Tanks are 100 years old today

They were deployed for the first time 100 years ago today. So tank games people, or games with fun tanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/9hfuyw
poal.me/gvmvni
mortarinvestments.eu/information/military-armoured-vehicles
youtu.be/bNjp_4jY8pY?t=2099
youtube.com/watch?v=O2tid7terLk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Then why isn't the photo in black and white?

EDF?

Titan tank is fun (even if it's ammo capacity is laughable..10 shots for the main gun)

Here you go.

Obviously they'd update the camouflage when color vision rolled around.

It's kind of amazing when you think that the tank is a century old already.

Just imagine, 20 years before their first deployment people were still fighting like it was the 18th century.

I liked Iron Tank.

I think it's amazing to think that videogames only started happening 40 years ago. It's fascinating to think how much the world can change in one lifetime.

Well, humans have been around for about 200,000 years, the majority of this time, say, about 199,000 years, has been spent either hunter gathering, or riding horseback

Then, out of fucking knowhere, industrial revolution, followed by the 20th century

In 1899 the majority of the planet stole rode on horseback, about 70 years later we walked on the moon. Somehow starting in the early 1800s we began realizing how to truly grasp our full potential and exponential progress just hasn't stopped since

I guess we can have a tank thread then.

never understood german tank philosophy back in ww1 and 2. Steel boxes on treads. Good example, tiger 1. Why they didn't implement sloped armor like soviets did early on. They saw how effective it was. So Why they put it to use after when the war was practicaly lost. They could have made pz IV much more effective if they retrofitted the sloped armor to it. But no. They were too busy developing 50t boxes.

I wan fug tank

Politically isolated, and if you look around it wasn't just the germans doing boxes. Soviet tanks were remarkable because so many of them had sloped armour. Tiger I was in development since the pre-war, when they did run into the t34, designs after started using sloped armour; Panther, Tiger II, ect.

don't fug tank

would have to overhaul the entire assembly line most likely, at that point it's easier to make a new tank rather than retrofit an old design that the factories are already pumping out

In the case of the Tiger specifically, it's because it was an "old" design, dating back to pre-war blueprints.Also, slopped armor is more labor intensive to make, a luxury Germany did not have by that point.

Germany would have been smarter to have stuck with Pz IVs instead of constantly pushing out new designs though.

Germany did retrofit and upgrade the Pz III and IV quite substantially, moreseo the IV that had much space to bolt upgrades onto.

I WIL FUG TANK

I don't know, throwing not tactically great but decent enough cheap tanks may have been viable for the soviets and the allies, but probably wasn't the best idea for germany late war considering the state of their manpower. If I remember my shit right by the time the panther 1 was in full use it was mostly manned by young unexperienced troops. Seems like whatever they were gonna to do they were fucked in some way.
At least having one block of sloped armor for the turret and one block of inclined hull armor was cool as fuck. But again, in addition to manpower there were also running low on gas and shit to move those steel beasts.

They also made use of those chassis for a lot of vehicles.

Speaking of anniversaries, my parents can't decide if their anniversary is on the day they met or the day they got married. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the day they got married but my dad is autistic and always makes my mom cry and feel guilty on their anniversary so they never actually do anything. Why haven't they just gotten a divorce?

Happy Anniversary. I'm sort of surprised it's only been 100 years. I think my favorite tank/anti-tank games would be the Soldiers/FoW/MoW series.

Yeah it's supposed to be the marriage aniversary but provided they started seeing each others almost as soon as they met this one would be more logical.
Because divorce is an admission of failure, goes against the status quo and long established routine, hard to go against the inertia. Also maybe they still like to fug ay

I can't believe you've done this

It actually would have been. They really did not have the industrial and logistical muscle to keep so many different vehicles supplied and running.

One thing I remember reading is that Germany had these massive problems with their truck fleet because they had a huge number of models from different manufacturers, most of them spoils of conquest, and it kept clogging up their supply lines. The Allies on the other hand had few designs, most of them American trucks, and an easier time of it.

Part of the problem was, much like with the Japanese, that the Germans did not rotate experienced troops from the frontlines to instruct new recruits. One reason Germany had so many aces compared to the Allies is that they never removed their experienced troops from the front lines.

Pz III were basically all slotted for Stugs past a certain point, they used Pz II and those Czechoslovakian tanks as makeshift tank destroyers and artillery too.

Why not celebrate both?

The allies did not throw tank hordes at the enemy. When they ran into trouble they just stopped and called in hell (in the form of artillery and aircraft and dedicated tank destroyers). They did not do massed sherman charges at Tigers and Panthers.

WAR THUNDER IS FUN

If you like russian bias.

It's fun even for a wehraboo like me.

I'm more britbong myself, but it's still pretty craptastic.

I was referring to the more strategic doctrine of armored vehicles the allies had (well especially with the Shermans, who also had a great crew survivability rate) compared to the more tactical oriented approach of the germans. Wasn't referring to waves of tanks crossing open field like some kind of glorious cavalry charge, just their ability to spam produce them. At some point I should look up the survival rates of german crew in panzer IV after taking a hit, only saw the russian ones for the t34 I think.

They also used some captured french tanks.

Keep telling yourself that :^) The suffering shall never end, it's too late now
Which german tanks are you playing with?

I hope you get bullied.

who would bully man
with dick inside tank

Tank put gun up ye arse and shoot through spine.
Tank run over remains.

lel

what if tank enjoy dick

Tank have no need for dick.

need don't matter
what matter is if tank like dick in it

Sensha-do

Tank needs only good crew.
Tank need no dick.
Tank dislike unnecessary organics on it. They create trouble for crew.
Trouble for crew makes tank underperform.
Tanks that underperform get blown up.
Therefore dick dangerous to tank.
Tank cannot like or dislike like organics.
Tank however runs over unneded things.
Tank run over dick.

