D2/LoD

why is this game so unbalanced lategame with gear/charms?
is there any ARPG better than this one?
how do you survive pic related as a barb?
the undead stygian dolls are extra strong might aura stoneskin
botters need not post ITT

Other urls found in this thread:

grimcalc.com/build/NqjRUOg
youtube.com/user/egodbout2/videos
diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_II_Walkthrough#Catacombs
moddb.com/mods/shaders-enhanced-pack/downloads/shaders-pack-10
moddb.com/mods/sound-of-the-dawn/downloads/sound-of-the-dawn-10
diablo.gamepedia.com/Smiter_by_dub_Lucifer
nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/3/?
diabloii.net/forums/threads/item-generation-from-racks.788376/
grimcalc.com/build/bj7B20N
pastebin.com/ZhXXzaTL
extreme-gamerz.org/diablo2/viewdiablo2/serverhosting
pvpgn.pro/
bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=8866&action=diff
pastebin.com/4HEeB4Cd
archive.is/7gHmb
pastebin.com/czREi17J
github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server/releases
pvpgn.pro/download/d2gs/
archive.is/VevR7
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Diablo II pretty much hit the nail on the head for ARPGs and still stands the test of time, anything more is an opinion. If you want more of the same base game then pick up Titan Quest/Grim Dawn or if you want something built around racing/ladderfaggotry, and online play download Path of Exile.

I wish I still had my disc set, I used to have D2 installed on every machine in my house.

What exactly is your definition of "late game" or end-game for D2?

im referring to, hell difficulty, things like inventories filled with 3 max damage 20 attack rating 20 life small charms, stuff like runeword enigma, call to arms, grief, phoenix, and fortitude, and paladins with 10 +1 combat skills or offensive auras grand charms using 3 4k+ damage blessed hammers every second and and sorcs with 10 +cold spell skills grand charms spamming 7+k blizzards with gigantic cold res pen

and that paladin and sorceress both don't have the best non-MF gear; with it they'd be hitting alot harder, as I've heard of sorcs having 10k+ blizzards before

most enemies in act V hell difficulty that aren't especially beefy don't even have 10k hp

have you ever played ladder to the end of hell difficulty before?

classic D2 had better balance imo

2/10 wouldn't do hell hardcore ladder Baalrun with.

well i beat em anyway before the first post, but i wanted to see reactions to it

just had to lure out the bats first, but the boss stygian doll hit me for 600 damage in 1 hit while i was cursed; even with over 18k defense i still would've been a goner if i went in the fray for more than 7 seconds

enjoy your short-range whirlwinds and low physical damage; an obedience with fortitude and some unique items would be better since you'll just hit so much harder and get more range, physical(and overall) damage, attack rating, and defense, and then you can still get life leech and a bit of mana leech too

Should I start with paladin or warrior? I'm sort of leaning paladin because I'll bet they get a sweet armour set.

Sets are really meh in d2 look-wise although most of the characters look awesome in plate.

Iirc, Necros get some nifty bonuses with armor sets, and they're viable now.

But you don't really need the range. Just dodge and jump. It always works and makes you extra strong against elemental magic cunts.

Paladin a best tho

You're not going to stack these things without cheating, though.

ARPG thread?

I've been playing Titan Quest.

I'm doing a twin bears Druid build because I heard it sucks dick, what should my skill allocation be like? Oak spirit or something else?

You'll never get these without either cheating, grinding for 1000s of hours or getting this shit from someone else (who's cheating). Play the game from scratch with friends or solo hardcore and see, it's a completely different (better) experience.

Playing torchlight. It's ok, nothing special.

Is the second one any good ?

torchlight games are trash

try Fate series instead

I've been playing Grim Dawn, played through as an Arcanist with the beam laser spell, but then got bugged at the final quest so I couldn't go to the next difficulty. I started over with a Demolitionist using guns, but that got boring so I started a Soldier. The soldier is damn near invincible, and still manages good damage output thanks to Cadence.

Classic D2 already had a bunch of duping powergamers playing, it just became much more abuseable with runewords and charms. And of course Blizz never really gave a fuck and only went after dupes when methods became public, cause we can't have the pretend economy crash and have all the plebeians run a around with dual Spirit.

If you didn't like the first one, you'll like the second one even less.
It's really more of the same just spread out more.
Personally, I love Torchlight games, even more than Diablo, but that's mostly because I've been spoiled by modern vidya.
Same goes for Titan Quest vs Grim Dawn. Played TQ Anniversary edition through, got to the final boss of Act 1 and just ran out of potions while he regenerated most of his health back through life stealing minions. Most bosses in TQ killed my Warden (Archery plus a bit of Defense for survivability) in 3-4 hits so I had to do vid related to beat them, while in GD my Arcanist could take a few hits and regen health if she was far enough.
Health regen really is an important survivability aspect, at least in early game, I've just joined the Necromancers.
grimcalc.com/build/NqjRUOg

I've owned fate 1 in the past and it was pretty meh. Are the sequels any better ?

And before people say that I'm doing it wrong by not picking laser of death: its damage to energy ratio is shit, especially when compared to the replicating missile.
Torchloght did the death laser right while T2 nerfed it, but at least they improved the teleportation skill.

Does Grim Dawn get more interesting? The itemization and skills are solid, graphics are ok but the enemies are so fucking bland and interchangeable I'm losing interest. I've played for 4-5 hours and it's been the same zombies, rats and snakemen over and over again.

it gets better and more enemies appear later on. Devotion is what makes the game really. once you unlock the right devotions for your skills it feels great

Yeah, they vary up a bit into the game. You get more advanced goblins, trolls, creeping cave ogres, some giants with fucking trees for maces, cultists that throw AIDS blood at you, acid worms, surprisingly tough skeletors, skeletor priests and skeletor death archers that will fuck your shit up if you don't wear good armor, undead golems, spooky ghosts, fat birds with stuns and slows, necromancers/paladins, chimeras, scarecrows and angry farmers.

What he said. The rewards for your offerings to Devotion shrines are usually worth it.

Thanks, I'll slog through the early game then. From Torchlight, PoE and Grim Dawn, GD is the one that feels the most like Diablo to me.

be sure to read all the lore and notes you find to get immersed into the atmosphere

Well you inspired me to play D2 again after many years. I always get tired of the game when you get to the jungle levels, there's just something so fucking annoying about the place, as well as the small corridors in the desert full of lighting bugs.

I've only beaten the game with barbarian and necromancer, are any of the others fun? I don't like kiting.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE YOU ANTI SEMETIC PIECE OF SHIT REEEEEEEEEE

Sorry, it was a typo.

I don't like KIKING.

:^)

Its like you spend points on something other than HP.

git gud

Git gud noob.

jet jew chaim

The Diablo 2 wiki sounds a little… off.
Redundant even.

Diablo 2 HD?

enough str & dex to equip, nothing in mana, everyting else in vit

slightly improved version for true redundancy

Cute thing I noticed recently, sometimes skeletons try crawling out of the lava in the River of Flame, only to be dragged back down. It's a cool detail. Also I've got an Ironbarb chilling at level 36 from killing Baal, but am also levelling a couple of Sorcs on players 8 for item finding, one cold one lightning. The cold one already being level 54 on Normal should bother me more.

I agree not playing with the high-end runewords. I tried some mod once to up the item droprate and add ladder-only stuff. Infinity lightning Sorceress especially just melts everything.

What? The only mildly hard item to find in that is a Monarch shield, and that you have to be on ladder.

The stat point system is defective, I'm actually surprised that they haven't got rid of the +mana per level and/or had an energy requirement for staves and other items with staffmods. That'd at least give non-ES players a reason to add to the stat.

The fuck? Link?

diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_II_Walkthrough#Catacombs

Scroll down a bit.

