Apollo Justice

Why does the fanbase hate this so much? I actually think it was the best game out of the three! (Trials and Tribulations was very weak imo in comparison to the two.) And honestly Apollo Justice would had served as the final chapter of the series, or at least the start of a new one with Apollo at the reigns.

Holla Forums! Tell me! What is up with the lack of love for Shu Takumi's dark and awesomely written 4th title?

Other urls found in this thread:

fanfiction.net/s/10876823/1/DAMON-GANT-ESCAPS-FROM-PRISOOOOOOON
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think we can all agree on what the best story in AA is.
fanfiction.net/s/10876823/1/DAMON-GANT-ESCAPS-FROM-PRISOOOOOOON

I've got the feeling this might be bait, but I'll bite.

I honestly feel its because of the shift in tone and what I felt was definitely weaker writing. The first three games were very much lighthearted for the most part with touches of dark and tragic themes while Apollo was pretty much a lot darker than previous installments (not nearly as much as say Dual Destinies, but I digress). Not to mention that while the first and last cases are fucking great, the second and third cases are kinda shitty. That's half the game being shit. I mean, its far from being the worst of the series (that title goes to Justice For All despite having one of the best cases in the series), and mechanically, I think its one of the best. But I can see why its seen as a black sheep. This isn't even mentioning other complaints such as Apollo getting almost no character development despite his name being in the title with Phoenix stealing the spotlight, or how Phoenix is vastly different in this game, but you get the idea. But I'd say even at its absolute worst, Ace Attorney is still good.

It is a mystery

lame characters
turning phoenix into a bum
too wacky, even for an ace attorney game

Not enough dank pop culture references

NOT ENOUGH HAIR SPIKES

Because it killed Gumshoe

I liked it, I just hate that Dual Destinies completely undermines it and that continuity is now canon.

OP here. Figure I point out the finer points on the game.

Apollo Justice is basically a surrogate audience. Basically, it's like the Metal Gear Solid 2 of Ace Attorney where we want that elicit excitement of being just like Phoenix Wright.

I wouldn't say Apollo doesn't have any character development himself, as it was more subtle than direct.

He, like us, represent the silly focused aspects of the game. Such as shouting OBJECTION really loud and being practically noisy whenever he speaks. Through the course of the game, he slowly develops his own character. As seen in Turnabout Serenade, where he couldn't get a not guilty verdict unless he makes his defendant admit to a crime he actually did commit. It's a point we see here where he is starting to grow more.

Though the 4th case of the game made it very clear that he still had much to learn what Justice and Truth are really all about.

I don't dislike Apollo Just-
But T&T was amazing and AJ is the fourth game, not the third, the fuck are you smoking ?
You know what, I'll just post my top AA games.
Investigations 2
OG Phoenix Wright
Investigations
Trials and Tribulations
Dual Destinies
Apollo Justice
Justice for All
Spirit of Justice

I can't bring myself to finish investigations, is it really that good? should i just jump to investigations 2? i'm at the embassy case, case 5 i believe.

I never played past the second game because of how awful it was.

Well, I guess Investigations didn't appeal to you as much as it did to me, but one thing's certain, you can play 2 without having finished 1, the stories are self contained.

I gotta agree with the other user, investigations 2 is the best game in the series in my opinion as well, just because it provides a new perspective on Edgeworth's story and character, and how all the cases in it actually work together and with the story in past games in the main series to build up to something good.

The game is great by itself, but it's absolutely incredible if you have played the previous PW games. The fan translation is really top notch as well.

On a side note, I'm playing Spirit of Justice right now, just got to the last case, and I'm really impressed so far. I wouldn't say it's the best Ace Attorney game, but it's pretty high up there in my list with what I've seen so far.

