GNU/Linux Thread

Still gaming on NSA/Windows in 2016?

God, you're pathetic.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinelerra
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity_(audio_editor)
reddit.com/r/VFIO/wiki/index
appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17488
techne.alaya.net/?p=12499
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterogeneous_System_Architecture
boards.4chan.org/g/
reddit.com/
news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-might-soon-track-absolutely-everything-you-do-for-your-own-good-508602.shtml
paste.teknik.io/raw/1I0ZJ
gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/how-to-organize-your-steam-games-with-playonlinux.554/
rms.sexy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

linux has nogames

/thread

We have Wine.
Wine fucking sucks please help us

I'm thinking of getting a Fury X to replace my GTX 670. Does that sound alright or am I making a mistake?

Oh haha I get it. The joke is that anyone can easily install linux at any time, but they don't because it's shit.

I'll switch to Linux when fighting games start supporting it

Stop making the same shitty thread over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, you piece of shit.

On second thought, instead of the Fury X I might just get a GTX 1070.

Nice meme.

Fuck off, retard.

Dat stockholm syndrome.

>>>/mexico/

Stay butthurt, weebcuck.

NOH

Yes I do love SNK fighters

What the fuck do you even do on a linux?

Just code all day and pretend you're cool? Listen to music with your SUPER ADVANCED FLAC PLAYERS?

There's literally fucking nothing to do on the system because 99% of stuff is made for Windows.

>NOH
but the 1070's around the same price as the Fury X but with better performance. Unless there's something better you'd like to name?

1. Freedom, I'll give you that one.
2. Pirate dude
3. Windows can be pirated easily, and activated easily as well
4. I have never been hampered by a RAM limit
5. No strong opinion either way
6. Fair enough
7. I will just use my pirated windows thank you
8. No strong opinion
9. No opinion
10. What exactly do you mean by Godly?
11. And sadly suffers horribly from regression
12. That is nice enough, but I rarely use it. I always put ISOs on a dvd so I have an extra back up anyways.
13. Fair enough
14. Ok
15. This is a flat out lie, again the systems suffer a lot from regression. Though it sometimes can be easily fixed.
16. Functionality I don't need, or want.
17. Explain
18. Fair enough
19. Refer to 10
20. I don't like using virtual desktops since having an OS is usually better. I have XP, and it works with almost any game.
21. Functionality I don't need
22. That is only because it is unpopular
23. It is nic not having lots of bloatware
24. My software is free to :^)
25. Functionality I don't need, I'll just pirate anything I might want to add.
26. Refer to 25
27. Fine enough
28. It is nice to have software that does one thing very well that I might need
29. No strong opinion
30. Not relevant to me since Linux is so unpopular, I will learn coding from making games anyways.

Gonna have to do better than that to get me to switch. Compatibility is a top priority for me, you can't play all my games I am not interested. Linux has a lot of stuff I don't need though there is that.

Any media player can play flac files, unless you're the kind of retard who uses itunes.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as NSA/Windows, is in fact, NSA/Canonical/GNU/Linux/NT/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, NSA + Canonical + GNU + Linux + NT + Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another spyware component of a fully functioning NSA system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by the US Department of Defense.

Many computer users run a modified version of the NSA system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NSA which is widely used today is often called "Windows", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NSA system, developed by the United States Government.

There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. NT is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is
normally used in combination with the Ubuntu operating system: the whole system is basically Ubuntu with NSA added, or NSA/Canonical/GNU/Linux/NT/Windows. All the so-called "Windows" distributions are really distributions of NSA/Canonical/GNU/Linux/NT/Windows.

Fuck off you're just making other gnu/linux users look bad OP

Bruh you know I fuck wit Arch but that shit ain't got no gaems

Please stop making these threads. It's embarrassing to watch idiots mount a half-assed defense of Linux when it just doesn't manage gaming well. Driver support is still lacking after several years of intensive efforts since Steam debuted on the platform, and publishers are largely ignoring it because the user base isn't there. The only people with a vested interest in Linux becoming a gaming platform are Valve, because the Windows Store threatens their virtual monopoly over digital distribution.

Feel free to proclaim the benefits of Linux, but gaming isn't really one of them.

But user it's FREE. So free in fact that you can't even find half the essential drivers you need!

It might get better or faster later on but so far the coding is just a big fat slog, sure I can do shit like mass delete files but who gives a shit. I am never going to use 95% of that crap

comfy as fuck.

