Team Fortress 2 - TF2

Played any good servers or had good matches lately?

Casual matchmaking has had a stark upswing since Valve enacted a change to how it works, large parties are now matched up against eachother so you don't get six extremely high-rank competitive cocksuckers going on a fucking pubstomp. It's not any replacement for an ELO, but it's driven up the average match from awful-to-mediocre to mediocre-to-good.

There still lacks any good rotation community servers.
I miss teek already.
I'm going to go through with buying a VPS and owning my own once I get some money here.

6s season starts tomorrow. badlands rollout is suffering

I don't pay attention to 6s at all, myself. What's the appeal of short matches that primarily end up as one of three classes and maybe a Medic? Especially since I see soldier mains have an autistic aversion to any other class and I recall seeing a black/whitelist for weapons in several comp leagues where a restriction was that if a new weapon changes how a class plays in any appreciable way it'll be banned sheerly because it would shake up the meta too badly.

I'd love to see a community server with a map-rotation, though. Gameshock used to have a kind of Quickplay Valve-server replacement going with a bunch of servers going at any given time (apparently endorsed by some Youtuber or other), but then they started actually bringing down kicks and bans on habitual friendlies and the userbase dried up, they're dead whenever I check them out anymore.

6s matches aren't usually short (UGC rules are first to 4 wins or most after 30 minutes on 5cp, takes a long time) and almost never stick to just the 4 standard classes (off-classes on defense or to break a stalemate are very common) and weapon bans aren't that restrictive (only broken weapons being banned, now universal across all leagues see: whitelist.tf/ugc_6v6_s22).
Plus, it's just fun with friends in tf2 in a way more satisfying than pub-stomping.

Aah, I see. I'm paying attention to the entirely wrong set of people when I read about comp then, though there again when my primary source of information on that subject is the forums.steampowered.com page it should prolly be a big enough incentive to expand my horizons anyways.

I mostly play casual since volvo's comp is notoriously bad that even reddit hates it
Still, good to know that shit won't happen as often as it is now but i still like pwning those faggots if they try playing as scouts, until they give up and just pocket each other then i whip up my vacc and just pocket a heavy

Have you ever played landfall? it's 90% stalemates because of engies camping their nests

2 years later and they STILL havenĀ“t updated their shitty comics.

do public servers still have the problem of being horribly autobalanced?
also, is the game worth redownloading?

Landfall is an exception. It encourages turtling by putting the intel right in front of the goddamn spawn.

I haven't played the game since 2011, aside from a couple of rounds of MvM a few years back. I don't really wish on ever playing again. All of the community servers I used to frequent are dead and I keep hearing community servers have been pretty much killed since they introduced quickplay and haven't been revived since.

I just unistalled the game and sold all my cosmetics. Did I make the right choice?

Unless you're a compfag or can find a server that has decent map rotation and player traffic, you're better off leaving it uninstalled.

I want arena mode back.

Yes. How much did you get out of it?
How much did you put into the game before?

I didn't have too many cosmetics in the first place, so I only got $7 CAD for all the stuff I sold.

I did the same and got about $100 dollars Canadian. I had a Max's Severed Head from back when I liked Telltale games

bought several other games that I got moderate fun out of. More fun then I would get out of having tf2 cosmetics

I don't play tf2 anymore since going casual drops my FPS like a nuke. And the best community server is orange_x3 24/7 with !rtd and !amp. Every server after that has 75+ ping.

I haven't played it consistently for a good year now. Even during halloween event. The last one was so disappointing in many ways.

Who knew, the TF2 killer was TF2 itself.

Valve could have made more mad dosh if they actually put more effort on it, instead of cosmetics.

I think it's dead because of the apalling stupidity and retardation of the TF2 team developing the game itself, the cosmetics are just the symptoms
I swear at this point its better to hand over the development of the game to a select few of the community, since they probably know the game better than the TF2 team themselves

The last halloween is literally nothing
I don't even remember what the fuck did the update has in store at all, the fucking invasion community update is more memorable than the official halloween update
I think valve has lost the point of the halloween updates, where player goof around in maps that have events to spice up the normal gamemode and bosses appearing at some moment in the match for the whole server to fight and now? it's just continuous disappointment ever since 2012

where'd this "tf2 is dead" meme come from

Somebody please explain to me why they consider the game dead other than "i personally don't like it" or "it has slightly less players than it used to".

