How many video games actually address "mature" themes? You know, the really gritty shit like rape, child soldiers...

How many video games actually address "mature" themes? You know, the really gritty shit like rape, child soldiers, human trafficking?
I'm not trying to sound edgy or anything, but it's something that not a lot of games even bother to try and approach, and with good reason - most people probably don't want to deal with this shit while playing a video game. I don't mean some edgy game built entirely around it like Super Columbine Massacre RPG, but a game where it's not afraid of going there while still actually being a game. pic related

I didn't play MGSV or anything, but wasn't Kojima touting it as pushing the line on acceptable content within a video game? Whatever happened with that?

Well, not the shit you posted, that's for sure. Legion was so silly it may as well just be satire

Pic related.

Nothing, kojima is a hack and the only line he could ever push forward is the cinematic line.

I was more talking about all the rape and drug abuse, who gives a shit about the Legion?

I dont think games can cover these themes well.

You get a game like MGS and its just pages of story fluff that makes your eyes glaze over. Or you get something that tries to be deep and it just ends up "RAPING CHILD SOLDIERS IS EVILBAD" and the antagonist just ends up being a silly parody

I think a truly well written game with interactive dialog (think BG or Planescape) is the right way to present it, because the player has choice

In the end, Kojimbles pussied out and made the game really tame. You couldn't harm child soldiers, you adopt them into your base after that cutscene where you fire wildly into the cell they're in, they never explored Camp Omega or even mentioned it again even though the red band trailer showed the that prisoner being executed inside the camp. Ultimately, games want to be considered art but shy away from genuinely mature themes. He could have done a really great job showing the gradual descent into madness as a result of the thirst for vengeance. Instead we got cut content and an ending that made no sense.

To answer your question, I think LISA did a pretty good job with those themes. Drug abuse, child molestation, and the guilt that comes from being unable to help those in need as a result of your flaws were all main themes of the game. Brad was an MC that I genuinely felt bad for, despite how shit of a person he was.

Player choice is part of games but even without that you can make do with good writing.

In terms of controversial content I think GZ was way more taboo, it makes me wonder if Kojima hated the controversy or something. But I guess some developers just aren't comfortable with the subject matter and ask their superiors to get around it or something, like with the Manhunt games by Rockstar. The first involved your character given a second chance after being on death row and he's forced to partake in snuff films for freedom, and that almost caused a mutiny at the company. The second I hear almost got an AO rating and had to be really toned down. I guess devs just aren't comfortable with the material or they don't want to risk having bad media attention.

I dunno about you, but a CoD where shotas and lolis fight each other to the death sounds like fun.

i remember a part of arcanum were you discover the breeding conspiracy of half-orcs and half-ogres, pretty disturbing shit.
To bad you cant do shit about it.

Just like in real life.

So basically, you want a Gunslinger Girl CoD?

I'd play that.

Did pic related ever get translated? It's more of a rail shooter than a FPS though. Not sure if it's any good.

You're both getting autistic and missing OP's point, he's not saying that the game was good or realistic he's saying that it addressed those themes.

While I do think New Vegas is good, that's not really the point of this thread, so let's cut this short before it descends into NV vs FO3 shitflinging.

user, if you think Fallout NV and its cringey as fuck dialogue (like all Bethesda games) address any "adult" problem its obvious you've never watched any fucking movie ever

It's not a lot, but it is for a video game. And that's just sad.
What about those SWAT games? Didn't some of those have you raid a serial killer's house?

SWAT 5 had you going into some house to rescue a kidnapped girl, can't remember much but the guy looked like a rapist and a weirdo (bunch of female busts lying around) and the kidnapped female was in some dirty basement .

Isn't it the tutorial/first mission with his mom randomly having a shotgun?

I would love a historic games where I can have army of child soldiers and slaves. Raping the enemy would be cool too. These subjects aren't more mature than say killing someone in video games. If you can kill someone for fun then I should be able to rape some whores for fun too.

Danganronpa is about watching a bunch of likeable 15 year olds brutally murder each other and then get violently executed when they are discovered.

Witcher 3 deals with child sacrifices and the whole series is morally grey, not some cartoony black and white.

That's just kidnapping, though. It's not like he was selling girls to some seedy underworld oil sheikh so they could become prostitutes in some eastern yuro hellhole.

Come on, man, that's not even close to what we're talking about.

I don't see why not, I thought this was a thread for games with very dark subject matter

I said gritty shit, not anime high schoolers murdering each other for the 30th time. That's not dark at all.

This War of Mine. If you want gritty shit, then that has it in spades. Though it focuses more on the civilians in conflict so it might not be the kind of grit you're looking for.

Here you go user, listen to a cuck talk about how gaming needs more black people in it so he's not scared of being called a manbaby.

So the visuals have to be gritty looking for it to count?

Huh, I've never even heard of this. This is actually exactly what I was talking about - a shitty aspect of life that doesn't get seen very often. How does it actually play? Is it just 2deep indie bullshit, or is it actually a grueling civilian survival simulator?

When was the last time a bunch of teenagers were forced to live in a school and the only way to get out is to murder someone else?

