Dark Souls thread

Di you cry?

Yes. For the money I spent on 3.

This combat feels really wonky guys. Like fucking weird. That's all there is to it? You just roll incredibly awkwardly and then backstab the guy?
Why have all these items and equipment if only 10% is good and the rest is totally unbalanced.
Why is the opera so cheesy?

yeah, but not while fighting him, he killed me a few times and the moment he died i started crying like a bitch but i dont know why

i unironically enjoy dark souls 3

a lot

Didn't cry, but it blew me away.
I spent that entire last chapter hyping up that final fight for myself. Made sure I was fully prepared and walked through that fog gate expecting the worst.
Then that song starts playing and the glorified husk of a man comes charging at me.
It just felt so empty. And as the fight drew near its end, I realized it was the end.

Probably just melodrama, but that was more of an experience than I was expecting, and I loved the shit out of DS1 from start to finish. I wouldn't have been able to end it better myself.

I got bored after finishing it once

Its depressing as all hell
Its at that moment that you realize that all these fallen heroes that have build most of society have died and everything they cheerished will die, along with you.

Years of history, adventure and companionship lost in ashes.

I'm not enjoying DS3, I went into the game excited, looking forward to it. Soon found out it's got shit level design and shit NPC's. I feel they didn't want to make DS3 and are burnt out on the series. Mainstream success ruined the souls game, I would have been happy with a souls game every 5-6 years, they churned out 4 games in 5 years.

I got tired of all the stupid enemies hiding behind walls everywhere. After 3 runs I dropped it.

But if you liked it, have fun.

kill all yourselves.

Careful user you might cut yourself.

You have to stop DaS on a fucking pedestal.
All the fucking cheap deaths by falling and all the running around between locations at the end really drag it down, Lost Izalith shortcut is bullshit.
DLC was also dissaponting as shit
Havent played it yet, but Im sure Dark Souls 3 aint that bad.

The sad fate of all niche games that become mainstream.
I hope that blooodborne and demon's souls either never get a respective sequel or that such a sequel would have 4 years of dev time.

I was having the same thoughts, especially when I got to the swamp. It's got the opposite problem of the original Dark Souls; the first few hours are really shitty and after that it really picks up and becomes extremely fun. The Cathedral of the Deep is one of my favorite levels in the franchise. From there and the Abyss watchers the game really goes into overdrive.

I agree, people need to stop holding that game up as a gold standard, there are a huge host of problems with it that have yet to be fixed in the sequels.

Meant DS

Lost Izaleth isn't in Demon's Souls

Wrong post to which to reply
Polite sage

Fuck, I meant DaS, never played DS

thats fair

i like a lot of the bosses enough that it makes up for the parts that i don't like as much, and i PVP even though its very shallow

Some of the bosses were pretty nice. But most of the game annoys me. In other games you could even walk to dodge some attacks. The enemy attacks sometimes get to insane that there's no choice but to dodge or you'll get fucked.

I really want a BB sequel but I also want it to die with dignity.

yea, with the lack of poise they made roll spam more effective, so a lot of enemy attacks are designed so that you have to make use of that. Its possible to beat all the bosses without dodging or blocking though, as proven by TolomeoR. It kind of reminds me of bloodborne in that sense, but i think they should have made the bosses so much more aggressive with how easy it is to just spam i-frames in DS3. Only like Cinder and Champion really feel aggressive; maybe Yhorm if you fight him without storm ruler

No, but the ending of 1 chilled me to bone. Great finale.

Another user claimed different, telling me it only gets worse. That whole part up to the abyss watchers was total shit, boss included. I just finished the catacombs and was just about headed to Cathedral of the deep, I think that's the place right after the Crystal sage. Here's hoping because I haven't played the game in 2 weeks but I'll eventually get to it.

Heresy.

Wait, the word Nigger isn't banned?

he was using cheat engine, if you change your characters name with CE it disobeys censors - he also one shot me when he started losing

No, but it left me chilled long after I'd put down the controller.

DaS3, though? Total tears. After all this time, Gwyn?

Its alright, I usually like chants and ominous sounds, but most of it feels generic fantasy music.
Nothing that really catches your ear aside from a really small few like 3 bosses.

