Dungeon Siege Discussion Thread

What is this?
Isometric view rpg.
It's not got much of a story: 1st one is monsters attack the world and orcs (slaves) revolt and you're a villager who's gonna save the world; 2nd one is best imo in terms of story, you're a mercenary for a guy who you later find out wants to rule the world so you stop him and save the world; 3rd one is you try to unite some knights to (can you guess?) save the world.

It does what it's meant to do well actually: it provides mindless relaxation after a tiresome day/activity.
The game is not hard by any means and it's played with the mouse (just left click tbh).
There is dialogue which is not bad but clearly not the main focus of the games. It's trite (this guy needs X and complains about it, this guy is a treasure hunter, this girl is sick and needs Y, this guy found Z, this guy got robbed etc.) but it's voiced well (at least in English).

I played the first game when I was a kid and played it halfway through recently.
I played the 2nd one when I was younger and also halfway through recently.
I didn't play the 3rd one except for 2-3 hours, I honestly hated it. Retarded camera movement, stupid characters (1 female super-rare-magicborn fire-avatar, 1 female cutthroat gunslinger, 1 generic rich swordsman guy, 1 old guy who does "magic" which is really not magic at all).

Thoughts? Experiences? Funny stories?
I haven't heart anything about DS4 so no idea if it's ever going to come out (probably not).

Other urls found in this thread:

volafile.io/get/qXZiP35dw656SA/Dungeon Siege - Legends of Aranna.rar
u5lazarus.com/
u6project.com/wp/
nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3231132)
nuvie.sourceforge.net/
medievalists.net/2016/03/13/the-worlds-worst-fantasy-film-in-the-name-of-the-king/
archive.is/6Nl1y
store.steampowered.com/app/10530/
mega.nz/#!flABSQoT!LSnpFpwrl0ed5g79p_xUm63eZr8sYtequzenrTr_bPE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

RIP Zonematch

The multiplayer map was much better than the singleplayer one.

its been a while, ass autist

I played Dungeon Siege when I was like 12. I miss it. I keep meaning to play it again, but its a fucking pain in the ass to get it running.

I wish more games would do the class system like Dungeon Siege did. I really liked the way that you become a class by using different weapons/skills.

i couldnt get in to the first or third one but i rather liked the second game. the expansion to it kind of turned me off though, spoilered for your convenience op a huge gruesome change in aesthetics and tone. essentially everything you knew from the first game but either destroyed or twisted in ways not dissimilar to the strogg of quake.

Protip turn the shadows off, it uses an old Direct X which your computer might not have or even be compatible using.

Do you have a download link?

Shit. Dungeon Siege II looked waaay better on my memory

i believe thats zoomed in

Damn this brings back memories. I remember this castle-like place that was underground(?) that had the large mess hall. It had an elevator at the end of the dungeon and somehow my donkey didn't get on. I didn't realize it wasn't with me for the longest time and when I clicked its portrait the game lagged for a bit as the camera skimmed past miles of terrain to reach it.

Anyone remember the Uwe Boll Dungeon Siege masterpiece?

volafile.io/get/qXZiP35dw656SA/Dungeon Siege - Legends of Aranna.rar

For lazy fags, because it's a fun screensaver.

That website is so slow. Took almost 3 hours to dl on a decent connection.

The first game was the most fun and comfy in terms of classical DnD monsters and the dungeon theme. You could carry up to 8 characters, but I usually was forced to stick with 5-6 because the rest were eating up my XP and lagging behind in terms of power.
Plus the singleplayer map is insanely linear, sure there's some places to explore within the dungeon but otherwise ehh..
The multiplayer map was much bigger and open world compared to the singleplayer map.

Dungeon Siege 2 was imo a vast improvement with the tech trees, abilities, slight alterations to the way you click around the game, the monster's weaknesses. The mimic, the thief who randomly appears and drops items. Plus it focused on having a max of 4 characters, which shows they learned that managing 8 different chars is a pain in the ass.
The puzzles were much more interesting and fun. The environment's graphics improved, but the art style and the character models got uglier.
It had a huge load more side quests you had to get back to, especially with the ghosts. Most of the quests were long and interesting, almost like the secret chicken level in DS1.
The teleporters were great for going back and forth locations. The pet companions were drastically improved. Instead of having a useless pack mule you could have one which properly attacks, or a crappy spell summon which disintegrated after 3 minutes.
The bosses were improved as well. From 400hp to 60.000 hp and it's still doable.
It had a ton of extra features like dual wielding, crafting, tech trees, secret monster arenas, secret items, bosses, etc.

