Minecraft

Would minecraft be a good game again if the userbase died out?

It seems like the only thing keeping me from playing it is the obnoxious kids and server owners, but I still like the game and it has a lot of potential to grow.

Other urls found in this thread:

dd-wrt.com/site/index
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Your post would be valid if it wasn't owned by Microsoft at this point.

What's stopping you from propping up your own server?

Did they at least make it run gud?

Play solo you cur.

maybe if it really was 3d dorf fort it might be good. I like it anyway though just because I love mining and digging tunnels like an autist.

speaking of tunnels where the AoS server at?

hahahaha no
you can't make java good

it's all about that minetest now, op

If you rolled it back to before the bloat sure. Minecraft is a great example of why more =/= better.

iz jus lyk dis fam u got da base game w/ basic gatherin buildin n explorin n shit monica but unless u rly wanna get fo'real w/ da buildin shiz monica u kno n da redstone n w/ not u gon get bored af quik.

dey b a lot of cool stuff n potential w/ servers n mods n sheiet but like u said das da stuff attractin da dum nyckas foreal thooooo

Minecraft could be fantastic if three things happened.

"But user," you say, "Minetest is already that!"
The third point is:

You'll save both Minecraft and Minetest.

I do not understand.

Protip:
Not every server is run by "those" people.

If you have friends, maybe you should just start up a little 3- or 4-man server to play on where you all build your houses and mines in a hub area and then go off exploring together when the timing's right.
Especially with some mods that really encourage group exploration.

That's what me and my buddies did and it's one of my most memorable gaming experiences.

Terraria is 2D.

Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 7

I thought you were just shitposting.
How long has it even been since the first?

Telltale is asscancer. I don't care if they were good back in their Sam and Max days and before, but not only are they shitting out one of the worst games in recent history they're also being praised as the second coming of point and click games. What a joke.

What mods would you recommend?

Oh.. I forgot about this.

No. It's still a piece of shit running Java. I used to get 500+fps on a 560, now I get less than 100fps on a 1080.

It needs some serious work.

see pic.

Solo is so boring though…

Nice quints.

I don't want to spend time browsing through shitty Youtube videos looking for what you are referencing, what happens?

It would be good if the userbase died out and if it went back to beta 1.7.

did they put anything good on it after Notch left?

like anything interesting? or is it same old?

Also, why aren't there more Minecraft clones besides MineTest?

Your internet is just fine for hosting a small Minecraft server, what are you talking about?

You can chose what version of the game you want to run, so that isn't really a problem.

They added shields, wings, and some other combat stuff. They're pretty fun if you have friends

It's really not. The bandwidth allocation is terrible.

if one person watches youtube it sends all the data to their computer and won't let anyone else do anything.
If everyone watches youtube at the same time it loads evenly, at 500 ping.

I know, but that doesnt stop the newer versions from existing.

Anyone?

Honestly, I never played with them. My friends all wanted the vanilla experience and I never bothered to play single player.

Looking through some of them though, I'd say mods that introduce powerful enemies would be good. When monsters are too strong to take on yourself, then it can be a lot of fun to go dungeon crawling as a team.
Then you'll probably need some sort of combat overhaul. Even just a little one will do.
Probably be better to look around yourself, maybe just looking up lists of "Top Ten Best/Most Popular x Mods for Minecraft"

MCMMO is the only mod we ever used, but it was a great one. Little changes here and there but the skinner box of numbers going up really encouraged doing things you might not have otherwise done in the vanilla game.

Do it right now.

No.

What you're saying is that you're not the only person on your local network, I understand.
If it bothers you enough to go to the hassle and have administrative access to your router you could see if you can install custom firmware on it which gives you bandwidth limiting on a client-by-client basis.
dd-wrt.com/site/index
I can't speak for the quality or reliability, but this is what came up in searches when I was in a similar situation.

Unfortunately my router/modem is a proprietary ATT piece of shit. I hate this ISP.

Beta 1.7.3 was the last known good version, it was also the last one, Notch did anything on, before running with the money.
Beta 1.8 made pretty clear that it has gone to shit.
Release 1.9 was another blow making combat fucking slow for tablet and phone fag.
Release 1.10 now even has autojumping enabled by default.