Same here. Was thinking about upgrading to Win10. Don't give a shit about the security stuff, I'm not a pedo anyway so I have nothing to hide. Is there a reason to stick with Win7?

The Windows/NSA shilling in this thread is over the top.

We all know you're being paid to spread misinformation and doubt because it threatens you. Anti-freedom shills can leave now.

I had to use a win10 laptop, that thing's a mess and it has no advantages over win7

Other than that, it has a bloated start menu and is missing plenty of features like the photo viewer.
I have a cousin who is pretty happy with it, but all he does is write seminar papers and emails.

Why would i want to use Linux? It has no proper audio/production software.

Virtual machine

I tried pushing the kvm meme a while ago but everyone here is retarded and can't into config files.

i decided to try win 10 because i was doing a harddrive reset a while ago. along with turning off all the backdoors and shit and using a program to keep them turned off and its still not as good as 7, i mean it does have a few advantages like just generally working smoothly but its full of dumbass shit you have to change or install add ons for that you really shouldn't need to

like it doesn't have a regular fucking calculator option, which seems fucking bonkers to me

Alright you convinced me. That's really too bad. I was hoping to upgrade my OS but there's nothing to upgrade to, it seems. Win8 is a major failure and Win10 is a pile of shit. Oh well.

Nigga you dumb.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinelerra
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity_(audio_editor)

nice meme

Audacity is pretty barebones.

hey user, how difficult is that to set up?

OH MUH NIGGA
IS YOU IN FOR A TREAT

Most relevant thread I suppose.

A few older games I'm trying to play are cropped and I think I found the reason why, this little box needs to be unchecked but it won't let me. I can't find anything on the internet. I'm using regular DPI settings.

How do I get 32 bit wine running on centos 7. Yes I'm retarded and should have installed mint, but still.

Can't say I know much seeing as I've had no reason to do it, but what I know is that you need at least a CPU with integrated graphics, a GPU, and maybe a second screen.

Could read around this if you're interested: reddit.com/r/VFIO/wiki/index

I want to make the switch but this is Holla Forums not Holla Forums and my priorities reflect that.

If you're going to use Windows anyway, just use Windows.

Convincing argument.

Why aren't you playing a game that respects your freedoms?

The difference is that using a VM for Windows means it cant do shady shit with your actual stuff.

You should be using integrated intel chips, as they run the best on Lunix.

make sure you've neutered Telemetry, they back-ported it to Windows 7. I stopped updating after I removed it.

kys

But I'm not.

The only games that don't work are usually shitty AAA garbage. 99.99% of older games and new AA/Indie games will either work perfectly well through Wine or have Linux ports.

Holy shit people like you are the reason miscrosoft is still alive and fucking us in the ass.

If you like Arcade like games with no story bullshit, Lanoox is pretty great, Still, the current distro i am using is so old as shit i can't even get PS1 emulation to work so i use a separate Windows 7 PC for some gaems, and switching OSs would probably just fuck things even worse.

For those who want to switch i recommend a Ubuntu DE fork since vanilla Ubuntu includes a shitty Desktop Environment, just for gods sake don't fall for the debian maymay.

Sage because OP is a anti-linux shill who never provides a real argument.

Using windows means indirectly supporting white genocide.

Windows has more game compatibility than Linux and Mac.

Help, I can't find anything on this.

What is: Wine, for $200.

Everything without systemd is fine in my books.

Run in compatibility mode?
#windowslife

I've tried that, tried running in 640x480, I've tried the most common solutions, lowered my resolution, went into nvidia panel and set so games scale in their aspect ratio.

I even bothered to compile GZDOOM!

Oh yeah Linux has few actual exclusive commerical games, Dead Heat and Tank Tank Tank! check out the /1cc/ board

Do you shower with your door open?
Do you post nudes of yourself on the internet, regularly?
Do you let other people read your own emails any time they ask without any restrictions whatsoever?

I feel like if I reboot into windows that my hard drives will be murdered.

Please, give me all your passwords and logins to such things as:
It's not a matter of 'nothing to hide'. Doesn't it irks you that somewhere on internet is posted all valuable info about yourself?
Just value what you can keep to yourself, since you browse mongolian housewives cooking forum i assume you have pretty nice chunk of info about yourself on your PC. Don't make M$ get your soul
Inb4 tinfoil hatter, bully me all you want but it doesn't change fact that you should stay as much off grid as you can

that's you playing windows games

to be honest if you're still PC gaming at all post 2010 you are an idiot

linux is a meme

VULKAN WILL BE THE SAVIOR OF LINUX GAMING

ebin

(You)'re trying too hard mate

Use Arch or an Arch fork if you're not NEET enough to deal with updates breaking everything.

she's lucky she wasn't a goat.