I think the only ones I can remind myself of are the Sif, The Four Knights and Gwyn boss battles.
Its not bad, but not great either
The sound design aside from the music is God Tier though.

Dragonslayer armor was also pretty aggro. I was worried about there being too many "big guys in armor" bosses in this game but the ones that are there are the most aggressive and fun.

From the Cathedral on the areas start to have the more interconnected designs that areas in Dark and Demon's Souls did, with shortcuts and secrets all over the place instead of the straight shots you get up until that point.

pic

"Knight" is also censored - in a game with a fantasy setting

because "nig"

thats true, i forgot about Dragonslayer Armor, i guess you can count princes too but i kind of wish he would have stood up in phase 2 and rushed your ass with his brother on his back, but that would interfere with

The Lore

Fucking Bamco

I assume it was more that "rump" is censored, because you can't have the word butt in a rated M game.

i nearly cried fighting Sif when i was playing through it again. mainly because my dog got hit by a car last week and had to be put down

First playthrough of Dark souls I did was blind, so I didn't know you could parry the bastard to death.

I'm sure I had a better boss fight experience than those who read up on it first.

NEXT TIME ON DRAGONBALL Z

Did you eat the remains?
Its kosher

Pic related took care of it, didnt even break a sweat and it was on fucking Divine +9

Between this and mixing up DS and Das, I really need some sleep.

While we're on the subject, how would you fix datksouls' mechanics?
Specifically, running through enemies on the first time in an area (if you can do it on repeat playthroughs but you get fucked if you don't know the level, I think it's a well designed level)
IE: fix dodge spamming by have a full 1 second cool down even if you have stamina

this is just what i needed thanks for the laugh user

Been thinking about DaS recently and I honestly can't remember why I liked the game. It had good parts and bosses, but there were so many terrible areas
and to a lesser extent Sen's Fortress
The build variety in the game is good, and there are plenty of options, but thinking of those areas makes me not want to replay it to try them out.

the entire section after Lordvessel really prevents me from playing the game because of how incredibly boring it is - and thats like a good 3rd of the games content

why is he so perfect

Also Sen's is fun.

I didn't cry but it did catch me off guard and ruin my mood

What's wrong with Darkroot Garden? I can understand TotG and Blighttown but I thought Darkroot was fine, Crystal Caves wasn't particularly great but I feel like making it too confusing or dense after the stuff you do in Archives would've felt tedious

Git Gud

You dont belong here

Really the only bad thing about Blighttown is the framerate, ToG is fine same with Darkroot Garden. Crystal caves is kinda dumb but that goes for everything post Anor Londo really.

Yeah, those drops to 45 were kinda shitty

Alright, thrill me, what's good about Darkroot garden? You like flat open spaces connected by small linear pathways? Moonlight Butterfly is your favorite boss?

My friend was hyping up the arrow guards before the dynamic duo fight, and how hard it was. Saying it was really hard to do and he beat the whole game solo, since solaire couldnt be summoned and he didnt want to summon randoms. I fucking blew through that shit on my first try. Did anyone else have the same effect?

Same. With Dark Souls 1 and Demon's, I made new character after new character, even did that a bit with Dark Souls 2 when it was new. With Dark Souls 3, I got bored on my third character. It just doesn't have the same charm and allure. The areas seem uninspired and feel like a drag to go through.

this was a funny glitch, i don't know if they fixed yet

I didn't think it was possible to make a worse dragon encounter than the two in Demon's Souls, but B-Team found a way.

Tomb of Giants is bad because of the low vision combined with the skeleton dogs that can break your guard and still kill you in one "combo".My first run took forever since I couldn't figure out where the exit was and i kept missing the bonfire.

Sen's is okay, but once you know all the traps it becomes trivial.

Darkroot was just kind of empty i felt, outside of the ghosts and the wierd cat things it was a big area without much in it

Crystal caves is just a poorly designed area, there's pretty much no reason to fight the golems and finding the path is made trivial by use of message stones.

