Post_modernism

Why in vidya post modernism is treated as shit but in literature it is literally the best thing to happen to that art form since the Greeks tragedies and epic poems ??
I don't understand how post modernism can be good in one art form and bad in another

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_pain
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

fix'd that for ya

Post-modernism in medium without any fundamental standards.

Maybe it isn't in either.

Because literature is overrun by social marxist cunts and SJWs who consider critical analysis as the be-all end-all form of analysis, which doesn't apply to games.

I still don't exactly understand what post modernism is.

Read catch 22 and infinite jest fag

(Checked)
Nice meme

MGS is postmodernist to the core. Or maybe it's just incredibly stupid.

bet u still ain't read none of em pimp'n. honestly tho a nycka think the divine comedy belong on there tbh.

The "post modernist movement" came about as a result of the relativists. Relativism is an ideology in opposition to traditional absolutism. Basically its a deconstruction of the human condition until you're left with everything having no inherent meaning

Basically post modernism is a cancer hell bent on destroying western society, a product of Marxist useful idiots and agents of ideological subversion.

Or maybe you're looking for the definition of the post-modern era

There are 2 different definitions as to when the post-modern era began

1.) When we first developed and deployed the nuclear bomb in the 1940s

2.) When the World Wide Web became widely available in the mid to late 1990s

Because literature is controlled by kikes and autofellating pseudo-intellectuals, whereas vidya ultimately follows the tastes of regular Joes that don't give a good goddamn about your pretentious ideological sycophantism.

Can you explain more indepth? Especially about the whole mid-90's internet, I love hearing more about the whole Eternal September incident.

Because kikes aren't as heavily invested in vidya as they are literature, academia, and the arts.

Because subjectivist litcrit crap is incompatible with rules based mediums such as the simplest of vidoegames.

This too.

Don't listen to these undereducated americans.

Modern age began in the 16th century and ended with WW2.

So everything that changed or created in culture(art, architecture, etc.) since WW2 is post-modern.

What the fuck even is post modernism?

it's summed up as "normalfags invade the internet" though the 2007 eternal September was far worse

post-modernism is fucking shit that, fortunately, remains read mostly by pretentious hipsters and self-fellating (((critics))). Most of the 'normal' books that come out now (and are read by autists and normalfags alike) adhere to realism (of course, most of them are fucking faggots that never read a textbook on writing in their entire life, and only write realism because most of the books they read were written in that style). For a good textbook on literary style, I recommend The Elements of Style by William Strunk Jr. and Elwyn Brooks White.

Why is it always Western civilization everybody's after?
Why never Eastern society, like Japan or China?

That's pretty much it.

We call that insanity.

Because Holla Forums is always right.

Japanese society is an extremely strict clone of the west, and China is a fucking pile of shit that's probably inferior even to Arabs

Japanese society is essentially an entirely different beast compared to the west, making it much harder for people to approach and alter.

years of isolationism have generated a set of deep-seated cultural and social customs that are almost entirely impossible to change or shape from the outside.

Modern and post-modern anything is shit. Not ground meat or chocolate.

Man vs. society can be breddy gud, famalam

At least you discredit yourself by using niggerspeak so I don't have to.

You and the art belong in the trash.

I meant modern literature.
Like 1984.

You know, the context that OP set.

I'm even more confused

That defeats the purpose of postmodernism, but modernist views and postmodernist views are irreconcilable. Sometimes our hard work pays off, other times magnificent accidents happen.

I do strongly consider this, the big appeal to postmodernism is "fuck it, everything is art," which is why it's no surprise it's a big winner with the "trophies for participation generation." Structure is rules, and rules compromise postmodernism. Postmodernism is "that kid" who tries to one-up you with a black hole in rock paper scissors.

be honest, you guys don't know what those terms mean, do you?

kek, this.

The cry of every modern or post-modern "artist".

Before you try and explain what it is, just know that everyone can copy+paste from Wikipedia too.

See, this is the problem with artistic terms - something like "modernism" or "post-modernism" can mean radically different things depending on the medium.

post-modernist architecture is completely different to post-modernist film, for example.

You end up with people who think modernism is terrible because the first thing that comes to mind is Jackson Pollock's shit on a canvas, and someone else who thinks it's the bee's knees because their interpretation of Modernism is Kafka or Akutagawa.

who would want to live like a bunch of soulless ants?

"Let me write some disgusting shit that makes no sense whatsoever!"

Are you fucking serious? I dare you to try and show me "post modern" "art" that is anywhere near the greek tragedies or even "good"

Isn't most post modernism literal bitching and self victimization anyways?

Out of interest, which of the epics and tragedies do you prefer?

Mine is "user gets diagnosed with autism"

Don't even fucking lie. That is what you mean. This is the internet, your retarded bullshit is being used by millions of people at the same time as you. Nobody is fooled by you trying to phrase it as an innocuous question.

i thought we already had a stanley parable thread

Whoa buddy, that's quite an overreaction.

Knowing what someone likes goes a long way towards making decent recommendations for them.