Tank Tank Tank is a battletanx-like? holy shit i need this

I still don't understand why the fuck would you use Linux for gaming more than anything else, jesus fuck.

Well I guess it's back to windows

hahahahaha

Goyim yes!
Give us all of your private information goy!
Trust us, we care about you, that's why we developed xbox, xbone, onedrive (which is free!).

Go to Holla Forums
What do you mean they don't work?

He means he was too dense to try solving the issue for even two minutes and retreated to the comfort of wangblows like an infant crying for his mother.

I bet he's got a mechanical keyboard.

I bet you thought the PS3(which coincidentally also could use linux) had games too.

Logitech. I looked it up for an hour but couldn't find asolution

At least I'm gaming.

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=17488

Because new games can't run on Wine. And virtualization is also a load of shit. Vulkan failed to become the new standard, no surprise there, Microsoft is really good at their propaganda.

I don't want to use Windows, but I also don't want to use Linux or Crapple. Until there's another option, I'll have to stick with the OS that just works Windows, because it's not controlled by savants or power hungry fucktards who feel they are the leading authority to dictate how technology should evolve (that's a reference to Apple).

Open Market plus compatibility or fuck off. If your OS can't supply both an open market and compatibility with all commercial and free applications, then I don't care.

You are not a real gaymur if you don't support the cancer killing gaming just out of convenience.

Sure. If you have the one in a mllion hardware setup required to do it. Otherwise enjoy having to do anything from using a custom kernel to hardmodding your graphics card so it can do soft resets.

Is it a Bluetooth one?

Vulkan is brand new. Of course it's not in every game.

no

Just stop it. I see this every fucking thread and I can garuntee you everyone who repeats this over and over on Holla Forums has never actually set up a gpu passthrough much less knows how to do it.

Call me when the Adobe Suite is available on linux, which will be never.

I got no problem with hobbyism or using it on shitty hardware, but take your vidya on lincucks bullshit somewhere else, man.

I know that the government can see me whereever I go. I'm government property. I don't want those faggot companies seeing me however or their chinese employees.

you innocent naive child, it's like being cucked by a nigger or being cucked by a designated. you are being cucked.

It's too expensive for the govt to pay an assassin or a CIA operative tens of thousands of dollars to take your ass out or pay a hacker to spend 20 hours breaking into your ISP data.

It takes 0 seconds for M$ to know EVERYTHING about your pc (even if not going on any website) if you use shilldows.

Are you even a resident of this fine country? Nigger do you know what a no-knock warrant is? And what usually happens during said warrant? I can name a million fuckin ways they can kill my ass before I wake up tomorrow without costing them a dime.
Are you honestly implying they don't automatically tap into everyone's shit? Stop spouting 1990s tinfoil hat shit and get with current year tinfoil hat shit.
Makes no difference to me if a different corporation has access to my info. The best they can do with that shit is sell it to email spammers and ad agencies, even though I have adblock out the ass so at the end of the day nobody can really do anything except steal my identity, which can be done even without using winblows.

I'm no pessimist but I will admit when I'm fucked, lad.

Come back when there is decent video audio editing software and encoding tools.

Audacity and whatever trash freeware doesn't count.

Just an ordinary day

Actually, try different USB ports. I have seen issues with using the 3.0 ones, even on Windows.

Works for me.

Jokes on you OP I use both

Linux is kill. Most distributions have cuckholded themselves to systemd. Time to defect to one of the BSDs.

I am developing a game for Linux.
When it comes out, gaming on Linux will never be the same again.

Is it going to be free, as in free beer?

Microjew Wangblows = Vidya

Guhnoo Loonix = If you care about privacy on any level

/thread

I've thought about maybe open-sourcing the engine, but honestly I don't think that's something to think about until after the game is a success and people actually care about it.

I'll reserve the rights to my assets- I have to make a living somehow, you know…

It's a 3D game. I've spent the past several years learning both 3D programming and design (modeling, rigging, texturing, etc). Already wrote a robust 3D game engine from scratch.

I'm now reaching the point where the engine is mostly done and I move onto making content for about 5 months, then hopefully ship.

Sry for double post, BUT
The thing that sucks is I'm going to end up shipping right when Zelda Breath of the Wild and NX come out. And I don't really have the finances to wait it out.

RIP me

The fat communist speaks the truth (for once).

