Game Mechanics

What uncommon game mechanics would you like to see more of?

I always thought aging & physique mechanics were interesting.
Example:
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas let's you become muscular or fat depending on your activities.
Ocarina of Time allowed you to play as kid link & adult Link with different tools/abilities.
I believe these mechanics aren't common, but maybe there are more games utilizing them?

Other urls found in this thread:

carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=53
wowhead.com/guide=404/how-to-be-bigger-a-guide-to-growth-in-wow
chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/5192942
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Fable series uses the mechanics you speak of.

Fable 3 also has a really cool (and thoroughly underutilised) weapon morphing system.

In Digimon World 1 you had to digivolve into certain types, sometimes certain species to get into some areas or activate some tools
It was pretty neat

Despite the gameplay I really liked the nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor.
It would be interesting to put that system in a game like GTA.
Maybe taking out a drug lord to take over his business or something?

Yeah, definitely. I'd love to see the nemesis system happen in better games that utilise it more.

Games where you can pre-plan many things, like placing traps and ambushing or something. Or something like Rainbow Six where you could make a detailed plan of action for multiple squads.

I remember in Fable 1 I played a mage and then suddenly became an old man after only 2-3 hours.

I'd like it to be more common for generic NPCs in RPGs etc. to get new dialogue when the story progresses and have them comment on recent events. Trails in the Sky was over the top with this and New Vegas had a bit (and a lot of it was actually disabled because of console memory limits). Gothic 2 was another good one that did this.

Not really a mechanic but I'd like to see more NPC's that have their own shit to do and aren't just there for no reason, telling the player hints or bitch-quests that exist solely for player exp. Write small storylines for NPC's that unravel as you progress throughout the story by their own means rather than requiring the player to directly forward them, even if it takes longer to write them game up - it doesn't need to be anything major, too much in depth, or event relevant to the major plot developments around them, but having a world that seems populated by individuals with their own lives makes games feel better.

Also, and these are mechanics, better mounted combat. The best mounted combat to come out of video games that I can think of is Mount And Blade, and even then that only seems acceptable and not outstanding or particularly praiseworthy at all.

The trails series does exactly that.

I've heard that, but I'm not particularity into jrpg's. It's the usual grind and the absurd character designs that tend to put me off from enjoying them for their worth.

I'd like to see an actual dynamic in-game economy and a peer system where nobles constantly die and the young and other candidates replenish the system in Mount & Blade

Actual damage systems/mechanics a la dorf/ss13 put in place rather than you just be a red bar that ticks down every time you get hit.

You say that and than post that horrible image.

Your shame is eternal.

It's not a video game character, and I never said I liked or disliked the design. And I wouldn't speak of shame, Holla Forums auska shitposter, if I were you.

Ever since I first beat MGS4 and got the special tranquiliser ammo that makes enemies either enraged, cry, scream or laugh maniacally and shoot other enemies, I've always wanted a stealth game that focuses on manipulating enemies' emotions to get through levels more efficiently.

Assassins Creed has poisons and VTMB has disciplines but both of them are trash stealth games.

I remember hearing about what seemed like five or six different games all going for that gimmick back in the mid 2000s. They must not have been very good because I haven't heard of any of them since.

Abe's Oddysee/Exoddus are pretty much your best bet. you can mind control your enemies and force them to genocide your own species

Mark of the Ninja actually has this as a part of mechanic, terror poison darts and mangled bodies turn your enemies into scaredy shits that shoot everything that spooks them terror outfit is fucking best, it makes all corpses trigger this state. Plus it's fun to decorate entire level with bodies hanging from every chandelier.

While Grand Theft Auto is up… am I the only one who felt like Grand Theft Auto 5 felt like a very long series of very short, semi-interactive teasers for this vast, multi-faceted grand heist simulator that Rock Star will never ever make?

Didn't it have so much it drove a guy to suicide?

You need to play Second Sight my friend. Top tier game.