Thanks for proving me right.

Would you agree, though, that knowing what someone likes is useful when making recommendations?

I would agree that your desperate pacifistic attempts to discredit the person you are talking to at any given time is pathetic and not worthy of given serious replies. Either address the posts you are given without these hidden agendas that are far too obvious to the most casual observer or fuck off. there is the post. Get to it.

Postmodernism is what comes after modern age, which implies that there is nothing new in it, as everything that was to be invented in regards to culture has been already invented in the eras preceding it. So what postmodernism does is regurgitate pre-existing products of culture and mixing them together or showing them in a different light than they are shown traditionally. Applying relativism, if you will. Technially speaking, everything meta, including parody, is postmodern.
It's really a mixed bag, it does a good job pointing out certain faults the entire humanity is guilty of. For example, The Witcher (the novels at least) is a postmodern work of art that takes fables and popular legends and twists them in a certain way that says "this is what would really happen if [fantastic thing] existed" to demonstrate how people like to be naive.
People tend to bash postmodernism for its relativism and I see where they're coming from, since most of the time relativism is just a fallacy. It's easily used in a way akin to sophistry to fool someone into believing the most outlandish theories.

You know, I don't really like having postmodernism being bashed on because it gave us the marvels of Spaggetti western, still I hate it when some hipster faggots use it for their own political gains.

Modernism and postmodernism are never good.

I had some hope Holla Forums
had

And here we see the actual purpose of the thread. To set up another boogeyman.

Because it's harder to pull an emperor's new clothes trick on a medium or genre something with clearly defined rules and systems.
That's why almost all postmodern forays into vidya generally involve trying to break it down into the same sort of mush of subjectivity and nihilism that they have with other forms of art.

You are definitely to cool to be surround by such a bunch of reactionary plebs.
I'd recommend you leave immediately.

Not a boogeyman building thread at all

Only MGS2, MGS:R and possibility MGS:TPP

The phantom pain of lost limb can be reference of the fan base reaction to the cut content
If that is truth then kojima is a living god tbh

But you forget that it is a walking sim a genre that a lot of fags here don't consider to be vidya
that doesn't happen much in literature

can you leave us to talk about vidya ?
plz ? for once ? i mean this is Holla Forums for god sake just this one time let us speak about vidya plz

ASIA FOR THE ASIANS, AFRICA FOR THE AFRICANS, WHITE COUNTRIES FOR EVERYBODY!

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY white country and ONLY into white countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY white country and ONLY white countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the Final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the white race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-white.

Here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_pain
Kojima can be the only post modern dev in this industry

Leave that is enough for one day

The systematic interactivity of the medium is a golden opportunity to play with in a post modern fashion i mean the dev can play with player as much as the player playing with the dev a relationship stronger than what novels can offer

Sorry lad i have no other place

Postmodernism is fucking cancer. Literally Marxism. This is coming from an English major. I just wrote a paper on that garbage and it was basically commies get the fuck out.

Evola is poshlost trash.

Do you even know where you are? How fucking new are you?

Fight me right now.

Postmodernism in video games would be anything that plays with the expectation of a "game," has any characters attempting to break the rules of said game, or self-aware protagonists bordering on deconstruction or parody. Arguments can be made for the following being postmodern video games

I'm sure there's more postmodern elements in popular or well liked video games.

I'm pretty sure that none of that is explicitly correlated to Postmodernism and you could find it far earlier.For example, Boccaccio's Decameron has all of that

Isn't Drakengard the pure essence of postmodernism?

No it's a modernist game about the bleakness of war and the terrible nature of mankind, modernism is born of the horrors of world war 1 and 2, the only example of a fully functioning post-modern game is Metal Gear Solid 2, everything from it's publicity to the finer point of the story is a self-aware commentary of the inherent fucked-upness of the vidya industry, it's desire for stagnation, remakes and sequels, as well as obsession with escapism.

Wait, no, you are wrong. Modernism was born before the second world war, and it was the optimistic view of the future and the human development. It was about the human progress and how bright the future was. Post-modernism was born after the second world war, a great sense of depression and despair as human kind could create such horror. There was a jew faggot I don't remember his name who said that after the second world war "there shouldn't be any more poems or songs because there is nothing to celebrate".

Or that's what I remember it was taught me in sociology in college.

Except modernism (at least in architecture) is about elevating humanity to a higher state. The International Style was focused on 3 core elements
By this standard, a modernist video game would have a minimalist plot and presentation, be heavily optimized on a technical level, and full realization of game mechanics bordering on required exploitation of player capabilities. Possible arguments would be

Nobody does, because it's all relative. =^)

Actually, now that I think about it Dwarf Fortress may be the most "modern" video game on the market.

Presenting architecture as representative of any movement is kind of a cheat. They're always going to be far more rooted by the need for pragmatism, because at the end of the day, the building still has to get built and serve a function.

Fuck off, pinko.