PANZER's gyro

I dunno, the tonk here seems to enjoy the D

They fixed the russian bias.

Even at tier 5?

Higher tiers are nofunallowed, I don't play those.

Feels weird to not play tanks for the grind anymore, at least for every nation except the brits. I still need some stuff, but I do have most of what I wanted and they could delete boosters now I wouldn't even give much of a fuck. M3 stuarts best tanks.

Panzerlied

Sure. Getting screwed by RNG/ broken DM, being uptiered most games, and getting insta nuked by some window licking pilot who spams planes in ground forces sure is fun.

because my dad won't admit to being wrong and my mom won't just let things go. normalfags are so retarded

They don't respect the panzer do they?

FUCK OFF BRITBONG

Mark I wasn't real tank, it was SPPOS (self-propelled piece of shit)

Posting first real tank

Where? Once you upgrade a tank it's guns are pinpoint accurate and everything behaves according to physics. WoT has the RNG.

I've bounced direct hits to the turret of t34 85s with 105mm HEATFS rounds before. So no, it doesn't just behave according to physics.
Damage behind armour is also largely RNG. E.g, ammo racks can turn black without detonating.

Ammo racks are not always there. You can take less ammo with you to empty your racks or he just shot enough to empty them.

As for heat being shit, duh.

Module damage is semi HP-based and RNG, plus the damage model for penetration isn't quite accurate enough, leading to a bounce if you hit a 1mm wide section of thick armor on a tank, instead of the shell just warping slightly and penetrating to the side/around the tiny strong bit. This makes the non-round russian turrets bouncy as fuck, for example.

WoT is obviously a lot more RNG-based, especially since it really does feel like your RNG gets "nerfed" if you play too well for most of a day (start getting ammo racked, set on fire, missing all shots, etc.).

WoT is made primarily to run okay on russian shitboxes. I personally play on low-ish settings at 127FPS, since I know there's plenty of framedrops. WT plays around 60-100 on medium settings, but drops to 30 constantly.
Also, WT is definitely more fun at the lower/mid tiers, but high-tier WT is a shitfest that really isn't any fun, whereas high tier WoT is where the game actually gets passable.

I know that. I have seen ammo racks in my own tank which are full survive direct hit before. Ammo detonation is based on a % chance.
I said HEATFS. You ever played tier 5? HEATFS on the leopard 1 has 400mm of penetration at any range. T34 85 has about 90mm turret armour.

Open up the game and take a look at stats on any tank shell. There is a stat which says "angle of attack with x% chance to ricochet".
So yes, RNG is in WT.

MUAAAAH THE FRENCH!

I think passed a 45° angle there is some magic bounce rng shittery. Also rng are involved when going for an ammorack depending on your shell type it goes from like 90% with heat ammo to 10-15% with apcr or something like that. Also

I had some success getting more stable fps by capping the fps at 65, and doesn't really get any lower except when shit hits the fan on a resource intensive map.
Except for the fact that you actually had to go back and play lower tiers to gain credits to be able to afford playing at higher tiers without treating your shells like solid gold. But no, trust us goy, it's to give an incentive for people to play lower tanks, not to pressure them into buying premium and credits.

Where are my magic hover tanks that can turn invisible?

AP shells seem to lose their energy fast once they hit a tank. Hitting an ammo rack on the far side of a tank rarely gets me a kill but if I hit the right one, or one in the middle it's usually fireworks.

If you've played Armored Warfare lately there is a bug where your teammates appear to be floating and artillery is cloaked unless it shoots at you.

Tank in skirt. Very lewd.

Maybe because some schrapnels hits multiple racks?
I remember them saying maybe one or two years ago that it was 15% for shells without he filler. I always go for crew only when firing ap/apcr unless I need to immobilize it first and the engine is a safer shot.

Does the barrel count as a benis? That's hot

AP always ignites the engine if you hit it.

On a fast reloading tank like a stug you can just keep setting him on fire.

It's hilarious to do.

Ladyboy tanks?

You still my nigga for liking Stuarts

Panzer Front was a fucking fantastic game

What an underrated little gemstone

Nah without HE filler it's not guaranteed, you can destroy the engine without putting it on fire. And going for the engine is often a bad idea depending on the situation. When my crew count is low and I feel like going all the way I tank with my ass in front and angled, especially on some russian tanks. But yeah it's fun to cook someone to death while they can't do anything.

I only like the M3 better due to taking the BR into consideration, they are absolutely brutal for 1.3.

BEST
TANK

BEST
GIRL

Forgot about this poll. Would you bang a tank Holla Forums?
poal.me/9hfuyw

Unfortunately user they got double dubs. You must get trips to cancel it out. It is the way of things. Praise kek!

You only got one of those right, you goob.

Welp, I fucked up. Too sleepy to fix.

Have actual best tank.

yes

Vive la France !

I was going to add more tanks to this list but I got bored. What is the cutest tank ever made?

poal.me/gvmvni

I'M COMING FOR YOU

Go away, you've been retired.

It takes a few years for new tech to become practical, factories to be retooled and training to be done particularly when your industry is as inefficiently run as the German one during WW2. The Panther did have sloped armour and in practical terms its frontal armour was probably more effective than that of the Tiger as a result.

That isn't even a tank, you mong.
That's a tankette.