TF2 sat comfortably up until Overwatch came out, then they realized they had serious competition, and in reaction threw themselves and their game off a cliff.

it's the sellout effect, pretty much

Well it sure only had something in the store, but nothing for game. Fuck, they didn't even bother making spells drop from gift boxes again.

We got cosmetics.

Cosmetics that weren't restricted to halloween/full moon.

Maybe that's because Valve forgot that, despite its looks, TF2 was meant to be taken as a "serious game in a funny setting" and the Halloween updates were meant to tone down the seriousness a bit, whereas nowadays every single class is a fucking moron or can be dressed up as one and half the player base just goofs around the maps trying to imitate their favorite e-celebs

The developers don't want to work on it anymore and the fanbase got even more unbearable than the average massive game's. The only thing holding the game together is youtube personalities, mappers and Valve's need for that constant cash flow.

TF2, the class-based team FPS is dead.
"TF2" the F2P dress-up and trading cashcow rose up and took over in 2010 and took full control in 2011.

Shit made me mad as hell since its another proof that Volvo is a flip-floping bastard that will find ways to take another dollar from its customers
the fucking 2013 - 2014 halloween update gives you FREE cosmetics (restricted though) just by collecting those gift boxes around the map, and Valve suddenly be like hurrr they can't have that WE made those hats they have to pay if they want it!
OH AND LET'S NOT FORGET THE '"""CAMPAIGNS'' THAT VALVE PROMOTES AT ALMOST EVERY UPDATE (before you ask anything, yes Shit Your Match has something like that and its called the competitive pass)

FUCKING VALVE

Pseudo-true, lately. Whatever people are working on it at the moment have made legitimate improvements to the matchmaking system and I actually haven't seen any 1-5 MB hotfixes following an update since matchmaking improvements started, implying the competency of the crew working on it has skyrocketed in recent weeks. There've also been regular bugfixes to some issues players have had for years, and because Matchmaking and MvM run off identical systems the queue-time improvements for matchmaking have followed over to MvM.

Competitive Pass is sheer kikery nobody's going to buy (especially not when its real price is $20 and its fairer $10 is an indefinite half-off sale) though the saving grace is competitive is fucking awful anyhow and we haven't had any actual contracts since Quickplay died due to how reliant the system was on Quickplay.

Why would you do that?

Also should I sell all cosmetics/stranges? Can make like $20.

He's never coming back, is he? I guess Valve would rather have a load of unviable garbage weapons clogging the place up than an effective team member. That's why we still have Pyro,

Demoknight builds have always been useless shits that aren't good for anything other than roaming - something that can be said for more popular alternate class builds because that's the only way Valve can fathom to rebalance items.

But you can.
The community server browser is still there and works just fine.

My only guess is that they're trying to save money by reducing empty servers.

Awesome, can't wait to play with furries and bronies.

That makes sense. Surely they can't cost that much money, but then again it is Valve.

Hi Alpha.

It's not Alpha, if anyone knows that, I do. He wouldn't get only 20 bucks from them.

Personally I don't think the new matchmaking is that bad I can understand preferring quickplay to it but i'm really sick of the "just use community servers" excuse.

90% of the community servers that actually have players on them are stuff like jailbreak or 'silly servers' where you don't actually fight or 24/7 orange low gravity all crits rtd
The closest you'll find to a 'normal' server is 24/7 2fort.

Everybody thought community servers would rise up again because of how horribly matchmaking was handled but it still wasn't handled quite badly enough (and was actually fixed in a short enough timeframe) that people came to accept it as the new Quickplay and servers are still dead on the whole, though I do notice they're more active than they were in Quickplay days.

TF2 aint fucking working properly anymore. I experience cilent-lag, which means the servers are fucking up.
Chile servers in particular dont work right anymore.

Is anyone experiencing this issue or can help fix it?

It will come back, just give it time. this is all because of how abrupt and sudden Valve removing quickplay in the first place, if it aint broke don't fix it

I think it'll take absolute catastrophe with Valve's pubs to force any change back to community servers, personally. Like matchmaking being completely unplayable instead of just bad.