There may be some cause for hope. The playerbase has really started to slow down over the past two years and especially in the past 6 months. They really do seem to be dying out.

And rumor has it that there will be mod API news released during Minecon next week. If true then that's very good news, because as cancerous as the Minekiddies and server owners the worst cancer of Minecraft is the fucking modding community. They aren't just annoying. they're actually nuts.

More could have been better if it had been theright kind of more. You know things like chairs and tables or decorations or maybe adding some variety to the mobs or giving some reason for 40 different biomes to exist and make them go deeper than 5 blocks underground.

I love Terraria but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't like a good version of Minecraft (or a good MC clone).

dude im skeltan by now. there is no mod api
maybe, but they make the game actually worth playing too. i dont have to deal with them when im playing with my lego blocks.

Just play the video game if you like it and stop being a faggot about it.

The pettiness of the average person in the Minecraft modding community is absolutely amazing. I've been forced to work at shitty jobs where the worst kind of useless white trash run the managerial positions. Not even fucking McDonald's tier, but stuff like stadium concession stands. The kind of place where the person in charge of a stand is in their 50s, did nothing with their life, and running the stand is the single largest piece of power they've had in the past three decades of their life.

The pettiness I saw in those awful jobs was no competition for the sheer unrelenting autistic pettiness within the Minecraft modding community. I hope it's all archived somewhere on the internet so future generations can figure out how a group of people can be so miserable.

You do when two of the mods you want to use are mutually incompatible because the creators had a tiff four years ago and one of them added code to intentionally fuck with the other guy's mods.

ive only ever run in to mods going out of their way to fuck with eachother with gregtech.
and maybe better than wolves but thats not a forge mod anyways

If it was up to me, this woulda happened long ago, if it meant minecraft wouldn't be so shitty.

It's still lacking features promised by Notch back in 2009.

i would play minetest, but it lacks monsters, and i have to fuckin download "plugin" in order to have that, in any case its bugged

Nothing. I'm not kidding, nothing of worth happens. It's just mindless walking and talking.

ah, schools out on the east coast i see

What a fine leader you'd make.

fuck

Alright reaper you can get off the internet now

You mean stealing from each other, inserting code to make mods incompatible and/or break cobbled together map packs and the readiness to shiv other modders in the shower over 2$ ad and referral money from some shitty one click hoster isn't normal behaviour in a modding community?

1: Fix the shitty combat.
1.2: implement some sort of redstone wi'fi and add spike blocks.

2: Add interesting mobs.

3: Add a simple crafting system with tons of dress-up stuff with armor/robes variation and some minor effects.

4: Code some NPC behaviors a range of items/skills NPCs may have depending on said behaviors. Ain't that hard. NPCs would be main character-like wearing some randomised equipment based on what they do. You now have guards, archers, nobles peasants, alchemists, traders, farmers, bandits…

5: Add metroidvania-like skills that are HARD AS HELL to obtain.

6: Add some legendary-like hard as hell to craft items/books that add zelda-like items. (bombs, boomerang, grappling hooks, roc feather…)

We're almost done here.

7: Make a GIANT database of buildings players can upload.
Make it so those buildings fit into different categories (Home, Castle, town, random, dungeon)

8: Make it so players can join a world as total plebs, there's a Dungeon Master that handles the level up, controls the mobs, controls the NPCS and their stats/abilities and has plenty of cool powers to make the game interesting for players.

DM can now make mobs with 2x size, who can use a wide range of skills (they will just spam them when AI controlled) and may even take control of the fight to make it more challenging for the players. He can also level the player characters up and make them learn all sort of interesting skills.

You now have a 10/10 dungeon crawler maker with DnD potential.

Optional step: add procedural quests related to bounty hunting, hunting, fishing, building, defending city from invasion, defending NPC from attack, rescuing npcs from dungeons and so on.

Final step: Make a contest so every month or so the best mod is implemented into the game. Make it so modders get nothing but the satisfaction to have their mod in and a pat in the back or in their curriculum.

never gonna happen, better put your hopes onto something else

Its hard to know what day it is when you dont have to know what day you have to go to school.

I've been out of school for 7 years, nigger. It's not that hard to figure out if today is one of two days that schools don't operate on.

jewvidia finally releases cards that aren't overpriced trash and you pick the worst one?