Don't know about Dungeon Siege 3 because I never played it.

I wish the modding community for this game wasn't so dead that even the best mods for it are becoming increasingly hard to find.

Man I wish Dungeon Siege 2 got the Titan Quest treatment, playing the game online's a nightmare these days.

What mods should I use for my first playthrough?

I've been thinking for a while on playing the first Dungeon Siege in order to be prepared for Ultima V: Lazarus.

I've already played Lazarus and I was lost and confused, so I guess I should play the vanilla game first.
(I did play C64's version of Ultima V, made it to the underworld. I always though getting the flying carpet so soon was like cheating, not so different from U7's flying carpet).

I really like Dungeon Siege's engine. No loading screens, interactive environments, moving platforms, 3D pathing that actually works. Contrast trash like Dragon Age: Origins where you can't have multiple Z-levels (winding staircases and multiple floors are not an option) because pathing is an incompetent 2D mess which even requires pregenerated pathing maps (which require manual adjustment from time to time), environment is stupidly non-interactive, making levels where the layout can change while you play is painfully unsupported, and loading screens are everywhere.

The game Dungeon Siege, though? It was boring as fuck. It was a pure grindfest Diablo clone. Plot was nominal and gameplay was extremely repetitive. But at least the engine was good. Speaking of which…

Someone modded Dungeon Siege 1 into Ultima V:
u5lazarus.com/

and Ultima VI:

u6project.com/wp/

How much am I missing from the original games by playing this mods?
I know some spells are missing, like Blink (no big deal, honestly) but apart from that, how much of the general original experience am I missing?

Not much but Ultima 4 is where the real plot starts so I recommend you play that first.

Played a lot of DS1 and 2, and gotta say that, in the end, I think the first Diablo is better at stomping your way through hordes of monsters. Level design is signifcantly worse in DS, the visuals aren't too good either, and the only real positive is having a party instead of going solo

Is this true? I had it as a kid and I loved it but I never got to play to much of it. I was thinking of playing it again again. I was hoping since it was an RPG that it would have a good story.

No, OP summed it up pretty accurately. Only DS3 focused on story more than its predecessors, but it'S still nothing to write home about.

RPG= mechanics, not story.
But yeah, these games are just an excuse to kill monsters.

you missed the part where the game tries to be more than killing the same 5 recolored mobs over and over again and staring at your xp
Seriously you autists need to just play cookie clicker and stop ruining the industry with your addiction to watching numbers increase

I want to go back to the first game, but damn all I remember from it is being impossible to play as a mage and having huge, days long dungeons you just want to leave already

That does add to the whole travel theme but holy shit I ahd to spend almost a week on a dungeon because trogs (ughks? some stupid name) blocked a door with explosives and I had to go around

Or maybe you never got to deeper floors or higher difficulties where the game stops coddling you? Shit becomes intense as you run away from a mob that's going to ravage you if you let them surround you, search for some sort of a bottleneck but fail to find any, sling spells while trying to maintain your distance and manage your potions, or panick as you try to quickly swap you gear to something with better resistances against the shits going after you.

I believe my run is:
Akalabeth - Nope.
Ultima 1 - Beat the C64 version. Can't be taken seriously. TIE fighters in an rpg game?
Ultima 2 - Not trying it.
Ultima 3 - Beat the NES version. I recently found the original Japanese version of the OST (nicovideo.jp/watch/sm3231132)
Ultima 4 - Beat the old PC version.
Ultima 5 - Played the C64, I was ready to march into the underworld for the last time. I'll retry Lazarus.
Ultima 6 - Never tried it. I guess everything aged and chances are I'll do the Dungeon Siege version.
Ultima Worlds: Dinosaurs - Nope.
Ultima Worlds 2: Steampunk - Nope.
Ultima Underworld - It's beautiful. I still replay it every 4 years or so.
Ultima 7 - Best game ever game, I replay it every 2 years or less. I recommend both the PC/DOSBOX version & the Exult version.
Ultima Underworld 2 - Better than the original in most ways, but the mystique is lost to me.
Serpent Isle - On par with the original U7.
Ultima 8 - Beat it once.
Ultima 9 - Beat it twice, 2nd time I used some fan patches. Perhaps one day I'll try the subtitles patch.

I'd like to play U1-6 in U7 graphics, but that would require a fully functional Exult Studio (where birds don't open windows).