Bitch defense is all about using a shield, how did you decide a 2 hander and skills all about using shields made sense.
Yeah the game's earlygame is awful, still has some of the funnest late game just by virtue of how horrible broken it is.

I'm stupid and naive, ok?
When Anniversary edition came out somebody posted in a thread here that Hunting + Defense was a fun combo to be a real spartan with a spear.
But I kept finding better bows than spear/shield combos and pretty much one-two shotting mobs while using the spear/shield was slow to kill anyone. I used the same gear for about 5 levels because nothing had better health regen stats and you really need that with melee characters.
Maybe I'll roll something less stupid next time.
Like Spirit and Dream. Or Storm and Defense.

Spears take a bit to get going, but spears are the highest damage in the game
Basically, if you can slog through the early game the game gets pretty fun, but jesus the start is so bad.

Javelin Amazons are quite fast and fun to play

What kind of necromancer have you played as? Most people go for summoners, but bone necros are also fun and pretty viable.

Kick + Traps assasin is a fun combination of melee + caster. Once you get the Death Sentry you can wipe mobs easily

I feel stuck.

Synergies mod and some other steam sweatshop stuff if you're using Steam
it gets better… after about 15 hours, supposedly. I'm the guy who's stuck on the final boss of Act 1. Anniversary edition has a Game Speed option (Normal - Fast - Very Fast). Or the Soulvizer mod. Or Grim Dawn.
Play it with friends and a solid connection or bust.

NO THANK YOU.

One day I need to actually give Amazon a try, she's the one class I've never completed on Normal with.

Thanks, also, I had forgotten about Van Helsing. That has an interesting enough setting and a lot of shooting options.

However.
I want to restart…

Yeah, meant Dream. Haven't touched D2 for about six years so it all starts blurring together.

Now there's a game that couldn't hold MY attention. Everything felt off. The way the camera was so close, how small the trees were, the teeeeny tiny ui elements, ugly font and constant banter between the two main characters. Maybe it would get better, but I'll wait until later, The Final Cut is sitting in my archive.

What about that consoly version of these games - Victor Vran?
I had a bit of fun with it. It's a lot simpler and controls like a twinstick shooter.

All your complaints can be solved the in the tradtional D2 manner of simply not installing LOD.

That said, I agree with the other anons that you're not filling your pack and eq slots with that type of gear unless you bot yourself or trade with botters/cheaters.

I setup my own private D2/bnet server for my friends and I to play on and we've never had an issue.

Huh, I own that, I guess I'll give it a peek and now there's god damn spiders everywhere. Fucking ARPGs, stop setting off my arachnophobia.

The targeting of baguys in ARPG's have come so far that it feels unplayable in D2. A simple patch could fix this though.

Face your fears, user. You will not conquer them otherwise.
I had to jump off 5 or 6 cliffs to stop being THAT afraid of heights. It used to be crippling vertigo, now it's just sweaty palms and mom's spaghetti in my trunks.

i can't make the game go into windowed mode

i went in 'properties , renamed the fucking shortcut and it simply refuses to go into windowed mode

If you're going to play that game, this chart is pretty much mandatory.

That would mean slogging through Torchlight 1 again to face those spiders that drop down on you. That's an extra layer of unpleasant on top of spiders.

I'm no expert, but that wouldn't do diddly dick. If anything, you'd have to rename the original executable

Grim Dawn had the skinny legged ones render in front of your face before they drop down on your character. Those freak me out more than the fuzzy ones.

High def and high vit, failing that find yourself a bow because there's no way in fuck to melee the assholes without killing yourself unless you have in excess of 20k def.

>mfw as paladin I smack them dead in one hit each and never take any damage

What character would you need to solo the uber bosses? I had a Javazon but some of those bosses have allot of immunity's.

Paladin does best I hear.

Is it possible yet to summon ubers in singleplayer?

When I jumped off cliffs it wasn't really the height that was scary it was thinking you'd hit a rock underneath the water.

They were meant to be killed in a group.

With that said, a smite paladin can kill them easilly if you can cast life tap with him.

I've seen videos of Kick Assassins and Frenzy barbarians doing it as well, with a bit more difficulty

if you use the plugy mod you can get all the online only content in offline single player.

Yes, Plugy (and plenty of mods back in the day) let you access ladder-only content

Tried installing grim dawn but jesus christ if you're going to lock the camera to the player character then make damn sure the pc doesn't have any janky movement.

Is there no mod to unlock it or fix the player's movement?

Isn't plugy incompatible with the latest version of d2?

Yes, it's incompatible

I think it only works with 1.12, I'm not sure if its been updated though.

Haven't played d2 in a year, only remember that was the state of affairs.

why would you want D2 to be in windowed mode?
its easy to accidentally click offscreen and thus have to click inside the window to reactivate the window

It works up to 1.13C
Get D2SE if you want a more comfy experience

i soloed uber D on ladder with a bar and got my very own anhillus maybe 2 or more resets ago

im sure a barb could solo the pandemonium event with best in slot gear and charms and level 99 though, but i don't think it'd realistically get done without grinding loot for maybe 5 years

Tried that too ,it just gave me an error after that .Fuck it , i'll just play some Titan Quest or something to get my fix

because when i try to play it at anything higher than 800x600 resolution i get something like this

How about you tell us a little bit more about your system and version of the game?
OS?
Are you running it in compatibility mode?
Did you download any add-ons?
Widescreen/HD mod?
When was the last time you had changed the mayonnaise on your graphics card?

Not that I know of, but I found these nifty little things:
moddb.com/mods/shaders-enhanced-pack/downloads/shaders-pack-10

moddb.com/mods/sound-of-the-dawn/downloads/sound-of-the-dawn-10

Sorry I can't help, but isn't this the case with every ARPG? At least the ones that have a single playable character at a time? I'm sure you'll get used to it after a while, just like classic GTA.

Win7
No add ons
No mods
Marked the fucking compatibility options

As said : fuck it , i'll just go play some Titan Quest or something else instead ; i don't have the time to waste to get just the right conditions and stars alligned to find a goat at this hour to sacrifice to invoke satan to get this to work properly nor the patience to pretend otherwise , it's not like there are no alternatives available to me

The Bezelbub mod for D1 is pretty good. Game looks great and it runs at 60fps

No fuck off I won't, not when there is an unavoidable gradual delay before the camera moves at full speed and another gradual delay before it comes to a full stop.

You'd think having simple, responsive controls and camera would be the most fundamental design basics of any ARPG but they just had to fuck it up the utter muppets.

You see this spoiled brat?
Do you see the cancer that is killing gaming?
This little bitch won't even undergo the satanic rituals to experience Diablo 2 the way it's meant to be played.

No need to be so aggressive, user. Are you playing an early pirated version or something? Because I honestly haven't noticed anything like that in my game.

Tried it when it was released so maybe they patched that particular "feature" out of existence in later updates. I'll have to check again.

Filling your inventory with average quality charms without trading with botters takes month of non-stop grinding. If you grind hell for 16 hours a day for 6 months you might even get a few really good charms. Maybe.

Charms 101:

Anyways, to answer the OP's question: the way to beat those stupid dolls as a barb post 1.10 is to use Grim Totem/Howl and weapon throw them to death. Don't have throwing weapons with high elemental (or high physical if you're Berserk) on swap? Fucking retard, learn to play Barb. Don't have Grim Totem/Howl? Fucking retard, learn to play Barb.

Barb has always been hot garbage until you're farmed like a beast. Untwinked Barb is pure suffering.

Play the median xl mod for diablo 2. You can thank me later.

Did you patch it? It should just werk when you add -w

Grapes of Wrath?

The trick is to get the minions away from him and then kill them, they can't transfer the health if they're too far.