Says you.

so what are some popular mods that do this? is there anything youd be willing to share with the rest of the class? i dont know how you have the will to keep up with such things. i suppose youre simply more in to the modding than i am, perhaps even making your own?
i know the creator of botania wanted to remove a popular setting/play style involving what is called "passive generation", but ended up restoring the setting.
i recall gregtech interfering with other tech mods, or even that one popular advanced redstone mod, redpower2 was it?
lastly, i remember a lot of drama surrounding better than wolves regarding other modders.

neetdom is absolutely my excuse for my poor display.

To give you a microcosm of the shitty community, BTW got into a big fight with every other modder and ultimately said "You either play it with my mods and only my mods, or you can go fuck yourself with a rake"

The guy later moved on to KSP modding where he did exactly the same thing.

Minecraft was never good, unless you count adventure maps.

;_;7

Nope.

Hunger and the goal of killing that dragon on the moon or whatever is what killed the game. I've never played Terraria but I've listened to my friends playing it in voice chat a lot and if you want to fight bosses and look for loot and shit do it there. Minecraft is (was) for building castles and getting comfy. Monsters are only in the game to create a sense of agency by oppression.

never ever

The userbase has nothing to do with the game.

Game is shit because it barely supports modding, there are a number of essential features that were promised but never delivered, and building is the only mechanic that works well.

Also Java is not the right platform for this shit

anyone know any good modpacks? saw an underwater mod which seemeed interesting.

Would reinventing the wheel be good, then?

Same building system and basics but C++ and easy to mod? Provide dev tools and make it as easy to mod as The Elder Scrolls, make some commands, do monthly events so that the 10 best modder made (item/monster/gimmick) will be added and blah blah blah.
I'd buy that shit.

Minecraft is in Java and according to what he just said the modding tools are programmed in .NET, just take that into consideration

You just described minetest for the most part. You don't have to buy it, but without the unwashed masses playing the modding community is much much smaller.

The main thing that minecraft is lacking is content.

With a few exceptions, monsters are the same wherever you go, despite there being interesting biomes.

If you dig down far enough, it looks exactly the same as when you dig down anywhere else, unless you hit a stronghold or something.

There's still only a paltry four ores, one of which is pretty much irrelevant except for decoration and redstone.

The nether is just there, quartz and glowstone aren't needed in the quantities to necessitate mining them. Fortresses are neat and all but the rest of the biome is rather boring for something that's supposed to be hell.

Why do a race of teleporting slendymen have a generic ass dragon as a boss monster? That's boring.

Make biome specific monsters.

Make more underground biomes.

Make diamond able to dig past bedrock where you can find another tier of four ores.

Make another tier of four in the nether.

Make mobs more interesting than click it until it dies.

Have more plants to grow, and more motivation to do more than make a stack of 64 steaks.

The crafting system is cute and all, but scrap it for a base material quantity thing. Having to look up what shape does what is irritating.

Make liquids not stupid.

More lighting options are required, having torches every X blocks EVERYWHERE is ugly and limiting. We get advanced materials, let us build better lights.

Potions aren't worth the effort aside from water breathing for underwater temple raids. The buff effects are laughable already and they keep getting nerfed.

Give builders more options with materials. Oh look, you can construct a chair out of stairs, that's cute. Give us actual furniture. Let us make stairs and slopes and fences out of any block.

Rework villagers entirely, make the process of getting one less fucking cryptic. Make their AI smarter than porridge. Fix how the game recognizes houses and stop every villager from piling into the same one. If we have a well lit, defended village we should be able to be out at night without fear that the game's going to spawn an unpreventable zombie siege in the middle of town.

Minecraft does manage to have a good atmosphere and it's cozy to build in, but if it had even an eighth of the content that Terraria does it'd be a far better game.

ebin

this tbh

sure but how many modders go out of their way to fuck with people?

not to mention how inconvenient it is in the instances where recipes overlap from mods youre playing with.
i dont know why they turned blaze powder into an ingredient to fuel the brew stand, that was the point of the blaze rod. might as well get rid of the blaze rod if that is the case.

Minetest brah

Actually I'd like some mintest devs to see this post.

