MUGEN/IKEMEN Thread: IWBTG Edition

MUGEN is a freeware proprietary 2d fighting game engine developed by Elecbyte. The engine is written in C and uses the SDL Library, and stages, characters, screenpacks, life bars, and even engine modifications have been made by the community. Although full games have been made in MUGEN, the engine has been widely used to make one's dream fighting game roster and make cartoons fight anime and shit like that. Most recent version is 1.1b, which adds dynamic stage cameras.
mugenguild.com/forum/topics/download-mugen-latest-release-1-1-official-release-8613-105841.0.html

There are thousands of guides on the internet on how to manually add characters, stages, and screenpacks (drag character folders into 'chars' folder, stage files into 'stages' folder ,screenpack files/folder into 'data' folder, etc.; then edit select.def), but if you want it to be done a bit easier, then use Vselect:
tunglashor.webnode.com/products/vselect/

Although base MUGEN does not have online multiplayer, a fork of MUGEN called IKEMEN has implemented online multiplayer. (Both players have to have the same IKEMEN full game for online to work properly)
osdn.jp/users/supersuehiro/pf/ikemen/wiki/FrontPage (engine)
mugenguild.com/forum/topics/how-to-ikemen-series-171303.0.html (IKEMEN thread)
mugenguild.com/forum/topics/ikemen-disscussion-thread-167617.0.html (IKEMEN discussion)
evolvehq.com/client (Evolve client to make IKEMEN setup easier)

And for those who want to play online, here are some full IKEMEN games:
mugenguild.com/forum/topics/capcom-vs-snk-universe-162179.0.html

mugenguild.com/forum/topics/netmugen-te-revival-mugen-onlineikemen-project-167605.0.html

mugenguild.com/forum/topics/hyper-dbz-majin-ikemen-online-hdbz-171258.0.html

mugenguild.com/forum/topics/touhou-rp-gensokyo-reloaded-091016-update-version-1-27-171500.0.html

Well, you need to know how to code in the C language and use the SDL library to be able to make MUGEN content. However, there is a program called Fighter Factory that makes it easier to create and edit characters, stages, fonts, etc. by providing all the possible tools and functions.
mugenguild.com/forum/topics/fighter-factory-3-0-1-final-137126.0.html

A couple of anons are making a MUGEN roster for an Holla Forums SaltyBet. You can download the most recent version here:
mega.nz/#!H59wnB6L!U5v512z_d1XEDmBy-8VsAxI40HhXqt6kT0r3hKP8Ym8 (previous version)

mega.nz/#!x1sAWSwA!jQUFAbBGf_otvhm_kZAdvQ6XnS6ujcDE41Tj-1df28E (most recent version)

Volafile to upload and share MUGEN content:
volafile.io/r/57oW_1

Other links include:
pastebin.com/5D91040L

pastebin.com/JLv2TDsV

pastebin.com/au1Hk9y3

pastebin.com/y4CNv02w

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/PYdc4
mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/22811-killer-instinct-series/
network.mugenguild.com/guild/mugenwiki_ki.html
mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/23492-nijikaku-虹格-collection/
justnopoint.com/lbends/index.php?location=chars
justnopoint.com/lbends/adamlexus/
serio.piiym.net/cvbla/
mega.nz/#!Hp1TEDBa!LEvPes9xLtJC1TANlfavqgv1dPzkUyPbHYZbm4cgbxY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Saltybet stream

What are some fun chars?

Pretty much any character by 3ha. All of his characters take an established fighting game character and put a twist on it.
archive.is/PYdc4

YUKACHAN is best 2hu

So take character A and give hims some moves from character B?
Rubbish.

Forgot to mention that 3ha's characters also have different modes, so they are basically 2 characters in one.

How easy is MUGEN to get into? I remember trying to do shit with it when I was a retarded middle schooler.

Probably easier with programs like VSelect for building rosters and Fighter Factory 3 for making characters and stages.

Does anybody have the KoF-styled 2hu with actual kof-styled sprites?

And does anybody know actual good KI chars?

I believe you can find KoF 2hu characters here, just scroll down until you see the KoF sprite design:
mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/8257-touhou-project/
As for Killer Instinct, these websites seem to host some good ones:
mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/22811-killer-instinct-series/
network.mugenguild.com/guild/mugenwiki_ki.html

Finally. The other ones were mediocre at best.

wew

That's because GER Giorno is a separate character.

ZUZ

Guess it depends on your definition of "decent".

At least it's not a rip of the battle sprite from the game like almost all Tumblrtale MUGEN characters, so that's one thing positive I could say about it.

*positive thing

bump

warusaki3
Pics related is the closest I have to a creation, I just edited the .sff file for mugen fighting jam screen pack by jesuszilla, also made the stage on the last image, it's just a static background made using the automatic stage creator.