Pinion was a mistake and Valve shouldn't have ever allowed it, they were stupid enough that they made Quickplay instead of just killing Pinion. Though there again it's kind of the Valve way to not take the most direct method of action just because, even if they themselves allowed the problem to manifest/fester.

Given it's been years, I can't blame the devs for being bored of it and not having any real ideas left for anything but hats.

At its absolute core TF2 is still the same game, they've just had fun with the setting (though personally I'd love more goofy-masculine background stuff like Shakespearicles or Abe Lincoln rocketjumping to the second-floor of his home before getting fed up with it and inventing stairs) and allowed far too much explicitly bad community input at this point. There's also some things they deliberately played up that they didn't need to or were just plain lazy on; they went with probably the most obvious method of elaborating on Pyro's pyromania I've ever seen and honestly I haven't met a single guy that wasn't disappointed by Meet the Pyro in some fashion.

I'd love more community updates along the lines of Alien Invasion, it's all a matter of Valve pulling their heads out of their asses. And they do, from time to time; recently they've done a great deal of it with how frequently matchmaking's gotten updates, and there's clearly some competency behind the programmers now since constant hotfixes after even tiny bugfixes haven't been a thing for a month or more now.

If that were the case, there wouldn't be any identification-ruining items in the game, at all, and gamemodes would actually be playtested for fitting into the game before being put in.

But on a design level none of the cosmetics really mess with silhouette, character stature or general body shape enough that you can't tell who's who at a glance, especially since all body/clothing-changing cosmetics have to adhere to the original profile of each character. Matter of fact cosmetics make it easier to identify individual players.

Lazily-made new gamemodes are a whole different animal altogether and have little to no bearing on the general core which is CP, CTF and TC that the game launched with; when most people think TF2 they think CP or CTF, maybe KOTH or MvM in more recent years.

Not really. The bloated mess of items ruins individual class identity and makes interclass balance and synergy a joke - there's only a handful of effective builds and a fraction of them that actually respect original class design. Regardless of class composition, it seems like more than half the team has their builds designed to focus on roaming and just being proficient in 1-on-1 fights rather than contributing to the team.

I'd say the only weapons that really obscure class identity are Huo-Long Heater, Gunslinger (to an extent), Scout's throwables and anything pertaining to Demoknight, honestly. Heavy being able to produce fire is a load of horseshit, Gunslinger's mini-sentries are annoying for everyone involved and trying to make a defensive class into an offensive one ended in failure, the cleaver is a glorified Scout puff-and-sting and Mad Milk makes me want to puke like every other weapon that enables self-healing, and Demoknight is so hilariously out of place that Valve didn't even pretend any weapons that came after it had any relation to Demo with things like a fucking Aladdin scimitar when the original concept weapon was explicitly a Scottish claymore.

Half the team being roaming builds strikes me more as the fault of kiddies trying to emulate Youtubers and wanna-be comp players than it does Valve's, I know in my own experiences Soldiers with Black Box, Concheror and maybe Zatoichi are usually pretty terrible and just following a meme build.

Items, user. Items. I'm talking about gameplay, and gamemodes, along with their respective maps factor well into that. Throwaway gamemodes and garbage like MvM are a waste of hard drive space, and with how much shit is in the game, I'd say it isn't worth the bandwidth.

There's several more.
It's the mess of items that facilitates that - those kids are attracted to customization and faffing about and the plethora of newer items and their design allow them to do so without immediate repercussion.

TF2 has not had any actual new weapons added since 2014.
Mannpower seemed like Valve actually cared about the game again, but it's just basically a "lol ur a superhero now" mode with no fucking balance at all.
There are still many worthless and OP weapons which have yet to get nerfs/buffs despite the community practically begging Valve for years.

Valve only cares about VR, DoTA 2 and CS:GO anymore. Valve does not care about TF2, and they also don't seem to care about OW stealing its audience.
I don't like OW as it's basically a TF2 ripoff, but I applaud somebody for realizing Valve is just fucking shunning its fans and capitalized off of it.

Why is something being a "rip-off" a reason to hate it? Especially when it addresses a lot of the problems the original game had? (Still need fucking community server and mod support though).

You can't be serious, can't you?
All it does is occupy the opposite end of the spectrum in class flexibility - TF2 classes being far too fluid and roles being muddled while Overwatch characters are far too rigidly defined, leading to more and hilariously dominant and others suffering from crippling over-specialization.