I didn't have much trouble with Great Hollow, there wasn't a whole lot to it.
I hardly remember lost izalith plus I didn't play it until last year so PVP was practically dead

Blighttown was annoying to trek through if you ever died, and the poison swamp was incredibly annoying with the mosquitos that never fucked off

I've never seen someone refer to Demon's Souls as DS. It's always DeS.

but fam that was the best boss fight in the game

Yes user, they should have left nothing there at all. Players should be forced to take a leap of faith to find the path or possess the incredible autism necessary to notice the falling crystals.

How could you not notice the crystals disintegrating in mid-air? It happens even before you see the message, it's a very obvious effect.

Somebody has shit taste. The only areas I hated in 1 were izalith, demon ruins (because fucking nothing there), and the first part of Duke's (big empty library filled with arrow niggers).

and very easy to overlook.

it's got Sif, that should be enough for most people

I fucking loved TotG because of the low vision and dangerous enemies, plus the prevalence of places you can skip if you're good at spatial awareness (there's 2-3 spots you can jump off into the darkness and land further down in the level).

Why even have that section at all though? Its not like there were any enemies on the pathways

I guess having the only good boss in the main game is a fine selling point, but that doesn't make the level good, just that fight.

-Sif
-Cats
-Forest Hunters
-Humanoid Mushrooms
-Humanoid trees
-Stone Guardians
Whats wrong with Moonlight Butterfly?
Made me aware I needed some Magic Defense

What you couldnt get the lamp?
How so?
Felt pretty populated to me especially with all the living trees
True, they were a pain in the ass before you could get Seaths pattern
Plenty of items, if you stopped to try to catch them you were in for a bad time because much like Blightown you dont know which platforms are dev approved or not.
The fact that I didnt felt arsed to grind for the shortcut and fell countless times to my death on the Chaos Bed boss due to the chokepoint on the right gives me bitter memories of it.

Indeed it is, Im just need some rest

I like the moonlight butterfly

What do you like about them specifically? "Atmosphere" is not an acceptable answer.

I too enjoy fights where the enemy can't be damaged by melee weapons for minutes at a time

Atmosphere

Come to think of it, you know what would've made the crystal caves neat as fuck? Slightly bigger invisible crystals, but replace the crystal golems with groups of aggressive, un-matured crystal lizards that swarm you like dogs (but without dogs' bullshit hitboxes on attacks).

The darkroot area behind the gate is supposed to be primarily a PVP area. You explore while being constantly invaded by forest niggers, and fighting forest nigger NPCs.

Knew it

I just replayed it a month ago, isn't the only currently active PvP area Oolacile?

Going to the first half of darkroot with a

That's why I said "supposed to be". On release it was always absolutely filled with forest niggers, but now that PVP outside township is dead, it feels a lot more empty than the devs wanted.

the only bad ones are the Capra Demon and Bed of Chaos, tbh. I can understand not liking Gaping Dragon since the fight can be really annoying but it's more of a waiting game than a truly bad fight

I did another playthrough about a week and a half ago, there's still people doing PvP there, it's just mainly camping and ganking though

Looks great, comfy to chill in, has a fun PVP area even with all the ganksquads. Multilevel design with tons of optional and hidden areas, interesting encounters, good items, and tons of connections to other areas.

And the Asylum Demon and all of its recolors, and the Taurus Demon, Centipede Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, and Seath. Even the better bosses like Queelag or Ornstein and Smough and easily exploitable in obvious ways, like the whole O&S fight essentially revolving around abusing how awful their pathfinding is. Other decent bosses like the Gargoyles and Iron Golem were lifted practically unchanged from the previous game.

Why? It's really easy

It has like two levels, unless you're grouping Darkroot Basin in with it.

Such as?

I don't feel bosses should be lumped in with the area themselves, Sif being a cool boss doesn't make darkroot garden a great area. It felt empty because it was one of the few "open" areas of the game.

For ToG I needed to equip havel's armor for the poise just so I wouldn't get destroyed by the skeleton beasts. I was playing a Dex build for most of the game but not knowing where ledges were made dodging difficult. the only issue i had was with the flurry attack but they used it often enough for it to be a problem otherwise i could kill them fast enough to not take damage.

chaos bed was easily the worst boss in the game. I didn't take the shortcut either but at that point I wasn't having trouble defeating any enemies.