Why not? Sci fi and Fantasy mixes were pretty common back in the day and it rocked. At least it's better than muh gritty realizm

You can play U6 in Nuvie:

nuvie.sourceforge.net/

I know. Final Fantasy, Crystalis and many others did it right.
But both Ultima 1 & 2 need to be seriously remade and the references to both space fight and planets need to be removed.
Ultima 3 was the first Ultima that took itself seriously. If it was remade, I guess Sosaria would be reshaped to look more like Britannia, though.

Didn't knew this, I'll have to check it out.

Threadly reminder that fantasy and scifi used to be the same genre rather than split

I just started playing the psp one, it's pretty fun only complaint is the camera is zoomed in way to fucking close.

What is that thing that Mokou is holding?

Tries and fails. DS2 at any rate was just a hack n slash. Though the atmosphere was nice for the first half or so.

Diablo 2 beats it in art direction, gameplay, music, story, equipment… not sure where DS2 comes out on top except maybe having more map variety.

a grenadebut she's gonna use it for lewd things

I actually played the expansion to DS2 at one point, I think I played it on easy because it was so fucking stupid.

I didn't watch it but apparently it was reeaaaaally bad.

The full version of the movie is on youtube apparently.

Dungeon Siege II has broken attack speeds, if you move or cancel your current action, it resets your attack cooldowns and allows you to attack a lot faster than you should, especially with crossbows. It really bothers me, along with it being too easy.

Didn't Ross already cover everything that can and should be said about it in his Game Dungeon video?

Yeah that's why I said in OP that DS2 (and 1) is only for relaxing with a mindless clickfest after work or to kill some time or whatever.
But I think it's really good at that.

sage
I want to discuss stuff with fellow anons on Holla Forums not listen to some e-celeb fatso.

k fam

costanza.jpeg

Why did DS die as a franchise?

Uwe Boll.

Dungeon siege 3 happened.

I just finished reading this.
medievalists.net/2016/03/13/the-worlds-worst-fantasy-film-in-the-name-of-the-king/
archive.is/6Nl1y

It's pretty comfy if you play it in short bursts. But story wise the only semblance of story is in the way the game is set up, you're basically playing Fellowship of the Rings mechanically as you go from a random ass farmer to a full twelve party fellowship. You always move forward and there is no backtracking to the last town you visited the first game especially doesn't have constant respawns.

Where to get mods nowadays??
I've got it on steam so I checked that community to get lore of aranna working but on here and on ross' video I saw several (tens?) of other mods.

Any link or anything?

You gotta dig for em' m8. The Modding community is dead and stuff is slowly getting memory holed.

The DS movie is The Room of fantasy movies.

It's a classic.

Also, wasn't there A dungeon Siege game set in space?

Uew Boll made a god awful movie and Obsidian raped the corpse.

store.steampowered.com/app/10530/
Never played it myself.

Shows how much the actual whole team matters except for maybe a couple of people.

Uwe Boll has the power to kill franchises? I never figured his lack of fucks given when making movies loosely based on what he skims mattered that much.

Considering Space Siege is just Dungeon Siege in space it can be either/or.

I played through the whole of Dungeon Siege 1 singleplayer campaign and had fun, I always liked the neat little set pieces that showed up along the journey like the Church in the Swamp.

I played like an hour of Space Siege and I was bored out of my skull. You have no Team to control and the Story has the whole "Cybernetics are ebil" shtick going on.

I have this and its Legends of Arrana expansion on a disk, I could chuck on a cracked .exe and share it with the lot of you. I'll do it if the thread is still alive tomorrow, or if enough people are interested I'll make a thread at about this time tomorrow.

Do it.

I wouldn't recommend any mods for a first time playthrough. When you're read to use mods though, see >>>/svidya/20802 for a list of mods you can download that I've used.

That's hilarious. I wish I had figured that out when I played it a couple years back.

The game lived and died on its modding community. DS was fairly easy to mod and had a great modding community. The expansion was similar, but some things that changed underneath made things that worked certain ways in the base game not work in the expansion, so modders would either have to rewrite their mods or not port them. The community was still good, but not quite as whole. DS2 ended up not being an obvious improvement over DS, but more importantly, it was harder to write mods for than DS. The community mostly fell apart afterwards. DS3 was the nail in the coffin, both with how much of a shift in gameplay it was versus the previous to games and a total lack of any modding capability.

Alright, I dug out my CD drive, should have it up in an hour at most.

Scratch that I'm getting random write errors, might be a while.

That game was really good. 2 and 3 were shit though.

My friends didn't believe me that you can get miniguns on Dungeon siege 1 was hilarious.