Philosophical Modernism is roughly 1890 to 1950, with 90% of it's corpus being in the in between war, what you're talking about is closer to Modernity in Sociology, more precisely you're talking about Classical Modernity which is 1780 to 1900

Well let me add on that because it's sadly not that simple.
The biggest problem about post-modernism is the same as the society that gave birth to it (our current society). It doesn't define itself by what it is but by what it isn't. If you look at romanticism it comes with a general sense of form as well as a theme, all stories that were written as part of the romanticism movement have roughly the same stories, with the same theme and the same endings : mankind's pursuit of an unattainable ideal that gets confronted hard by reality, the legitimacy of your emotions and beliefs despite everything. From there the protagonist either compromise with reality and come to see beauty in imperfection and get an happy ending, or they don't and end up alone, although compromise as an happy ending only appeared in late Romanticism.

But you don't have any of that with Post-Modernism, post-modernism say fuck all of your constructs, forms and accepted themes, Post-Modernism is arguably everything that rejects forms and common logic to impose it own self-defined logic : A story where the characters are aware they're in a story, a game that knows it's a game, a set of pronouns that miss the point of standardized language entirely by giving everyone their own little retarded pronouns. Post-Modernism isn't something, it just what isn't made up of norms, forms and standards, so by definition you can have two example of a post-modernist text that are complete anti-thesis, or two post-modernist buildings that have a completely different Form-Function ratio.

The biggest problem we have is that Humanities have a tendency to be populated by retards who seeks scientific credibility despite their chosen domain being by essence impossible to standardize, human being individuals despite the claims of many a Marxist and Fascist we all behave differently and think differently, sure we have a lot in common but no one is the same, we all have a degree of agency that means that our choices are always our owns, so to keep pretending they matter they start naming stuff and making broad definitions about stuff and then you end up in our situation, I was talking about Modernism, the philosophical movement, you're talking about the Architectural and Aesthetics movement, and that other user was talking about the Sociological period. All of them share very little in terms of ideals and ideas yet are all named the same due to happening in different part of society at roughly the same time.

Then again everything I said should be taken with a large grain of salt, first of all I'm from Western Europe so my interpretation of Post-Modernism and romanticism will be fundamentally different than the one of a Russian or US citizen due to our cultures having large differences, and secondly we can talk all we want about post-modernism but until the movement start disappearing or be replaced we hardly have the perceptive necessary to judge the period and movement as a whole.
Plus I'm not a formal student of either philosophy or sociology let alone literature.

wew lad

So from this we can summarize:
Holla Forums talks about post modernism in a negative light (thus he baited with post modernism)
OP came here to make a Holla Forums boogeyman

Because of strong empathy. Strong empathy is both a great strength and great weakness for Western Civilization. A great strength because it helps white people not nig on each other long enough to build stable and prosperous communities. A great weakness because that same empathy, during times of peace, makes whites very susceptible to emotional manipulation and the override of logic. The weakness is what relativists/Communists/SJW's/etc. take advantage of. It's why there are so many white people who seriously believe things like flinging their doors open to foreign brown hordes is a good idea, among other WTF ideas.

Nice work nigger.

Nice.

I'm not seeing where this meme's going, Holla Forums.

ITT butt hurt liberal arts students Try to justify them self's and there degree.

Faggot.

There's empathy and then there's mental illness. Leftists are mentally ill.

Why would I sage when I'm getting off too all this butthurt.

meant for

Because we had our fun and OP is a fag

out of place elements and self aware protagonists are post modern elements thats right but they are not used to comment on the medium

If you want to talk politics go here
>>>Holla Forums
This is a video game board you are in the wrong board

What about No More Heroes? Travis Touchdown is a malicious reflection of the Otaku stereotype. His "work" as an assassin is shown to be more of a hobby than am actual career to the point where he takes part time jobs to fund it. His some motivation is to be "the best" going so far as to neglect his friends and family. He even lives alone in a run down motel with his cat and spends any spare cash he has on anime merch and wrestling videos.

It's not so much a statement about the medium as people who follow it, but I think it still counts

Yeah he was a living satire and annoying on purpose not because it was his actual character to be annoying but he was simply emulating the superheros that he is a big fan of
Just like the player

Or maybe just maybe because it is westerns that came up with both modernism and postmodernism ?????
Holla Forums you went full retarded this time

Is Infinite jest any good or it is just another lit meme ??

ignore the fanbase and the memes, it is super good, you will love it trust me

Is this site is broken today or this thread is in some kind of shadow block ?
I posted 2 posts and it didn't update to the first page whatsoever
If it was shadow blocked i will be very sad tbh ;_;

How the fuck would a Post-modern video game even work?

Which probably means that your professor (in name only, I'd imagine) will make every attempt to fail you on purpose. I'll say a prayer.

Same way a postmodern book (Catch-22, Slaughter-House Five), a postmodern movie (Blade Runner, Taxi Driver), or a postmodern building (Portland Building, One Detroit Center) works. Playing with the very concept of what classifies a work of art while still being a successful work in and of itself.

This is why we need to exterminate the art students. Art with a purpose is the only art that fucking matters.