Two main levels, plus the side levels hidden behind the fake trees, and smaller mini-levels on the ways between the two, with the hydra serving as a nice centerpiece linking the area together.
Battle with the black knight guarding the valley of drakes
Battle with the Hydra
The giant mushrooms circling around the Enchanted Ember
The fat cats

This franchise used to be so fun until normalfags ruined it with their "muh deep lore" and "le epic game cuz it doesn't have hand holding XD"

but why?

the hydra is novel but it's really not interesting. it shines in ashlake, but otherwise? Eh.

No, I thought "Finally this piece of shit game is over and I can tell my faggot roommate consoles games still suck ass".

Those fights might not be revelatory, but I don't consider them bad. Gwyndolin was fun as a dodging gauntlet, but the run up to the boss was unnecessarily tedious.

I agree with the music. Demon's Souls had some great tracks(mainly character creation theme and Nexus music) but Dark Souls not so much.

rump is censored

nig has always been censored. Is this your first Souls game?

How does it shine? I thought the encounters in Darkroot and Ash Lake were equal.

It can jump over and you can melee more of it.
I think user meant it has that OH SHIT moment when it jumps out of the water and chases you

I think i only love DS1 so much because it was the first of the series that i played. Nothing after it came close to recapture the magic of my first run. Even if DS3 was an objectively better game, i still wouldn't like it because it wouldn't reach my emotional expectations.

every dsp like streamer weakness*

I made it trough blighttown without deaths on my first run

but then on the second one i died 10+ times like a bitch

It's not high emotional expectations. Whoever made it has zero imagination. Or just didn't play their own game to know how shit it was.

Here's an idea, make the dogshit huge bows deal huge damage. Put a bunch of flying shit all over that castle that requires the usual tedious dodging and swinging, or rewards investment into that huge bow. Maybe put a few giant bats into izalith. Put huge fucking wolfs in Farron's fucking swap. Nobody likes goddamn crabs! It should be a black and white difference in terms of power.

Also, make the giant slow fucking weapons useful for cutting down giant shit. I want to see a bloody stump where the giant's leg used to be, but have him even more pissed off.

Where are the fucking demons? Huh? That big gay pile with king homo is it? Why don't my demon slaying weapons feel like they'd chop down a horde of demons? The worm and the crabs are fucking stupid. Cut that shit.

PvP is just fucking stupid. It should be some pseudo matchmaking or a free for all orgy that everyone piles in. Weapons should be as devastating as mentioned before, but death should mean nothing more than a loss. Don't punish anyone. Get rid of the ember system. Only the autism community likes the grind.

Dark Souls had a phenomenal first half, however the other half is pretty shitty. I didn't like any of the bosses or levels past O&S.
DLC's still the best part of the game, though.
Demon's Souls is the best one I've played; the only level I disliked from it was the Dragon God fight, but even still its still better than the fucking Bed of Chaos.

I cried about how overrated this unfinished game was. 2 was way better but the hipsters will never admit it because thats agaisnt the bandwagon society rules.

Sure user, but DS1 also had a shitton of flaws. Pretty much every area after Anor Londo was half assed or unfinished. Lost Izalith is a complete piece of shit, you can feel the copy pasting enemy placement with no thought or reason when walking through it. The boss is garbage as well.

Two rings, FAP and Havels, are so OP that nothing else is viable in the slots except if you're a mage.

A lot of bosses are just gimmicky and not very fun to fight, like Gwyndolyn, Capra, The Butterfly or 4 Kings. I think i would've trashed DS1 if i played it after Bloodborne or Demons Souls.

2 is objectively garbage, unless maybe if you're a PvPfag.

Don't respond to the DS2 autist.

It's essentially the same development situation that Devil May Cry 2 had, the director was replaced halfway through development and had to salvage what the previous director had fucked up. And he did the same thing they had to do to push Dark Souls 1 out the door as quickly as they did, just steal a bunch of shit from the previous game(s) and make the levels as big and flat as possible so the map isn't so obviously small.

You're right, it's pure garbage from the start.

2 DLCs were good tbh

I burnt out of 3 pretty fast.

I hope the DLC can bring me back into it.

Overall though, I'm glad its over and I really hope From releases something OTHER than another Souls game, BB doesn't count it basically is a Souls game.