Keep crying Bolshevik dog, but German Engineering will always be better than Stalinium.

mortarinvestments.eu/information/military-armoured-vehicles

>>>/normalfag/

Tanks are boring as fuck

Why does it have a dick

[citation needed]

my parents are male/female stereotypes except swapped genders. My father won't stop whining and complaining about the most retarded shit while being wrong 99% of the time and and making my mother apologize anyway while not ceasing to talk, my mother is reasonable and calm, ignores him and provokes him by saying "shut up woman" every now and then

IIRC Russian tank crew survivability was the lowest of the major powers, but given their manpower advantage this obviously wasn't an issue for them.

I recall reading that the average casualty rate for a knocked-out Sherman was 1 crew killed/1 crew wounded. I'm not sure if this was before or after the US implemented wet ammo storage. Before wet storage racks were put in place, something like 85% of Allied tanks would catch fire upon being hit, which would obviously cause more fatalities.

Keep crying Bolshevik dog

HURR DURR UR TANK A SHIT is not "calling out flaws". Also pretty much every modern tank was inspired by Soviet design, while every German design was a failure.

The only thing the soviets introduced to the table was angled armour. Something the Germans were already working with before the war. The reason they didn't introduce it in large numbers was because the Germans always favoured Quality>Quantity. Something you can see among Soviet tanks especially. The T-34's didn't even come with radios, the crews had to use flags to signal, and the original canon was ineffective against most German tank.
Not to mention, making angled armour is expensive as hell, and the Germans were being pressured to produce tanks faster. The T-34 was a nice tank to have in huge quantities, since it was simple, and the Soviets could mass produce them.
Also, Germans were the first to introduce 3 man turrets, something that tanks have been using for most modern tanks.

This was not a Soviet innovation. They copied it from the US-designed Christie tank, which they had been building under license as the BT-2.

You mean, "actual armor"? Because before Soviets (and some French designs), tanks only had light armor. And don't even get me started on the things that were introduced by Soviets after the war, such as MBTs, smoothbore cannons, ERA, APS, etc

PFFF

I m too fucking tired to find that out but I know there was some data and comparisons about the survival rate and the how long it took for each guy to leave the tank for the t34 and sherman.
Nevermind, went looking for it, it was during tankfest last year in this segment. youtu.be/bNjp_4jY8pY?t=2099 think it was during this segment. The historians panel was also pretty good.

Damn, half of my post disappeared
That's why their tanks were so unreliable, right?
That's only true for some of the tanks during early period of war
T-35 had 3-man turret in 1932

I know you're just playing 'Soviet fanboy' and defending your favorite oppressive regime, but Soviet tanks in the interwar period and in WW2 were heavily influenced by foreign design and showed little homegrown innovation. The BT-series and the T-34 were both based heavily on the Christie design.

Sorry, was meant for

Many of the German tanks actually broke down because of crew mismanagement, once the crew properly learned how to manage their tank, breakdown became more uncommon.
T-34 was simply an incredibly simple design, that sacrificed quality for cheapness. It had multiple flaws for the crew and the turret, that made it significantly worse then what was planned.
A failed design is still a failed design. The fact that the soviets had to create a new variant to actually FIT a radio, shows that the soviet tank were really made because of how cheap they were.
On the other hand, the Panzer IV already existed for the Germans to use against the T-34, meaning they didn't have to start making new designs, until the soviets came up with a new variant.
The greatest benefit of the T-34 wasn't its quality, it was its quantity, and the Russian winter.
Source? The T-35 had a lot of turrets, but they we're all mostly manned by 2 people.

Also, more than half of the tanks engaged in combat were lost due to mechanical breakdowns.

The Pz V was known to be very unreliable, but that had more to do with the fact it was rushed into production than anything else.

The Tiger too was known to break down, mostly because both the engine and the transmission couldn't handle the weight properly. And this problem was featured to an even greater extent with the King Tiger.

And that's ignoring the fact the Germans kept producing these "breakthrough" heavy tanks when they served no real purpose in a defensive campaign. They would have been better off just spamming Pz IVs and Stugs.

My favourite Tank is the one thats basically an upsized M36

Mudshits are completely incapable of fighting a 20th century war.

Even if they tried to mass produce, they would never be able to reach the level of Shermans and T-34's the allies were producing. They simply didn't have enough resources to do so.

Yeah, but it would still have been better than shitting out Tigers and King Tigers for no good reason.

Those tanks simply did not justify the resources spent on them, especially not after Stalingrad and Kursk.

As said before, the Germans always believed in quality>quantity. They thought if they could produce tanks that had more armour, firepower and speed, they would be able to handle more tanks because of it.
However, when the allies began to build tanks that, while they were not as powerful as the German ones, were still simpler and cheaper and, more importantly, in larger numbers, the Germans continued to push for the 'maker better tanks to deal with more tanks', something that bit them in ass.

Wish I could play alien front online again. The vmu mic was so bad but people actually talked during the game. I need to digout my Dreamcast.

german tanks were always meh tier

But the Sherman was vastly superior to most German tanks.

The A13 says hi. Brits had it well before the Germans did.

In the beginning of the war yes, but when it became obvious that the Blitzkrieg tactic wasn't going to work, they started focusing on producing heavier larger tanks, for reason stated in my previous post.

Which tanks are we talking about, the earlier Panzers, or the German heavies.
Also, you have to remember that American tactics with tanks was typically engaging German tanks with higher numbers, but even they had problems. There was a reason they were named after matches in the UK.

Pz IIIs and Pz IVs, basically the mainstay of the German army. Comparing a medium tank to a heavy one is silly though.

They did light up, but the Americans eventually fixed the issue. Doesn't take away from the fact that the Sherman was better armored, and subsequently better armed, than its German counterparts, on top of being more reliable in the field.