Don't forget how half the options are missing or hidden so deep, you'll never find them.
Basically a mobile phone interface that gives you less and less power over your own damn system.

works pretty well for me

Every day until you like it.

To think people really fell for the meme OS.

Without the use of something like PAE, all 32-bit operating systems have a 4GB RAM limit.
What he was referring to is that the 64-bit version of Windows also has a limit (16GB for Windows 7 Home Premium, 192GB for Windows 7 Ultimate, etc.).

oh, I didn't know premium had that limit
good thing i pirated ultimate anyway :^)

I do feel like a hacker
for about 2 minutes
then i get sick of how shitty it is and how many arbitrary commands i have to remember/look up just to use this thing
commandline interfaces belong in the 80s tbh fam

luckily programmers actually put documentation in their programs and/or have manuals that are readable

What the fuck is the point of using Linux if you're just going to emulate Windows anyway?

Installing lunux on a general purpose computer doesn't make you an epic hacker, it makes you a pretentious faggot.

wow

This. If all you use your PC for is browsing the web and playing vidya, Linux is a waste of time

See:

I wanted DX12 and it's removed from the internet.

This thread does the same as every Linux thread.

Call me back when we'll be able to have a real discussion without smug superiority or shill destruction.

>no software for my field of work and like hell i'm using VM, I might as well not install Linux to begin with if it comes to that
It's okay to have loonix on a laptop or something so you can shitpost from it, but I'm not gonna use it on my main tower(at least for now)

There will never be discussion in these threads because there's no discussion to have in the first place.

GNU/Windows master race

anyone using a hardened Linux distribution for gaming?

how do I run Dolphin 5.0 under it? compiling with -fno-pic and -fno-pie didn't make it work

Not really hardened, but I threw Steam into firejail and it works just as well. Might not work with PaX/grsec, though, since JIT doesn't work with it and some games or emulators require it.

Talking about which, I would like to know if someone could help me with this. Basically, I installed Steam on this computer some days ago. I configured everything and proceeded to download some games, and I also started a voice chat with some friends of mine. After a while, and after restarting the downloads several times because they would simply drop altogether, I went to Firefox (firejailed as well) to browse a bit about this problem. When I came back to my Steam workspace (I am using i3), my cursor got stuck in a small black window, as if it didn't load properly, in the middle of the screen. It captured every input except the tty switch hotkeys, which I used to reboot. After rebooting, the Steam client checked for updates (something it doesn't usually do, although it may had something to do with running it for the first time past Monday 00:00), and after downloading nothing, it booted as usual. Just in case, I removed the whitelisted .steam and .local/share/steam.

Does somebody know what the fuck happened? I assume it was some bugged dialog window that didn't load properly due to a combination of i3 and the fact that Steam does windowing like it pleases, probably something innocuous, but I'm still somewhat worried. Had it not been firejailed, I would have probably nuked the whole installation already, but since it is, I feel somewhat safer.

Just how likely would it be that someone targeted an attack against a guy who just logged in back after 3 years, and managed to exploit Steam and firejail or the kernel without causing a crash just to install some spyware in my computer? Should I start all over, or is the probability of this happening so near to zero I shouldn't worry? I guess it's just a benign bug, but I dunno.

I use i3 and Steam in wine and whenever there's an update the update window will pop up without showing contents, same for chats, this might be similar for native Linux Steam client when used with a wm

the client check is normal if your client didn't exit cleanly

also yes I use PaX but it's only Dolphin core dumping no matter what PaX markings I use on the binary, maybe I need to check the PaX markings of the used libaries too but I'll just play something that's not Wii and hope for someone else to fix my problem

They reckon SFV is going to have a Linux port but I've been waiting fucking ages.

That makes sense. Chats worked when I opened them manually, though. However, after rebooting, I didn't get any updates. Is that normal, or does the client just install updates without asking, then asks for a reboot? I've been so long without this I can't remember.

BTW, at which point does Dolphin crash? You may be able to disable JIT in dolphinrc if it crashes after boot. Try to disable most optimizations as well, just to diagnose the problem a bit better.

Nah, there is overlap. The amount of malware for Windows is so fucking stupid that like half of the times a computer is abnormally slow, it is caused by virii.

But I am not talking about malware for GNU/Linux. I am talking about exploits. Small difference.

Buyfags should check latest humble bundle. Devils Daggers and Prison Architect in there.

