Physical copies.
Yes / No

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/ay7tM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, if you don't fear disc rot.
No, if you fear disc rot.

I fear disc rot.

Better to have them ripped, with any necessary cracks/patches, on fresher media.

Physical copies for collection sake.
Backups on hdd for use.

Pointless

Since I have lost all hype I don't care about physical copies anymore. I have thrown out the vast majority of my decades old physical collection because it's a waste of space.

inb4 some retard thinks steam in the only way of getting digital copies

Yes but with digital, cracked backups. Preservation is important, especially since most companies are actively working against it.

You should also be storing your backups on a decent filesystem like btrfs/zfs.

The question isn't if it'll fail it's when it'll fail.

So have multiple copies. Storage is cheap and plentiful.

That is true of all backup mediums, if you don't use the HDD much total un-recoverable failure us rare.

Ok, mr. smarty pants, what's a better archiving method?
SSDs?
Memory cards?
Tapes?
Everything degrades.

DVD+R. If you know which one to get it should last you at least one hundred years under the right conditions.

The only actual solution is eternal vigilance. Everything has about the same shelf life of ~10-20 years, you fell for sony marketing lies.

What I think he is getting at is that there is a chance at failure with HDDs, so to minimize the chance of data loss with them you should have multiple backups.

Yes. Only if you'll actually use the fuckers rather than just for windowdressing. Collectorfags that do this are fucking cancer.

Should be backed up though. Discs more so that carts.

Why?

Not who you were asking, but platter drives over anything else:

jvc dvd+r 16x

You are retarded, would you really rather have hundreds of DVDs instead of 2 HDDs? Also if a single DVD fails you lose data but it a single HDD does you lose nothing.

Assuming a similar price point they are always preferable to digital, but Im willing to forego if the price is drastically cheaper elsewhere.

Given a 6tb tape is cheap as fuck, I'd run with tapes.

See, if he had actually mentioned anything like that then sure, I'd give him that.
but he's talking about DVD+R
which is bothersome as all hell when your collection exceeds a couple of terabytes.

I don't think I've seen one outside of a junkyard. And that bitch was the size of a toaster.

It's called redundancy.

Huh? I'm using platter drives as a slang term for a normal spinning HDDs. What are you talking about?

Yes, if they have actual content and not just a steam key on them.
Not downloading shit is worth it

Never heard that term before so I thought you were talking about something else.
Googled it and this image turned up.

If you have a HDD over 1tb that didn't cost $2,000 then you have a platter drive.

So you burn each DVD twice instead of just having 2 HDDs?
You made a retarded post and have been trying to defend it ever since.

the tapes are cheap, but the drives are expensive as fuck, especially if you're going for the current gen ones that hold that much.

The more copies you make the less chance of you losing the data.

Sorry for the confusion. I should've just said HDD. It's late and i'm tired.

Seriously though, HDDs are still the best option for long term backups. Don't even bother with high end enterprise/archive drives because in my line of work i've seen those fail just as much as the cheap consumer shit. Just buy a couple of high cap HDDs, format them as btrfs/zfs (btrfs is more native, so i'd suggest that first), archive your data and scrub the filesystems every now and then. Your data should stay pretty safe.

Don't forget that some games are more than 4 gigs in size.
Like these brand new wonderful games such as GTA V, Max Payne 3, Bioshock Remaster, Mad Max etc !

You are clearly taking hypothetically and have never actually maintained a large CD / DVD collection.
They take a long time to burn, they are slow to read and they have plenty of modes of failure, not to mention that "100 year life" you were talking about relies on being able to get an optical drive 100 years from now.
With HDDs you just upgrade technology as your collection grows. eg. today you might have a 3tb collection on SATA drives but in 5 years that could be a 20tb collection on whatever the next interface is. This way you are never dependent on old technology.

No, I love having a corporate entity constantly be able to dictate where and when I will play my copy of their video game.

Quick search told me 6tb tapes are around $130, but the drives are at least $1,5k.
I've only worked with these things once in my life and that was just being told to replace the tape every could of days at a TV station. I have no idea what kind of filing/formatting system these things use.

Called it.

The best method is to periodically transfer the data over to a new storage medium. Also it helps to save space. What may take up 5 Hard Drives to day, may fit on a single drive in 5 years.

yes

good call

Teah, that drive price tag is the reason they're not very practical, you need to be backing up like 50+ tb of shit before the price is better than hard drives, but they're still way less convenient. And I think blu-rays are starting to beat them on blank media price per byte now too.

**I still kind of want a tape archive for aesthetic reasons though.

The only games I would want physical copies of are the ones in my top 10 favourites of all time, but there are some problems with that.

It's Japanese so I'd be paying $100 even if all I wanted was the box the game comes in.
Same as above.
So old that it's hard to find physical copies of it.
I can't even find a picture of the cover art. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have a physical box. I guess I could settle for the original Crimzon Clover but even that's in the $100 range.
If I bought a physical copy I'd want the collector's edition which would mean looking in the $100 range again.
Jap shit, $100 at least.