Germans achieved what they did through doctrinal superiority, not a technological one. They were always the underdog in terms of tank quality.

I just want to kill tanks with my Wiesel TOW.

SHIT!

FTFY

The American side fought mainly Panzer IV, Panthers and Stugs, and obviously some of the newer heavier tanks. The only real viable Sherman tank against them was the Firefly's, and other type of tank hunter. A large part of losses were actually because of Anti-tank positions.
The American also focused on infantry alongside tanks, rather then straight up tank on tank combat.
The American likely had the upper hand in quality later on in the war, where newer better Sherman type of tanks were being produced. At the start of the war though, it was a win by number, even with infantry.

As I recall, the reasoning for the German box hull was twofold. You'll have to forgive me, this is a long one, more addressed at anyone wondering or guessing than just the poster replied to.

One, experience in Spain soured them AGAINST sloping, as the early Panzer IIs with scads of little MG-proof plates sloping horizontally into the front and elsewhere did worse on the sloped plates than the flat ones thanks to the overmatch effect. Big shell wants to move, and it doesn't care if what it wants to move through isn't a flat surface, and in fact likes impotently sloped surfaces better thanks to physics being a bitch; wouldn't you know, the Soviets got really well acquainted with it after 1941 once the Germans started deploying high velocity cannons in number, as the T-34 was relegated to an interwar joke of a tank due to its horrible tactical efficiency, strategic uselessness due to German funnybox tier unreliability on the march, and most relevantly, 45mm of armor getting smashed in like a tin roof by just about anything the Germans would go on to field. The IS-2 gave the Germans a similar lesson, although good luck getting the thing on aim with Soviet cupolas & (non-Zeiss clone) optics in any mobile engagement.

Two, the Germans or at least a German mathematician (whose name escapes me, which is very irritating) calculated that the seemingly most efficient layout to balance weight, armor and unwasted working room was in fact the box. See, with that arrangement, the driver can sit up straight off to the side of the transmission, without leaning, crouching, or bunching up his legs. The transmission is relatively readily accessible through a top hatch. The armor can be sloped back about 10 odd degrees to a tiny effect, looking flat from the front, but not the side. And no great deal of weight is spent on making a long, sloped plate, as the LOS armor consists of narrow horizontal bands connected by a strip of transitional glacis/transmission roof armor, which is so extremely sloped that it can't be struck in the first place.

You have to understand that to slope armor you have to do one of two things; constrict the upper hull and therefore turret ring, producing cramped deathboxes ala the T-34 or else turret-restrictive designs like the Panzer III/IV concept, or you have to extend the hull outward with it, increasing dimensions and weight. And if you're retrofitting a sloped plate onto an existing design and its dimensions ala the original Panzer IV H Krupp proposal- often called Pz. IV K- then you're adding more weight on average by having to cover that whole frontal space on the vehicle with uniform armor plate, instead of thick LOS/thin roof. Additionally, though you can get effective thickness similar to or better than a technically thicker plate, this effective thickness will no longer apply once a big enough shell is lobbed at it. The Ausf. K would've potentially been a worse solution than keeping the old T-34 eating shitbox in production, as it would've been more weight for little or even less effective armor versus the coming T-34-85s. Additionally, the Krupp proposal didn't actually cut down on the number of plates needed, one of the virtues of the Panther with its simple rhomboid upper/lower arrangement, merely shuffled them around, with a lower flat 80mm glacis, sloped lower-lower glacis, sloped 50mm upper glacis, and sloped upper transitional roof plate where the driver and radiomans' hatches & optics lived. Still four plates. No great saving through rationalization of shape.

Further, the suspension couldn't stand the necessary weight anyways, since some fuckhead at Krupp decided to rush the early Panzer IV into production for the vehicles' 'urgent requirement,' and binned both an interleaved suspension design ala the German halftracks or Tiger I as well as a torsion bar suspension that was even better (and similar to the Panzer III no doubt, which stood as being quite reliable through the entire war) to instead use exceedingly simple leaf springs. Maybe I'm overfixated on them, but these leaf springs are the biggest fucking pain in the Panzer IV's design, and I have no idea why they never amended it past the very earliest batches while they were still getting ready for mass production proper, as this would have probably eliminated the nosing problems of the late Panzer IVs and the Jagdpanzer IV/StuG IV Neuer Art before they ever occurred, enabling the Panzer IV to eventually turn into some brand of dumpy slow Panther supplement in armor, though maybe or maybe not in gun and certainly not in speed.

There's lots of things that seem unwise for the Germans to have done in hindsight, not going ahead with this or that project or carrying on with the 'short war' mindset when they previously didn't expect to start their war until 1948, but to expect them to do otherwise is largely expecting them to be clairvoyant. Except the 'war in 48' part, I don't know how they'd think that to be possible with the Soviets chomping at the bit to modernize their purged-to-shit military and start toppling states like dominoes. This isn't to say that rational extrapolations can't be made for the butterflies to go Germany's way in some department or another, in this case radicalizing their arms procurement far earlier and therefore when they can better prepare for it industrially. As one example, beside certain projects not adopting interim or 'good enough' solutions, perhaps Hitler makes exceedingly clear when informed of the Panzer II's performance due to armor sloping and after inquiring further as to the cause that all further German tanks will be at least nominally proofed against their own guns at the front, meaning the OTL stepped hull shitboxes become semi-slopey stepped hull shitboxes with armor thickness a production version/wartime year or two ahead of OTL, and if he also is more insistent on his demand for upgunning the Panzer III from the L/42 to the L/60 around the Battle of France and decides to extend it to other platforms in insisting that the Panzer IV take on a high-velocity gun to support the infantry in a more useful anti-breakthrough tank role rather than being a superfluous turreted assault gun, then you'll remove a number of operational speedbumps from Barbarossa (read: gormlessly ineffectual T-34s and KVs that nonetheless just won't die clean and have to be pinged, mobility killed & 88'd to death) and force the Soviets into desperately adopting their even less reliable midwar shitboxes like the T-43 and KV-3 through 5 proposals rather than shelving them in favor of limited upgrades until they get the bigger latewar jumps ready, severely disrupting their production for no real advantage, neither retaining old tooling nor deploying vehicles that are up to German par. Lots of little things.

