ITT: Games that never got sequels

ITT: Games that never got sequels

Looking back on it, it's a good thing that Deus Ex never got a sequel and its legacy was never tarnished with something silly like universal ammo, a broken engine or consoleitis. I wouldn't want it to have it's memory tarnished with some bad mobile junk or even worse, a prequel or two that completely overwrites the things everyone loved in Deus Ex.

Oh well, I guess some things were just never meant to be.

What are some games you're glad never had their legacy tarnished, Holla Forums?

Despite being a worse game, Invisible War was a direct sequel.

HR was good
Deal with it

Take it elsewhere, there's no such game.

Both HR and MD are ok.
Just ok, not really "good".
MD is from a strict gameplay perspective the best one, but in turn it became much more limited and strict in how you play it.

Ultimately one must look at DE and try to understand what you want out of the series, how much complexity, and -how- that complexity is executed.
RPG or action oriented as the priority?
And how about the political and social commentary, how to execute that?
How to handle dialogues?
How to make every build viable, by tweaking enemies or working the level design around it?

There's a lot of difficult decisions involved in making a DE game and someone, somewhere, is ALWAYS gonna be pissed at the result.

user, I'm sorry to tell you this but…

Half Life 2.

I'm glad Doom never officially went past Doom 2. Final Doom and the Master Levels were neat for being made by people other than id Software, but I'm glad id never went back and tried to make Doom into something it wasn't. Wouldn't it be fucked up if the series tried to become a weird Half-Life+survival horror ripoff?

I'd argue VTM:B was the closest thing to a Deus Ex sequel there's been. Maybe Alpha Protocol.

HR and MD are games made by people who have only ever heard about DX1 second hand. People rave about the ability to be stealthy or non-lethal so these because the focus instead of open-ended gameplay.

And the next thing you're going to say is Deus Ex is only fondly remembered because of nostalgia.

Shame that MGS4 was cancelled in 2007 and the series ended with 3, but then again, it's better for it to go that way instead of degradation.

I'm happy with the fact that Metal Gear Solid never got a sequel. The game wrapped itself up quite nicely, with no loose ends. There is absolutely no reason at all for a sequel, and nowhere to go storywise from this game.

Q. How do they set up Jensen in the beginning?

One thing that was fucked in HR was them dumping you into this weird relationship with queen meggan and leaving you as some beta orbiter.

As long as MD puts me in with no attachments, I'll happily play it, even if the story is weak.

It's kind of a shame that they wouldn't make a sequel to it but since they put "final" in the title, I guess there was really no way around it

Im glad they ended it with C&C3 and didnt raped the whole franchise with a terrible sequel and retarded anti climaxing ending

I'm glad they didn't shit on the franchise and turn it into a yearly cashcow with 6 months of development time from drawing board to release on each game like those battlefield guys

Yeah we really dodged a bullet there

HR's world was retarded.

As sad as I am that it ended on a cliffhanger with the Reapers left undefeated, it's for the best.

Wasn't there a spin-off on the N64? I heard it was okay.

As far as I can recall, they also berate you if you go non-lethal by saying that letting him live would result in more of his hate speech. Some of them end up liking you but most of them still decide to act like cunts.

It was a nice little game, lighthearted and I enjoyed the Disney theme. The story wrapped up fairly well, and I think that if they were to try continue it, it would just feel like bad fanfiction.

that's because metal gear solid WAS a sequel

Of the series? What qualifies as good "gameplay" to you exactly? DX has fine gameplay for an RPG.

It has the most polish, it's the tighest game and has the best player feedback and so on.
However that comes at a price, it focuses you into doing basically just 3 things, tops.
So it has more polish, more feedback, better animations, but in turn it has less freedom.

I tend to be biased towards polish and tightness over anything else as i have an extensive background in reaction based, split second execution action games, where that aspect is absolutely essential and required.

But yes, strictly speaking as something that tries to be an RPG, DE1 is clearly the better game if approached with that mindset.

I could tell, worrying about feedback and animations is definitely an action-orientated mindset.

Can't speak to MD since I haven't bothered picking it up yet, but if the levels are as padded and linear as HR and they give you as many easymode stealth bells and whistles as that game did, I don't care how much polish the game has.

Also i'd like to add that most of the shortcomings of DE1 strictly from a gameplay point of view can be fixed for the most part using the GMDX mod.

So to me, DE1 + GMDX makes for a very tight, very polished experience, the mod "fills in" what DE1 glossed over gameplay wise, i'd definitely pick that as my main way to play the game.