I meant to say when you receive chats. starting chats with someone works for some weird reason

also, dolphin crashes on game boot even when using the interpreter
[1] 27798 abort (core dumped) dolphin-emu

the dolphin 5.0 rc1 ebuild worked, I should have quickpkged that orz

It works great in WINE, but c'mon now. How can a Unity game not have a Linux port in 2016?

In case you decide to set up a Windows 7/8 machine to play PC games, this article covers stunting the telemetry functions:
techne.alaya.net/?p=12499
If you're installing Windows 10, you're fucked, obviously.

By the way, how far has the dGPU pass-through solution progressed in the last months?
I've read that Zen's HT-esque feature won't be supported in Windows versions older than 10, so I guess a setup change is in order.

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Are there any (ANY) worthwhile multiplayer games on Linux? As in, not Quake engine ports remodelled by five year olds.

Exclusively, you mean?
No, none.

get a load of this basic bitch

10/10 my fellow autist. Which text browser do you use? Links 2.13 here.

what's not to like?

w3m with image rendering because captchas
elinks for lighter browsing

Dark blue on black? Really?

BUMPING FOR LINUX GAMES BUMPING FOR OP

Linux is fucking boring and hard to use for vidya
Arch looks good but it's a pain to use, rice, configure, and learn
The wiki is a fucking mess too, telling someone who doesn't know what they're doing (myself included) to just "check the wiki" does nothing to help
It's that one comic all over again

Arch has a useful wiki, but that's by necessity.

into the trash your post goes

sed is a terminal program, therefore terminals>gooeys

i'm on linux and you're a faggot
kill yourself OP

Linux is an abomination, and the people who shill it aren't freeing others from windows, but preventing a superior OS from emerging.

>>>Holla Forums

Whoever you're quoting, they are wrong.

This. Switch to BSD today.

Yeah sure.

Hardware-level spying isn't a thing. Or to be more precise, you don't have to worry about it until you enter very bad goy territory because NSA would have to burn a zero-day on your phone baseband hardware or CPU "security" co-processor, or intercept a hardware shipment and manually bug it, like they did to a Tor developer.

i'd love to learn Linux again (actually started with Linux creating a squid proxy server back then) but my work demanded Windows. Where do I start? thanks

fuck off nigger. I've been using Xubuntu for years now and I must say "It's SHIT"
As soon as i manage to make room on my SSD I'll install Arch. The reason why I installed Xubuntu back then is because Arch installs in CLI and i just didn't want to deal with that. When Arch is no better I'll try Gentoo.

Team fortress 2 runs a little better in linux
I guess there's that
I mostly use it for server hosting and video editing
>inb4 some mercenary faggot >plyaing tf2

what video editor do you use
because
im use blender and it fucking sucks when ti comes to performance

I think he means converting video because neither Adobe Premiere nor Sony Vegas work on lonix, but FFMpeg does.

ffmpeg isnt a non-linear video editor like blender, kdenlive, etc.

however its gets the job done if you want something quick like this webm

Zen's hyper threading is nothing compared to the Heterogeneous System Architecture they've been working on.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterogeneous_System_Architecture

If this works properly it'll give a major boost to OSes that support it. Having several GPUs will finally make a real difference, right now it's useful only for very specific tasks. It's still a few years away from being added to the Linux kernel though.

What is this and where can I get one?

Looks like one of those camera cleaning tools. Check on Amazon.

Are they effective cleaning PC's? I can't imagine this thing pushing a lot of air.

Anywhere that sells cameras.

No it isn't. It's made for blowing specs of dust off camera sensors and lenses. Unless you're here while hooked up to a medical ventilator you can blow much harder than this thing through a straw.

I love Megadeth.

You can play Fightcade on Loonix, mate.

I'm using Linux Mint XFCE and goddamn I hate how you make threads only to bitch and moan without giving any info or advice on switching to Linux, or sharing news about new games, drivers or WINE development.

Fuck off retard until you can make decent threads

I'll give you that Pulseaudio is shit, but there's nice software on Linux

VSTs are still shit, though, but we're getting there, mate.

kdenlive is the current go-to video editor, it was pretty crashy some months ago but seems to have improved, if only they didn't fuck with the interface design every few months as well
still, save your work frequently because I don't trust anything to not crash on me mid-edit

Welp, after shilling for linux a few days ago, I just tried reinstalling dungeon siege 1 and 2 (I miss a mindless relaxing click hacknslash isometric rpg, ok?) and I must have wasted 5 FUCKING HOURS trying to make that shit work.
It fucking doesn't.

Luckily, I decided to quit video games a few weeks ago (well meanwhile I played g1 start to finish) so now I can finally do that.

