Laptop OS

So, Holla Forums, I'm planning on getting a laptop to get comfy while playing some older vidya as well as VNs and other weebshit

My question is: What OS am I better off using? Should I pirate win7 or install linux?

If linux, what distro should I get?

I also need steam

Arch + OSX

Ubuntu

Mint is basically a better Ubuntu that actually works, if you are new to GNU+ Linux give that a go.

Fuck loonix
too much effort for no good reason, just pirate a vanilla version of w7 and disable all update and sharing settings

mint

Windows 7 is the only real option for new games but Linux is perfect for older games and is a great way to pry MS / NSA dick out of your ass.
I run win7 on my gaymen PC and Mint on my Laptop.

INSTALL GENTOO

xubuntu or any distro that comes with xfce

What a fucking loser lol

Slackware. It's the singular tolerable GNU/Linux that still exists that isn't too advanced for beginners like Gentoo. Incompetent faggots/dykes that can't program, let alone design an OS and the mass acceptance of System D which completely fucks up the purpose of using a UNIX like operating system has penetrated all fronts.

You think I'm fucking kidding? The last 2 times I installed KDE in Ubuntu, the completely normal way, apt shit the bed and borked my system, and I wasn't gonna fix it.

Or you could say fuck it and try PC-BSD (or whatever it's called now) if you can live with less software. Expect an even higher learning curve though.

Debian unstable. It's what practically everything else is based on anyway.

Manjaro. Just werks.

opinion discarded

#WIN10FAM

What is Xone and why is it turning people into Xone?

ICAROS.
Play Amiga games.

you can install steam in linux pretty easy man
as for distro
pick the one with the coolest name or looks the most pretty, because theres only four real different distros and they just have different packages and package manager.

Linux is a terrible laptop OS because of really fucking shitty ACPI configurations and shit Especially since it doesn't even support all of Skylakes power configs yet. Unless you plan on never fucking unplugging it just use Windows

Opinion logged and associated with your identity.

Go for Linux Mint. It uses less memory and should make your laptop perform faster than on Win 7.

Windows 2000

I've been using Linux Mint for over a year now and I don't like Linux, it's mostly because I haven't taken the time to properly learn it and the terminal and install shit, but I can't be fucked to do any of this shit, I literally only browse the internet and play games. It's most frustrating when I properly enter commands and it doesn't work and I look up online I'm doing it right and it's not working, that's what I hate about linux.
I'm not the most technically inclined person, but I built my pc and am not some braindead normalfag.

I still feel unsecure running linux mint, it's not a truly free distro and it has systemd.
I've said I can't be bothered with this, but I would like to learn how to properly secure my internet connection and PC, but with modern CPU and SSD's they have access to the system.

But the idea behind linux is beautiful, the whole free software aspect of it which is why I'm excited for reactOS.

ReactOS can already play Skyrim fam. Pretty funny because it has 1/10th the support and developer base as Wine and they still are working faster than they did

You just can't beat Windows' superior kernel design fam

wew

I just checked. Skyrim actually runs on it. I'm impressed.

They got extra money this year. That should speed up the development somewhat. And eventually it will catch up.

Gentoo

Lucky
My college makes me use windows

I can't fucking do it. Deadbeef is the best alternative and it's still a giant pile of shit.

Bunsen labs

My college makes me use Debian Wheezy AND Windows 7 but at least it wasn't one of the Windows 8 models with UEFI

And i'm too afraid to switch OSs and break GRUB and MBR or something.

Why when you can just get laptop with Win7 pre-installed?

FreeDOS was feature complete in 2006.
It runs all games MS-DOS runs, too. And it's FOSS.

Use WINE then.

You're also using tor improperly most likely, the person who is running the exit node can capture all of your traffic.

You're supposed to use it as a tunnel to send encrypted data through so a man in the middle can't snoop in without a great deal of effort, not to browse and post on sites like these with it.

It's made crystal clear on their webpage but nobody gets it. It does not make you anonymous if you send identifying information through it.

Then stick with a long term release of version 17. Also you can easily remove anything non-free in there. If I recall correctly you have to agree at install to allow non-free drivers and later you need to install non-free media codecs on your own(it's 1 button, grandma can do it over the phone).

If you're really having difficulty with GNU/Linux go to a local meetup of free software types when they're having a beginner's session. They'll be glad to help you learn the basics and become self sufficient.

because the stores im looking at are only selling with winb8 or 10, and i ain't about that

You DO know that tor posters on Holla Forums all use the hidden service, right? You DO know that there are no exit nodes inside onionland, right?