Did I miss it?

I never unerstood why they call it the Durance of Hats.

then play it at 800x600 resolution and stretch it out
disable
i made it work on w7 by checking disable visual themes disable desktop composition and disable display scaling on high DPI settings

it takes maybe less than 20 seconds for the screen to stop being black after I boot up D2:LoD
the only mods im using are 2 txt files to enable ladder stuff for single player and two command line arguments for the .txt files to get used

im not even using compatibility mode

Man, I could never play without Enigma, it makes skeleton necromancers so much better.

Because you'll lose your head after the 50th time a green breastplate drops.

Just play necromancer.

LOOKING FOR BAAL?

decrepify+sword+golem

Ah, Dream… Well even that isn't terribly demanding compared to other high-end runewords, Io+Jah+Pul.

Also doll explosions don't hurt your mercenary. For some reason.

Is this a good smite build?

diablo.gamepedia.com/Smiter_by_dub_Lucifer

Median XL's as good as ARPGs are going to get, I think. PoE isn't terrible.

That might be an idea for the next REAL DIABLO SEQUEL (D3 wasn't it~ Error 37)

GD, PoE or Torchlight? Which should I try next?

gets the atmosphere right, items look rubbish and it drags on a bit at the start, but it gets better, much like TQ
always online by nature, roll of the dice in regards to your playstyle because all skills are bound to the skill gems you find and the gear that can take them b-but that's a green slot, you can't fit a re- ~UUUUUGH NYAAA~
Diablo light. Not as deep, nowhere near as dark, in fact it's quite colorful and is sort of locked in place considering you only travel downwards into the mine (with different aesthetics every 3-4 floors, mind you). I liked it, a lot of people seem to dislike it. Torchlight 2 added multiplayer and spread the world into Diablo-like acts, but some say it spread itself too thin. Recommended to play with friends, loved the shit out of teleporting around the map and annoying my friend with the soundeffect.

I'd recommend Torchlight/T2 with Synergies mod myself, but most vocal people around here seem to be least disappointed with Grim Dawn.

For those of you looking for a "new" ARPG I suggest Median XL D2 mod. Diablo 2 is my favorite game of all time.

It is very well put together. Some mods just throw shit at a wall and dgaf but the guy who made this was brilliant imo. All the end bosses are challenging and actually require skill and thinking to beat. Each boss you kill gives you slight upgrades which help you against the next tier boss. The item system is revamped in a very intelligent way. Thousands of new items that are well thought out for the most part. Can't stress playing MXL enough if you loved D2.

Median XL plays better than it looks? I looks like it goes crazy with the spell effects…….

It plays very well. The guy who made it got hired by the PoE team to write item descriptions and they're all fucking awful, way worse than what he did solo.

it must be hell

Here, let me ease you in with this tame webm.

Quill Rat transformation?

Median was one of those garbage mods where the guy behind it just adds whatever the fuck he thinks is cool and fuck balance, fuck making the game fun, fuck making the game engaging, fuck making it challenging or rewarding. Just random shit. And it ends up being a giant pile of awful.

Reminds me of the trash heap mod Masterwork for Dwarf Fortress.

Yeah maybe 7 years ago. The mod has come a long way with tons of balance.

Old Median had some hilariously bad design.

GD lost 3 things.
1) Item depending so no mater what you build without right items you cant trigger spells or their modification.
2)only 4-7 actual spell bound with over9000 passive modification make game repetitive and skill more on mele/ranged weapon depending. Mage/sorceress gameplay is laking.
3)Boring enemy variety and low q attack animation.

Buddy, you're confusing Grim Dawn for Path of Exile.
Grim Dawn does have a slightly overwhelming DEVOTION system/skill tree, but it's a lot smaller than PoE's and you can get active skills out of some star formations.

put a donk on it
Reminds me of the first time I entered act 2 in T2 with synergy

Is it true that all the classic blizz games are getting a HD remix soon?

Why does it matter.
You're not planning on playing, much less buying anything from them, are you?

Maybe if D2 gets higher resolutions I would.

If the resolution of the picture is the only thing keeping you from getting D2, you must not be all that interested in getting D2.

HD remix would probably be more of a bad thing than a good thing. On one hand, it'll bring in some newbs so I can not get my ass handed to me as much in Warcraft 3. On the other hand, knowing Blizzard, the original artwork and dialogue will get tweaks for the sake of "sensitivity," online will become over-moderated because sensitivity, they'll start suing all the non-bnet servers

Then, if the HD remix is popular enough, they'll start making rushed, shitty new expansions that fuck the whole game.

PoE dont even have a active skill in formations?
I played a little but desync, UI, Rune skill only and microtransaction shot with global chat just ruin game for me. I rather buy for full game.

This is a raid endgame dungeon for 4-8 players?

I remember entered in one with mele skeleton knight necromancer but was oneshot buy common creep.

Not that I know of, no. The best non-stat-boosting orbs I've seen were ones that swap elemental damage or remove shields entirely for something else. It's been a while so if anybody plays PoE today feel free to correct me.

i have a pretty big monitor, D2 at 800x600 is fucking tiny. Hurts my eyes to play.

I'm fairly content with Grim Dawn atm though so its not a big deal.

If you don't like the gameplay, you don't like the gameplay. Graphics have literally nothing to do with gameplay.

I still play Fischer-Random chess. Even if I go blind I can still play and it's a fun game.

Wasn't aware that the mod had improved (drastically?) over the years. I mean, it was REALLY fucking bad when I tried it and it had been out and praised for a long time by then too.

get on with the times grampa

I asked in a previous thread then didn't do because I got distracted by STALKER. Where can I grab the game and how do I get it running?

git gud at chess, kiddo

Get out of here, Stalker.
And lurk more.

It'll happen. Even on normal difficulty they're intended for level 50-80 with good gear. You can definitely solo all of them, though most are probably much easier with two people.

It changed pretty significantly between 2008-2011 and at the start of 2012. And then changed again with Ultimative, although a number of people still seem to be playing 2012 (and I can see why).

I'm not moving anywhere. I bet you like the Monolith faggot.

>Damage from Vines grove to 60k-80k bleed damage per sec with increased duration and damage around 22 sec from The Gutripper 2-hand range riffle.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Yes.

There's a fanmod using the StarCraftII engine

Looks weird. SC2 engine? Really?

That just looks fucking awful.

So how shit is it?
I couldn't make it through the trailer.

Is Guided Arrow still a viable skill without the pierce glitch? I'd like to use it, but probably not if it's not feasable to beat the game with on Hell.

Are there any ARPG with fully automatic guns? I want to do something other than the tired swords/bows/stave shit.

That's not true anymore. You can actually buy most of the skills, thank fucking god.

Guided arrow is always worth it.

that doesn't sound very good

Such a good mod. Also fuck barrels.

dis shyt ryt ch'yea playa

da end game dungeon in TL1 is balla af, still debatin whether or not a niqqa shoul retire his character n start a new mug deez days.

Ah, practising your Welsh, I see.

What? Why? It's much better than shitty drop rates and they are dirt cheap.

Shiiiieeeeeet

Its better but its still shit

Graal Online still exists? Fuck, I remember playing it ages ago with a shitty connection and way too much lag.

It's fucked because Blizzard kept fucking with the game to stop people from finding efficient builds that weren't gear-centric.

If you want to play LoD, you have to play it base without any patches.

How are the difficulties in that? Do they make any sense or just bigger health bars?

Here you go.
nexusmods.com/grimdawn/mods/3/?

what he meant to say was that you can buy the skill gems for ingame money. not for real money.
actualy i dont think poe has any pay to win elements at all. the only usefull thing you can buy are extra stash tabs. everything else is purely cosmetic.

