I'm about to play Megaman ZX and Megaman ZX Advent

I'm about to play Megaman ZX and Megaman ZX Advent.
I'd like to play them like one would play MMZ, focusing pretty much entirely on using the Z-Saber.

Can i do that regardless if i pick the guy or the girl?
Are there any notable gameplay differences between the two?

You'l run into problems with that early ZXA. Don't worry though, you'll get your sword regardless of gender.

Anyways, in ZX, there are very slight gameplay differences between the two genders– like the girl gets more knockback and crawls faster while the guy swims faster– and minor plot differences as well. The choice isn't going to matter too much.

ZXA has more major gameplay and plot differences. The guy has a more traditional triple-shot buster and normal change shot, while the girl has a more powerful double-shot and a charge laser that bounces off walls like MM3's Gemini Laser. IIRC when you get the other models, your charge attacks are different depending on your gender as well, so that can be a factor.

The game is built such that you'll spend most of your time in ZX mode, which plays almost identically to MMZ, and occasionally switch to HX for mobility.

There are small gameplay differences between the two. Aile can dash faster than Vent, but Vent takes less knockback. There's an upgrade to eliminate knockback later on, though. Some sub-quests can only be done by one character or another. There are some minor plot differences between the two, as well.

I loved MMZ and could never stomach ZX's bad aftertaste of power rangers.

Also, reminder that Heavy01 died for your sins.

So, a question, who is canonically the hero in ZX and ZXA, Aile or Vent? I know that in ZX you find the opposite gender of your character, but that's confusing from the beginning.

I didn't know that. I really want to replay now.

Eat a dick, fag.

Ok so basically regardless of who i pick i'll get the Z-Saber?
Cool then, that's the main gameplay aspect i was looking for, i like to slash shit as opposed to shooting it, that's all.

There's no clear answer. It could be that they both exist in some weird combination of the stories, or neither do. The most likely option is that it's a split timeline where a different one of them survived the maverick raid as kids, and then ZXA's different character's stories are set on those timelines.

Aile is love.
Aile is life.

That's shit. The gender choice was a terrible mistake to begging with, or at least it was poorly implemented.

The fun part of ZX is that you can vary the gameplay as much as you like. Ithink it was better in ZX than ZXA since the boss transformations seems more lazy there.
As the other user said, You'll be using ZX model more than not anyway.

Yes.

Aile has a better plot, better gameplay and is significantly more popular.

Grey is obviously the one who they wanted you to play as going by the ZXA pre-release stuff and the plot stuff and has Aile as the "Model X User" for his story.

It's basically all but stated to be Aile as far as im concerned.

was out of print
Feels good man

For some reason used DS games cost DOUBLE their price as new.
I grabbed MMZX, MMZXA and MMZcollection just to make sure i owned them before they go out of production entirely in a couple of years.

Seriously used DS games cost so much more than new copies, it's fucking crazy, it's like everyone suddently decided that they want to start scalping people RIGHT NOW regardless of the fact that you can still find new copies if you search online.

You missed out, but mastery of the Zero series is pretty cool too, since it's harder. It's fun to git gud at BN and Legends, too, but nobody cares, since they're not as flashy, and very easy. I'd even go so far as to say that it's a waste with Legends games, since the best way to play them is at maximum comfy.

Has there been anything like the MMZ or MMX games? Basically games you can play very casually as a faggot or if you put in enough effort you can master the movement mechanics to the point that you can blaze throughout levels without even needing to stop to kill enemies since you do it on the go?
A big problem most games emulating MM has is that they're all similar to classic which is more tight platforming rather than fast platforming and how it ties in to the combat instead of being separate from it.

The only game that felt like the MMZ series to me since MMZ ended has been MGR.

Obviously they're two very different genres and there's no real platforming in MGR, but the core idea of "enemy -> dodge -> slash -> repeat" at very high speed, on a core level, has only been replicated by MGR so far with the proper played feedback.

Basically a version of MGR with tighter difficulty and more platforming (with more precise controls and a better camera to make the platforming not frustrating), would be a true 3D successor to what MMZ was doing, i think.

This entire thread is a reminder for me to replay these games, they were pretty fun.

The guy has less knockback when hit, the girl crawls faster. Pick the girl though because she's adorable.

