Funny games

There's so many games about stopping some great force, whether it is a man, monster, spirit, or some other embodiment of vice. They're all so serious, too. Now, It doesn't get tiring playing through the stories, but It's good to have some variety. How many games are there that have either a lighthearted and/or comedic tone overall? I've started playing pic related on the PS2 & I've already started chuckling with the old lady in the bar telling you how much of a slut the barmaid is, the old guy giving you a tutorial, and the whole giant rat skit.

tl;dr: how many games have a comedic or lighthearted story overall, comedic dosen't mean it can't still be serious.

MDK comes to mind,or Dungeon Keeper

Cargo! Quest for Gravity
Tropico

Pretty good song, now I really want something to drink. pic related

Undertale

Mah nigga.

Do you mean exclusively Western games or weebshit can also count?

Muh nigga! lost my PS2 copy so got the gog copy. Battlefield Bad Company's singleplayer, also Bad Company 3 never ever!

Ring Runner Flight of the sages has funny dialogue

Radiata Stories is mostly lighthearted and comedic, though it gets more serious towards the end. It's kind of like Slayers now that I think about it.

Ratchet and clank come to mind.

This nigga knows! It also has good gameplay.

I had the same problem playing Ring Runner I had with reading Discworld.
There's a lot of time going into the worldbuilding but there's so much emphasize on comedy it starts to wear down on you.
You just wanna immerse yourself but it's always silly and nothing is ever to be taken seriously you start longing for "serious relieve".
The few moments that evoke different feelings left the strongest impression too, like the first time meeting Solipso.

Still a great game with the only major mechanical flaw I can remember being how obstacles were trivialized by the fact that you could avoid most of them on the edges of the level.

I rarely see this game talked about on Holla Forums.

It's what "walking simulators" aka adventure games should be.

It actually did make me laugh quite a bit.

Sorry, I don't browse Reddit.

What's Reddit about it?

It's nothing but lolsorandom.
There's a lot of stuff to interact with but there's absolutely no meaning or coherence behind anything.
Have you seen the credits?

Zoe Quinn Voice: Additional Voices
Jim Sterling Voice: Additional Voices

Holy shit I'm living a lie. I thought that it did a good take on 60s spy novels.

>Zoe Quinn Voice: Additional Voices

Pic fuckin related.

You didn't know mate. you didn't know.

Star Control 2 has excellent writing with a lot of humor.

pirate it and be absolved of your sins by stealing money from them

Why doesn't this game get more love?

I already pirated and played it 2bh.

Lucasarts games were pretty popular thanks to their comedic tone. Some Sierra games focused more on slapstick as well. Adventure games (called "point-and-click" these days) had their ups and downs but some had good writers.

The first 3/4 of Final Fantasy 9 is pretty lighthearted.

Giant: Citizen Kabuto, the Citizen Kabuto of video games
Armed and Dangerous

That's just ez mode

I thought Portal did a great job of straight-faced humor, especially considering its more sinister undertones, and I ended up chuckling in more than one occasion

Cause its complete fucking garbage.

is that megabyte?

Had some laughs with Far Cry: Blood Dragon, especially because of the ultra-cheesy dialogue.

Dr Darling: Rex - be careful. Death lies behind that door…

'Rex: 'What kind of death? '''

Dr Darling:……the dangerous one'

Also, Postal II if black humor is your gripe. Hell Yeah! is a nice little platformer with very silly humor.

There's Tropico, of course, and I think there was a older game built in the same fashion that had you run a pirate nest similar to Old Tortuage. Of course, both are ripe with black and absurdist humor.

Serious Sam of course has its moments, especially with the various easter eggs.

Recettear seems to fit what you're talking about. I wanna go play it now.

Stakes are personal, but the world mostly moves on without you.

It gets kinda tiresome in the late-game though, especially if you're grinding to get all items.

Frog Fractions

Yeah but its Far Cry.

That's a lady with a big boost and a tiny dick falling into a portal.

I meant bust

jus niggas n dey phones i spose

da gba mario n luigi games fam i kno i played da first 2 gba ones n dey had me crackin up quite a bit tbh playa

It's actually an Irish song, there's a lot of great Irish songs actually. Lots are really cozy.

Sam & Max is the obvious answer since all of the games are non-serious in tone and there's a good deal of black humor laced throughout. Gex is a contender if you can stomach constant line recycling in the first 3D game, Gex 3 clears up a good deal of that with more level-specific lines and more lines in general.

I fucking love FF9 for just being a fun ride, to this day Zidane's probably the only game protag I can think of that played grab-ass without it being a huge deal or coming off as awkward. It reminded me of FF5 a lot in general tone which isn't surprising since the whole game was a deliberate throwback to older FFs after the edgefests that were FF7 and FF8. Oh, all that and it got fucking Dragoons and Blue Mages right, Jump is not a limit break you fucking idiots and neither should Blue Magic be a fucking limit break, holy God Cid's jump limit breaks were infuriating and the same goes for Kimahri's Jump and Blue Magic being locked behind limit breaks.

Party interaction was fantastic with certain ability sets from unfeatured classes like Sword Magic being available with the right character set-up, plus a Tactics-like system of class progression with generally learning new skills through weaponry.

Gunslinger is pretty fucking funny in my opinion. The whole game is basically a guy in an inn telling others a story of his adventures and obviously bullshitting them. There are instances in the game where it stops the action, goes slightly back in the story, because the guy who is telling the whole thing fucked something up. vid related

Ok… guess Im getting Call of Juarez Gunslinger…

Is this on the easiest mode played by a toddler? The gameplay looks terrible.

The voiceacting in EDF 4.1. made me laugh a few times. They really embraced the B-movie tier cheese and there's HUNDREDS of voice lines for some reason.
Video related at around 0:27. I couldn't stop grinning when I first did this ingame.

The game is very arcade-y and not very challenging until you unlock true-west mode. It was a budget game, but I liked it for what it was.

MOTHER 3 makes you laugh if you are into some light hearted humour, it even has a manzai routine, bearded men acting and dressed as women as well as some other funny stuff. But it does get grim at parts and it made me cry at the end.

Gotta admit, that made me chuckle.

i thought undertale was pretty funny

MDK 1 and 2
Doom 1 and 2 have a lot of humorous elements (Doomguy's vengeance fueled by the murder of his pet rabbit, sarcastically-written narration in the interlude screens, certain levels are designed with a funny gimmick or secret)
Final Fantasy IX
Ratchet & Clank series
Dead Rising
Serious Sam
Fallout 1, 2, and New Vegas (Bethesda writing is shit)

Though I found the second one a lot less funny. Frankly it was a let down gameplay-wise too.

i read it in patrick bateman's voice

Any Mario RPG and Phoenix Wright always make me laugh. My dad used to play TTYD as well, and we quoted that game all the time.

Can't die in my sleep soon enough.

Zenith has some potential for fun.

Lots of elf bullying in the beginning, humor is mostly satire and parody on RPG's in general.