Yeah. I never liked the whole 'hiding in plain sight' thing that Ass Creed originally tried to go with compared to traditional stealth games and sneaking in VTMB was quite overpowered from what I remember.

There's also the Bam Ham games which have enemies start shivering and frantically turning back and forth as they move as you knock out more and more of them, which is alright. The stealth in Asylum and City was fairly shallow in spite of that, though, and I never played the next two, so I don't know if they improved on it at all.

That's the first I've heard of that game, I'll maybe check it out. Thanks.

I have been playing the Thief game series recently and i saw how cheap and easy shit gets when you KO almost all the people in one level. Something like a KO limit would be a good idea, for example:

KO limits: 5

If you go beyond that limit, 2 guards wake up and start alerting others. It would be easy to program and it would force to player to be smart when it comes to move around and take on guards.

There are worse ways to avatarfag I suppose.

Sure thing, bub.

GTA should have pushed to become more of a simulator. But after all the gay casual kids crying about IV this series is fucking dead, dont ever expect anything but boring mediocrity from a newer GTA.

like clockwork

Getting dirty/beard if you don't shower/shave affecting your relations with NPCs

I finished the game 3 times

Yep, that was totally my reply. No reductio ad absurdum here. Here's that reply your so desperately after, Mr (1) Tomoko-Avatarfag :^)

Yahtzee's Tribly: Art of Theft had alarm and knock-out limits, but they both just end the mission if you breach them.

Destructible/deconstructable and buildable environments like in SS13

Games that are about emergent gameplay from a bunch of different interacting systems in general

n yo sistuh n all da otha characters stay das same bitch thru out tbh shit was dum. bofa dem nyckas too.

I've always wanted to see a more realistic dispatch system where each police station has limited staff and vehicles based on its size, the cars actually drive to you in real time and when all their men are killed back-up has to come from further away until the whole map is depleted. Then you could run amok without opposition until back-up arrived from out of state.

That and more interiors and more ways of interacting with pedestrians and the world than attacking things.

Dishonored essentially stealth game where you have magic that might as well be some psychic powers stopping time, mind controlling enemies, teleportation.
Problem is even on hardest difficulty I don't have much problems just killing everyone instead of sneaking.

Also stopping time will be my pick for mechanic that should be in more games.
It might or might not be because of Stardust Crusaders.

Radiant AI as described by Bethesda as being in Oblivion before they nerfed it. NPCs actually wanted things instead of just being unconvincing extras. Drug addicts would kill a dealer for their skooma, for example.

yo dey jus scripted city folks monica dam dat much was evident i highly doubt dey had any sort of dat ish goin on tbh unless it wuz vry early proof of concept shit fam

I get you.
It made world kinda more alive but really if you were to look for a better example of this I would look at Mount&Blade.
Each country is essentially controlled by AI of its lords. It is pretty much same thing but in M&B it works.

If they can script NPCs to do different things at different times of day, you'd think they could program them to kill a certain type of NPC when they need something that type of NPC usually carries. The only thing that doesn't hold up is why quest NPCs being killed made them simplify the system when they could've just made them essential.

carpefulgur.com/drakblog/?p=53 Yes, apparently. I had no idea.

Dagger of Time rewind power should be mandatory in all games.

I liked how it was advertised, in game I didnt experience it at all and I did a 100% run. 6/10 mediocre

The Souls series has storylines for characters, but it's mostly dependent on your own actions.

A cool variant of that was the rope bow from Dark Messiah of Might & Magic. Being able to plant ropes anywhere in the ceiling, then climb & swing from them was fucking mind-blowing. Wind Waker had a swingy rope grapple, but where you could actually grab was far more limited.

my memories of the game are foggy but i seem to recall you killing several nemeses to elevate a friendly orc/goblin to a higher rank as part of the main storyline

On that note, I always liked how in WoW, you used to be able to stack stupid amounts of size change buffs in various ways and get stupidly huge if you were dedicated regardless of class. Even as far as Blizzard or MMO's go, there aren't a whole lot of games that let you do incremental size changes that really add up without necessarily being the central gimmick (agar.io, snake, whatever). Only thing I've ever seen remotely close to that was Fat-O-Meter on d2ware (old Dota 2 modding platform), and that was dumb and poorly implemented.

