Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries

I downloaded MW4Mercs to prevent my Steel Battalion controller from being useless. It's pretty fucking great. I may stream it, or start up a multiplayer game or two…

myabandonware.com/download/3b0-mechwarrior-4-mercenaries

Other urls found in this thread:

sarna.net/wiki/MechWarrior_(1989_Video_Game)
youtube.com/watch?v=sdqCjPsBeog
puu.sh/rhvn4/5c729ac153.webm
discord.gg/5yB9QvS
mediafire.com/download/5zp5tpdfr22662d/mw3Loader0.01.zip
evolvehq.com/recruit/party?token=player:uYsPIX5a5EcA8qKG,party:nxUkr6rBd_x8zceN
clancoyote.com/main/download/33/mw4mercs-3-1-w-maps
mega.nz/#!tF40jQiI!TkTCQvYkOQKOMT1ycG1eXskZo8fB-v-1xfdsi4ey_Vw
youtube.com/user/LynxVGL/videos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not to hijack thread, but can someone give me the TL;DR on this series?

I've only ever played MechWARrior3 when I was stupider and on a shittier pc.

It's a pretty good game, OP. I've been playing through it these last few days. It makes me want another singleplayer MW game, but with MWO still alive and well that's not happening any time soon. There's a TBS Battletech game that was kikestarted not long ago, but it's not the same.

Does it still run poorly on modern systems? Last I tried to play it the game ran at like 8 fps when I'm running a machine that runs GTA5 at 144 on high.

I had similar problems at first, but then I figured out that Alt-Enter was windowed mode, and the problem just went away.

You got battlehawk and sequels which are basically mech RPGs, they're dated as fuck but pretty cool. Then you got MechCommander series which is decent to crappy RTS depending on who you ask.

The main series basically goes MW2 > MW3 > MW4mercs > MW4, or in reverse if we're going by which one is easier to get to run/get into.

MWOnline is cancer and we may or may not get a new decent RTT game some time in the future.

Never played it.
Awesome game. It may be somewhat dated but I played it not long ago and had a blast. You may want to skip it if you're a faggot that can't live without shiny graphics. The expansions are good, too.
Never played it, although it's a common opinion that it's the best in the series.
Underwhelming, but not really bad. However, the Mercenaries standalone expansion is damn good. It's linked in OP so go get it.
It's free to play. I never played it because of that, but you're free to try it out I guess.

You're not talking about HBS's new game are you? It's gonna be turn-based.

You played the best one in the series, doesn't get any better.

Too small scaled to call it a strategy with a straight face. But yeah, fingers crossed and all.

Then maybe you should abandon your unremitting quest to become the slutiest mech warrior.

Not that this will happen, dumb ass bitch ass hoe.

i did it for free because it was the right thing, you bully.

You probably got that Steiner dick so far up your ass it comes straight out of your throat, slut.

I guess in today's society being a whore is considered the morally upstanding path in life. Keep doing what you're good at, spreading those buttcheeks to give our guys a break while the other big boys get all the real work done.

Shame on you for not recognizing Davion's 8th Hotpocket brigade

clans or inner sphere?

That slut is probably so wide he can fit an Atlas in his boipvssy.

I don't know what to feel since I'm partially (like 1%) responsible.

Techwise? Clan. I adore clan mechs and tech. Expensive but well worth it.
They're full of degenerates, though. Only a few of the clans are worthy of Kerensky's legacy.

It's honestly a welcome change from the usual r/science tier bait

Doubt you're clan material if you need to ask

Fuck everything.

At least I got to play the ever-loving shit out MechAssault 1 and 2. That shit was cash money as fuck.

THIS IS DUNCAN FISHER REPORTING LIVE FROM DOWNTOWN MONTENEGRO AND THE TALK TONIGHT IS ABOUT PETER DEXTER!

HE IS COME OUT OF RETIREMENT AND IS ANXIOUS TO GET ANOTHER CHANCE AT SOLARIS CHAMPIONSHIP! HIS LAST LIGHT GAME WAS A BRUTAL DISPLAY OF SKILL AND THIS OLE DOG HAS LEARNED SOME NEW TRICKS!!

Here's your reply.

Mechassault is freeborn's first mech baby experience, fam.

Mechassault was bad.

It was my first mech game. And it was a game regardless. Granted, it's not the best mech game ever, certainly not that I've ever played, but just because there are better mech games doesn't make other ones default shit.

