8/v/'s guide to Yoko Taro's games

Yo Holla Forums Should we make a in depth guide on Moonman's games for future reference and overall help in getting to the crazy nip's games?

Include the wall of text from the other thread. Was really informative. But please no sexualizing the characters please.

Play: Not Drakengard 2
Avoid: Drakengard 2

1000 hours in Microsoft Word

It was quite informative on the elusive D3 background, but I'm not sure how much I can trust something that claims the grotesqueries are in D1's ending A.

This tbh

Which one?

also should I put the over all lore importance in the guide and should I put this sum up of Drakengard 1 in or should a better sum up be made?

I suppose I could throw something together later as far as information layout goes (heading to bed in a few minutes; I can check back later today if the thread's still up) since I've got the programs and some skill with doing so, but I'm honestly not real familiar with the games just yet myself, apart from Holla Forums enjoying them and them apparently being rather fucked up. I'd be willing to make use of stuff other people mention as being worth bringing up in something for it, though preferably with avoidance of spoilers. Could be a while before it were to be finished though (I've done a few series infographics before and they've taken me a good while to get satisfied with, though I suppose that's more due to me doing them as personal projects and having already become really invested in the series they were for), but with some information provided by fellow anons I could work at it and post it in some thread down the line. Stuff like overall series description, individual game introductions (spoiler free if possible), tips/tricks for making it a smoother ride, game mechanics descriptions if need be; that sort of thing.

Strikes me that something like that might work better copied to a pastebin, which could then be linked under a resource section or something, if it contained a lot of possible spoilers. I mean, I saw it, but I didn't read through it all for the sake of avoiding spoilers. But that's if you want to have it as part of the actual image and not just a separate screenshot compilation.

We all could make our own and have a vote on what prototype works for our needs.

sounds like a good idea

Also we should put a warning for 3 seeing has 8-4 cucked that game up and since Nier Automata is coming to pc we should say be on the look out for a possible fan patch.

Might as well link a what I've done before (both images in >>10783356; middle images in ), but all I'm suggesting is decide on the information that ought to be on there first, provide it, and then someone can work on arranging it effectively. Big thing for starting out though is just deciding what needs to be covered (with my examples up there, those have a series overview, individual game descriptions, possible other media, and mechanics explanations/tips).

Also, with Nier Automata on the horizon, it strikes me that it might be best to leave whatever is made open to modification, or at least saving some space for it, rather than just wrapping things up after covering Drakengard, Drakengard 2, Nier, and Drakengard 3 on the "games" end of things (admittedly part of an issue with making things for ongoing series or even systems, compared to now dead/dormant ones, in that they eventually need maintenance as new stuff comes out).

It strikes me that a general "Censorship/Fuck ups" section could work.

Oh, so a colon breaks post links while a comma doesn't? Relinking first set.

A version that is for getting people into the games for now is good.

Don't forget it has Denuvo.

WAIT IT DOES!

True, but it factors into the layout. If you've got something where a new entry in a series is unlikely at this point, a piece of concept art can work reasonably well as a background since you can fit and size everything in there that's needed without needing to bother with much of an update once done (those Wild Arms images for example; only update I've had to do thus far was add the PSN rerelease of WA3 when it came out some months back, since Sony hasn't seen fit to allow a new entry in a decade or so). With active series, you'd either have to resize/rearrange stuff to create more room if using an existing artwork image (which, if you don't have the original background large enough, results in more noticeable pixelation as it's enlarged), or you can build the background and layout from scratch and thus be able to adjust it however is needed, provided you still keep the workable file around.

But again, information needs to come first, layout second. Determine the content (both what it is and how much there is), then arrange it.

Ah this helps

I want to be absolutely destroyed, do you think his next game for PC will accomodate this?

Seeing how all of his games are extremely fucked and yoko is a huge troll I think it will

I feel like this way oversells Drakengard and misses the point, mostly in the gameplay department; Taro has stated the subpar gameplay wasn't an intentional idea, but a lack of the dev team's experience. Had they the skill and time they would've polished the hell out of it, to put the player more in Caim's shoes as someone who gets his rocks off slaughtering people. In the end, the gameplay we got ended up synergizing well with the story, setting, plot and music. A happy mistake.

But they also added weird shit cause yoko is just a crazy fuck but shall a new sum up of Drakengard be made?

A new sum up should be made; overselling the game like that might only disappoint new players, expecting the most mind-blowing psyche-shattering experience ever. Rather than the whole CRUSH YOUR MIND PENIS INTO DUST YOU MASOCHISTIC FUCK (since that's missing the point, just like selling Dark Souls as "hardest game ever"), present it as something that invokes a strange but refreshing emotional response that not a lot of games try to strive for. Maybe not uplifting or satisfying, but something worth trying if you give it a chance. I wonder if that sounds pretentious enough.

This works

Oh! I can contribute to this guide!
Every game he ever made is quite terrible.
/thread

So much salt

What exactly do you mean when you say guide? Were you thinking of something like the /cgg/ chart but for Drakengard/Nier?

Probably

This what I had in mind.

Well we'd need a bunch of information for it. Namely

And preferably someone with decent Photoshop skills to make the chart.

I have some skills.

Hardcore: Drakengard (JP) and Nier Replicant (JP-only PS3 ver.)

Gaymer tier: Drakengard and Nier (NTSC/PAL releases)

Pleb tier: Anything but the original Drakengard and Nier

Anybody have the newer version of this, with Bayo, NGB, and DMC3 on top?

plebs all of you

Can anyone recommend more 2d games in this style? I feel like there are more that I just can't remember from my binges of looking through steam for what to pirate.

Should put the JP ones in too

aint comfired you fucking kike

why is nier replicant hardcore and western papa nier "gaymer" tier?

you're such a fucking weeaboo user.

don't play them, they're not very good

Will hopefully get NieR soon for birthday/Christmas. Worst case I'll just have to watch an LP of it.

Drakengard is a weird one. I went into it with little knowledge of what it was. I stuck with it, continually asking myself "am I actually enjoying this?".

As far as I know, Nier (the PS3 version anyhow) tends to flucuate in price somewhat, but given its been reprinted at least once, it shouldn't be all that much. I think last time I saw it at a store it was probably like $20 preowned.

I had a hard time finding a copy in Bongland. Luckily I had someone you had a copy but never played it.

So for Drakengard 3, what's the best way to play it. The localization is completely fucked, so is the only way to play it by learning moon and play the JP version?

Jap

Yeah, I'm not real sure if Square bothered to send that reprint to PAL areas. Seems like at times it's generally just North America that sees reprints for various games, though with region free systems like the PS3, I suppose that's not the worst case scenario.

Stop saying things that haven't been confirmed or denied
Just say that it might or even will likely have denuvo.

To the other user, the reason this faggot keeps saying this in every thread the game is brought up is because Squenix has used denuvo on their last couple PC games. Noone from Squenix nor Platinum has said anything about the game having or not having denuvo.

I'm just worried if it does.

I really like Drakengard's music. Not really sure why, but its nice.

He's never made a game above a 4/10