I never liked the style of the official art, so this is one of those super rare times where fan art has improved a character. She's actually pretty cute when she's drawn better.

I played all the MMZ games, and I beat them fast to get the S ranks and all, but personally, man do I wish it wasn't necessary. I didn't like getting bad ranks, and I didn't enjoy having to go fast either, so there was really no good solution for me. Well, short of speed just not mattering in the first place, which is how I wish they worked. There's something about being rushed that I always, always hate in any game.

I get where you are going user. Both games drastically increase the skillcap so the player is forced to "become" their character. In the frenetic dodging, careful tight movement and dodging I don't just play Zero: I AM Zero. I need Zero's skills and ability to come even close to beating the games. Same for MGR.

Fuck that imge is great.

Actually I game I would describe as being 3D MMZ would be the PS2 title Shinobi, especially since going fast in the game is required.

Of course, that too, i'm definitely a huge fan of that game.
The "the more you kill the faster you kill" mechanic was absolutely awesome and kept the tempo growing faster and faster, a brilliant idea.

This is my main problem with MMZ. I enjoy taking my time to collect everything there is to collect, specially cyber elves. Getting S rank shouldn't rely so much on speed, but totally on damage taken. If something, the time that should count is fighting the boss, not the whole mission.

They show both of them as silhouettes in Advent.

But it does. Damage taken is probably the most critical factor, except for a few odd missions. Varies by game but you start losing points around 7 points of damage.

Meanwhile the speed req makes it nigh impossible to get S-ranks in hard mode. Killing the boss takes about the length of the mission, so it's pretty much a crapshoot. I've managed a few As at best.

Ranking was dramatically improved in Gunvolt.>>10725793

I seriously hope you are joking user. The story and writing is pozzed to all hell and the gameplay is one step above MN9.

Really? How is gunvolt? Worth pirating?

Biometal function similarly regardless of gender and your basic weaponry goes unchanged. Gender differences basically amount to Aile crawling more quickly and taking more knockback while Vent swims more quickly but takes a bit more damage, and outside of that you just get a couple lines of changed dialogue.

For Advent it's more pronounced where the performance of Grey and Ashe's Model A changes a fair bit, reflected by their no-Biometal buster weapon. Grey gets a gimped Model X with a homing shot that hits every enemy at once while Ashe gets a rebounding laser for a charged shot and her homing shot works like chain-lightning moving from one enemy targeted to the next.

Promotional material suggests both exist simultaneously to some capacity or another. Shame, that, would've been primo material for some form of a co-op mode.

I didn't really notice anything spectacularly wrong with Gunvolt, I cringed more at the fucking J-pop blaring through my headphones and gaining invincibility after I died than I did by the Tumblr pronouns for the pink guy. Even then his Tumblrization is kinda offset by the fact he represents Lust/general hedonism and was killed in front of you before you could actually fight him in Azure Striker Gunvolt (which is the one I played), plus as far as I can tell he's not really both and he's just being a faggot with his illusion abilities.

And to cap this all off, Omega was a disappointing ending for Zero 3 in many ways, I have no idea why people fellate that game when Z4 was hands-down the best game of the series and finally got copied skills right.

Wait for the striker pack that fix the terrible dub and includes 1 and 2. It's coming next month and I'm hyped since the Steam port was lazy but it was the only one with the fix. I want to play Gunvolt on my 3DS
There's also Mighty Gunvolt, which is a 8-bit version of the game.

There's nothing particularly wrong with MN9 gameplay other than not being anything like Megamankys

This is what I've always wanted from a megaman game. There's 20XX, but that's shit. Too much multiplayer, it shouldn't be oriented that way.

This is later fixed on the steam version and it will soon be fixed on the Striker Pack.

The same reason people think X5 is better than X6, >3 was supposed to be the ending, and it was a better ending than 4 if you added the broken helmet in the end. Gameplay-wise, 4 is better in almost every way, and Omega being shit is sad, but it'st the worst part of Z3.

Shame that the arcade games where you play as Megs/Proto/Bass ended up just a boss rush instead of a full sidescroller, there's unused sprites in both Power Battle and Power Fighters for normal stage-enemies that aren't summoned as mooks by the Robot Masters and ladders and such. I like the MM7 artstyle and both those games did a good job with how expressive the Robot Masters are.

Didn't even know there was a general fix-up for Gunvolt, I'll have to give that a pick-up.