And here's your reply, Mr Factually Incorrect.

Oops

If you haven't played any Mechwarrior how can you tell whether assault is shit or not?

i think there is a quadruple installation pack with all the mechwarrior games made by a slav that can run in any machine.

Are you being serious?

You know can tell if a game is good by playing it. A game can be good on it's own, not comparatively. You don't need to play a game and then find a game in the same franchise and play it to compare. You should know this.

Well if any has feel free to post it. I'll have a look but my google-fu has always been weak.

If you can try it, play MechWarrior 1.

You basically go around the Inner Sphere as a mercenary company. You can work for any House and before you go on a mission you can choose who in your crew will go with you along with determining how much money or salvaged mech you get. If you get salvage you can piece together new mechs without buying them or new weapons, etc. Or if you have a lot of money you can buy them but they are expensive.

sarna.net/wiki/MechWarrior_(1989_Video_Game)

youtube.com/watch?v=sdqCjPsBeog

Its pretty neat but its old. If you want to get into the series start with either 4 or 3 (if you can get it to work). If not try out the 2 trilogy in order of release.

mechwarrior is kinda like babies first mech game. bit of an insult to reduce the steel battalion controller to it.

Unlike?

have fun without weapons you stupid metal duck

Well fuck me, after months of not working MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries now suddenly doesn't quit out on load up from an error. Well I know what I'm doing all day today.

Same here. omnitech & wolfman just don't do it anymore.

no satan, go away

I'm actually expecting some japshit.

Can you put 4x LRM 20s on your mech in 4?
No.
Sad!

I don't know why mechwarrior babies can't read

see

Oh sorry, I thought for a second that you couldn't possibly be retarded enough to consider buyer's remorse battalion as an appropriate example. I sincerely apologize friend.

your mere existence violates zellbrigen

Elaborate?

What's there to elaborate?

mw4 has the gay tetris mechlab

I've heard it's good form people who have played it. I mean they guys making it tend to make enjoyable games, they made the Shadowrun Returns series and the first one was okay enough, but the next two were steady improvements over it.

Hopefully they make it moddable like they did their Shadowrun games so if they do fuck it up it'll be repairable.

I wouldn't know, I've never played it before.

That doesn't sound as much like a negative as you might think it does.

Oh boy, time to figure out which port to forward to host a server!

DMS was and still is garbage. DFdc and HK are fine to good. Again, fingers crossed.

And? 80 LRMS ain't that heavy or hard to fit. Ammo is heavy and the heat may torch you but missile boats are pretty fun in 4.

it forced some variety on you, which is fun until you want to stick 20 erppcs on a medium mech with no armor or heatsinks.

I think you don't understand that a gay tetris block forcefully descending into unarmoured heatsink is erotic

Mercenaries server testing!
Let me know if it works!

I expect failure, but I'll give it a go now.

LAPD, get on the ground

user that is the pupper of forever ever

ib4 ratbat: atlas edition

PURPLETON GO HOME

Isn't what Harebrained or whatever guys are doing basically MechCom?

They were so into it that I really enjoyed that. Thanks user.

Can't see shit.

MechCommander is RTS (RTT is more accurate)
The new game is a TBS

still a good pic for dreams that will never come true.

maybe, but its blasphemes the liru who should be celebrated as the vidya mascot of pleasant surprises, hope and perseverance.
cant just let /bane/ have all the fun can we?

The fact we are this far in and no ones mentioned how fucking standout awesome Mechwarrior 2 Mercenaries is brings GREAT SHAME.

But seriously, it's worth pointing out that mw2 merc's was such a fun fucking game and far more entertaining then the base of mw2 and I loved mw2.

As someone who only played MW4Mercs, what are the big differences between stock MW4 and the expansion?

Mechs available, some weapons being game specific and the campaign(s).

so you want me to delete the pic and never use it?

too big for uploading, so…
puu.sh/rhvn4/5c729ac153.webm

Man, once I get some cash to spare I need to get a set up specifically for mech games and space sims. You definitely need practice, though. Does the controller not allow for turning your torso? You kinda just steered a lot which lead to you bumping into your target.

The left stick is torso-turning. It's more that I'm really green.

Sorry OP but you kinda suck at this game. Unlock your torso, use the arms as shields, use those 20/40/60/80% engine "gears", either learn to joust or learn to circle - you're killing yourself with the cookoff, and use several groups of ermedium lasers for maximum efficiency the big ones are only worthwhile if you're good enough a sniper for joint/headshots

I understand. I just got it today, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the tips, by the way.

