Buy a Wii U or wait

I've just moved out and im trying to build a tolerable circle of normalfags to hang out with during university, and the most tolerable thing most of them seem to play is Smash Bros 4 (which is much better than i expected).

I don't have a Wii U and would buy one to play with them, not just for that game but for several ones i've wanted to play for some time now. However the Nintendo NX is on the horizon.

So, Holla Forums, is it a reasonable purchase? Will the NX be an actually good console or will it be a handheld like most sources say? Should i wait?

Other urls found in this thread:

please
archive.is/KbDNM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There are some great games on the Wii U, I won't deny that, but its hard to recommend one for unless you're very serious about it and you know the console has no future.

Besides, never buy a new system at launch anyways

Wait till NX comes out. Wii U will get a price drop.

There are some smah copy games on steam you can try those in the meantime

Cemu can run Mario Kart 8 on your PC at 60 fps.

Maybe you can make it run Smash Bros too.

Wait until we know what the NX is before you buy it. There could be backwards compatibility.

Wait for the NX reveal/release. The price will drop then for a short window of time before becoming the next Dreamcast and autists magnetize to it causing a price fluctuation up.

wait i was trolled into buying a wii u by Holla Forums 2 year ago THE SYSTEM COST TOO MUCH

they ask you to pay as much as you would for a ps4 for that system it. it's comparable to a ps3. it's should have dropped in price years ago.

I wanted to convince myself I did a good purchase.
I did not.
Do not buy it. Wait for more info about the NX, and let's see what happens.

I wonder how many people fell into Holla Forums's trap on this one.

And not this Holla Forums, this Holla Forums doesn't like/buy anything, i'm talking about halfchan Holla Forums aka nintendogaf.

I have one and it's not worth it. I enjoyed several wii games though since I never had one. Just wait for the NX and get it when there is some games you care about.

The NX will probably have retrocompatibility so I guess owning a WiiU now is worthless. Also, Nintendo hates the WiiU, it may have a few good titles but it stays there, just a few and Nintendo isn't interested to release more games on the platform from what I can see.
I would say that it's not worth it for now, at least wait for the NX announcement, if it's not gonna have retrocompatibility the WiiU will get a price drop. Either way is a win/win situation.

Just get a dreamcast man. They're dirt cheap and you can burn a ton of multiplayer vidya.

Wii U can be softmodded with current firmware. This is something to consider, since Nintendo hasn't updated it in a long time. If you can get it cheap, I guess get it. There's not many games on it, and many got butchered during localization, so I wouldn't rush anything.

NX may have backwards compatibility, but I doubt it'll be modded out the gate unless it's another Gamecube/Wii deal.

Some sources say the NX will be a handheld, with maybe just a portion that can be plugged into a TV, like this one: please use archive.is/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

Wouldn't make a lot of sense to me. Making their home console lineup even more indecipherable and putting an end to the successful *DS brand.

However if it is one, it seems like the Wii U will stay the top-of-the-line console by Nintendo.

Archive archive.is/KbDNM

If you can find one for less than 100 bucks and intend to just go full piracy then yeah otherwise not really, if you don't own a Wii or NGC or a PC decent enough to emulate them either you can probably push a bit more.

I highly doubt is gonna be a handheld considering that the 3DS is selling well and has longer lifetime for now while the WiiU is already dead.
I do think that it's gonna be an hybrid or whatever you want to call it, but I'm sure that the will be a desktop console considering that is gonna get the new Legend of Zelda and I doubt a handheld can run that game.

fixed

mod it and have a nintendo 6th, 7th, and 8th gen box.

The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are worth getting the system for if you're into stylish action. I didn't care for Smash 4 at all but that, Splatoon, and Mario Kart 8 are all decent multiplayer options, as well as a handful of other good single player games.

But no, buying one this close to the release of the NX when practically no information has been released about the NX is pretty retarded, especially if there's a chance the NX will in any way give you a better experience with the same games. Only reason you should be considering the Wii U is because it was already cracked.

ya no their fucking dead mate

If you can get your hands on a used black one for sub $200 I think it would be a pretty good investment, especially since it's probably going to be cracked soon. Just don't give Nintendo money like I did.