Forgot to add:
If you do NOTHING EXCEPT video games, use shilldows.

If you browse Holla Forums, 4chan, etc. - linux.
If you want applications e.g. pdfmerger, gimp, accessibility with simple terminal commands, free office/excel - linux.

Linux is superior in every other way to M$ except vidya.

Oh and there are no viruses for linux and no malware (unless you try extremely hard to get one and make it your fulltime job to get malware on your machine).

Start executing random binaries you downloaded from the internet like a retarded windowsfag and you'll find that it's really not that hard to get your shit rekt.

boards.4chan.org/g/
reddit.com/
>>>Holla Forums
>>>/anywherebuthere/

Call me when you have proper audio and video editing tools, not shit like Audacity.

Mac is better than either Lunix and Windoze for that kinda shit, though.

Also, that has nothing to do with gaming, which is what the OP is about.

I don't get it.

Mac is fucking unix though, it's literally linux that you pay for and have less control over.

you're patheticerder

I seriously hope you guys aren't using any harmful software while you use Linux as your daily driver.

Like, you know, videogames?

You can't do efficient video editing in Linux though.

Slackware. Almost everything else is shit. Otherwise just use a BSD.

Define efficient.

You can get away with a little bit of solid editing but most of the time nothing professional grade.Shit like Blender lacks the ability to do most of the shit that Vegas/Premiere can do.

Not to mention they're all assbackwards to use but the aforementioned problem is still the platform's greatest folly.

t. I've done freelance video editing and have made Youtube Poops for 9 years

Isn't lightworks good enough?

No.

That's why I use kdenlive.

kdenlive is shit.

Correction - professional-grade Linux software is not publicly available. Many big studios run Linux. Someone (Pixar, I think?) released one of their in-house tools recently and, surprise, it's for Linux only.

does anyone know any actual fun linux games?

Have you tried Pingus?

ya dummy

What's a "linux game", really? As someone running linux exclusively, I play fun games all the time. Some are native, some are not. One way or the other, there's a fuckton of games out there that work on linux.

Most games are so shit though that the time you spend getting it to work is more fun than the game itself.

What hardware do you have? Blender works pretty well for me with an i5 Ivy and a GTX 780 when you switch on CUDA.

This is actually the biggest problem I have with Blender. Great CUDA support, but OpenCL is left in the dust. So switching to AMD is not an option ftm.

i've seen this on my japanese hentais

from Holla Forums
2 u

news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-might-soon-track-absolutely-everything-you-do-for-your-own-good-508602.shtml

you have some shit taste in vidya if your operating system is an important source of entertainment
may i suggest one of those baby control panel toys where they can sit and press buttons that make animal noises?

bumpin because I forgot what I was going to get
gonna write it down now so I remember this time

When it comes to gpus, the question is simple. Do you want open source drivers or not? If you do, then avoid nvidia. They have always been cunts to open source devs and are only getting worse with time. Their proprietary drivers have good performance in games, I'll give them that, but they are pretty shit otherwise.

paste.teknik.io/raw/1I0ZJ
this should keep you busy for a while

Has anyone tried linux subsystems for windows?

But its for my own good.

BSD becomes mainstream never ever

also nvidia has drivers for bsd

Still trying to game on Linux?

God, you're pathetic.

i5 4690k, gtx 970 with proprietary drivers with cuda support
it still sucks fucking dick before and after enabling cuda support, even after allocating of 6GiB of Ram

framerates dip to tens when having two 720p30fps videos layered on top of each other, like what the fuck is this bullshit, even after you proxy the crap out of it to 25%, like what the hell

Laughing fat guy is right

How'd that alphabet dick taste?

I'm not a pedophile or a terrorist, so I have nothing to hide and nothing to fear.

Windows is actually able to run Linux programs better than Linux can run Windows programs

Best of all Windows Subsystems for Linux is an official Microsoft feature

I haven't even touched my ARM Linux PC in days because I have literally never had the need too. This shit is better than cygwin, it runs native Linux binaries

post credit card info

Yeah right, the evil government surveillance is going to steal my credit card info.

There is something wrong with your settings then. I can run 1080p video without proxies, and 2k proxied at 75%.