>ARPGs still don't give you unlimited stash storage

my guess is that selling stash tabs is where most of their money comes from. you dont have to, but almost everyone who plays for a while buys them just for conveniance.

I'm almost afraid to open it.

well that was disappointing

I've kept my eyes peeled the entire game for other shrines like that, and the only other one I saw was in the cellars under Burrwitch
What does it mean?

here are secret road quest about witch gods and this altars

What the fuck are you talking about?
Seriously, I'm having trouble understanding your post. I already know about the Hidden Path.

There are secret side quests about the Witch gods and their altars, like this one

Translator's note: I'm guessing

My greatest problem with the genre.

Where's the sense in being a lootfest that doesn't let the player hoard their booty?

As a Diablo clone, Grim Dawn did the right thing by throwing away the tedious scroll bullshit, but I REALLY wish they also did something about the limited stash, as well.

I'm quite sure The Forgotten God has nothing to do with the Witch Gods.

I always figured it had something to do with Empyron or Ch'thon, but that's almost entirely speculation. Another thing I noticed is that the avatar of Mogdrogen implies that Uroboruuk may not even be real, but how can that even be a little bit true with all the stories we've heard about him?

I agree. RPGs that let you hoard should let you hoard forever. It just needs to stay organized.

where can i find a place with alot of weapon racks?
im trying to get a highland blade for a second kingslayer on single player

(noice)
I don't think it is.

The skill placement bugs me. Instead of dumping points into the elemental resistance auras, I would dump them into the defiance aura to get a sweet defense bonus

The basics for a smiter is getting some basic stuff

Your skills will get you max shield block and very good defense. If you have good resistances the game should be easy. If you get dracul's grasp, you will be unstoppable.

They should've hired the user that makes threads with Dark Souls styled item descriptions

Is it even properly documented how those things drop items? Apparently they're really strange.

diabloii.net/forums/threads/item-generation-from-racks.788376/

Assuming it's based on the alvl, try the Forgotten Tower (75-79 on Hell). Those crypt areas usually have a distinctive "dogleg hallway with armor and weapon rack" in them. The bottom floor has a couple of racks in the side rooms and also the Countess to beat up for runes. Lower Kurast is another area to try with lots of racks but I can't find the alvl. On Nightmare that area is also a good place to find skiller charms.

Sweet, I'll name her "Aimbot" or something like that.

Seconding that Defiance is a better idea for a melee class. Whether you actually need the +maxresist% from aura points also depends on your equipment (hi Guardian Angel) and what you intend to fight the most. Lightning is always the most important elemental resist thanks to LE monsters so that should be prioritized over fire and cold.

Oh man, those were great, please tell me there are screencaps/archives of them.

I wanna see those threads too

Empyrion and Ch'thon aren't exactly "Forgotten".

And Uroboruuk has more than stories to him, his legacy is all over the place.
I can only think that Mogdrogen is nuts.

Yeah right. lvl77 item in shit drop class with a

My bad, user, I don't mean the real Empyrion, I mean whatever the fuck Kymon's got locked up in his basement.
And yeah, Moggy's gotta be full of shit, right?

>there are still people who haven't gotten plugY for D2 and enjoy functionally infinite personal and shared stashtabs.

Thing is, D2s initial small stash was by design. It put more emphasis on the survival and rogue aspects of the game.

It was never ment as an item hoarder in the first place. It became one as the game grew older and bigger.

That's still no excuse for games coming out today where I'm getting epics and legendaries every 20 minutes and I run out of space by level 40. I know it's autistic, but it saves a ton of time when making new characters and builds, and sometimes I like to sit and look at my vast treasure collection and plot a fun character for a while.

Yeah no I totally agree. Its especially harsh in GrimDawn since collectables drop around every third corner.

I also play D2 with plugy, if I ever boot it up. Its a bliss.

Its missing a few QOL features like shift clicking to move items between inventory or stash.

I like POE's general UI and doing things feels like it compliments the game

Shift for item moving ? Are you some kind of a slut? Things have to go neatly and flush in their set order, in their dedicated invent block.

I have 0-10 for crafting materials, 11-20 for Jewelery/Runes, 21-30 Charms, 31-100 for normals in each item class and quality, 101-200 for socks all in superior condition, etc.

It was because of server space. The stash size was increased in LoD, and they were going to increase it again in a later patch but it didn't happen.

Play Din's Curse to see in what direction hack 'n slashes should've went.

No it wasnt. Increasing stash size wasnt planned on the LoD update, it was put in because of a rioting community.

Path of Exile is pretty fun.
You don't even need the ladder, just play it and enjoy it tbh.

But you HAVE to google a build before hand and copy it

Yeah, no. The average character file size on my server is ~3k.

Sign of a shit game tbh fam

Why would I want to do that?

I like big stash & I cannot lie

I started playing it a few days ago. Path of Exile is to Diablo 2 what Diablo 2 is to Gone Home. The interactions between stats and effects are much more sophisticated.

Fuck figuring that out by trial and error or spending days researching the mechanics before even playing. I'm fine using someone else's build to learn why things that work work.

what did he mean by this?

What's a Convicter specifically? I'll assume Conviction aura (duh) with holy shock/frost/fire aura items (expensive).

It's only fair, the original Diablo II one is tiny.

You lying asshole!

Nox.

Where are you pulling this number from? A poverty hdin can hit 10k per from synergy alone without class charms and the bare minimum of +skills.

Guided arrow is shit. Use strafe.

Are you serious? Great for gg/brushing, great for ubers, decent to amazing for pvp and can even bot Baal runs.
Vengeance is dogshit. If you're going to go full retard, you might as well go Auradin. unless that's what you mean by Convicters. even then they're piss unless you know how to aurastack after patch

ITT: people who don't know what the fuck they're talking about especially that faggot that recommended getting totem of all things on baba, because he's never heard of DR, resists, or mercenaries. Might as well max potion find.

Come now, even those lousy "up-to-date" strategy guides tossed in with boxed 1.12x copies of the game don't go that far.

I want something a bit more varied than that and don't really feel like using the elemental arrows. If it completes Nightmare I'll be satisfied.

rate

lods a skeles

This is what we have to expect now that lowtax bought halfchan, isn't it?

Oh shit, I didn't notice that. I just got it off google, man.

This is sped up, right?

Let me guess, you never leveled up a Barb untwinked or without leeching it up, am I right? Grim Totem is one of the better CC skills in D2 and it works perfectly fine as a one point wonder. I bet you think Taunt and Battle Cry are shitty skills and that Attract is a hot waste of points. Game starts at lvl 1, not at lvl 90 when you're decked out by having done Baal runs for hundreds of hours on your MF Sorc in order to feed your Barb gear so he can kill a single normal mob in less than 30 seconds in Hell.

Let me guess, you never leveled up a Paladin untwinked or without leeching it up, am I right? Vengeance is one of the easiest builds for a Paladin to go with since it has no weaknesses other than being a melee build with low life leeching potential (which can be fixed with Life Tap charges). I bet you think Sanctuary is a useless gimmick skill.

Judging from your post, you're the type of player who thinks Diablo 2 is a fun game but all you do is rush a character to A5, leech in the first area of A5 until you can leech Baal runs and leech off of Baal runs until you're high enough lvl to start rushing and leeching through NM. Rinse and repeat till you're through NM and Hell. After that you just leech your way to 85-90 and just go play with your cookie cutter build, which involves holding down right click and killing everything instantly because you're using duped gear.

Your type is attracted to ARPGs. I've seen thousands of you over the years and you're all exactly the same. I won't claim to understand why your type likes to cheat and shortcut their way through games and then bore themselves to death by 1 shotting stuff; wouldn't just having a redbutton.exe that pops up a "You win!" every time you click the button be just as satisfying to you? Well whatever, just don't shit up discussions when you don't even play the game and have little to no experience to back up your bullshit.