The bracelet eagle-eye magic shit was pretty dumb.

apollo was alright, but it is not even near my top. about spirit of justice I dislike the trend DD set in which you can't examine every scenario(although this one is better, you can examine the detention center again). first case was good but I think they fucked it up with payne, it is like they decided his lines and actions before it was decided that they'd suffer a death sentence, he ended up looking like a fucking psychopathcase 2 is fine so far, I'm liking it a lot better than DD's second case, really the only thing I can really complain about is that the music is shit, beside remixes almost everything else is unremarkable

opinion discarded

I'm not saying you have shit tastes… but you have shit tastes.

The writing and dialogue for that game was absolutely unbearable. The 2nd case for DD… is about as unbearable as being stuck in a burning derailed train on an airplane crashing into an orphanage. High school drama cop-out.

That's in every game, dumbass. It's one of the main premises of the series.

I rather liked it.

It's still better than Dual Destinies, at least Phoenix gets some cool exposition and the new characters aren't unlikable cunts that fit in the series like a fucking dick would fit in a turned on blender.

FUCK DUAL DESTINIES

I'm still mad

A moment for the fallen.

Only mandatory evidence ever triggers a reaction when presented. It sucks a lot of fun out of the game.

Seriously can someone explain to me the point of Athena

1- DID SHE BUILD HER FUCKING ROBOT?
2- IF SHE DID THEN WHY IS SHE A LAWYER?
3- IF SHE DIDN'T, THEN WHY DON'T OTHER PEOPLE USE THIS?
4- HOW IS THAT LEGAL TO BE USED IN A COURT ROOM?

I HATE SEEING PHOENIX WRIGHT THREADS BECAUSE THEY JUST REMIND ME OF HOW FUCKING RETARDED THIS SHIT IS

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

He was the star of three fucking games. Other characters deserve to be in the spotlight too.
Besides, hobo Phoenix is actually pretty cool.

I HATE IT TOO. I WAS COOL WITH HOW INSECURE SHE WAS AND SHOWING CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT FROM THERE NOW THAT WE HAVE HER MENTOR'S PERSPECTIVE BUT IT WAS SO BADLY PACKAGED.

SHE WILL NEVER REPLACE MAYA OR TRUCY. NEVER.

Best theme.

Trucy best girl.
Ema close second.
Maya meh tier

You can have your objectively wrong opinion.

fite me

I feel like this might be an unpopular opinion, but honestly Maya is kind of useless in the series now.
What was the point of bringing her back in SoJ if she was as useless as she always is in it?

Franziska is the best girl and was the best temporary partner.

this nigga understands

I'm not even done Case 3 and she is already helping out plenty. What are you talking about? While she is by no means the best Maya is high class.

I would actually be okay with a Maya Fey spiritual investigations game.

I would like that too, user.
What kind of plot do you think a spinoff like that would have?

Maya really just cheers Wright on or channels people who help I'm not really sure how she can solve mysteries/crimes on her own.

Maya stars in a series based around sprit cases, using her spiritual medium powers to channel people, while a sidekick does the questioning.

I dunno, adventure game where maya channels Bruce Lee to punch a guy in the solar plexus or some shit

Have you played the other games? That's literally all of them minus DD and Apollo. Not counting Investigations in this since spinoff.

I believe its explained in DD that her scientist mom made it for her years ago or some shit.

Well lemme ask you this; in a respective media based around the court, being a lawyer, having to conduct an Exorcism in front of a life trial in front of dozens of people is reeeaalllyyy stretching my suspension of disbelief.

I like the Spirit Medium stuff when it doesn't have to do with the basis of an entire plot, but Trials and Tribulations smacked it everywhere across the board with it.

They explain the 4th question in Spirit of Justice. They're "Therapy" sessions, legally.

That gets your suspension of disbelief but not the fact that there's Japanese shit everywhere in "America"? There's way weirder shit than Maya and Pearl honestly. I mean Justice for All let the prosecution legally assault people, to the point where Phoenix needed to be given a medic and that got me way more than the spirit medium stuff. This isn't even getting into the convoluted plots the villians come up with to get away with their crimes. The game is full of shit like that.

Pretty much. They even say it isn't usable as straight up evidence, but that its been helpful enough to move cases forward.