Yeah NPCs used to actually do their own things in oblivion, was neat as shit.

Is there footage of this? I have trouble believing Bethesda would implement something this interesting

I've always kind of wanted a singleplayer FPS with maps designed around the player's ability to strafejump and do explosive jumps.

Yeah, I think using lots of magic did actually age you faster in Fable 1 for some reason. I guess it was to quickly cultivate a sort of "old wizard" affect for your character.

At least you could turn back the clock by sacrificing enough peasants to the edgelords or giving the jews enough shekels, so you didn't have to perma-old-dude your way through the game.

On that note, I'd like to see a single-player game make use of canceling and timing like a fighting game. No crazy shit like 1-frame links, but cancels are super-satisfying to me for some reason. Especially mobility-related ones. God Hand sort of had that in that you could cancel almost any deliberate action with a stationary dodge, which given the nature of the game is basically necessary. Only game-breaking mechanic that came from that was high side kick canceling, which most runners don't use outside of the hardest modes because it's hideously boring to both watch and play.

You might want to try valdis: abyssal cities but that might not be too deep for you. Its worth checking out though

Glad I'm not the only one. When I first played this game I was seeing a Payday:GTA release in the future.

It could still be a thing, but it was probably supposed to be part of GTA:O and it ended up being more work than they had envisioned.

What do you mean? That all of GTA V was just a set up for the incredibly disappointing GTA Online?

Took a look, looks pretty slick even if it is an RPG, although I can't fault it for that because God Hand handled the simple RPG elements thing elegantly. I do love when each individual enemy feels like a major threat in its own right, and you have to defend/counterattack to beat them instead of just slapping away without paying attention. Art style gives me a little bit of a fantasy-themed Metal Slug vibe. Mostly Japanese but with a bit of Western cartoon influence and better animation all-around.

I recommending it because you mentioned cancelling which is what the game has, its a neat little combat system but in the end its still 2D

I forgot what all I used but it was noggenfogger and some other stuff that shrank me so much my weapon enchant was the only way to keep track of me.

The sad part is that the only reason they nerfed a lot of that shit is because people were blocking quest NPC's with it. I mean, it doesn't seem out of the question to have some sort of phasing/see-through/size reset aura slapped on NPC's instead of nerfing the shit out of all the size-up buffs and gimmicks.

On the bright side, this was fun to mess around with: wowhead.com/guide=404/how-to-be-bigger-a-guide-to-growth-in-wow

There's shit that's not mentioned on there, but this covers a lot of bases. I wish wowhead was still clear about which size buffs are stacking versus non-stacking.

Enemies with self-preservation that actually chicken out and try to run away or otherwise greatly change their tactic when they see you utterly destroy someone in front of them.

Also enemies that try to help each other, like trying to take the wounded away from you, picking up a weapon and giving it to a disarmed buddy, etc.

I tried to play one asian MMO one time where your character aged and eventually died, and you had to play as the son or daughter, and it kept repeating. It was shitty though, installed the game, wouldn't run, then wouldn't uninstall.

Fight or Flight release NEVER EVER ;_;

Yeah, all the missions were short and shallow. Still a good game with a good setting.

THIS.

I'm not sure about uncommon but I want to see more odd ones.

that's what i want more of. fallout 4 kinda had those but its just ended up looking really weird with those meshes. even if mods fix that the game is too buggy for me to take it. unofficial patch when?

also dont forget it was said once that your exploits and achievements would slowly get found out as word spread which got canned in favour of turning on a flag for every npc to spout stupid shit at you

Throwing enemies at each other

Throwing a enemy at your co-op partner so finishes him

Pool Closing. Only Habbo hotel has this.