Did you try PlayOnLinux? If a game doesn't run in Wine, it usually works in PoL for me. I've only had a couple games run poorly or don't boot at all, but I'll admit that's subjective.

here's the full comic

4panel fags managed to remove the entire setup.
A few panels could be removed, but it isn't necessary.

this
also

Yeah, I've seen that before, and I don't really care tbh, also I'm pretty sure that was only for the beta preview versions

And its not that I have nothing to hide, its more of the fact there are like 300+ million Win10 install now so I doubt they're going to target my PC explicitly for anything

I stay convinced this russian guy actually wants you to stay on Windows 7 because if his botnet upgrades he'll lose his main source of income

Wine is a piece of shit.

Thats because you have incredibly low standards. You are on linux after all.

Pretty sure they ported doom to microwaves at this point. And you're using it to justify the viability of your system. Congrats. You can run the game that has been ported to office printer lcd screens. You big leagues now.

Honestly, Linux users need to fucking stop saying "hurr we have WINE!" until Wine actually becomes usable for the average program/user

I hear ReactOS is projected to have better Windows compatibility soon and its made by a small team of underfunded Russians

And fuck the GPU passthrough excuse because it only works on very specific hardware.

What are you trying to say?
What's so complicated about wine?
What's an average program?

There is nothing wrong with WINE (apart from no DX12 support), Windrones just hate the Linux master race having an ace up their sleeve.

actually retarded.

when that happens call me back

Anyway as much as I love linux my install has been really gay lately because of lack of AMD support. Anyone else in this situation? I've been on my windows 7 install a lot. It's depressing.

I'm seeing loss, goddamn it.

I just did.
I installed homm3 started it and it just works.

post evidence or stfu kiddo

not quite but close

am on linux, just need decent emulators to be honest and wine runs most everything that was made before 04-05 pretty well.

I can't find the videogames on this thread and neither i can on Linux. Why is this thread still alive?

go to the pharmacy and buy an enema kit, it comes with one.

How many shekels is Bill Gates paying you guys?

How much of Stallman's toejam have you consumed?

I'd love it if linux was a viable option to use for everything but realistically its just not. Program compatablity is shit, and its growing slowly, then a lot of the distros expect you to learn a bunch of command codes that are completely different than windows.

I have more hope for react os finishing in my lifetime than linux ever becoming a viable os for doing all the things that I do on a computer. I'm not sacrificing ablity in my os to use your meme os so fuck off.

I did but no idea how to "make virtual drive" for just a game.
I had a virtual drive for steam (I think auto set up by installing steam from play on linux) but no idea how to set up virtual drives otherwise.
I saw one tutorial but I can't locate the "windows" folder or the wine folder at all.

I'm preserving it to finish my RMS bust.

Install linux mint, later debian, later arch when you're a pro programmer.

Even if this wasn't incredibly inaccurate what sane country would want this group? They have no wealth to contribute, no valuable skills to provide and will only be leaches on social services.

it's a containment thread. No one wants to deal with the worst of PC gamers.

It's an automated process, playonlinux does it for you. When it makes a virtual drive, it's creating the folders, registries and other shit needed to run windows applications.

What makes people who use a Linux based system so bad?

But how do I make one for each steam game that I install without it automatically being part of the steam virtual drive?

gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/how-to-organize-your-steam-games-with-playonlinux.554/
This might be helpful.

Don't listen to FUD spread by those who hate freedom.

Thank you

I'm a fat paranoid faggot with some additions and corrections.

Windows has arbitrary RAM limits depending on version and edition. If you're pirating Windows 7 you won't run into them. If you're running Windows Vista Home Edition you might.

Windows has native scriptability with things like Visual Basic and Powershell. Apparently they suck but I've written enough shell scripts to think bourne shell sucks so that's fine.

Linux lets you replace far more than Windows. Web browsers are a dumb example. You can take literally any part of a Linux system and replace it by something else. You can replace even the parts that give it its name. You can use a different kernel, init system, standard library, compiler, set of standard utilities, and so on. 98% of users don't care about it but it's nice for autistic ricers.

Installers don't do the same thing as package managers because they don't use repositories. Repositories mean that you can reliably install the package using just the name, without having to look for an installer. Windows has package managers too. I think Ninite and Chocolatey are popular ones.

LIES! OS X is NOT UNIX. It's sorta-kinda-BSD-abomination-whatever-Mach. It's arguably a lot less UNIX than Linux, which is specifically not UNIX. The only UNIXy things about it are the GNU parts, and GNU's Not UNIX.

Just for the record, I say this not as a Windows fanboi, oh no. I say this as an IRIX hardcore aficionado. Now, I will grant you that my DateTime struct is BSD. I admit that, and I apologize for it. But the rest is Bell System V Release 4, the One True Operating System; and I can ASSURE you, my friends, that OS X is emphatically NOT SVR4!