Holy fuck did that bloat longer than I wanted it to. In short; sloping is not the end all be all solution, but it's pretty good for the diesel era through the early atomic era. After that, there's a reason modern MBTs use flat-faced composite armor surfaces, with the only slopes being fake hollow ones mean to eat shells like on the Leopard 2. As a final sidenote on WWI tank philosophy, the thing is is that there wasn't one yet. The A-7V was a goofy gunbox more suited to rolling through cities than crossing trenches, but it was comparatively reasonable to the French St. Chamond, which was a ridiculously low and nose-heavy tractor with a bunker on top and a field gun riveted in front. They more or less universally ditched themselves due to being total shit at crossing any kind of uneven terrain.

Interesting stuff, thanks user

Do you have any books to recommend on the subject?

Brits had Cruiser tanks in widespread use as well in Europe at the start of the war and in North Africa.

Glad to be of service.

Not much I'm afraid. My learning is largely secondhand autism and careful article thumbing. I can tell you this, though; when it comes to obscure stuff like paper projects or ill known prototypes, never trust surface information. Achtung Panzer for example is garbage, as is Wikipedia which will use its sparse references. Tank Encyclopedia is pretty okay for getting accurate if spartan information. Panzer Tracts is always great reading, though it's been a long time since I saw scans online of most of them and their site is fucking ancient, good luck forking over the $20~ they want for the booklets.

Is Gaijin trying to kill Armored Warfare? Also does that mean they'll be putting in Helicopters and planes with ATGM's?

I just want war thunder to be the game it was on the beta again

the Panther was the superior tank.

That is a funny way to say Stug III.

CUTE

Does a better job at being a tank than the Panther which was an overly glorified tank destroyer than tank :^)

I love the stug like any user with taste, but the panther was still superior to the tiger.

That is a fair point user especially considering the Tiger I was a mobile pillbox with an 88mm, although there was a serious issue with the Panther that rarely gets discussed. It's gun, it couldn't fire an adequate HE round meaning a lot of them would end up getting lost to AT guns and Infantry

At this rate War Thunder will probably be getting Abrams and T-70's. Actually, the T-70 is pretty much Guaranteed.

*T-80.

Strictly speaking, the Panther was more cost-efficient than the Tiger I to produce for its considerable production rationalizations, but was actually less reliable in service for much of the war. The suspension was too strained supporting a 45 ton vehicle when it was designed and unless I'm mistaken totally unammended from a 30 ton range vehicle. The StuG III was an excellent assault gun & tank destroyer, but could not serve as a tank substitute. The 'best' German vehicle in the Panther onwards' role and timeframe is a speculative one that did not fully develop nor reach production, the VK 30 Daimler-Benz, more specifically the torsion bar suspension 30.02. This was the alternative Panther resemblant to the T-34 in all the right ways, in that it's a compact package for an above-par gun, and more or less none of the wrong ones, since it didn't have a suicidally thin hull nor was it likely to be as rough and shit of a vehicle in production in comfort, FCE aspects like the cupola & other optics, or to be quite as badly commanded, even accounting for late-war German manpower problems leading to crash coursing. If the MANther hadn't pulled ahead in the last minute of the trials and a whisper campaign against the DB Panther hadn't gone on ('it looks too Russian, there'll be friendly fire, we don't have a diesel engine industry yet, the production turret model needs to arbitrarily be done by X time because reasons') and thus prompted Hitler to deliberate very hard on whether to double back on the DB order before doing so and settling on the MANther, then Germany would have received a better vehicle for '43 in better time for '43.

After Hitler inevitably meddles with things for better or worse, you'd likely end up with a Schmalturm-esque turret with dimensions between the MANther Rheinmetall turret and the mockup turret while retaining the T-34 esque wooden mockup turrets' flat face & bulgy mantlet arrangement otherwise, a proto-powerpack engine arrangement that may end up using petrol or may end up using diesel as planned, maybe a slightly better sloped frontal armor at 60 instead of 55 degrees, and a slightly lighter vehicle overall. It would be a bit cramped, though not as bad as the T-34s' ammo box flooring and incomplete turret basket, and they would have to strengthen the frontal torsion bars a lot to make up for the weight of the inevitable 80mm front armor combined with a front mounted turret, but Daimler-Benz knew its way around medium tanks and would almost assuredly predict that there would be both nosing & snapping problems if they kept the original torsion bars and thus preempt them on the road to the production design. It would kill a shitload of T-34s and KVs, have some luck punching up against IS-2s but really wouldn't want to get hit by them, and would soldier on til the end of the war quite well in both defensive and offensive roles. You're very probably not going to be able to cram a short breach L/71 88mm in there like in the OTL Schmalturm, but it won't really be needed.

