Make series with a dedicated fanbase

Why does this keep happening?

On a side note how come casuals like Dark Souls for being hard but hate every other hard game like pic related?

Because Dark Souls gives them elite gamer virtue signalling points.

Casuals have only one slot for challenging games and it's occupied by dark souls, which is very dramatic about its difficulty. Ninja gaiden just pushes your shit in without artifice.

Dark Souls is a different kind of hard than Ninja Gaiden was, Dark Souls you get through either by having good reflexes and intuition, decent reflexes and trial and error, or bad reflexes and grinding. Ninja Gaiden if your execution and reflexes aren't up to snuff you ain't making progress ever, you can't grind to get around a fight you can't beat and you can't make up for mediocre skills by just trying different things one at a time.

dark souls ain't that hard even, its just very punishing if you die. meanwhile ninja gaiden is if I remember correctly not that punishing agains't you but very hard to get through.

gwyndolin best girl.

This meme needs to die

because in every dark souls you can just summon five friends and make the game ten times easier?

Pretty much. Souls games aren't that hard unless you restrict yourself a lot. They got a reputation since they are harder than the average AAA game, but they are nothing compared to games that are actually challenging.

That's where they fucked up. Instead of actually killing the fun, they could have just had a "cinematic" mode that subtle called you a pussy the whole way through. Then when you get to the end, they show a final boss who just falls over and points you to treasure chest. It's a gold katana that kills everyone, (unless you beat the game normally, previously, in which you just get a panty sword or some shit) but it only works like the normal dragon sword during normal difficulty. The idea is to continually take the piss out of a casual and basically expose him as being a shit player without him knowing about it unless he picked up on the fact that the game has been continually mocking him. In fact, the entire story should change into something extremely simplistic and for children as an insult to the player.

Being good as something doesn't make it easy.

swf related

Stream appeal. Really. The success of games have been heavily affected by how streamable it is. Dark Souls hard is something that can be easily beaten with grinding.

Being bad at a game doesn't make it hard

You're right about that. That doesn't mean Ninja Gaiden isn't hard.

Ninja Gaiden 3 was basically someone at Tecmo going "hey, kids like God of War 3, let's make our game like God of War" but without actually doing any sort of research on why people actually like the fucking GoW games.

They tried with Razors Edge but the shit design was to ingrained into NG3.

Because Dark Souls isn't really THAT hard. I seriously stopped playing NG2 on hard in that small room where you fight the spider boss and the explodoing ninjas, because I couldn't figure out a way to wrangle the camera to survive. Hell, Dark Souls also lets to wander to different areas if you get stuck, for the most part. If you can't beat a part in NG, your only option is to git gud.

I picked up NG3RE because some fucks said "it fixed all the problems!". It was a pile of shit. I think I sold it, or threw it away. Eitherway, I'm glad it's out of my fucking house. The retarded QTE climbing thing, the brain dead, no fun bosses, etc. it was a complete downgrade from 2.

Two reasons, most likely: A notion that they can replace the current fanbase with a larger one to give them more shekels if they make something with mainstream appeal, and a refusal to admit they fucked up and go back to the drawing board if the new entry flops. Probably much easier to just sweep a franchise under the rug and sit on the rights.

In most cases this presents a catch 22 of sorts for fans of a series, in that if a new entry aimed away from the prior fans succeeds, they can generally just expect more games pandering to the new fanbase, and if it flops, the series become dormant or outright dies off.

Execs trying to perform safe bets, not realizing that this isn't like the movies and you gotta get lucky if you wanna capitalize on the casual market
Their marketing department and the various streamers for the game memed it as "As hard as Dark Souls", many normalfags bought into the hype and bought it since they have no defined taste but what their mainstream friends tell them to buy

Most people play Dark Souls just for bragging rights because people know it for being "le difficult no casuals game" thanks to American marketing.
This kind of faggots are the first ones to quit actually good games were you have to get good to progress instead of farming EXP or getting a broken weapon to the point of making the game trivial ( just like the Drake Sword, or that dual blade from DS2 )

Because Dark Souls isn't actually hard

CoD was just starting when Ninja Gaiden for the original XB came out and it certainly wasn't as big of a phenomena as it is today, if anything Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 were the big shit back then. Secondly are you implying that the games are of poor quality? NG3 i understand but Black and II are fucking amazing and challenging games. And third, if the series died if anything it was due to poor marketing and some of the best games being stranded on microsoft consoles when M$ clearly didn't care about promoting the games AND Ninja Gaiden 3 being shit, even if Razor's Edge fixed some of the issues the damage to the franchisr was done.
Also did you seriously expected them not to change or modernize the series for a reboot? The modern games would have been completely ignored or even bashed by the media (which is terrible for a company that wants to make you know, profit) for keeping "outdated" mechanics or 2D gameplay, that seems like an autistic complaint of yours more than anything.

This is Holla Forums dude, a board full of sad faggots that want every single franchise they grew up with to remain exactly as it was when they where kids.

Read the rest of the OP, nigga. He only posted NG because he wanted to know why casuals hate it but love Dark Souls.

I feel stupid now, OP is a faggot anyways for writing such a misleading post.

I was talking about NG3 user.

Maybe there was something wrong with my setup, but Dark Souls seemed harder than necessary due to input lag and poorly telegraphed attacks. Older 2D action games would give short but very obvious telegraphs, so that even a first time player could clear most sections on the first try if he had good reflexes. Whereas enemies in Dark Souls had fucking bizarrely unintuitive animations, combined with lengthy input lag that required you to dodge or parry well in advance of the already unintuitive inflection point. Requiring the player to die repeatedly in order to learn a pattern, while better than modern chickenshit game design, is much less fun than the old staple of patterns that were obvious from the get-go but difficult enough to perform that you would die a few times before you could execute them properly.

Maybe my brain is fucked. I'm good at FPS and decent at 2D shooters, but Dark Souls I never truly got comfortable with.

As for OP's question, I haven't played the later Ninja Gaiden games, but I imagine it follows the Japanese 2D action game pattern of fast reflexes and rote memorization. As ironically worse at Dark Souls than I am at faster-paced 2D action, I can see how that gameplay style could be more rewarding to normalfags. Memorizing the exact moment to smash that motherfucking roll or parry button is easier than the more continuous and active control that 2D games require. Add meme status and PvP and you have something with much greater mass market appeal.

My question is, why haven't more devs copied the Souls formula? Megabucks are to be had for the first indie faggot to make a somewhat competent 3D clone.

There's also the problem with fucked up hitboxes.

Tried to dodge, couldn't do it.

Team Ninja is shit and I hate them a lot. I hate them because they always get away with selling low quality hack and slash games.

They suck and their animators suck and their writers suck and their programmers suck and their shaders suck and their mechanics suck and they suck.

Fuck you Inafune.

Then why do people act like beating DaS is an accomplishment if it has fucked hitboxes?

Because like 95% of the hitboxes in the game are perfectly fine. Doesn't excuse the fucked up ones, but people blow their presence way out of proportion.

It's easier to cheat in Dark Souls.