Proof? PROOF? YOU DEMAND PROOF?!

Bring up an OS X box from bare iron. Was fdisk involved? Did you need to bootstrap the thing from sash? Did your disks have slices, not partitions? Did getty enter in to your thinking? Was tar involved? Was it gtar, because THAT DOES NOT COUNT? DO YOU HAVE A FRAME BUFFER INSTALLED, YOU FILTHY HEATHEN? 19200/N/8/1?!?!?!

Nope, none of the above. Your machine goes "bonk" when you fail to enter your home zip code so that Apple can send you valuable offers of future services. If I tried to give a real UNIX box my home zip code so that I could receive valuable offers, it would probably detonate with the fury of a thousand Hiroshimas, AND the kernel would panic.

tl;dr, GTFO my ARPAnet.

n00b.

polite sage for shitposting

Are you fags actually Microsoft shills or something?

It'd be fine for working with audio.

It only takes a few seconds to install MATE. It's pretty different from Windows, and if you want replicate the Metro UI you need to kill yourself.

wew

with vtx-d processors dual booting isn't necessary anymore. a sufficiently new computer can just run windows in a vm without too much overhead.

rate my dsktip

suckless/10

Why would you unless you're clinically retarded.

actually if windows went open source windows would die because Wine compatibility would skyrocket and very few would want to use their shitty OS over a Unix-like anymore.

ReactOS is based off WINE. All development on ReactOS is dependent on WINE development.

That is completely wrong, WINE only augments ReactOS' compatibility

EMBRACE
EXTEND
EXTINGUISH
See

Windows is a better Linux distro than Linux

1. It's GNU/Linux
2. That picture is using binaries that are compiled specifically for Windows, thus not compatable with GNU/Linux.
Stop being a mindless nigger.

That is completely wrong you fucking idiot

Its part of Windows Subsystem for Linux, and it is compatible with native Linux .elf binaries. The way it works is there's a compatibility layer that translates Linux kernel calls into NT kernel calls, its literally the GNU/Windows NT, and its an official Microsoft/Canonical tool

I haven't touched my Linux PC in weeks because its easier to just type bash into the command prompt and its all there, including apt-get

You're still using GNU/Linux nigger, It loads from an Ubuntu image every time you use it. The only thing you're actually using from Windows is the graphical shell.

Wrong, it sets up NTFS mount points and a Linux filesystem in the Windows directory

x11 applications also work fine using available x11 servers for Windows that have been available for decades now

rms.sexy/

Wrong. It downloads the kernel when you first use it.

Wrong, you have not used it, it explicitly says it extracts the filesystem only. Ubuntu is just the default uname because its based on Ubuntu

And even if it didn't use the kernel, it's just a gimped version of bash and aptitude.

Those problems literally come from the fact it doesn't use the Linux kernel, because NT kernel calls aren't 1:1 with Linux kernel calls, you fucking dunce. Thats why it can only run 64-bit .elf files because 32-bit Windows applications are handled by its own subsystem.

And your first image has already been disprove, Microsoft does not aim to support GUIs, but its been shown existing X11 applications will work just fine with existing x11 servers

If it can't run on non-x86 processors then why is it better?

It can't run on a non-64-bit processor you mean. Most Linux applications are 64-bit now anyways

No I mean that I can't do this on an arm. powerpc, or MIPS machine. It's constricted to only amd64.

By that logic, there's no point to WINE on Linux either because its restricted to x86_64 processors. (yes they have an ARM port but its pretty much useless for all intents and purposes)

WINE is shit. Developers open source their games so that they can be compiled from source. You can still make a profit from an open source game, look a Quake, Doom, and UT.

Carmack is smart though, he only open sourced his shit AFTER he made cash on it, because he is one of the few people who realize 90 percent of a games sales happen within the first month of release

nice quad quads by the way

thank you my man ;^)

Elderly are better than young muslims, as the latter only contribution is rape

I recently fixed up a laptop that's in better conditions than the one I've used for years, which is starting to break down.
I already installed winblows but want to dualboot at least.
What distro should i use?

Manjaro. Just werks.

It's GNU/NT, not GNU/Linux. Running the entire Linux kernel would just make it yet another form of virtualization, and running part of the Linux kernel without virtualization would typically require them to free the rest of their own kernel.

They added a Linux compatibility subsystem to NT. This is not something very new. There used to be a POSIX compatible subsystem, and multiple other operating systems have Linux compatibility.

That lets them run most parts of Ubuntu aside from Linux.