A generous time stop that lets you make satisfying rube goldberg death machines

Throwing bottles in dishonors time stop was a massive dissapointment, why cant they just susspend in time

Jesus i cant do anything right

Difficulty customization. I think Project Zomboid captures it perfectly, you can change almost any aspect of the game any way you want.

You can change zombie toughness, speed, intelligence, awareness, the virus' mortality rate and infection chance. All kinds of shit.

I'd love more games that would let me do this without having to resort to mods.

grappling hook gets done a lot… but it's almost always done wrong. not dynamic, boring automatic transit instead of fun physics that you can fuck up.

would it be useful to divine the mechanics and put into categories?

for op is see
transformation
a. cosmetic/novelty (customization games)
ai. measure of attributes (gta) or changed status (harvest moon: tired, fighting games: critical health, pokemon:poisoned,etc)
b. game mechanic (puzzle platformers where transformation is necessary to solve)
bii. extra character modes, to accommodate different playstyles or challenges

A bit more primitive physics wise, but that's one of the cooler features Thief had.

The best thing is that you can customize everything about the zombie population. Initial size, growth, hordes, etc.

and environment
a. day/night
b. seasons
c. festivals
d. time

are these mechanics or features?

I just finished Metal Gear Rising for the first time and I'd love to see more shit like blade mode.

Back before it turned out to be dogshit garbage like the last two games, The Witcher 3 was going to have something like this and you'd use it to cut weak points of monsters that you had studied about but they trashed this in favor of Arkhamshit.

I was confused in the first boss fight, the friend replied "an uppercut-like attack would work best on that boss"

Now I understand

I don't get it, what are you talking about?

I'd like it better if you had limited amounts of rope/cable + gags/knock out gas to tie up enemies, and a timed system for anyone who isn't tied up. This way there isn't actually a limit but if you don't plan things properly, enemies start waking up and alerting other people, and if they found the gagged guards because they hear their muffled cries for help (while being on heightened alert) it could add to all of them being found and woken up as well. It also means on some levels you'd be able to get away with taking out everyone if you timed it perfectly for a smooth knockout heist.

Otherwise the self-imposed challenge runs people tend to do (such as ghost mode) are really cool, but disappointing in the sense that you don't get to utilize all the tools at your disposal.

Glad it at least came to PC so I could get a second copy. It is a beautiful game, quirks and all.

Yeah. I like that they do have schedules, and are actually deeper than Skyrim interactive wise (like people actually go to church, have meals with their friends, but you don't learn any of this without digging into the engine/observing them/reading about it on UESPWiki), but if it lead to more dynamic situations it would've been awesome.

Might try to a make a mod of it someday (planning on making a super modlist again with Morroblivion), though I suspect it'd be extremely script intensive, and I have a soft spot for keeping non-essentials alive unless I hate their guts. Would be cool to expand on it and have other family members take the estates/businesses, or come from other parts of Tamriel to take their properties/find out about their loved ones deaths/take over drug trade/become addicted to skooma/etc.

From that as well, it'd be nice if all known family members dying would free up their properties for sale to be bought by other NPCs or the player if they're fast enough.

It's an image from my angry folder. I don't have an Asuka folder (though she is cute)

any girl of any kind > lesser races (goblin, orc) > furry shit

Motherfucking grapple hooks.

There's so many ways you could handle grapple hooks interestingly, and games get them wrong every single time. That Lawbreakers game looks like it's got good grapple hooks at least, too bad it's probably gonna be shit.

embed related

To git any good in Bayonetta with how fast the enemies are, you're pretty much required to learn how to dodge offset if you want to ever get off a longer combo. You mentioned God Hand so I suspect you may have already played it though.