BEST GAME

i am pretty much close to 100% on all levels, the most comfy game ever

emulation for this system is progressing quickly enough that i say hell no, don't waste any money on any consoles this gen

Wait to buy a Wii U until the NX comes out, or buy the NX when the NX comes out.
If you buy a Wii U now, you will regret your purchase. Not because of the product, but because of the price dropping near the NX's release.

I actually feel like they're just going to phase it out without ever dropping the price.

I can't remember a time where Nintendo held out this long in a system's life before.

I'm not sure. I think there was a credible argument for buying it even a year ago, but putting down $200-300 on a console with mere months of life left, that Nintendo has clearly said they plan to drop support for ASAP in favor of the NX, doesn't really make much sense.

That said, it's pretty clear from the "leaks" (pretty sure they were planned by Nintendo to drum up third party interest) that the NX is going to be a handheld/console hybrid, is going to use a completely different architecture from the GameCube legacy, and thus will never ever have Wii U backwards compatibility. And while obviously Breath of the Wild is coming to NX and some other games will probably get remastered NX releases somewhere down the line, there are quite a few games that have been all but confirmed will never be directly ported to the NX, including Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. So if you want to play those games, it still could be worth picking up a Wii U somewhere down the line.

It all boils down to how quick Nintendo is about filling up the NX's library. For instance, if they launch with a remastered Smash 4 (entirely possible), then you pretty much dumped $200-300 on a few months of Smash. But if they're going to wait to release a true Smash sequel (which would be a bad decision but also entirely possible), then that Wii U would still have Smash-playing value for 1-2 years to come.

Apparently the Nintendo Direct that will announce the NX and its launch lineup is happening this month. I would wait until that before buying anything. But in the grand scheme of things, no matter how objectively silly of a purchase it may be, $200-300 for something that will help you bond with your friends for a fairly long length of time is not really that expensive.

On the other hand it's an even better emu-box than the Wii but for that kind of money I think I'll stick with my modded Wii until that shit falls under $100.

The NX might support the Wii U gamepad as an accessory, like what some people still think it is for the Wii. You could play digitally downloaded Wii U games with it instead of using whatever the NX controller will be. That'd make Wii U owners feel slightly less terrible about their purchase.

Even as a nearly abandoned technical and marketplace failure, the Wii U continues to have a far better library than any of its competitors. Bloodborne remains the only worthwhile exclusive on either.

The Wii U proved (to Nintendo, if no one else) that traditional home consoles aren't working for them any more. They're spending significantly more development effort and getting much less money out of it than the 3DS. It was either this, or abandon home consoles entirely.
Remember when they ended the Game Boy brand for the DS? Remember when it floundered at launch and didn't really pick up steam for a year? Everyone thought it was the blunder of the century then too.

The 3DS will be 6 years old when the NX launches, and it was already outdated when it launched. It was due for some kind of successor.

It makes a lot of sense from a technical and development standpoint. The capabilities of mobile and desktop/console hardware are closer now than ever before. The majority of the difference in power between the two boils (hurrrr) down to heat and power management. You simply don't get to see the true power of your smartphone or tablet because it would chew through the battery and literally burn your hands.

The 3DS was the last of its kind, semi-custom hardware that worked nothing like contemporary desktop/console chipsets. Tiny VRAM, programmable vertex shaders, and fixed function (albeit quite flexible) pixel shading. Porting a modern game to the 3DS practically required starting from scratch to fit within the limitations. Today, the mobile chipsets that drive your phones and tablets have basically the same capabilities and programming models as their desktop brethren, only with an order of magnitude (several when thermally limited) less computational throughput.

Separate console and portable teams have been employed since the Game Boy, but now the capabilities of mobile and console hardware are close enough that it simply doesn't make sense to separate the the teams. They were already headed in this direction with several cross-platform 3DS and Wii U releases, even with the technical challenges of doing so. This restructuring is the logical conclusion. It's going to allow their successful develop-on-the-cheap portable teams to help prop up the "console audience," while the high-end console teams get to bring their blockbuster titles to the much larger "handheld audience." It's easily the smartest move Nintendo has made in a decade.

The Wii U only sold 13 million units world wide. It makes no financial sense to hamstring their design with backwards compatibility to a console that sold that poorly.