Max Payne 3, it has some of what OP is talking about, remember that condenmed building level?

about human traffic, i recall Far Cry 3 touching the subject, they were going to sellthe MC bother to some Yemen rich guy.

The combat is a bit wonky but it's good from what I've played a while back. I've been planning to get back into it, especially with the new expansion that fleshes out kids and shit.

Who said it had to be real?

I noticed it's got some DLC, too. Is it worth a pirate?

This guy is a fucking retard.

Playing a Japanese games with Japanese characters doesn't turn me off from gaming. Playing the Wing Diver in EDF doesn't upset me because she's a woman and I'm a man.

Games are good because of the care the developers put into the game. If they have to put in a bunch of shit to "appeal" to others, the developers will be the ones turned off and the game will be worse for it. Just let developers make the games they want to make and stop trying to insert your cuckold fantasies into every game.

Though most of it's comical, the parts that do take themselves seriously are spot-on.

Care to provide any examples? I need to get around to playing Rance some day.

How far would you want a game to go with this? Like what kinds of weapons? If you take out an enemy, would there be gore?

Off the top of my head, games I know of that approach genuinely mature topics with anything resembling tact are

>Drakengard 1 and 3 to a degree

And that's all I can think of. Games are usually fine with copious amounts of violence and death but anything sexual is usually met with hesitance at best.

How many R rated films cover rape, child soldiers, or human trafficking?

"Mature themes" will never be properly addressed in games and that's ok. Games are stuff you do when you're on a mental vacation. People prefer to be entertained rather than engaged.

hey I like that movie

Okay. No need to get defensive.

Kojima is a hack

TAKEN was originally R-rated in Europ right? I think it got edited down to PG-13 for the States.

but it was a really nice movie and Liam Neeson is a really nice man

I've never heard that before.

Those aren't really mature themes, more important is not stuff you see on front page tabloid, but the shit you don't, that affect you greatly yet is either acceptable while still being shit or subtle/hidden, often under guise of greater good. Also important is human psychology/relations and other stuff as most games simply make Big Bad Evil Guy with "reasons" like madness or some other stupid out-of-the-ass shit, or some banal shit like mental trauma/bad childhood and others while not touching completely reasonable stuff or different points of view that the player can relate to or understand.

As for the usual "shock" content, no videogame will portray it good enough because it'll simply be banned, irl videos do that much better.

Look up House of the Dying Sun.
You are trying to exterminate a faction, I don't wabt to spoil the details.

Yeah no group should be THAT competant, Legion has everything too goddamned under control

Most people have a really distorted view of what realistic and "mature" are. No one fights to be the big bad guy who bombs hospitals because there's one or two enemies in it. Even bloody genocides, such as the Albigensian Crusade were done with good intentions, and the mass-killings were only brought by continued Catholic failure in certain areas of the Languedoc. By the way: why are there no games about the Albigensian Crusade? There's plenty of material, like the Cathars having massive storages of treasure, gold, gems, and even the Holy Grail which Christ drank from during The Last Supper.

a nigga lyk da part when slime go he gon get dem nyckas cuh he kno how to go about scrappin w/ nyckas lyk dat n he gon get das ass mofucka whooo boi fam neesons kno how to get it in mothafucka i kno he got dat ski slope wut did his wife dirty lyk dat monica fa sho bet dat nycka 100

i mean slime not rly a killa but don't push him feel me.

Why wouldn't they? The NCR had gotten decadent and lazy and Caesar spent years planning shit. Of course if you didn't skip dialogue you'd know that.

Go back to Arizona, you spearchucker.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little profligate?
I’ll have you know I graduated top of my cohort in the Legion,
and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on the NCR, and I have over 300 confirmed kills.
I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top legionary in the entire Legion.
You are nothing to me but just another target.
I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this wasteland, mark my fucking words.
You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the vault terminal network? Think again, profligate. As we speak I am contacting my secret network
of frumentarii across the wasteland and your vault ID is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, profligate.
The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my lawn mower blade machete.
Not only am I extensively trained in melee combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Caesar's legion and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the wasteland, you wastrel.
If only you could have known what Caesar's holy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue wastrel.
But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you mars damn degenerate.
I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it.
You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

What a surprise, the Legionnaire spouts his canned rhetoric like he's been taught to. Like I said, go back to Arizona and jerk off to your cult of personality disinfo war god. Fucking jumped up tribal cunts.

Nothing says "braving the wasteland" like football gear and jock straps.

Nice bump, faggot

In my opinion, Age of Decadence does some of this well

Yes this truly is one of the GOAT crpg games and the graphic and detailed storytelling and character creation.

I spent a long time to roll a char that could get arena champ as well as true best secret ending

oh shit nigger what am I doing this has been in my backlog for forever

Dude it is good it is Arcanum/Planescape Torment good.

I gotta get my shit together, now that I've played babby mode BG I should be able to move up to some real CRPGs.

This. You can even be for or against the child sacrifices given the context.