I really want to see them try something new.

well memed kiddo, +1 hipster cred

sincerely,
the bandwagon society

DLC looks like yet another attempt to squeeze some life out of the lost sixth archstone on top of more nostalgia pandering. Don't keep giving them money, man.

Three was meant to be a letdown. A counter climax, as Miyazak would but it instead of a grand crescendo. That's why the level design is amazing but the world design is shit, and that's why you burn out
It's a game meant to be beaten, and not lived in like the original. I feel the same way user.

Maybe I am forgiving on DS1, but there is a charm to it that is missing in DS3. I did avoid many areas and fell asleep after a while, but I had more fun in DS1. Maybe it's all the damage sponges in 3 and broken weapons and armor. Or the fact that I could go around different routes. They did seem to go for some experiences that I'd never seen before.

It's a shame they make the same mistakes again and again.

DS3 was beautiful if nothing else. I wish they'd done more with it.

Made another thread if you're interested

Armored Core game confirmed

All they've said is one of the games is going to be dark fantasy, they have a lot of dark fantasy IPs that aren't Souls. God forbid they are going to let the cancer infest King's Field V or Otogi 3

Hope there's much more to it than this. Very "more of the same" in practically every aspect.

The game is at this point 90% baiting lorefags for speculation, and to do that they need to reference older stuff that was hung out to dry before. In the case of this DLC, the Painted World of Ariamis and Allfather Lloyd. And in the next one, who knows.

DaS3 is fucking dull.

The stat system sucks the worst out of the 3, separating equip weight from stamina and then completely negating the only thing worth using heavy equipment for since they decided to make physical defense and resistances more akin to Blood Borne was fucking retarded.

The maps are way too large, open, and empty. There are very few tight spots where you really feel tense and you can kite pretty much anything for hours while chugging because of it. Moreover the areas have absolutely no good shortcuts. I cannot think of a single one. They all are completely pointless thanks to the over-abundance of bonfires and they don't even link back to previous zones since everything is so separated.

The combat is a battle of attrition. PVE, while more polished than DaS2 is still chock full of ball-bearing turning enemies and plesioth-tier hitboxes. I have to think that the reason they made chugging so easy in DaS3 was because the team responsible for combat just absolutely could not make it satisfying or strategic.

Movement feels super floaty, armors have no real weight to them and roll types are spread out at retarded intervals of equip weight(which is also tied to the most retarded stat ever conceived. I'll take resistance over it, at least you could completely ignore it.) which just leads to a huge number of weapons being completely unusable due to swing speed and range since everyone can just back up without feeling threatened as the zones are wide, open, and empty.

The PVP is also complete ass because of all the previous points. Whoever you're up against can kite you for days while chugging across the open empty zones. God help you if they have a giant tree seed on top of the 3 phantoms they are allowed to summon while you're at a 33% health handicap already. If the host doesn't feel like fucking around with you it doesn't matter because the zones are also fucking short and the boss fog is rarely hard to reach. As an added bonus you can no longer catch them as they're going through it.

I know I'm going to get bitched at for "whining about invasions" or something, but really this affects both sides as it makes the PVE trivial and dull and doesn't give you anything to look forward to later.

Its a shame too because the lore actually seems pretty solid and there are some themes I really liked like human butterflies and what I perceive to be allusions to human kindling through hollow trees and such not to mention the different kingdoms with some actually fleshed out lore through item descriptions. Miles ahead of what we got with DaS2 but it all feels wasted.

Bitch away if you disagree but I just can't try to enjoy it anymore. Its not satisfying in the least.

What I don't understand is why the game looks so good in every gameplay video I've seen, but looked so awful when I played it, I mean visually. This video makes it look really, really nice, but I remember just about every level outside of the Greatwall being a grayed out, cluttered mess with weird edge glow effects.

Whoever they got to record this footage is a scrub too, shield up at all times.

I'm not convinced Dark Souls did heavy equipment right in the first place. Even at the most highly upgraded levels of the armor with the highest physical defenses in the game, you can still take massive damage from certain attacks, even just on NG. The biggest benefit of a tank build is the shield, and since there are so many low-weight, low-requirement, high-stability shields with 100% physical damage reduction, you can play as a lightweight character and still retain nearly all of the benefits of a tank build, especially with the rings that reduce equipment load. The Wolf Ring will even give you enough poise to get by.