Here it is: mega.nz/#!flABSQoT!LSnpFpwrl0ed5g79p_xUm63eZr8sYtequzenrTr_bPE

Dungeon Siege+Legends of Aranna both .exes cracked. It seems to work flawlessly in Wine too.

The old guy is especially retarded. He is a college professor and the last boss is a god. Fedora tipping at its finest.

I still have no idea why I beat that game.

Fug I forgot to replace the .exe for the regular game with the cracked one. You can probably find one online easily, just make sure it's the 1.1 version.

I have to disagree with Ross, that the game has no story.

It has a fairly simple "swords to plowshares" backstory for the Kingdom of Ebb, your player character is simply the descendant of some bad ass legionary.

60% of the game is simply taking the long way to inform the king that some unknown evil is attacking and the last 40/%you beat the evil guy and this army back, as you took to long and they had already overrun the king's men.

Yeah except your character can die and be kicked out of the party. As soon as you get a companion your PCs relevance drops from self insert to optional self insert.

If that was just the vanilla Dungeon Siege that would've been sweet. Some of the conversions need the vanilla Dungeon Siege to run and even the Steam version's .exe is apparently changed.

It has Vanilla as well.

Y-you too.

Well of course, the other people that live in the Kingdom of Ebb are also the descendants of the Legion.

The PC is never stated to be the chosen one, just one dude who answers the call to battle like his ancestors did, after his farm is attacked.

user I don't think you understand the point, that starting PC is you there is no getting around this, the in story justification for it can go fuck itself the fact is you are not relevant at all to that little story there is and going through all the bells and whistles of making that character is generally pointless as a result. This single act speaks of how irrelevant the story is since the devs didn't even bother to give an in story justification for you to be actually important instead of nominally important and having some alternative outcome if you're kicked out.

>>>/reddit/

This is why games have become cancer and most post 2009 games are unplayable and unbearable.
Let me discuss by example:

Or in Morrowind where you are told by a goddes you are the chosen one but everyone still treats you like crap untill you made a name for yourself

You dumbass

Reminder that the first quest involves you picking turnips (that's right). You have to pick 20 of them and return all of them (don't eat them) to get 10 gold coins.

In other words, you're a dumbass.

I love this game. But why are my men so retarded? They keep running into enemies.

Remember what you had to do to get to this handsome son of a bitch? Of course not. Remember Lee or any of the old crew or their comments in 2 about that? Guess not. Found some cave bandits or Lester for that first quest? Well I suppose that walking two meters off the path was too much…
But then again it's not like I expected much from some millennial newfag who only just found out about bloody Dungeon Siege of all things and is too insecure to even admit otherwise.

Holy shit, why can't those goons at least drive away pick up some of the garbage on their way out

Would anyone want to play a Utraean Peninsula MP game? New characters only, no drdeath level 150 fags.

You can select their AI to be more passive or stationary.

To be fair, I usually play as a battlemage (can't resist chucking Meteors and Fireballs) with a single tank companion, pure melee.

To be fair, under normal circumstances that would be considered a fever dream. It becomes less so when you start having Dagoth Ur fucking with your head. And outside of some of the stuff, like gaining immortality, your character largely earns everything they get through blood, sweat and the pockets of their enemies.

DA:O had you as part of the super special organization that gave just enough justification for everyone treating you as important even if your character should rightly be snubbed as a commoner. There are better examples, I think.

NWN2 required you to earn the audience with the king, and likewise you have to earn nobility and defend your plot of land through preparation. Even if the fortress bit sucked, I liked the idea, but I don't think it will ever be implemented well in a game. The issue there is that your character doesn't do that shit on his own, and I don't remember there being any rewards for any of the party members, or why that didn't happen.

What? if anything that's a positive.
The story is painfully generic though.

Just because you are not important to the story, doesn't mean the story is irrelevant, because the point of a story in video games is to explain the world and not to make you feel important.

If you play a game, it should be because you like the games mechanics and not because the story sucked your dick.

Despite that, you place in the Story of Dungeon Siege is daily simple, you are the one starting point, the one who started the fire and actually went his way to beat the forces of evil back. However, just because you are the one who started it, doesn't mean you have to be the one who ends it and the torch can be passed.

When I say "important" I don't necessarily mean "chosen one". At the very minimum you're the leader of the fucking party at the very minimum a different outcome if your character is kicked out would've atleast showed the devs recognized this like anything even just a joke where the party is doing amazing end cutscene shit and your dude is just back at the farm harvesting vegetables in his gear or something.

It was really more fun than standing around a field hoping some slut would fall onto my dick.

The lack of loading screens back then was amazing.