Best use of chans is to talk shit to idiots while waiting out queues or downloads/installs to finish.

Nothing inherently wrong with twinking. A lot of builds - if not most of them post 1.10 - don't work without some amount of twinking. The problem is when you forget that there's more to Diablo 2 than endlessly farming for the next legendary by doing back to back Baal runs with bots. The problem is also when you read a guide that ignores all the amazing utility skills available to a class in favor of min-maxing for pure damage. That's like making a Sorc without Teleport because "you can just use Enigma" or making a Necro without Attract "because it takes too many skill points".

I'm playing Grim Dawn

How does it compare to D2/PoE?

Well, D2 was my first ARPG, and… I never got into it. Sorry. I don't remember exactly how far I got, but I remember my necromancer got fucked by beetles in the desert or something. It's too similar to roguelikes for me, what with the item identification and randomly generated maps, and I enjoy roguelikes, so I guess it just wasn't my style. I put more time into Titan Quest than D2.

I wasn't a fan of PoE, and it's one of the few ARPGs I've actually played regularly with another person, which is the way you're supposed to play the game, from what I understand. We'd go and kill shit until either I couldn't tank enough or he couldn't do enough damage, and then we'd go grind for a while to get enough shit for him to pawn off so we could get the gear we needed to not slam our dicks into a wall. But that was about 3 years ago, and I imagine stuff has changed since then. I remember trying a Templar and… I think the Assassin? Some emo faggot. They were alright, but I never found PoE's abilities to be as WOW EXCITING as people make it out to be.

So, given that GD's shaping up to be the first game where I maxed a character out through every difficulty, I guess I'd say it's my favorite.
A lot of your character's power comes from their items, that's true. The game also has optimization issues, especially towards the late game. But, I dunno, I feel like a walking blender of bones and blood with all the crazy shit I've lined up to make this guy. I like the setting, the lore and stuff is solid and sets the tone well. Progression feels pretty nice.
First time I beat it, I had a level 55 Trickster and quit, and I've seen some other people do that, so maybe progression isn't as nice as I think. It has factions, which are nice and really can help finalize a character, but they don't offer as much as they should for such a big mechanic.

Jeez, I didn't expect to write out this much. I guess I have autism. Have a nice picture to look at while you read this.

That's what happens when you mixmax so hard you break the game. That high level of busted is usually only reserved for the more popular builds anyways.

Not for me but POE and Grimdawn are great games so I'm just happy with what I got.

One at a time if need be. His getup looks whack but he has made it that far so I'm sure he can manage. I've also just remade games during scenarios like that too though.

Also yee fuck bots. N N N N N N N

Agreed.

But good ol experimentation and theorycraftingbuilds along with some trial and error are core parts of the fun of these games. And still it's not like the games hard I beat it my second run on hardcoremerciless. Merciless being where the game finally starts getting good.

I don't even know if they exist, sorry.

I actually traded for some draculs for my kick + traps assassin. It made the game fun as fuck

Isn't there a mod that just boosts rune drop rate? I just want to play comfy with my characters with Plugy

I get this problem too, I just turn off explorer.exe when I play and it works fine at higher resolutions.

The only one I've tried is Sebish's mod, but that one was full retard.
>runes are common and practically tied to the area you're in, A3 Hell drops around Ohm for example. The Countess is stupid, dropping several around Hel on Normal difficulty, and several around Cham on Hell.
About the only hard things to get are good magical/rare items and set/uniques unavailable through gambling.

Might be fun if you want to see what an über build looks like, or want to try the Pandemonium Event in SP.

I love how much of a smug asshole Mogdrogen is when he kills you and you talk to him again. He wiped his ass with my destroyed body the first time I tried to fight him so its kind of understandable.

Sign of a complex game, user.

Seriously, on normal/veteren loggy is easy as shit, and then on elite his fight actually feels like a perfect balance between kiting his moves and mobs while still being able to put up a good fight.

BUT THEN YOU FIGHT HIM ON ULTIMATE MODE AND EVERYTHING GOES TO SHIT BECAUSE YOUR PETS KEEP DYING OR THEY REFUSE TO ATTACK ANYTHING OTHER THAN TENTACLES

Feels good to finally do it though.

your only supposed to put enough points in strength for equipment, same for dex or for max block, base energy then dump everything else into vitality

Nope, that's the speed the mod runs at. Actually it was slower than I thought it'd be because the diminishing returns on faster run/walk are harsh, so every endgame character ends up close to that speed without trying. Until you get oskill teleport but that's REALLY endgame

I haven't actually beaten D2 from scratch. I was thinking Necro or Assassin.

Everything in vitality? Never thought of trying that. Is that for every class or just necro?

They're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat.

Enough strength for equipment then the rest in vitality.

Re-read his post. Strength and Dexterity to meet item requirements, and everything else in Vitality. And yes, you pretty much follow that for every character with a few exceptions, notably Sorceress builds that use Energy Shield, about the only build you'd ever add to Energy. Also some nutty Bowazons trade off vitality for dex (extra bow damage).

As for whether to go for 75% block, it depends on whether you can get a decent shield, and also what class you're using. Necros in particular get a pathetic amount of life per point in Vitality so they're usually better off with blocking and +life items.

How to kill him? This is even possible?

That other video was shitty and outdated.
Anyway, tons of lightning resist, lots of DoT, and lots of leeching.

that looks absolutely mental
I don't know if I'll be able to beat this guy with the way my build is going:
grimcalc.com/build/bj7B20N

Yeah, you're gonna have a bad time. Ditch the raven and pick up the hellhound if you want to use pets.

His healing HAS been lousy since the start…

It will stay lousy. I assume there are ways to make the raven useful, but I don't know them and I haven't seen them.

Because at that point not only does anyone give a fuck about their character being OP they actively want it.

Also:

I wish more games took this approach
at least for late game+++

Too bad, everything is supposed to be as weak and visually uninteresting as possible, because we don't actually want our players to enjoy the game, now would we?

I've been getting my ass kicked pretty hard lately.
I don't want to do this.
But I love the way it looks on the inside. Kinda like Devil's Daggers.

You're a fucking champ

No problem, I found it while looking for a way to play the game in a pseudo-OTS manner. It's not perfect, but it's pretty bearable in interiors. Obviously you can change whatever angle you want, but still.

I didn't know they released GD on mobile.

You've got a purdy mouth, buoy.

No, I had pet attack binded but they still kept trying to attack tentacles. I think there was just so much shit in his arena that my pet's pathfinding got messed up.

Elite mode loggy definitely doesn't feel hard, it feels like what normal/veteran should have been. I beat him on my first try although I admit I almost died a couple of times.

HOLY FUCK

Not sure what to think of median. A lot different views, is it worth playing or should I just stick with vanilla?

You might as well try it and see if it's to your taste or not. I haven't played vanilla in years, not since stuff like this is possible.

That's wrong, actually.
If she has -50% fire resist, fire will deal +100% damage (twice as much, or 200% fire damage total).

Illidan?

That does not sound right.

That's not how it works you fucking retard. Resist penalties and bonuses are additive.
-1% resist is 1% more damage taken from that source. -50% is 50% extra.
Are you saying 50% fire resist means you take 100% less? Go back to school.

How do i beat diablo as a necromant?

Summon Resist, you may have to run somewhere and get more skeletons.
If poison build then poison dagger and kite
If bone build then bone prison and spear
A merc with loads of resists helps.

I guess that golem is not gonna work?
Last time i tried diablo just one hit killed my golem

If you mean Clay Golem, that's not for damage. It's because he's got "hit slows target" one of the most broken mods. If you want an idea of how strong, I once had a Holy Freeze Paladin wearing Cleglaw's gloves, and was shooting Diablo down with a bow while he moved at several frames per second, it was pathetic.