Is there an 8ch screen pack by any chance?
Or 8ch characters? vivian or Holla Forums-tan or any other board tan?

also, results screen

Interesting screenpack, although the white bars in the first image is quite distracting. Have you considered trying to change or edit out the graphics for the white bars? Also, are you considering making more complex stages with shit like animations or parallax?
The closest we have for an imageboard MUGEN is 2chan's Nijikaku.
mugenfreeforall.com/index.php?/topic/23492-nijikaku-虹格-collection/

Yes, but I'll do it some other time when I have an idea of what I'd like to change it into.
Also yes, but I have yet to understand the variable array for animation, I'm still reading on the stage making tutorial.

One would think that MUGEN would be safe from undermeme

A website that I used to download MUGEN characters seems to be down.

Where do I go to download my rapers like Slime & Kuromaru now?

Tiem for great mugen chars?

so is this going to be a stream? that'd be kinda fucking cool.

As far as I know, they're still in the process of building the roster.

Daily reminder that OGGY's creations are fucking broken, and needed a massive overhaul on gameplay.

Exactly.

OGGY is still in the community?

better happen. 8ch tunes and fights.

bump

Sweet.

Why would you think that? Basically every single thing that's been popular on the Internet has been represented in MUGEN in some way, shape, or form. Ponies? Check. Twitch Plays Pokemon? Check. It was only a matter of time. From what I've seen, the characters made thus far are pretty mediocre.

Shit even Harambe has a char and don't get me started on Njijkaku and how 2chan made a cummunity effort fighting game with there memes

That's p good

Besides all that, I need a notebook to make some bullet points to do some overhaul with Ryuko2nd Karin or NESTS Kyo rekka style gameplay is still in my head.

it's like I stumbled into a time machine straight back to 2010

Most of its customization is just dropping shit into a folder and then listing its folder name in a text-file, it's hellishly easy to customize if you piddle around with it for about five minutes.

he probably meant stuff like custom chars/stages/screenpacks/lifebars etc. which is easy if you know programming and graphics. Unfortunately I have the latter but not the former so I can't help you on that

bump

Anything by The_None, especially the ones made as Adamlexus.
justnopoint.com/lbends/index.php?location=chars
justnopoint.com/lbends/adamlexus/

Other than that, I'm impressed that someone was able to implement savestates in a MUGEN character.

I don't get it. Is MUGEN open source or is all you can do is make characters and other things but not make changes to the core engine?

MUGEN is proprietary freeware, but there has been modifications to the engine, such as tag team support through the add004 basic.

So, hypothetically, one wanted to modify it to add in a z-axis to make it play like a beat em up would one be able to do that?

Yes.

bump

You could also just use Beats of Rage as an engine for that.

What would you say are the most impressive games made with the engine? I've played a couple of them and walked away a tad underwhelmed.

Castlevania Fighter
serio.piiym.net/cvbla/

I might assume he fucked off, or too busy brewing up another project that'll fall apart. Or too busy jerking off to his waifubait creations.

There's also cool shit like Interactive MUGEN that gives stages hazards, gimmicks, and context-sensitive effects and events.

The 1990s ended a long time ago gramps, 2D games aside from a few exceptions is dead. Indieshit that is using "retro" artstyles as an excuse to be lazy is dancing on the grave of 2D.

Whatever you say, kiddo.

kill all 2ho

This is why you don't go DBZ.

Beats of Rage and Paintown are better suited for that.

EVERYONE
MUST
DIE

remove toowho

I would remove that too but it doesn't work properly on post-WinMUGENnothing at all to do with it being invincible

behead those who insult edgehog

I guess Shiki couldn't kill Stands after all.

I sense a strong degree of imbalance in that fight though…

Funnily enough when Noroko did the move a second time it worked. pic related.

More sacrifices are required…

anyone know where i can find the newer versoin of babel sword?

i can only find the very old version

bump for help

Never heard of this. What's the update number of the newer version?

I think 1.1

God damn nice

pic related

1/2
Ahh, a worthy opponent!

Found something that calls itself 1.1 on some shady BR site. No idea if it's what you're looking for or not, but it looks different.
mega.nz/#!Hp1TEDBa!LEvPes9xLtJC1TANlfavqgv1dPzkUyPbHYZbm4cgbxY

2/2

oh shit thanks man that it

it's pretty fun. like a bullet hell fighter made with mugen

This one is pretty solid in my opinion

Why are you posting shit videos of invulnerable chars?

And I see some faggot posting with different IP's but constantly posting the same shit char

It's just some guy posting webms of him beating custom 2hus with a joke character.

i hate you mang, that shit was so fucking bizarre

it even had some sort of fatalities

The Black Heart is fun as fuck. A shame the creator hasn't touched MUGEN ever since he released it.
I want to see a remake of Thrill Kill done in this style.