As a result of the DB vehicle being picked up, you have more Panther quality vehicles in time for Kursk or possibly an early Kursk without them due to there being no delusion of production being just around the corner for using existent parts like the MAN did with its turret, an easier time with mass production, and a less fucked maintenance train. Helps to not have to remove the turret to access the transmission, after all. Meanwhile, MAN won't give up and/or Hitler will prompt them to develop a next generation 'universal tank' seeing the sizely MAN hulls' potential compared to the physically constrained DB Panther. Assuming that the reasonable (for a superheavy) 80-ton Lowe isn't dropped for vague early concepts of Porsche's Maus (or at that point, Mammut) in the idea that some kind of super KV-5 tier monster was just around the corner and in mass production numbers, then the Lowe will enter production around the time Tiger II development (which now never starts in the fashion it did) was being finished and be a hell of a lot more reliable for having the space for a decent engine, along with carrying either a nearly 12.8cm equivalent 10.5cm gun in a smaller turret design or a 15cm StuK sillygun in the original cast turret to make it an IS-2 on steroids, which is to say a monstrous turreted assault gun. The parallel production is because it's not likely they'll be able to produce enough of the latter gun or turret and the former gun doesn't need anywhere near that much working room. In the same timeframe, a vehicle not unlike the VK 45.02 Tiger II proposal albeit with rear drivetrain will reach production relatively unmolested in the MAN Panther II (or whatever new big cat they might call it after) with a 120mmish frontal armor arrangement that might later be amended to 150mm in the late or postwar. It'll still be a 60-ish ton tank, but it won't be as troubled as the OTL Tiger II and will function as a fast heavy/proto MBT/actual MBT. While none of this on its own solves the problem of the air war totally fucking the industrial effort and therefore the logistics of the entire war nor does it do much about the strategic decisions, it does guaranteedly push the occupation lines East and out of Berlin, and is part of the industrial recipe for a credibly won alternate war amongst other butterflies.

panzer commander by col. hans von luck is not exactly an autism-grade technical manual like that user posted and i mean that in the most affectionate way, that was a good interesting read but it was pretty interesting. the dude rolled into france and around africa with rommel himself and drops a lot of technical know-how about the german armoured war machine

Man, they should just thrash them and make new ones already.

Obviously not.

If it's a Russian Tonk there is a good chance that the spirit of Stalin came from the Heavens and drove the tank personally for the glory of the motherland.

I really wish tanks could be mentioned on Holla Forums without the Girls Und Panzer faggots showing up and interjected their garbage animes.

That trash aside, all these tank games seem to be WW2. Are there any tank games that are WW1? And before anyone suggests it, no Battlefield 1.

The A13 was first made in 1939 while the Panzer IV showed up in 1936.

The Cruisers were around in 36 as well user. Also the Brits had 3 Man Turrets as far back as 1924 and fielded in large numbers. The Three Man Turret is an indisputable British invention that Wehrboos try to take credit for.

I reinstalled WoT this week without knowing about this anniversary. I've always been amazed at how quickly tank technology, as well as technology in general, was advanced because of WWII.

That's World of Airtanks, user.

I love tanks like the KV-2 and the Maus, because the very idea of them seems insane.

pic 2 - what the fuck is this abomination?

My tank>>>>>>your tank

The KV-2 was a fucking miracle of slav nig rigging. If I remember correctly, the thing couldn't turn it's turret if it was on a slope, because it would either jam tip the whole tank over, it also couldn't fire while it was on a slope, because again, the whole fucking thing would again, tip over.

M-some number Starship

Found it, M60A2 Starship. That fucking abomination was actually used in combat, but it was garbage.

it looks like sb hit a chaffee on the turret with a hammer and started from there

You can drive that abomination in Armored Warfare

I actually play that shit from time to time. I mean, it's WOT with less RNG and less oneshot bullshit, so at least it isn't the worst tank game out there.

Is low tier tanks fun to play? Is the gameplay better than WoT? How long are waiting times on yuropoor servers?

Low tiers are not bad tbh fampai. Yes, the gameplay is better than WOT because your shots actually go where you aim them most of the time, and the artillery is less bullshit. Wait times on the only server are OK.

This is actually quite informative. Thanks, user.

Fuck it, I'm reinstalling that, too. Playing arty was actually more fun in AW.

Keep in mind that it's cold war / modern era tanks. The Abrams is a playable high tier tank.

They've actually begun trying to turn the game into WoT 2.0. PvP in NA is dead. Arty got nerfed into oblivion. ATGM's are now kind of ridiculous. Up to Tier 6 the game is fun and playable. Tier 7 at a stretch. Beyond Tier 7 no, just broken balance and meta. Although to be fair below Tier 8 MBT's are underpowered as hell since retards couldn't figure out the fact that they were facing MBT's and should be flanking.

Shilling for the best thing to come from Wargaming. They pay this dude to fly around the world to sift through historical documents and show off tanks.

My grandfather took that picture

Your mom's pretty cool.
I bet she pegs him

this, he should check her room and see which dragon dildo she uses on his dad

For shame Holla Forums.
No one mentioned the greatest tank to ever exist

You've reminded me now that a decent Battlefield Warhammer 40,000 and/or IG tanking simulator will never be a thing. Why do you have to hurt me so?

Speaking of, Eternal Crusade still shit?

It is and it will stay that way.

World of Tanks vs. Warthunder

Let's go.

i haven't played world of tanks a lot but gaijin is apparently making war thunder bad on purpose while not combating cheats because they made "le unhackable game" a meme while listening to redditors

I think I found something even cuter than even a Hetzer!

The PM-1 Flame Tank!

ISIS is getting creative I see.

Blitzkrieg wasn't about hitting the enemy before he had his shit together, it was about ending battles before significant civilian infrastructure damage could occur.

You want to see the different in power between German and American tanks, and their different functionality, this is the movie to watch.

It has nothing to do with tanks, but the subject of them does come up when relevant. 10/10 movie.