Its like the whole fight with Duriel in reverse

Clay golem is some of the best single target crowd control in the game like the other user said. Slows Target by X is an amazing mod. I'd keep clay golem for bosses and fire golem for trash mobs. Most builds don't dump a lot of points into golem because golems are low dps. You're better off with max skeletons, max mages and max mastery with only a handful of points in other shit. You don't really need more than 1 point in revive unless you don't plan to get a ton of +1 skills, and most curses only need 1 point.

I meant to say +skills* not +1. And there is zero reason not to stack +skills.

No, never. Fuck you. It's best to just add the mods one by one by yourself and if you want even more, to make a bundle yourself.

There's a fucklot of good mods on the steamworkshop and they don't work with Synergies neither Synergies have good shit either, it's a bundle of a lot of shit together and just a few useful.

Anyways Torchlight 2 is in my opinion the best Diablo 2 after Diablo 2.

Oh and don't forget Decrepify either! Its power is perfectly clear when fighting those Doom Knights, or Baal. Abuse it.

Build goes Conviction + Vengeance + Smite → Beast(Fana max) & Exile

Wouldnt work with FanaMerc because you need all ias you can get for last framebreak.

Max aura stag already happened so go crazy with the merc. Convicters do everything a smiter does just 10 times faster at 10 times the price. Also Convicters still have high dmg output with Vengeance in games with more than 2 people in them, but repairing that Beast is a bitch.

Mages are shit unless you have an InfiMerc. They dia like flys and deliver no dmg. Also they clogg up your teleport.

Summoners are at their strongest with 16pets max so they dont stack tight after appearing and teleport is one of the three main spells - CE, dec and teleport.

Just max everything skell without the mages and max corpse explosion. The rest dump it into clay golem and revive for when shit hits the fan and youre not at high end gear. Especially if your not rich and cannot afford the infi - go with an Obediance. Together, the merc and your pets will drop 100k dmg in a single blow after teleport and dec.

Also depending on your gear you should max dec, maybe. You will have points over so its a luxury you can easily afford. Summoners are cheap skillwise, just insanely expensive equip if you want high dmg.

Mages have range, they're useful on a lot of shit just because they draw attention. Besides, the points don't go anywhere else.
Don't do these.

Sure buddy.

Plz stop posting.

Youre such a pro

Yep, you're stupid.
+skill is easy to get on wands, amulets and cheap runewords
40 revives is overkill
Doesn't happen even with max clay.
I bet you put beast on your fucking merc too.

I shouldn't attempt to math after a sleepless night I guess.

These things come without charges as well you dunce.
40 revives is easily doable on low cost builds which focus on that. I have only 1 on revive as well but thinking about soloing till hellbaal I definetly prefer revive over fucking mages. The only work with infi period. And even then theyre frickle as fuck and dont make things go die faster in any way. 16 warriors, golem and merc, I do ubers with that easily. Mages never survived more than a second, revives in ubers are vital on the other hand.

And yeah golem doenst freeze, thats true. You can make this happen via the merc though. I get enemies down to 12% movement rate but Im not sure which items on the merc grants that. I think obediance does slow 30%. Infi as well ?

Havent booted up bnet in a long time now.

How do you set up a functional bnet replacement server in the current year? Some files have changed and I can't get it to work again. The documentation is as scarce as ever.

do you know of any still existing private server anyways ? Id play if its 1.13

I want to set one up for Holla Forums if I can get this shit to work again, I don't know of any good private servers right now so I'd like to fill the gap.

thats bullshit. the real fun is taking a completely retarded idea and making it work as a build.
my active cast desecrated ground + detonate dead totem was surprisingly effective for example and scaled realy well during endgame.

all I could do is google it myself which you probably are doing right now, anyways

I'm going to try this whole arduous process again over the course of this day, I have all the files needed it's just down to assembling the puzzle in the right order. I'll let you fags know if I'm successful.

Its a nice day outside so I decided to stay in front of the computer all day. God speed user

Having the same problem as before and I can't remember for the life of me how to fix it.
pastebin.com/ZhXXzaTL send help

extreme-gamerz.org/diablo2/viewdiablo2/serverhosting extremely valuable instructions I'm using

I have never done this before, Im sorry but Im no use to you.

I've done everything I can, my only option is to warmly wait for that one user who claims to have a working server to come back.

bump, /r/ing tech support

whatup man, i have an older pvpgn and d2gs working on a slackware VM. in the last week I've discovered updated versions of pvpgn AND d2gs here:

pvpgn.pro/

I can't tell from your pastebin what went wrong, but let's start with the basic order I start up the daemons:

1) bnetd
2) d2cs
3) d2dbs
4) d2gs

I run all of these in linux so I'm not 100% sure how to configure the stuff in Windows, but I can try to help. For example, all my daemon config files are located in /usr/local/etc and are named stuff like bnetd.conf, d2cs.conf, etc. You need to make sure your Realm is properly named, IPs are properly set, yadda yadda.

I'll be on later this evening if you want to try to coordinate some "tech support" heh

Posting my custom startup/shutdown scripts.

start_d2.sh
#!/usr/bin/bashif [ ! -e ~/bnetd.pid ]; then echo 'Starting bnetd' sudo /usr/local/sbin/bnetd & sleep 3 pid=`pgrep bnetd` if echo $pid | egrep -q '^[0-9]+$'; then echo $pid > ~/bnetd.pid else echo 'Failed' fielse pid=$( ~/d2cs.pid else echo 'Failed' fielse pid=$( ~/d2dbs.pid else echo 'Failed' fielse pid=$( ~/d2gs.pid else echo 'Failed' fielse pid=$(&1else rm ~/bnetd.pid > /dev/null 2>&1 echo 'bnetd not running';fi;# Kill d2csif [ -e ~/d2cs.pid ]; then pid=$( /dev/null 2>&1else rm ~/d2cs.pid > /dev/null 2>&1 echo 'd2cs not running';fi;# Kill d2dbsif [ -e ~/d2dbs.pid ]; then pid=$( /dev/null 2>&1else rm ~/d2dbs.pid > /dev/null 2>&1 echo 'd2dbs not running';fi;# Kill D2GSif [ -e ~/d2gs.pid ]; then pid=$( /dev/null 2>&1else rm ~/d2gs.pid > /dev/null 2>&1 echo 'D2GS.exe not running';fi;echo 'Done.'

For the curious, my diablo2 user is in the wheel group and sudoers have no password to run elevated. The basic daemons need to run as root (possibly not true, but for me they've never stayed running unless started as by root).

The game server daemon I'm using is the Windows binary so I run that in WINE at regular user level (because WINE should never be run by root). I also had to apply a modified version of this patch to WINE 1.6.2's sock.c to get networking to actually work:

bugs.winehq.org/attachment.cgi?id=8866&action=diff

Hopefully running this under actual Windows "just works".

There is now the option to play without desync by turning on lockstep. The UI, gems and stashes are still the same, except that stashes are now even more OP with shit like currency stashes.

Also
Global chat is for shitposting fam, what else would it be there for?

From what I've read you still die / get placed in Legacy if you are playing in HC.

I still am monitoring this thread. Keep it up, guys.

I guess I'll try the latest pvpgn build and see if that works. I can tell you that to the best of my knowledge everything is set up correctly. I did this before and repeated all the steps. The order we start things up is the same. Here's hoping I can get it to work because I really just want to play again.

Going through the game again with a full summoning necro. Only going through maps while looking for dropping items is fun, and since I'm on PlugY, I'm gonna grab some uniques to stash them for other characters.

