Streets of Rage

Why does Sega hate Streets of Rage so much? No less than 4 attempts have been made to resurrect the series, all of them being cancelled for one reason or another, most shocking is Ruffian Games pitch getting cancelled which looked the most promising of the bunch.
youtu.be/BWqOoMRUgm8
youtu.be/JtOIdgP7U44

Other urls found in this thread:

soronline.net/sorr.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's just a simple little series from the past. What would they even do with it.

Make a new game.

So I can move right and mash a melee button? I'm good.

Simple little series? Have you even played Streets of Rage 2, its a game that oozes charm all over the place, fun and challenginggameplay, nice visuals and just fucking amazing music. It easily surpassed its competitor Final Fight 2 which was just a rehash of FF1 and im not the only one to say this. SOR3 while different to its predecessor is still awesome and has lots of neat improvements. Pacman is simple, fucking SOR isn't.

You clearly haven't played the game if you believe this, not even Double Dragon is that simple.

You just walk right and mash melee.
True. Sometimes you pick up an object and mash melee

Hello there bait, meet fish.

It's not my fault that nostalgia has clouded your senses. It's a common thing in life.

Nigger I didn't even play the games until a year ago.

The desire to like something "classic" for credibility is an even more common occurrence. Especially among those who never lived it.

Your "arguments" are really enticing, but I'm afraid this is where we part ways. It's late and I need sleep.

Bump

I'd love a new Streets of Rage. I still play 3 sometimes.

Damn, that's some dedication to truly shit up a thread this hard. Nice derailing.

3 is amazing, too bad about the soundtrack but everything else is wonderful. Did you know that the japanese version (Bare Knuckle 3) has a different story? There's an english patch available for it too.

I did not know that. I think I'll look into that later tonight, thanks user

I am happy they are ignoring it. Seeing a modern "game" with this title would just break my heart.

There is also the fan made remake. I never played it, but it does look nice.

soronline.net/sorr.htm

Looking back now, the SOR series has a problem of tone. The first one was down to earth, the thughs mostly had sensible designs, the stages had a progression that made sense. But the sequels became more outlandish, with exotic locations like a jungle base or an underground arena; and enemies like ninjas and goddamn robots and a motherfucking brain in a vat!

Not saying the sequels are bad, but they go so over the top that they just don't give me the same comfy feel. (The subpar SOR3 soundtrack doesn't help either.)

It's not a remake and more of a mash-up of the 3 games. The difficulty is a little ridiculous if you dont use the patch and the two new OC donuts steels are kind of a turn off but is fine aside from that.

Bump

I'd like to see them do something new with Streets of Rage. Doesn't have to be a big game. People would buy it on nostalgia alone.

Kill yourself.

The reason why fighting force thing fell trough was because the developer wanted to release the game on other consoles of the time under the sor name, and sega wasn't having any of that.

I have only played the original which are the 2 OCs?

Is one of them skate?

Skate appeared in 2 and 3. The new characters seem to be a muscle man and a robot man.

We already had muscle man in 2 and robot man in 3.

It wouldnt be the first series to take a turn for the wacky. I dont see this would be the main reason the series was buried. It was more of the entire gente dying because of the death of arcades IMO.

Is it actually true that a SoR game was cancelled because the president of Sega of America at the time never even knew the series existed?

Bump

Sega of Japan never cared "that much" about Streets of Rage, mainly because it was far more successful in the West than in Japan.

SoR2 exists basically because Sega of America pressured SoJ to make it, since the first iteration was a big success in America.

Even today, if you search for fanmade stuff about Streets of Rage, be it fangames, fanarts, cosplays or even fanfilms (linked), you will find everything is done in the West.

It's dead, it passed away and that's good because if Sega wants to make a game then they'll have to make something new.

If you disagree, look at all the remakes/reboots Hollywood does and imagine that in gaming.

You are kinda right, at least i can hope for a fangame.

As a SoR fan, I prefer having no SoR4 game at all than having a bad SoR4.

We know very well Sega's experience in "resurrecting" their old glories (see Golden Axe, Altered Beast…)

Sega US wanted to do something with it for years and had comissioned prototypes or pre-visuals every few years. Fighting Force was originally SOR 4 and Sega US wanted to sign two Core Design games as exclusives (SOR 4 and Tomb Raider) but Sega Japan threw a tantrum over the IP even when the original Dev team was fine with it. Sega US and Europe had to settle with a timed exclusive and porting assistance with Tomb Raider on the Saturn.

They tried on the Dreamcast with Visual Concepts and got turned down by Sega Japan. They tried on the Xbox, and got turned down (Even with MS support) and settled for localising and releasing Spikeout as a compromise with Sega Japan. Back a few years ago they got pretty far into actually getting concept alphas made by a few studios like Ruffian Games, GRIN and Ninja Theory that were all turned down (And the Ruffian Games one looked really tight in asthetics and just needed a guiding hand on the combat system)

It's just one of those IP's where Sega Japan blocked any attempt to fuck with "Thier" game out of some retarded sense of pride. Like everything else.

Oh god.

My point precisely and this kind of thing is already starting to go mainstream in gaming, just look at NuDoom and NuQuake.

Lazy developers + old hits = Golden Axe

It's a good series but you know they're going to shit it up if they make a new game

SOR > FF

Side-scrollng beat'em ups are made for arcades and the 80's generation. That's the time when kids actually left the house, walked the streets with friends, occasionally got into fights, before meeting up at the arcade.

If you didn't grow up in that environment, then you'll never really appreciate these games.