I have a physical copy of the MvC3 collector's edition. It's a nice metal case and everything.
I don't particularly like it though, because looking at it reminds me of how Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 came out only nine months after MvC3. Shit was pregnant on release and I felt scammed, actually paying for the collector's edition of a game that would be obsolete in less than a year.

You can make those yourself.

They still make tape drives?

sure, I burn all the shit i pirate onto disks

Usually the way, but it's a decent way to archive, especially when shit's just getting larger and larger, or just wanting to bunker down properly.

Physical if I can. Same with music and books.

I lose my physical copies all the time by placing them in the wrong case.

Yes and No.
Its nice to have the collection, and the backup is pretty good. But I end up avoiding it if the game is on steam. Been burned already by buying a few games that are just a disc with a steam launcher.

No…..

Did people feel this way when the floppy drives were getting phased out?

Depends. Some PS3 games aren't on PSN so I have to order the physical copies online.

I've got pretty much every option covered.

Your license to access their digital content, you mean. You don't own nothing, goyim.

I got a short panic attack thinking about disc rot just now.

If you care that much, arrange an external RAID-6 (HDD array).

Just have your HDD unplugged in a safe place, you only need to turn them on every few months to make sure the rotor dosen't dry out.

YO

As of my first attempt at buying a physical PC game in about 6 years, absolutely fucking yes.

Also, remove third party digital distribution platforms required to play a physical copy of a game. This bullshit needs to end.

No way dude, don't do that, RAID increases the chance of harddrive failure.

Are you trying to ruse him? It's no longer 2003 bucko.

Yeah I sure do love discs

all those scratches are easily repaired, even then are you 8 or a nintendo kid? Nintendo kids always took shit care of their games.

Yes, which is why I said:

Not MY game

I know. Which I why I like to back things up and be DRM free as possible. Just in case my video game library gets shoahed.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. What pisses me off is "physical" PC games just come with a fucking Steam code but they'll sell you the game at 60 dollars even though the costs associated with manufacturing and distribution of physical media are no longer a factor being paid for by such a purchase. Waste of fucking cardboard, you may as well come up with a new games equivalent of PSN cards.

I remember when we all thought going digital would reduce the price of games.

Well it did. I mean yeah there was the occasional $1 clearance game even back then but no where near the level of the $1, $2.50, $5, and $10 games available now.

If there's one thing I learned about disk rot is, don't use jewel cases and avoid overly humid areas.

not the same. Sales are used to trigger the "I NEED this now!" reflex to make you buy games you wouldn't normally buy. (how many people have 100+ steam games they don't play?)

Low prices should be permanent, especially a long time after release. Some of the call of duty games are still going for $60 years after release, you're better off buying a used copy on console. But the jews managed to do it didn't they? The sale for the game at 10-20$ or whatever will make sure that they get your money instead of you buying used, when in reality it should have been that cheap to begin with.

There's a new storage method being developed that's basically like laser-etched glass or crystal. I imagine it's physically fragile, but supposedly the data stored on it can last 13 billion years with no degradation, and a disc the size of a quarter can store 360TB of data.
Supposedly. I don't enjoy hype. I'll believe it when consumer models are available and there's been some practical tests done by people without agendas.

Still a cool tech if it's remotely accurate.
archive.is/ay7tM

Carve the 1s and 0s into a stone tablet and store it in a cave. The sumerians wrote stories about heroes and monsters(which hollywood rips off today) in cuneiform on stone tablets and we can still read them today.

We can do a bit better than banging rocks together.

There's a ton of games permanently priced in the $5-20 range. More than there ever were especially inflation-adjusted, and I'm not just talking about the particularly cheap-quality indie shit either. I can't say that the games are "good" because we all know >modern games, it's just that the low end price has grown substantially.

We use Dell LTO tape drives at work, they last about two years and the mechanism starts to jam up because these drives are cheaply made.

not often for high production games. reminder that Counter-Strike: Source, a 2004 game is more expensive than its sequel CSGO.

We can cum on them.

C'mon, its 2016.

IMO best is just buy a new HDD every now and then and copy all your shit over while the old one's still good.

Yes, because my internet is shit. The modern equivalent of dial-up (4.0mbps DLS - can't download and stream media at the same time). Another reason to not buy Bethesda games, since they only give you like 10GB on the physical disk, and force you to download the rest on Steam.

In general, I'd prefer physical copies, because I like to display them like an autist - and I miss manuals. In practice, I don't really care much. By the time most services go offline and invalidate your purchase, the games are already long cracked and widely available with patches for the newer operating systems.

Always online shit (and DLC to a lesser extent), however, is an unforgivable sin - since that pretty much guarantees that your game is vaporized when official support is dropped unless some nerd sets up and maintains private servers and distributes a patch to mod your game to use it.

as long as they're more than DVD + Steam Key

if game publishers treated physical copies like indie labels treated CD/Cassette/Vinyl releases, I'd be buying shit nonstop

I like physical copies, prefer them most of the time but often that's not even an option anymore. Indie games seldom see a physical release, I was playing Age of Decadence just now, lovely game but there's no chance of ever owning it on disc. Then again even the big releases are basically just a steam key and a drink coaster. The only games I've bought in recent years are the Witcher games, everything else either didn't get a physical edition or were just steam bullshit.