I compare Z3 to X5 a lot myself, come to think of it, both were kinda awkward and half-baked in some respects with Inafune trying his damnedest to force a "climactic" ending so he could move onto other things which ended up just falling flat due to one or more elements. X5 had a shittier version of Zero's X2 fight (with a cheap unavoidable insta-kill thrown in if you were taking too long fighting that super-saiyan virus version) and Z3 had a better but still shitty version of X2's fight that culminated in killing off Zero's for-realsies body, as well as leaving Weil a rogue and uncertain element. I was satisfied more by Z4's ending than Z3's, especially with stuff like nature returning to the world via habitat systems that were on Eurasia before it crashed.

I like X6 better than I do X5. Would've kicked X4 and X5's asses if it hadn't been rushed out in some 8 months or so and what they do have is the alpha-version of a damn fine game.

So I shouldn't bother with ASG if it's on PC, or at least until Yacht Club decides to release the striker pack for PC?

Well, as I said, the PC port is really lazy, but it's not bad on itself. Pic related is how it looks, and I think that's reason enough to not play it. They kept the dual screen gameplay because they were too lazy to do an actual port for, you know, PC, and even worst the bottom screen is accessed with the mouse, so if you're using a controller or the keyboard you have to jump to your mouse. The language fix consist in Japanese voices with English text and a proper translation.
If you don't have a CFW 3DS, you can play it, just beware that it's a shitty port in those aspects. Everything else is ok.

What I think killed both X5 and Z3 is that they were both rushed. Zero could have a better move set and the story wouldn't have been half assed and Z3 could have a better Omega fight with a proper Omega sprite, like the pic you posted and an actual final fight with Weil, in fact, I think Omega should have been a mid boss instead of last boss, or Weil could have been mid boss and then Omega, Zero destroys Omega body, but omega damage him, everything blows up, they find your helmet, the end. There's also the possibility that Inafune is just an incompetent lazy retard so even with all the time in the world that wouldn't have happened. Don't misunderstand me, I also liked Z4 ending more than 3, but the whole idea behind Z3 could have been a better ending, you having an epic fight with your original body and ultimately both being destroyed.

Don't worry, so do I.

Wow that looks lazy as fuck.
Appearently it plays in 30FPS too which is a big turn off. Guess I'm waiting.

Add me to that list. I think the things X6 did well like some stages and bosses(Yammark, Turtloid, Shark Player and Wolffang) really surpassed anything X4 or X5 had and really pushed you to excel in the game rather than being way too easy like X5 and X4 were. Nightmare Dark was a shit gimmick though and I don't think I need to speak on Nightmare Mother or Blaze Heatnix

Forgot to mention
Why Capcom did that?

Probably so they can bundle it in another legacy collection with MM6-10.

What fucking sucked with that collection is that they didn't even bother changing anything or touching up anything, it's essentially selling you an emulator.

I think Inafune being a lazy retard and trying to end things unnecessarily is his general lynchpin, though on Omega's part it definitely doesn't help that they were unimaginative with Omega's actual fights. Like that bit with the Omega and X heads on a titanic body, the whole point was it was supposed to be Omega being kind of their crux and representing their power along with being fucking massive, but because of their total lack of explanation, it coming out of nowhere, being a goofy idea in the first place and the GBA's limited screen-size, instead you're just fighting some bigass face and an X face pops up once in a while and you don't know what the fuck's going on, as well as there being a big Zero head you don't see at all. Given its sheer size they could've skirted around this whole thing by fighting it from the inside; hell, they could've restructured things a bit by having it siege the planet so you have to take it down from the inside, fight your way through Omega's innards, the eight boss fights are all relocated here, and once the heads are down you move to the center where Zero's original body is located.

But there again that just ties back to X5, it was flatly unimaginative where the climax was concerned and both tried to tie things all together while simultaneously explaining not much at all. There's this bigass wireframe remake of Quick Man's stage in the Eurasia crash-site, cool, go investigate, also Zero/X is there and you're under suspicion of being Maverick due to being at ground zero even though you were just sent by Hunter HQ an hour ago.