Wolf ring still costed you a ring slot, of which you only had 2 (which I feel was also a smarter design choice.

Moreover having a fight against a tank build where you could chip away at it, while not ideal, is still, at least to me, preferable to getting locked up in caestus/longsword r1 spam, mashing dodge, and hoping for the best.

The greatshield problem is worse than ever by the way.

I'm also curious as to which attacks you're talking about, I remember stacking havels armor to cheese 4kings many a time and it gave a load of defense for example. Or are we talking DaS2?

High Wall of Lothric and the Settlement have some but, incidentally, for me, the game feels like a chore after those parts (I kinda like Lothric Castle though).

I think the game has a few key sections that look very impressive - outside Dancer boss room, overview of Irithyll, Pontiff's cathedral, Pontiff boss room and I'd say that's it. (Still more good looking places than vanilla DaS2 that has what? Heide's Tower?)

I was in agreement until you had to type this shit out. Now it makes you look like a whiny fag who can't stand behind his words.

Thats nice.

Its a shame we share the same opinions but you're swayed from them by me stating my dissatisfaction. Its a little ironic that you say I can't stand behind my own words afterwards considering.

But hey thats cool have a good one friend :^)

Smarter than giving you fucking four like 2 and 3 did, anyway, but still, the ring's existence in the first place is questionable.

Black Knights, or at least the ones in Kiln of the First Flame. Maybe Havel's Set is just really weak to piercing damage, but one lunge can take half of your health bar.

Yeah, the cathedral sections did look nice. Didn't personally care for Yharnam Christmal special Irithyll and its excessive depth of field.

Majula was alright

Looks to be a big open area with "points of interest" scattered about, and probably one medium-length dungeon bit towards the end. Not exactly on the level of creativity of sunken king, the DLC that almost redeemed dark souls 2. But we'll see.

Lothric castle was one of the few areas I really liked. The approach with the dragons and all the little side areas and dead ends that could really fuck you up if you ran past shit into them or dropped down without scanning the area felt perfect and made me with the rest of the game was as well designed. The interior of the castle and garden was also superb.

Fire ruins/Izalyth or whatever that zone was called was similar for me, but you could literally skip the entire thing. Still had fun exploring the labyrinth though.

Bravo Fromsoft

From what I've seen, the four kings do split dmg with physical and magic. It's why whenever I wore an upgraded Dingy robe they could barely scratch me. Other things with decent to both will also shrug their attacks like nothing.

Probably because the game itself was so damn linear. You can't do anything like a Seath or burg skip by knowing your way around. I really like shit like that because it made the world feel more intact. Jumping from the roof of one area of the burg and then falling in front of the Capra Demon reinforced that this was a world you could actually find your own way around in.
I think DS did this the best. Having three separate major tiers of mobility, with the least having risk v reward with lesser poise. Tank builds were a bust anyway, so it did not really have much risk, but I would have liked to see this refined. DKS2 did tank builds the best by fucking lighter builds and overall mobility, but I found having around 1500 slash resist in upgraded havels to be hilarious.

It was really disappointing to see how they nerfed ring of favor and protection into the ground, I'd rather only be able to pick 2 rings if it meant they could actually be huge pieces of my build rather than a bland +10% damage like they are now.

I teared up at Kiln of the first flame, and again after Gwyn cause I knew I could never play it for the 1st time again

Every aspect of the game would need rebalancing but I would remove i-frames and all the big tide turning moves like backstabs and ripostes. Call me a biased STRfag but I want to see actual fights of people attacking, blocking, and footing around rather than the shit we have now.

As for the problem of running past enemies.
There is absolutely nothing you can do to prevent this on repeat play throughs but as for first time runs I think that the only thing needed is less normalfag-friendly, maze-like classic dungeon crawler level design that turns you around having literally no idea where you are or what you are looking for.
That is, more stuff like what they used to have in their shadow tower games.

Your mother should have been smacked every time she put on that passive aggressive act. Don't copy her poor example.