Why? No amount of in-house content is ever going to satisfy the kind of person that needs somebody else to make their sandbox interesting for them.

i was expecting more proper biomes and even underground biomes (like terraria) and shit for exploring focus

i recall when they reduced the ocean sizes instead of putting shit to do on the oceans

but then again iam just another autistic sperg and cannot go back to MC at this point

you say that but terraria is pretty awesome

This is degenerate thinking.

A sandbox improves with more content, and while a sandbox doesn't come with it's own "win" conditions, there's definite benchmarks (like a layer of bedrock you can actually penetrate with difficult-to-make gear) that add a more definite feel of progress to the game.

More content in a sandbox = good, and while there's no objectively correct set of things to add, this user's list is at the very least an excellent start.

Also that's the whole fucking point of minetest.

you say that, but most of the mods in minecraft just add a bunch of really dumb shit, kind of like his list. And while I'm free to just not install the shit mods, when it's in the base game I'm stuck with it and modding around it after they get bored with baws fites and fuck off to some other game.

I'm having some trouble figuring out your point, user. It just sounds like a modded minecraft clone isn't for you.

Dude, what exactly do you want?

I love minecraft, I'm always down to play it. That tower (A stylized rendition of the Sears Tower) there took over 20,000 blocks of stone brick to build and stretches from bedrock to Y=200. Whenever we start up a world amongst my friends I'm always the last one playing after their interests have gone out.

I enjoy building in it
I enjoy exploration in it

Is it so much to ask to have maybe some more blocks to build with?
Is it so much to ask to not have every ravine look the same?

Even subtle differences can go a long way to increasing longevity and interest, and with how long I've played minecraft everything gets to be a bit samey, you know?

Hell, even just having different colors of vines (or flowering ones) to grow on the side of your house would be lovely.

Maybe I want to have a massive farm system with tomatoes and cucumbers and lettuce and all that? Do I plant 500 wheat and pretend?

Hell, by your logic I may as well just play pretend, since there's no real point to video games so long as you can imagine neat things.

That's because you have brain damage.

More content is not necessarily better, and is in many cases worse, and in no case will it satisfy some fuckwit who cares about boss fights in minecraft.

Are you seriously advocating minecraft's shitty combat and barebones content, user?

I want you to go download mods that have the content you desire, there's no reason for it in the base game.

Leaving the core as barebones as possible and leaving the rest unfinished due to laziness to allow for modification has proven to be incredibly successful at making it what it is.

Wasn't Minecraft for Windows 10 recoded in C?

half the point of these sandbox games in indulging in and having a part in creating an interesting setting.
lets look at strongholds for example, theyre kind of interesting the first time around but literally and figuratively shallow once you get used to them. you arent going to encounter anything new, not even a miniboss. theres no ancient treasure to be found and the scariest things about them is how theyre dark and a creeper might open a hole under you.

even just having a deeper cavern layer could be considered more content, and that would unlock all kinds of potential for interesting worldgen or player made subterranean structures. to build any fascinating underground structures you would need to hollow out a mountain to give more head room or use mods that either raise the ground and sea level or adds an entire dimension dedicated to caves. theres not really any room for anything like this.

all the most interesting structures in minecraft are viewed from above ground. half the name of the game involves underground, but its one of the most ignored aspects of the game.
it seems like to address this they added the nether, but it doesnt scratch that itch.

There are a few broad camps of players. They have each mostly diverged.

They are playing terraria

They are playing factorio or Fortresscraft Evolved if they hate themselves.

I'm not sure if they've split yet

There are remnant populations but the destination of the player base is clear.

But you could already do that right now with mods. What purpose does it serve adding it to the base game so that I have to deal with this boss fight and dank loot fetishism.

I want better 3D building.

Roblox used to be the alternative but in recent years they've made it a massive pain in the ass to build even basic stuff. They almost completely removed all of the in-place building options besides a select few blocks last time I played so the only way to build even basic stuff like a house that looks the way you want and not some Minecraft-looking shit (The blocks are all cubes in the basic builder now and look like they were stolen from some shitty HD texture pack) is by using the clunky ass Studio that takes forever to learn and can crash as fast as Paul Walker. I used to build shit on Roblox for hours and explore the old starter maps because they had so many little secrets

I thought Roblox was just a really expensive lego alternative with robots. When were the games made?