People send kids into the swamp to be abducted and eaten by the Crones, basically swamp witches. In return, the Crones ensure good harvests and stuff like that. Now keep in mind the entire region is desperately poor and starvation isn't uncommon in a bad season. Then you've got the war, and war orphans to deal with. People have to choose between feeding their own children or these orphans, alternatively sending the orphans and kids they can't feed into the bog to follow a "trail of treats" where candy and other food leads the often starving children to the witches.

It really is a morally grey scenario.

Well yes I do think youths are very fast and have short attention spans (unless you read books often). When you mature mentally you have the focus to read text and enjoy RPG mechanics more.

Do Wiz 8 if you haven't beaten that too.

Gee, where have I heard that before?

There is enough dialogue in Planescape to fill two novels. Even a generic NPC you find on the street has about two pages worth of text if you chat him up. Don't go into the game unless you like reading, or you'll end up like that sperg a few months back that came here whining about having to read too much

This War of Mine is pretty good. Circumstances can force you into some tough decisions, especially after somebody else fucks you over. Combat is wonky but understandably so since you play a variety of untrained civilians trapped in the warzone. It's a good game, give it a go.

Only dark thing I can think of in Rance is a demon making a young girl get mercilessly raped by a group of young boys.

Great game.

Dunno what you're referencing but you may have heard it before. The Witcher pulls a lot of stuff from Polish folklore in particular, and similar sources.

Not really friendo. Pretty black and white.

I actually ragequit sengoku after kou got raped. What a shit game Rance is such a fucking cuckold and on Rance 3 he gets cucked by demons 3 times in a row because he cannot beat them.

you're stretching the truth with this. Yeah, you CAN go do bad shit, but other than swapping an NPC or two (the ones you are robbing) to 'hostile', the game makes little effort into reacting to that. Not to mention you can easily go through the game without doing anything immoral if you aren't completely shit

I went in hoping for a half decent GSG, and ended up with absolutely abysmal, retarded writing imaginable (honestly worse than most fanfiction out there, Jesus Christ).

I've always loved reading, especially as a kid. I mean, I used to eat up JRPGs like they were going out of style which, in retrospect, they were and I get that they're not compatible to open, dialogue-driven games like Planescape or Arcanum. I never had any problem getting into it, I wanted to learn to like them as a teenager, but I always wound up moving on to something else.
I dunno, I think it has more to do with the CRPG style than the amount of bullshit I have to read. I never was big on adventure games as a kid. Maybe I was just doing it wrong.

Fuck, I meant comparable, not compatible.

Tactics Ogre

Any good? I've heard it is like FFT.

Trouble with character building?

Black and white? Why's that an easy decision for you? Choosing to let witches eat some kids or letting lots of people starve?

True the world doesn't react much to"evil" actions but depending on the personalities of the people in you group, they can get depressed and even commit suicide if they feel too guilty or whatever.

Eeh, I think it's because those games just felt like they had SO MUCH to offer, my retarded teen brain was paralyzed by the amount of choices I had. It's probably why I couldn't get more than 3 or 4 hours into Fallout, as well.
Well, at least my backlog is staying healthy. Fallout 1 is particularly grim, even by Fallout standards. Well, I guess the appropriate statement would be that the rest of the Fallout games aren't grim enough.

Kojima is a fucking hack that's what happened.

Why would anyone even give him the time of day?

I say this, but then I remembered that I played through the entire Geneforge series, so I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.
Go play Geneforge, by the way. Stellar setting and themes.

Good taste with geneforge, but it's like you were complaining about your inability to walk, only to follow with a remark about how you like to run marathons

I dunno, man.

Because there is always an alternative to just starving or sending kids to die.

The Peasants are lazy, stupid and selfish and it is inherently evil to send children to be eaten by witches. They are chaotic evil like stupid beasts.

One of the peasants sent their girl to die because she spilled a bucket of milk (am waiting for GOTY edition before I play again) and caused them not to be able to have enough food. Someone with more than one braincell would have thought "Gee this food is really important I better not let a child do this task".

Already beaten 1-5.. Played most of the CRPG on the list.

Fallout 3 had a depressing atmosphere, just like real life.

Oh yeah, the Lisa series has all of the themes kids love: Rape, incest, child abuse, drug abuse, self-harm, depression, false imprisonment, the sort of things that get it compared to Undertale.

It's like FFT's cooler older brother.

That's SWAT 4 you fucktard there's no 5.

And thats nothing compared to the child graves you find that occult complex

Except when there isn't.

It's an easy decision for you because you're not playing by the rules. They're dumbfuck peasants, they don't have any alternatives. Nothing to trade, no valuable skills except farming and hunting and fishing, the latter two being somewhat dangerous thanks to all the monsters. They're not chaotic evil at all, they're just dumb and in a really hard place.

The decision is between letting lots of people including children starve and die, maybe with some plagues thrown in because the Crones are cunts, or sending children they can't support into the swamp.

It's not nearly such a straightforward decision when you consider it in context of the Witcher world.

Decisions are a lot easier to make when you're the super special protagonist rather than some dipshit NPC like most of us would actually be.

Rape you say.

What the fuck is this supposed to be?