Haven't bothered trying GMDX 8.0 yet, might have to do that soon. I just replayed the series in the past few months anyhow

I cri everi tiem

It's a shame Unreal never got a sequel.

unreal 2 was far better than unreal 1

Hahaha you're a funny.

Is it better to have no sequel, or to be disappointed?

Probably because this game is fucking shit. They might have been able to do something good with the idea if they tried again. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Thank god, it flopped horribly in 1999 selling only 30.000 copies, so the entire genre did go into hibernation and didn't have to go through the console dumb-downing.

It's referring to the constellation, enemy fighter wings were named after various ones like aquarius, saggitarius. You hematoma.

It may as well be better to not have a sequel after all this time. I'm not even sure the current owners of the IP (Nordic Games) have any idea what the original dev team wanted to accomplish

I loved how this game age well with all its vibrant colours and platform mechanic

Figured I'd post these.

What's wrong with Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon?

Daily reminder that gamers are shit: one of the best games of all time flopped commercialy.

Enjoy your Fallout 4 faggots.

you didn't preorder, did you?

No I was talking about Deus Ex.

Look at all the shit that sells millions.

I stopped buying triple A games a few years ago and I feel reborn.

Digimon World 1 was fantastic, I hope they make a sequel someday that shows the results of your actions on the island
and doesn't totally go into some shitty loadscreenfest that takes several minutes a save and has forgettable characters and never gets that magic back again but instead abandons it for le modern anime look

I know you gay

Borderlands was such a fun and unique game it had so much potential and so much room for improvement while also being a solid innovative new style game a nice blend of feature. I cant help but feel maybe not getting a sequels was for the better, I wonder why though. I am just disappointed there are still no games like it. Oh well, it died like the cult classic it was, dignified.
Being a borderlands 1 fan is suffering, kill me.

What about Doom 64? That shit was better than Doom 2 and I'd say rivaled classic Doom. I'd even say it was better than Ultimate Doom's final episode.

..like Doom 3?

So glad the original company that made this game isn't dead in the water and rights to a sequel got sold to a company that doesn't make RTS games

Holy shit what a world that would be

That was one of the only good things about that game, and it would have been right at home in the first game.

Seems the thread to ask, how's Project Snowblind anons?

Doom 3 was a good game with some flaws.
That console remaster (BFG edition) however is pure shit.

I liked Doom 3 actually

Im just reminded of the half-assed gravity gun they had in the expansion

Don't jinx it

It's kinda sad we never got to see any of the other providences after topping off 3 amazing games with this absolute masterpiece.

It's a shame but I'm sure that only Bethesda could expand on the deep RPG mechanics this game had using today's modern technology and graphics. Imagine the dynamic quests and cool combat and awesome AI that you could pull off with today's hardware?

Guess I'll try & post an actual one-off. the game didn't sell as much as expected, so it didn't get a sequel. I have yet to sink my teeth into this game very much, personally.

I know that feel

It's past 2008, when the beta for the sequel was supposed to be released. Must be vaporware now.

Oh well, we've got plenty of stories to play and mountains of content especially with Beyond.
Those 10th anniversary presents and quests were cool.
Wonder if we'll revisit Elona soon

Drakengard

It was a dark somber musou style of game that had this strong isometric kind of feel to the in-game cutscenes that would harken me back to great isometric games on the PC.
It had a lot of multiple endings not really tied to any kind of bullshit morality system.
The weapons would have their own move sets and magic abilities.
You'd kill enemies to upgrade weapons and that would improve or change the magic abilities.
The weapons would change appearance when upgraded and reveal little bits of lore about the weapon or the world with each upgrade.
You can switch between fighting on foot or on a dragon thus mixing up the gameplay fairly well.
Your dragon grows and becomes more powerful creating another nice feeling of progression.
One of the endings is this crazy 2 button game of simon says.
It was just this neat kind of PS2 game I got on a whim.
Made me think that Japan could start making real videogames which was what I thought of Demon's Souls and its spiritual successor Dark Souls, another game that never got any sequels.

Drakengard came out in 2003, so if they ever made any sequels they would have been made with more of an anime aesthetic in regards to the general story, dialog, characters, the whole fucking kit and caboodle.
In the 20-aughts a few specific styles of shitty anime became these big cash cows with the "obsessive fan market" in Japan thus driving convention.
That effected practically all Japanese games turning them into this guttural cornucopia of light novel adaptation flavored sewage that lack anything one could call a compelling story because they aren't just cartoon characters, they are excessively cartoony cartoon characters.
Cringe inducing anime garbage is the only thing a game like Drakengard could become if they made any sequels.

bumping because good post