So yes, but good luck finding a physical copy of any recent game that isn't pointless.

4mbps isn't that bad (games on 300kbps used to be great, 1mbps used to be "top end" saliva inducing)

turn on Quality of Service settings in your router, it should help with the multiple connections conflicting.

Game prices have gone down, though. Example: Space Quest III launched in 1989 for $59.99. Adjusted for inflation, that would be roughly $116 in 2016 prices.

Imagine paying $116 for your games. Going by the actual purchasing power of the dollar, that's exactly how much we used to have to pay. That's more than most "Deluxe" + Season Pass packages today.

I prefer physical,
But physical PC games are kill.
Steam killed them.
No, PC gamers didn't stop buying physical, publishers stopped offering real physical copies and started selling one-use Steam keys inside boxes with useless discs.
Most cheapo Steam keys you get from key stores are from "physical copies" BTW.

The price drop was before the transition to digital copies though. PS2 games released for 50, which is 60 is current year bucks.

No, the developers get a smaller cut of money from physical sales and the only reason you would "buy" a game is to support the developer. If you didn't want to do so, then just pirate it. I pirate everything and then buy games if they are good and not full of greedy shit like microtransactions. Buying a game is the same as donating to a developer, except usually it involves giving money to a useless middleman that is of no benefit to you.

You do know writable discs fail more than discs authored for movies and right you nigger?

That's easy if you want all the content for Battlefield games.

That's what collectors edition and living in Australia are for.

Yeah, but the point being that you pretty much have to have a level of contempt for your own self-interest and actively go out of your way to get jewed that hard these days.

And Space Quest III is only like, an hour long if you know what you're doing or following a hint-book. A lot of games in those days were barely longer than the average movie.

No, there wasn't an identifiable "price drop" in the transition from physical to digital, not like there was in the transition from cartridge to CD anyhow. But on the whole, the rise in game price has either been non-existent or has lagged so far behind inflation that it's in the negative. Going digital only, is only one part of this. Another part being the market glutted (compared to the old days) with cheap labor and the falling prices of new computer hardware. It's cheaper to develop on top-of-the-line hardware these days than it was in the 80's and 90's.

In a way, I can almost sympathize with developers for wanting to push DLC and Pre-Orders and bundles and shit to help recoup some of those losses on MSRP lagging behind inflation… but then I remember that copying information (once the software is done) is extremely cheap, especially with digital distribution (almost free by comparison to putting a box on store shelves), and the market is fuck-huge now in relation to what it once was when new games cost the equivalent of a Benjamin and some change in modern dollars.

That was the entire point the guy you replied to was making.

Yes

As long as you're not keeping loose discs in a cardboard box in you're garage, you shouldn't have to worry about disc rot for some time.

Depends from factory to factory. Everyone has their own recipe for making a CD, it isn't standardized.

Everyone's CDs are rotting at a different rate. Some of them are gone in as little as 20 years.

Keyword: "Identifiable"

Saving costs on physical media and shelf space at a retailer is what is helping games stay half the cost of what they used to. Again, it's not as dramatic as the switch from carts to CD, but it's there.

With larger storage becoming cheaper and cheaper, it's easier than ever to consolidate multiple archives onto a single device with each "generation" of storage.

I used to keep physical media around as backups, then I realized it sat in a closet for years, so I sold nearly everything I owned. I held on to a handful of games that were important to me, but I'll probably get rid of them at some point because those just sit in a box like the others did.

I'll keep digital media preserved on newer formats for myself and upload it for others, but if I lost everything all at once, I probably wouldn't care too much. I can always redownload things and if there ever comes a time when I can't, fuck it. I've spent my whole life playing video games, it wouldn't kill me to get interested in something else.

quit showing off, LGR
go stalk people and VSRs at goodwill instead

Reminder that CS:GO's primary source of revenue are hats skins.

You're fully prepared for TPP, aren't you?

Yes. I want to own my shit.

In holland they are creating diamonds for data storage

Disc rot is myth. Companies have been trying to stir up this kind of bullshit to make people think going completely digital is a better alternative. I don't think I have to get into why buying digital is a horrible choice for a consumer for anyone with a brain.

I'm starting to see a lot of "Anti-physical media" rhetoric here in there all over the internet. As long as you take care of your discs, they will last for a very long time. I have a very substantial original playstation/sega saturn/dreamcast/ps2 collection, and all of my games still play great with no problems. Keep in mind, some of these games are over two decades old.

What are the advantages to btrfs over something more standard like ext4?

I've only ever had two discs die to disc rot. Both were micro$oft products.

Buy Steam keys physical is still cheaper than buying on Steam. Guess where key stores get their keys from?

Storage method really does not make much of a different in the long run.