WT may be rotten at the core, but WoT is full on putrid.

They're both completely horrible for the same general reasons, but if you were to remove all the bullshit from both you'd have a better game with War Thunder.

WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP MAKING THIS BROKEN DOWN PIECE OF SHIT OVER POWERED?

it's overpowered because it's powered by Stalin's holy spirit acting for the greater good of motherland, and the armor is made of the ultrare metal Stalinium.

This is a Tiger II

That's a german tank…

Comparing riding on horseback to walking the moon is foolish. Try again when more than half of the world has been above 100 km altitude. Or at least more than half of the first world

i'm retarded

Ehh, it wasn't that far off, Stalin was inherently German anyway.

Because it's a superheavy broken down piece of shit with frontal armor that more or less can't be fucked with, side armor that maybe has a chance to hold up in a pinch, and a really nice gun for which the standard APCBC-HE round pierces armor, explodes in a shower of shrapnel and spalling, and then sends the biggest chunk of the front kinetic penetrator end through the engine block of the tank. It is 75 tons of fuck you powered by a measly 700 horsepower of fuck the crew, it's not 'made overpowered,' it's just a ridiculously deadly machine if it can actually get where it needs to be.

There's a reason that in both the shitty WW2 tank games it has to be uptiered to fight prototype or early field tested projects that totally failed, were passed up on or never got anywhere 'til the postwar, or else has to fight actual postwar tanks, and that's because there's enough steel on it that it's too much to fight its actual contemporaries and contenders on a regular basis, with a similar or worse arrangement for speculatively reconstructed successors like the E-75.

The Lowe is still the better tankfu, but no one loves or cares about the Lowe except for WoT shekel farmers.

wait a second i just logged in war thunder after coming back yesterday
i got banned from the chat for 2 days for offensive language and insulting other players it says and literally all i did was call a guy a fatty multiple times

Lindybridge is retarded as fuck.

also the fact that whenever someone has a valid complaint about the game they're always answered by humblebrags and fallacies

Wow, two retards.

Happy birfday tank-san, I pray your treads stay nimble and sights sharp.

muh dik

elaborate

I like Baneblades

there was a fad where real japanese girls crippled their teeth to look like that

They don't like you, though.

No U

Everyone knows crooked teeth are kawai as fuck.

Why is that, anyways? I mean, I agree completely, but it makes no sense that a tooth sticking out can be so cute.

I dont get it, what happened?

They are referring to the Yemeni civil war the saudi are involved in.

Panzerlied leads the 7-nation army
youtube.com/watch?v=O2tid7terLk

>>>/a/545914
More anime confirmed

I like GuP but sometimes I wish there was an Anime like Valkyria Chronicles cross with GuP, without the superpowers.

That's one cute ass tank.

why is this arousing

Tanks for the memories

Because you are a degenerate?

can i get his autograph?

Simple answer, in game physics and gameplay are not implemented in the way that that piece of metal would have it's natural drawbacks.
If they would the game would be less fun, and too complex for the majority of players.

Want to have the shit visibility of a T34 ?
Or to watch your fuel gauge during a day long starring match ?
Even better, have your tank break down for nothing ?
Or the ultimate pleasure of your tank getting stuck due to bad terrain ?

If you only take the stats that gaymers think are important, three mm's here an there, two inches here, but not the thing that makes a tank hard to handle, some tanks are going to appear insanely good, because their shortcomings are ignored.

A mmo with all of it implemented would be a lot less attractive the normalfag herd.

The thing is only overpowered in this situation, basically somebody's dream of how tank battle are working.

practically the same thing

>not playing the superior bis version
You don't even have to read moonrunes.

oh boy

If Highschool girls drove tanks, what underwear would they wear?

You know the answer was diapers, so why did you ask?

See
(checked)
Dubs speak the truth. If you are in Battle for most of the day and you got nowhere to go to the Bathroom where do you think you are going to relieve yourself? Hell some tankers and pilots in real life wear them for that purpose.

Where is there a poop bump in her diapers?

you guys ready for giant robots and cyborg ninjas?

I actually find this image really cute. God help me.

I tried to play the other day. Waited in queue for about 2 minutes as a tier 4 arty. Never had more than 40 people waiting in queue during that time. Was my first post about it correct?

YEE

It's be wrong if you didn't find it cute

I'd take a decent IG game in any context really since there's so much potential.

Why?

He suffers from some kind of mental illness that renders him unable to tell the difference between knowing something and making up stupid bullshit.
For instance in one of his videos he stated that tripods make machine gun bullets hit harder because normally the recoil of the gun saps some of the bullet's energy away.

Is that the same one where he claims the interwar ZB 26-derived Bren Gun was the superior weapon to the MG34 & 42 GPMGs, because it can make 'more accurate shots' for less ammo spent? Never saw it, but from what I heard he doesn't quite seem to understand the concept of suppressive fire, or industrial level ammunition production, or the fact that the high rate of fire is made to more or less guarantee a hit in a short span of time with very slightly naturally walking fire, that might otherwise be spent taking ranging shots and off-mark bursts. Or that having one MG which can fill the roles of light, medium and to some degree heavy machine guns is an exceptionally good rationalization of both production and order of battle. Or the fact that a gunner & loading assistant just can't get quite as much done quick changing mags compared to one loading belts. Quite a bit judging from that one movie clip of the brief German-Danish combats floating around, can't remember the name, but not as much except in terms of uninterruptedly sustained fire, seeing as there is less need for barrel changes.

Is that the same one where he claims the interwar ZB 26-derived Bren Gun was the superior weapon to the MG34 & 42 GPMGs
I don't think so, it was a video he made shortly before that one.