NES-only collection for no particular reason. I like that they included plenty of goodies like hi-def boxart and promotional material but the emulator was shoddily made (flat-out didn't work for a great many people on PC, even) and there's no real reason they couldn't have included the rest of the classic series along with it. Would've been a great way to get the Saturn version of Mega Man 8 with the goodies like Wood Man and Cut Man as bonus bosses, plus bringing back Mega Man 9 and 10 from the depths of Wiiware.

Not to mention gameplay wise that Zero/X fight sucked all the dicks. X had his X4 arsenal because his X5 arsenal was even worse and he had barely any AI, Zero was supposed to be a homage to his X2 fight but is pathetically easy even in his "awakened" form.

That Zero is by and far less reactive than he was in his X2 fight continues to get my fucking goat, though there again he's not really any less passive than any other X5 boss. X2 was pulling shit like dashing around constantly, being able to flat-out block your shots if you just tried taking him head-on, and tried to stay pretty close to you whenever he could since he was beginning to transition into a melee fighter with his new saber, then come X5 and he just sits there at the other end and insta-kills you if you happen to take too long because fuck you.

X was pretty sad but there again Capcom's never really known how to program a "Mega Man-like" boss, and hell Inafune's got such a rager for Zero taking X's limelight that maybe X being disgustingly easy was purposeful. I'll agree that X5's arsenal was horrendous, I can't remember most of the special weapons you could copy and pretty much the only one I remember with any clarity is Goo Shaver entirely on account of how goddamned useless it is.

Remember that one slow as ass laser you got from Shining Horncitus? That one that required you to be standing still, took like 6 days to get to one side of the screen and barely did any damage outside of being the weakness to easiest boss in any megaman game?

X5's best played as unarmored X, Xtreme difficulty and buster only. For some bosses it makes the game a blast. Volt Kraken in particular is a great boss fight with those rules.

On the plus side, the 3DS version is 3Dlike Sega and Nintendo's 3D classics. But ironically enough, frames drop, and the problem is not the 3D, frame drops with or without 3D.
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU MAKE A NES GAME DROP FRAMES?

It could have been Anniversary collection on steroids, but nah.

No, but I remember the one from Izzy Glow. Kill me. It was memorable because the Ultimate Armor's charge shot of it was a linear beam weapon, instead of an almost sphere, like most attacks X gets.

You can change the layout so that the top screen takes up all of the screen and the skills are activated with F1 - F4, pic related. It'll still look like your screenshot outside of missions, though. It is a pretty lazy port, but it's probably still better than emulating the 3DS version since it has a bunch of extra modes and the cutscenes are higher res (although the portraits aren't, for some reason, which looks really jarring with the clean font).

Shit, I didn't know that, nigger, I fucked around with the options but never saw an option with that. Still, considering that the Striker Pack will have all the extras the steam version have plus Gunvolt 2 it is worth waiting.

Just get a CFW 3DS, the whole point is being able to play it comfit in the 3DS small screen. Shame for the res, tho.

It is implied that Prairie is Alouette, user. It's true that no one knows about Ciel other than "She want missing", but I don't think it's that important,considering that Ciel being a human she would have died long time before ZX.

The cliffhanger is terrible, that's true.

Who dies between the games offscreen

Sure she's gonna die unless we go through some dr weil immortality shenanigans. She's responsible for the biometals and was the heroine(maybe) of the zero series. Seemed plenty important enough to not just end with her simply disappearing.

Well, they don't specify that, they just mention that they lost a lot of friends fighting model W. That might or might not be Prairie, but we will never know.

Prairie was an important character in ZX and she just "went missing" in ZXA. I don't get why they love to kill characters off screen. You already have the sprites, they could just add some Grand Nuage segment with some guardians and that's it.
About the importance of Ciel herself, yes, she is an important character, but I'm saying her disappearance maybe isn't that important, as a matter of fact I think her disappearance had some thing to do with Serpent, but that's ultimately unimportant for the ZX plot. The important part is her creating the biometals.

Also, I hated the entire premise of ZXA Playing with Axl as the main protagonist is the dumbest shit, even if Model A is not Axl. I liked ZX better, in most if not all ways.

Yeah, ZXA was mediocre in most ways, even the music had less energy. [Still some winning tracks in there like usual.]

Worst part is, since it failed, we didn't get any more and megaman has been dead in the water.

I see this argument quite a bit, and although I do understand it, I personally believed it was a better ending for the series.

Don't get me wrong though, falling down still gives me goosebumps to this day.