MW4 Mercenaries? Great game.
Get the Mektek megapack.

Spam Solaris matches. Get money, fuck bitches.

The one I linked has all 3.1 Mekteks built-in

What's your favorites?

I'm partial to Canis, Deminos, Bushwaker, Hellhound, Behemoth and Tenchi.
Blackheart and Pitbull are also nice

I'm still learning how all of them work, tbh.

Hell, could be a lot worse then. Few more then: don't ignore ballistic weaponry, boating/muh-gorillion-lazers-and-nothing-but is for scrubs or at least a few dedicated mechs. Don't ignore clan flamers as two can lock down a mech in just a few shots. Get into habit of either running like crazy until you setup for those long recycle weapons or keeping you distance while you pepper him with head seeking mosquito bites. SRMs, AC5s and ermediums work wonders for second while something like grouped PPCs or AC20s can take a heavy in a shot or two. Bigger/clan is not always better. Cultivate your broken-AI lancemates early, you gonna need those fuckers in certain missions. Always get a LAMS and or a jammer if possible, running passive sensors also helps. Jumpjets are great only if you know what you're doing.

Going for legs is generally not worth it. Chance for salvaging a mech after a battle is directly tied to how damaged it ended up, and a missing leg is almost as bad as it gets. Plus some of these motherfuckers have a ton of armor on them.

Thanks a lot for that.
Also, I think I finally got the ports worked out, so I'm gonna try hosting again.

Just remember that most tank fighting tactics apply here, you're looking to always present those sections you can afford to lose but also that in turning sideways you minimize your profile. It's also funny when he opens up a big salvo before lining up correctly and his entire left/right burst flies ten meters away.

is MWO worth playing?

Is this how WhoreWarrior was invented?

So long as you don't pay money to those scumbag fucks yes.

But if you ever want to see a real mechwarrior game again avoid it in hopes they get the license taken from them sooner then later.

Anyone knows where I can get vengeance?

Also, how am I supposed to finish the alst mission? How can you survive 5 lances, support units and then save whoever you chose? Shit's fucking impossible

at least you have some hope, mine is shota mechwarrior game

its still going with weekend chaos marches, you know. Best multiplayer mechwarrior we have by a significant margin. organized on discord, if you're interested. discord.gg/5yB9QvS

I actually downloaded the LL+Crysis Wars demo pack but completely forgot to install it. I'll be sure to log on during the weekend.

I was going to download it, then I heard it was dead for years and forgot about it
I'll be there tomorrow I guess

Shit, man. I was asleep. Did anyone join?

Nope, but I can try hosting again.

Is there anything you need to play MW4 online with folks?

From what I've seen, other than the IP, you MIGHT need to forward ports 2300-2400. But that's a huge pain in the ass, soooo…

Does that download come with the mekpak v3.2b, because if it doesnt you're missing out

I think it's only up to 3.1, but I could be wrong…

Welp, looks like the only real option I have to host multiplayer effectively, is to use something similar to Hamachi. Not actually Hamachi though, god no.

Shit, this thread's already dying? Say it ain't so…

Here fags
MW3 loader, makes running mw3 easy.
mediafire.com/download/5zp5tpdfr22662d/mw3Loader0.01.zip

3.1 might be ok then, I can't even remember the difference between 3.1 and 3.2. I suspect most of the content MetTek added is in 3.1, so it's probably feature complete and has most of the worthwhile mechs/.

Also:

MW 2 Mercs > MW 4 Mercs > Mech 3 > MW 2 > MW 4 Vengeance > MW 2 ghost bear > MW 3 Pirates moon > Mechwarrior 4 Black knight

There are two 3.1 versions. Standalone and Disc versions. 3.1 Standalone is the latest release.

I played MW2 and MW4 Mercenaries when I was younger but never really understood the universe's lore. I really should give MW2 a go again after all this time.

Wait, so 3.1 isn't with the added Mekpaks?

3.1 is with the added mekpaks. Standalone version should go all the way up to the Linebacker.

Here's his bloopers

part 2

Maybe you should check the thread before you post.

Yes you can put 4x LRM 20s on your mech in 4

Mechanically 3 is a better game, but god damn I love the weapon class specific hardpoint system in 4.

this works? holy shit I haven't played MW3 in a decade since it's been broken.

it is, including the unrestricted tabletop construction rules in MW2 and 3 was a mistake honestly. they're meant to make new designs for the boardgame, the mods you can make are cheesy and game breaking.