I haven't seen it but that sounds interesting.

Found it, took me a minute. The first quick change is around a minute in, although the motions aren't as efficient as the later reloads in the scene if I remember right. Lots of small breaks in firing versus occasional moderate breaks doesn't seem as efficient once you have an industry geared up to feed high rate-of-fire belt guns.

Well I couldn't have said it any better user.

Added on that the A-7V was mainly designed to roll up to an enemy trench so the enemy was in enfilade and fire through those trenches.
The biggest issue for infatery that would try to take a trench were MGs so they only protected the A-7V against small arms fire, there is also the fact that a tank that could resist field gun shells would be to hard to move.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do this as a gag now.

Why isn't there a co-op tank game in the same style of Pulsar Lost Colony?

Why is there no tank anime in the style of LotGH? Because we don't deserve gud stuff, only suffering.

I guess you could play some combined arms game with multicrew vehicles, that's as close as we got as far I know. I shouldn't post that pic, I m garbage at it

Is it really degenerate to get intimate with a tank?

Depends on the tank.

You fail at life OP

I thought I had seen some shit and then came the diaperfags

Please stay out, your kind is so disgusting its not funny anymore…..

You fail at posting.

So Katyusha and Nonna may not be in the next season of Girls und Panzer, or at least not competing. How does that make you feel anons?

To be honest I only watch the show so I can be baffled at how fucking stupid the battles are.

Besides that I dont particularly care for those commies. Yukari is the only acceptable waifu.

Still more realistic than World of Tanks

Going to get a whole lot more stupid considering University Battles are coming next and those use very late WW2 Tanks-early Cold War tanks apparently.

Surely you had to have used a GPS or watched satellite TV once in your life no?

So now watching the show is going to give me War Thunder flashbacks, great.

Happy deployment day rolling death machine!

That's some low quality bait there.
GuP is total and complete shit, everyone knows it.

To be fair so is World of Tanks?

Because that would be terrible. LoGH's battles are mostly not that good, it stands out because of the politics.

Is there any Tank game where you can manage a Mercenary company in a fictional Campaign, upgrading your vehicles, equipment and crews as you go along?

So basically Mechwarrior Mercenaries, Tank Edition

Armoured Warfare is that. You're a mercenary, you get to upgrade and purchase new vehicles/equipment and upgrade your crew along the way. I'm not sure if there's a fictional campaign, though. I think they were planning on adding one? At the very least there unconnected PvE missions.

Isn't Armored Warfare shit though?

You've got no imagination mate.

Wonder how many series they are going to do of Girls und Panzer now?

Four series would make sense if they're going to be seperated in tank eras. Series 1 was WW2 tanks, Series 2 would be early cold war tanks, Series 3 late cold war tanks, series 4 modern day tanks.

Are they really doing that? I know Selection University has a bunch of very late WW2 tanks. Does that mean we may see IS-3's and T-44's as well?

There's nothing really confirming that that's what they're going to do, it's just speculation.

This new Global Operations mode might get back in the game.

Look like they ripped models from WoT and made a cheap, shitty anime.
With no deaths, because it shit.

It's like kittens.

Too little too late. Besides it'll end up with the following; people who are lower tiered end up getting rofl stomped and therefore quit playing the mode, leaving the sealclubbers nobody to play with which equates to dead mode.

Anyone got a good torrent for Steel Fury? I wanna try out some more WW2 simulator, so if anyone could link some besides that.
Also, is there a co-op game where your team manage a tank, rather then just one person.

Closest I think you'll get is Red Orchestra.

This to be honest. No good co-op tank games

Is Chinese WoT going to be any fun?

Maybe

Would World of Tanks be better if you got to take a bath with the enemy and your team together after each match?

Long Tank is Long

TV was less over-the-top
Jumping tanks

It also couldn't fire if the turret was turned horizontally, because, yes, it would tip over.

I love ratbats stuff

I see the tank anime getting posted around a lot and I always wonder. Is it like a generic kids anime where hitting someone with a sword just tuckers them out instead of a giant gaping wound.
Are they trying to kill each other or is it some big war game where they are shooting nerf shells and when defeated everyone just flops out of a tank tuckered out?

Cute girls doing cute things in panzers for fun. Then getting together and having a bath afterwards

I hope this thread never dies

Wait, this shit happens to other people?
I don't remember the exact day, but let's say my friend's parents' marriage was Sunday July 1st, 1990. The dad would recognize his anniversary on the first Sunday in July, while the mom would recognize hers on July 1st. He's autistic, but I can't tell if he does this as a joke or if he's serious. I've also never asked how or when they celebrate it with each other, if at all. (It's probably him joking, but it can be hard to tell sometimes.)
Your parents should have just married on the day they met.

Your mom sounds pretty cool.

It's a sport with rules and technology to make shit safe.

It will.

It's a bit of a mix between the two. While it is technically a war game, the guns are all authentic and the ammunition is live; there are numerous times when a tank ignites into flames after being shot in the series. However, the tanks are augmented with some kind of literal plot armour so that the crew members dont get hurt, along with a system that decides when the tank is considered disabled.

It's basically a bunch of high school girls getting into tanks to impress boys and save their school.

Sherman is the best tank in the world war ii. prove me wrong.

(checked)

Not with those trips I'm not.

Best tanks to shoot because of the terrible ammo rack placement.

If we can keep this thread alive for 2 more days it will have lived for half a month.

Not happening now since your post put it to the bump limit.

rip tonk thread.

Also that's a bong Sherman V, not the clapper ones, nigger.
more importantly, why is there a nigger climbing up that tonk?