First target is Normal Mephisto, so I can have some decent base ones, but between this and Hell Baal, which ones should I aim for uniques and sets stocking ?

Man this fucking sucks, I can't even connect to the server on open bnet. Only telnet works and I don't know the default user/password so I can't log in. No clue what's wrong either.

Ok let's focus on one daemon at a time then. Can you post a pastebin of your bnetd.conf and the log of bnetd start up / fail?

For the record, there seem to be no errors with pvpgn/bnetd, d2dbs, or d2gs. All the relevant ports are forwarded and services have been started when I try to run everything.

pastebin.com/4HEeB4Cd

It doesn't save you from dying while waiting for the game to get you to leave the area. If you get killed miliseconds before the you move into the next area then the game disconnects and gives you a message that reassures you that you fucked up and that your character is gone for good. And yeah, HC will send you to standard if you die but that is only if you die. The difference in this case is that lockstep makes sure you don't get the bullshit you had previously with predictive where you die because the server decided you were in a completely different place half-way across the map and thus got swarmed by mobs you didn't see clientside until it was too late, you can still take predictive though if your connection is so absolutely garbage that you can't do lockstep.

The log is in the first pastebin for d2dbs, d2cs, and pvpgn by the way.

The only without-charges teleport item is Enigma, what the hell are you talking about?

The thing I hated the most about all three games is that rather than focus on a good game, or work together, all three games made sure that their big push was "HAS PEOPLE WHO WORKED ON DIABLO 2 WORKING ON IT!"

So fucking what? You think I'm going to just believe that a game is automatically the real Diablo 3 because some guy who did some art for Diablo 2 worked on it?

What ports do the server use? It's possible they're using ones under 1024 which are restricted. There should be no reason why they need to be run as root.

The only real difference I see between my config and your config is that I'm not using mysql for storage, i'm using this one:

storage_path = file:mode=plain

maybe your mysql install is b0rked, but can you show me the bnetd log too pls?

6112-6114 and I agree there should be no reason to run as root, but I setup this VM specifically to host Diablo 2 so I don't care too much since it works. If I ever had to set it up on a shared server I'd probably use chroot or migrate to a FreeBSD jail.

That's a lot of words for "they are too lazy to rewrite the engine to fix the inherent design flaw, and the work-around is fucking horsehit."

another thought occured to me that you might want to check on: is your Windows firewall allowing traffic to the daemons either by application or the specific ports?

There's nothing in the bnetd log you haven't seen in the first pastebin I provided. And to answer your second question, they are allowed by both.

going to bed, maybe kek will save me in my sleep

Bumping for answers.

Ahh shit I see it now man my bad. I was scanning for bnetd but it's pvpgn.exe! So I see one error there:

check your mysql server is actually running, please post your realm.conf

thread archive:
archive.is/7gHmb

I think I'll write up a new how-to on setting up private d2 server with pvpgn and d2gs. I'll start from scratch in a new VM first to see if WINE every fixed the bug in sock.c after 6 years… I also think I have an old Windows Vista key somewhere so I can try to include Windows instructions as well.

Causal detected, what you HAVE to do is spend at least an hour planning out your build before you start playing. Builds are 90% of the fun in the game and anyone that just copypastes a cookie cutter build is a retarded faggot that doesn't know how to have fun.

what makes it really good is builds that require multiple non-passive skills, including those you can't get from your skill tree. beating up hordes with spamming AoE attacks looks easier than actually it is, since D2 engine is just not up for challenge, extreme micromanagement of skill binding and items is required

Except you need to know what works and what doesn't, which means you'll waste a huge amount of time creating shitty non working abortions.
Good for you that you have played 500 hours of PoE and know it inside out while knowing the economy and how to be a filthy kike, but for anyone new, there is no use in spending a hundred hours to figure out what other people figured out years ago.
It seems to be always the same with you PoEfags.

I almost agree with you because it takes a while to see if your build is shit, but trial and error is part of the olden ways of vidya.

A learning curve is fine, but I think you underestimate how much initial time investment PoE requires.
I don't want to get stuck on one game for the next year, I want to play more games so I have a fallback if one starts to bore me. ARPGs in general tend to have really rough "getting bored"-stage because they usually require you to invest more time than other genres of gaming, but Path of Exile really takes the price. You look at 200+ hours of having achieved nothing and feel like shit.

An overused strawman. What, are you going to call me entitled next?

No; casual.
And if you feel bored and unachieved after playing a game for 200+ hours - why are you still playing it? The only thing you're wasting is your own time.

You're a casual user but tbh PoE is a bit grindy
But generally all online F2P games are

Diablo 2

very

Back to frontpage with you.

In the hopes someone gets the server running.

mysql is running properly, otherwise there would be errors spit out by pvpgn.exe

realm.conf: pastebin.com/czREi17J

sorry m80 the bump limit is 300 on 8/v/

Glad you guys are still workin on it tho

I will get this to work again, mark my fucking words. I'll probably make a new thread when this one hits page 15.

ok, it might not be this simple… but your short-name for the realm might be too long. Here's what mine looks like:
################################################################################## realm.list - List of Diablo II Realms ##-------------------------------------------------------------------------------## ## Realms are areas that hold closed characters and games. ## Users are given this list of realms to choose from when ## creating a new character. Next time the character is ## used, they will automatically join the same realm. ## ## The realm server runs on port 6113 by default. ## If you do not specify a port number, it will use this by default. ## ## : the realm name (mandatory; must start and end with " ) ## : the realm description (optional; must start and end with " )## ip:port - actual ip the d2cs server is running on (mandatory) ## ## --- realm name --- --- description --- --- real address --- ## (mandatory) (optional) (mandatory) ##-------------------------------------------------------------------------------## "" [""] ## ################################################################################### WARNING!! DO NOT USE "127.0.0.1" or "localhost" FOR ANY IP ADDRESS# example (having a d2cs server running on IP 1.2.3.4):#"D2CS" "PvPGN Closed Realm" 1.2.3.4:6113"HELL" "Fuck the Dumb" 10.0.0.187:6113

So then "HELL" matches my d2cs.conf line:
realmname = "HELL"

if this goes through we're at 309 posts, and again here's the archive link for the next thread should we max out

archive.is/7gHmb

with as much experience as I have with mysql/mariadb i would remain skeptical about 3rd party's ability to log/report db errors. even if you manually created the database "pvpgn" and granted appropriate privileges to "memer" i would trust mysql/mariadb logs over pvpgn's. have you doubled checked the sql logs?

When it can't properly connect to the mysql db pvpgn tells me. I think I figured out the problem. Every time pvpgn tries to connect with the character server the connection is killed. I'm not sure how to fix this.

Try making the subtle changes i mentioned here

(oops polite bump)

I already did

i'm running out of ideas so this one might be grasping at straws here… did you edit and merge the supplied d2gs.reg to point to the correct IP:PORT for both d2cs and d2dbs?

this registry is also where you set the server MOTD, and admin password you were wondering about eariler so maybe you skipped this crucial step?

oh and also looking through that again I seem to remember might want to set EnableNTMode to 0 (has something to do with running as a Windows background service iirc).

no, it was set correctly a long time ago

I feel like I'm one of the few out there who can't stand playing D2. Not that it's bad, it's actually fantastic, but I just don't find it as entertaining as offshoot games like GD or PoE. PoE had the stupid huge passive tree that allowed for a massive variety of builds and a merchant system I thought was kind of neat, GD had the whole scarcity theme going on as well as a ton of classes depending on how you mixed and matched. Diablo just feels lacking. I mean I know it's cause it came first and set the standard but I just cannot stick with it seeing as I have other options. Is there any way to immerse myself in D2 or should I just stick to playing GD since it's almost exactly what I'm looking for? Also are there any good gun based builds in GD or maybe a DoT build that doesn't melt everything with the up front damage alone?