Dynamic weapon switching/stance switching/dual wielding.
When you can change your moveset on the fly not just through neutral animation, but mid combo via special attack.
The most recent game that did it was either DW7 or DW8, not sure. You can set two different weapons to your character and switch them with dedicated special attack button.
Another great example is Kuno Seishiro from one of the worse Samura Shodown instances - Warriors Rage on PS1. He is alternate form of the protagonist that is unlocking by completeing arcade mode with every other character. He can switch between single sword and dual wielding stance via several special moves.
I think some of Onechanbara games have this as well.

Yeah but the Nemesis thing itself was a bit tacky. For me it was Urgnod Facecrusher, who I bumped into maybe 20 times throughout the game and I always thought I actually killed him. But he was just injured, and every time came back wanting vengeance and had more and more armor and stitches/bruises.

When you warp to the last area, he was leading the army against mine and I finally killed him. But I'm guessing for everyone it's the same, just a different named orc.

momentum-based platforming.
super metroid is still the only game that got it right. it made the game for me, then fusion and zero mission went and removed any sort of momentum. sonic uses momentum as well, but it's only for speed, not for precise maneuvering. mirror's edge is ok, but 3D kills the platformer (ever wonder why every 3D platformer is a collect-a-thon?)

Monaco did it right.
most KOs are temporary
permanent KOs are based on items you can only recharge by stealing stuff
if other guards find them they can still be revived

no, only on wood surfaces

Fucking actual death penalties instead of the game forcing you to load your last save.
It's less of a problem when you're limited to specific "save locations", but when you can save anywhere and anytime, the penalty for your death is entirely dependent on how often you save, making stop playing and saving all the time a must.
God tier mechanic is having a constant autosave feature like the souls games, preventing any sort of savescumming.

Try Cloudbuilt.
Or if you really can't into 3D, meatboy is heavily influenced by momentum. Mind that it's a super precise platformer, and momentum can easily throw your precision off.

It's hard to appreciate mechanics like that when you've been jaded by so many games so you're thinking about how it works on a deeper level and what its purpose is in the context of gameplay, instead of being a casual who just thinks it's really cool that the guy keeps coming back tougher and more resistant to your tactics and bearing a grudge.

It's not easy to maintain both those mindsets.

In my playthrough they were just random orcs, I had to kill the chieftains and their 2nd in commands and that was it. No nemesis system

Genuinely full destructible buildings.
This game was so fun for it, because in any given mission you could just bomb the supports to an enemy building and watch it crumble down and crush the enemy. It's the kind of freedom of fuckery that's missing in most games these days.

I wish there was a game that had you swapping between male and female as a gameplay mechanic.

chan.sankakucomplex.com/post/show/5192942

Shadow of Mordor could've been great if it addressed a few issues. The combat felt satisfying but it was easy as shit. The orcs were weak and pathetic even in numbers and the orc captains who were suppossed to be experienced veterans could be slain with just a minimal increase in effort. The nemesis system would work if the orcs could put up a fight. The one user who said that the same orc survived 20 times i think is full of shit or got really lucky. An orc has a very small chance of surviving his defeat unless you beheaded him. The point of the nemesis system is to give you a hard time defeating orc captains and getting satisfaction when you finally beat him only for him to come back in a surprise attack. Unfortunately it didn't work out because in the beginning of the game you have the capability to slaughter every single captain with ease. It didn't help that upgrades made you into a literal god that could take dozens of blows and take over orc minds to kill each other. With better combat and harder difficulties it could've been cool.

I'm sorry for my bad english.

Still better than the scripted shit in Far Cry 4 & other modern vidya.

Platformer.
No acceleration.

Bloodborne sort-of does this, where each weapon has two forms and you can switch between them mid-combo.

the only downside is that once a building has been destroyed, you can't destroy it again, the map saves all the destruction you cause

although i guess that's what multiplayer is for

There was a non-GFWL patch with the steam version of the game. It also added the nano-reconstructor as a post-game reward.

this so much
fucking kill me

Fallout 4 has fat and muscle sliders?