I had fun with mw3's mechlab. Problem?

Neg, blasting Trueborn scum with my Ultra AC20 equipped Owens was a blast in instant action.

I heard multiplayer was absolutely horrible because of that. And the netcode of the time…

Well, gonna try using a program called freelan to see if I can fake a LAN game, so we don't have to deal with as much port nonsense…

Freelan was a bust. Too convoluted setup to possibly be viable.
Opinions on using Evolve?

of course you had fun, it's basically cheating. I didn't enjoy how easy and cheesy it makes it so I'd limit myself.

Never heard of Evolve. Is it good? I'd be willing to install it just to try it out with you fags.

It has one of those "gamer" asthetics, so that's a few points subtracted, but it does what I need it to do, so it's worth a shot.

Also, you can join LAN-groups via link, so…
evolvehq.com/recruit/party?token=player:uYsPIX5a5EcA8qKG,party:nxUkr6rBd_x8zceN

OP here, I just went on a hell of an adventure.
Long story short, I met a bunch of old guys in the last remaining MW4 clan, including a former dev, learned how to properly online, and got a fuckton of maps to boot.

Continuing from
First, I posted the wrong version of the game in the OP. Use clancoyote.com/main/download/33/mw4mercs-3-1-w-maps
Second, the only method that worked for online for me was GameRanger. It sucks, but that's what we gotta use if we wanna play it online.

I miss those days. Everyone I know that used to play though is dead

Damn, son. I'll download the game from your link. You're doing God's work.

I also found out how to play the fucking SINGLEPLAYER CAMPAIGN in multiplayer, in case anyone wanted to go for that.

well share it with the class, user.

Basically, it's a map/mission pack one of the guys in that clan made, that essentially replaces the AI allies with other players.
Uploading the installer now, will reply when done.

mega.nz/#!tF40jQiI!TkTCQvYkOQKOMT1ycG1eXskZo8fB-v-1xfdsi4ey_Vw
Also, hosting on GameRanger now.
Infinity Mechs, pass is "rage"

Does it support VR yet?
Or does MW3?

No, but it does support a Steel Battalion controller, which is how I got into this game in the first place.

Be warned, it increases the difficulty insanely by putting in fucktons more mechs. You'll pretty much need Heavy-Assault mechs. It's fun but trash at the same time

I played through a mission of it with a 4-man team of Lights, and we did fine.

Is there a way to buy brand new steel battalion controller? Because I'm too squeamish to touch used goods.

There is not, unless you're willing to shell out a 4-digit number. I got mine used for $125, and that's about as cheap as you'll ever find one.

Huh, must not be the same one I remember. Been so long ago

To be completely fair, it was a team of me, plus three veterans, including the aforementioned dev.

I finished a playthrough of it and Pirate's Moon a few months earlier.

Has anyone been able to get on the gameranger?

well i did, but i wont try to pressure you. i just wanted to throw it out there.

I guess not…

internet dead or IRL dead? it's a weird milestone when you start to lose gaming acquaintances to attrition.

Were you in shit like Wolfhounds or Adders? They are pretty damned powerful in the right hands

I installed the game last night. I gotta go do some shit now, but hopefully I'll be back in 5 or 6 hours.

The Adder taught me to not bully the light mechs. They will fuck you up.

I forget what the others used, but I was in an Uller.

Awesome. Startin' dat server up.

Can confirm Gameranger actually works.

Get in here you fags, I'm actually blowing OP's shit up.

Name is Infinity Mechs
Pass is rage

Come on, anons. Where's your love for big fucking robots?

Bumping because server populated

Does MechWarrior 4 play in a sort of improve your bot slowly and customize it and the Mech carries on towards the end of the game?

You don't just keep one mech. Instead, you keep a stable of sorts and each mission you assign a mech to yourself and your lancemates. You can customize your mechs quite a bit, to the point where two mechs with the same chassis play very differently. You acquire new mechs and weapons via salvage or by purchasing them.

Server's up once more.
Game download for quick access:
Room name: Infinity Mechs
Password: rage

An absolute madman joined the server, and used a PUMA, with TWIN GAUSS RIFLES

Be lucky it wasn't twin UAC-20's

holy shit, this entire channel
youtube.com/user/LynxVGL/videos

I did, what post did i miss?

Forgive me for missing it. Have an awesome chaos march in return.