I feel like PoE and GD aren't real ARPGs. They are more like a grindan-sandbox. In otherwords, the point of playing Diablo 1 & 2 is make your character awesome enough to wade through Hell, and to me it seems the point of PoE and GD is to fucking around with builds until you are worn out and quit playing.

There is absolute certainty no one will be playing PoE and GD in 15 years.

Sep 28 11:09:54 [info ] on_bnetd_authreq: received bnetd sessionnum 80
Sep 28 11:09:54 [info ] on_bnetd_authreply: authed by bnetd
Sep 28 11:10:01 [info ] d2cs_conn_destroy: [392] closed connection 6 (0 left)

JUST

i'm at my wits end here on this one, and i don't want to be that guy… guh-newb linucks hurr hurr

i'll try to get this going in a Windows VM here… and see if i have the same issues using the newest pvpgn and d2gs binaries

I'm using pvpgn 1.8.5 and d2gs 1.13c. I think I'm going to try another build as well.

To be totally honest I have no problem with that. I enjoy variety and seeing what kind of dumb shit I can do with builds. I also kind of like autistic grindan shit because it's a great distraction while handling other things. I feel like if they tried GD could have a bit more longevity. 5 dollar DLC for literal arena mode isn't doing them favors, though. PoE being always online ensures a short lifespan however. Diablo 2 is the kind of game I could watch in a stream for a good few hours but every time I try playing myself I get tired of it in a day. At least I have a substitute for it, D3 is garbage.

i'm going with the PvPGN 1.99.7.1-PRO for Windows 32bit using the plain file (will grab the mysql binary too just in case) found here:
github.com/pvpgn/pvpgn-server/releases

and the D2GS binary for 1.13d found here:
pvpgn.pro/download/d2gs/

I'll report back after lunch

going to try the magic pvpgn builder after I install the 8gbs of visual studio required to use it

Hey at least VS is free now!

Seems to be working but I'll find out for sure when I have d2gs rebuilt.

i just finished activating and updating my Windows VM (fuck that telemetry and Win10 updater removal process).

getting on transferring the D2 assets now, and then i'll try to quickly setup the pre-compiled pvpgn 1.99.7.1-PRO

okay well everything seems to be working now except for the fact that I can't connect to the server at all

on a side note I can access the game server via telnet now, just not by connecting with diablo 2 itself

did you remember to run the gateway editor and change East or West (i just changed whatever was the default one) to your bnetd IP?

I wish that were the case. The gateway has been correctly set for about 6 months now.

Hmm. I think it's bnetd that you're connecting to using telnet. IIRC d2cs is the character server, d2dbs is the ladder server, and d2gs is the game server.

if you're still using the startup order I use check the d2gs.log to see if it's actually connecting to d2cs.

Everything is connecting to eachother, I was reaching the d2gs with telnet, but now it only seems to want to connect to bnetd for some reason even though I haven't changed anything.

Holy fuck this is pissing me off. I'm using the latest software correctly as far as I can tell, although there's no documentation again. wew Why isn't it just fucking working?

Up and running PvPGN Bnetd 1.99.7.1-PRO (plain file storage mode) and D2GS 1.13d.

One small bug I noticed that when I made the first character on the new server it error'd saying Realm unavailable or some shit. New character creation worked on second try no problems.

I'll update in a minute with screenshots of the daemons running in the VM.

Something else is b0rked in my Windows VM. I can create accounts/characters, but I can't create a game successfully. Just gives "Failed to connect". Possibly Windows firewall bullshit so I'm checking into that now.

What are bumplimit now? 400?

This is most pleasing progress, Im proud of you, server user !

TADOW

Fuck Windows firewall.

great, so how do I get it to work on windows server 2008 r2

Could some kind user pls post me the "Ebola-chan walks the Earth!" pic? The one that makes reference to Jews (stone of jordan)…

You da man, user.

Thumbs up mang.

This post will serve as sort of a rough draft for a future thoroughly detailed how-to. Basic steps are as follows:

1) Drop D2GS into your Diablo 2 install directory.

2) Extract the PvPGN daemons to their own directory.

3) Edit the IP address/port in PvPGN's main config files:
- pvpgn_path/conf/bnetd.conf
- pvpgn_path/conf/d2cs.conf
- pvpgn_path/conf/d2dbs.conf
- pvpgn_path/conf/realm.conf

4) Merge the D2GS's .reg file for your appropriate Windows archetecture (this applies to both WINE or Windows).

5) Regedit D2GS's settings to change the IPs/ports for d2cs, d2dbs, MOTD, etc. (may be able to do these edits before the merge?)

5a) If running in Windows create an advanced firewall rule to allow TCP ports 6112-6114, and 4000 (note: I also had to click allow when UAC popped up warning about the firewall). Seems redundant, and I will test if I can delete the UAC application specific rules.

6) Start the daemons in the following order:
From PvPGN directory
-a) bnetd (pvpgn.exe, and allow through firewall if asked 1st run)
-b) d2cs (d2cs.exe, also allow through firewall 1st run)
-c) d2dbs (d2dbs.exe)
From Diablo 2 asset directory
-d) d2gs (D2GS.exe, again allow through firewall 1st run)

7) Run the Bnet gateway editor, click the Diablo tab, select which gateway to edit and change the IP to the D2GS daemon's IP.

8) Export the registry settings with the new gateway settings, and merge the .reg file.

9) Load Diablo 2 and pray to Baal the shit Just Works[TM]

Optional
10) pic related

Make a new thread with exactly this.

I might not have time until later this week to clean it up. I'd like to add screen shots of each step, and seperate the Linux/Windows steps more explicitly since the firewall shit in Windows is funky.

For now I'll back out of the thread and drop one final archive link. I honestly have no idea what the new post limit is, and I'd like to keep the entire thread as is for reference / posterity.

archive.is/VevR7

So basically what your saying to do is extreme-gamerz.org/diablo2/viewdiablo2/serverhosting

fug I thought there was a magical step to make everything work, guess I'll never ever be able to host my own server again.

I will gas you, and then myself.

sorry that was mean.

if I were you I would delete all of the Windows firewall application rules for pvpgn, d2cs, d2gs, and any advanced ones you made for the TCP ports. then restart the entire setup from scratch.

I've done this at least 4 times now, I just want to die.

What's the difference?

You're a faggot, and I am not.

Seriously nigger fuck off and make a Grim Turd thread. You're shilling is old and bad and you should feel bad.

Wow, man, way to give me a useless answer. You're a real champ.
How about you fucking make me, faggot? We can jump straight to the baseless namecalling and shitflinging if you're so opposed to a conversation.

22 posts ITT and this is what you had to say on Diablo 2 in exactly one post:

You got caught, and now you're going to post smug animu? Was that a part of your plan? Reported for violating rule 8.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm genuinely curious, man, tell me the difference between making your character awesome enough to wade through Hell and making your character awesome enough to wade through Ultimate. You seem to think I'm way more hostile than I actually am, so take the time to reconsider my post when you respond.
I've got thousands of reaction images, you shouldn't take offense at them.

So I did what Holla Forums said and dumped everything into vitality with my new character. Now shit is retardedly easy. Think this guy will survive Duriel? He's a hardcore character.

Assuming you aren't level 14 when you fight duriel, yeah.

If you're going to try and low-level kill Duriel the first time as a Paladin you might want some life-steal. Holy Freeze can slow Duriel a bit too.

I'm going to do act 2 all the way through. I'm going the route of elemental damage, with some points into zeal and sacrifice as a fallback for enemies with resistances. I just sort of stood there and watched Andariel burn.

zeal and some socketed life-steal should send Duriel to the grave. still, if you try at lowish level at least drop a TP as soon as you enter