Voilá. Magic and might.

Now add some tag skills you can add to any monster and some dev tool which allows you to change stats and size. There are mods which already do that.

It isn't that hard. Now for legendary items, they added some boots that allow you to walk on water as if it was ice. Add more shit like that and you've got yourself a neat game.

It's a free MMO building game. Been around since 2004-2005, forgot the exact year. You're thinking of that one Lego brand with the robots that the rich "gifted in computers/science" kids bought (AKA Their mom was a school employee).

The problem with Roblox is that even though the ceiling has gotten better and better, the floor has become harder and harder to reach due to Roblox deleting basic tools for no good reason than "We want people to get into scripting" which ironically makes less people script, because the basic building is a stepping stone

actually this gives me ideas for mobs for different biomes

So, grimoire of gaia?

No, I used Mindstorms and NXT in high school, it's different. It's not Roblox though. Have you tried that one MMO where you can build with oblong rectangles?

Isn't that Blockland? It went pay2play and the developers have been dead silent for 3 years afterwards. It's safe to assume that the only thing keeping it alive is the community and even then it's pretty niche so I'm not going to risk $10 on it, at least not when we can't even afford food.

YES.

They're OP only at first. They're easy once you get beefed. I like that some of them have special skills and all. Yuki Onna is waifu material.

the old TheBestGamers review still holds to this day

my main issue with strongholds is that theyre so repetitive and featureless. its a nearly featureless maze where an occasional small library (that doesnt even have a pool of written books to find) is the most exciting thing youll find aside from the end portal.
i dont want to explore it, they dont need one of a kind items to be interesting but it would at least offer some variety.

my point was that the 'earth' is so shallow that youd find it difficult to find or make any large underground things. the caves are tiny. 64 blocks surface to bedrock is kind of restrictive, sure, you could fit a jungle tree underground but you wont have room for a hidden mayan city under that jungle.
half the point of having an underground aspect to a sandbox game is putting things on top of or under things, and scale can be very important.

Have you tried Roguelike Dungeons or Chocolate Quest?

Wasn't a character like that supposed to appear in Minecraft way back when? It would've been way better than the default character models.

But why are mods not sufficiently capable of doing that? What is the purpose of implementing something like that when a person suggesting it doesn't even give a shit about it.

pic not related

Shit's interesting though. I played some maps that used this mod. It definitely made the game more interesting., it even added some sort of rudimentary bosses

yeah theyre fantastic, i love finding the fireworks rooms when i have quiver bow installed.

why are you twisting my words around? if i didnt give a shit about it, i wouldnt want it to be interesting. theres not much reason to poke around in a stronghold, and they arent interesting enough to really appreciate as old ruins

Yes notch hired an artist for a little while. He also made a grey character but notch fired him and removed the mobs

Lycanite's mobs adds a ton of boss monsters to the game.

didnt notch fire him because he worked too slow? as were all aware, minecraft is known for its blazing development speeds

What? I wasn't intending to twist anything, you said you didn't want to explore it.

alright sorry. in the end, i want to want to explore it, and i think with how bland it is that it isnt just me unable to appreciate it.
i dont think this is one of those instances where plainness is the appeal.

It's not that shallow if you use that space properly.

Minecraft is a lot of wasted potential. It started good, but it ended up pretty badly.

Holy shit this is actually pretty good looking.

just expect to tweak some settings unless youre in to random destruction.

I'll use them to edit some map I used to play to make it more challenging and add some bosses, then watch my friends die.

I would proclaim that I have a waifu of superior quality, but I can't decide out of all of them
too bad they all want to kill you

No, it would be a good game if it had been a good game, instead of a directionless clusterfuck of lazy programming.

Rana never ever.

Character models were ok. They just needed better hitboxes and maybe elbows. I mean look at all the shit they could do with the very basics. Shit looks like a simplified tomb raider.

Add stuff like hairs and faces, then add lots of equipment and you've got already a lot of content and lots of materials for the modders to play with,

i wanna hop on her lillypad

It was, it also lacks a modding API and
I'm not sure how it runs though. Microsoft has pretty much done nothing, they're just sitting on the IP.