en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Duck_universe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_universe
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What are you, a fucking nerd?

I'm a giant faggot that loves to read through fictional stories

Dwarf Fortress.
One game session generates more lore than all of gaming history, I'd wager.

TES. Like seriously, some of the shit I've read through books is fucking interesting. I just wish Oblivion and Skyrim weren't so bad in comparison to Morrowind. I miss dice rolls.

FO3 and 4 aren't canon.

Why did he even fucking respond?

Unless the reply was "Good catch" there is literally nothing to gain from answering.

Egos these days are absolutely outrageous.

says who?

I do.

More lore than every fallout game combined.

I'm a yuge fan of Fallout but the lore really isn't that spectacular, isn't it?

There wasn't even that much of lore from Interplay, and Bethesda is currently busy contradicting themselfes on every opportunity.

Peter does drive a point home though.
Fallout isn't meant to be a serious game, it's supposed to capture the atmosphere of old school sci-fi comics like Men in Black, or Ed Wood films. The amount of references and cameos F1 and F2 make are there for a reason; it's a love letter to the silver age.

Fallout 3 made things more serious though, everything in that game just felt like its own empty atmosphere. NV did too a little bit, but not as bad.

The Ultimate Spider-Man video game is actually canon to the Ultimate Spider-Man comics. The Ultimate comics had enough lore as it was before they finally crossed over with the main Marvel Universe a couple of years ago. Keep in mind that the main Marvel Universe includes the original GI Joe continuity, the original Transformers continuity (so G1, G2, Beast Wars, and Beast Machines), Doctor Who, and the original Godzilla continuity (which includes more non-Godzilla monster movies than it does Godzilla movies, including Rodan, Mothra, Frankenstein, and an entire King Kong tv series + 2 movies). It also exists in the same omniverse as the DCU, having had at least two canon crossovers, and the DCU has its own mega levels of turbo-autism that perhaps surpass Marvel's. Just for reference, every Marvel tv show and comic ever made is canon to the comics multiverse, and while the same can't be said for DC, the DC Animated Universe is canon, as well as the Super Friends universe (which includes not only most animated versions of DC heroes from the '60s to the '80s, but arguably the live action Batman tv show). This isn't even getting into the concepts of Earth-Prime/Earth-33 (the real world) and The Amalgam Universe, both of which are canon.

Ultimate Spider-Man undoubtedly has the deepest lore of any video game ever created. You could argue that all other Marvel video games tie it, since they're all canon as well, but Ultimate Spider-Man is the most direct connection a video game has to that omniverse, while most other video games are technically canon, but never actually interact with the lore in any significant way.

Pete wasn't even involved in the writing team, he knows jackshit about the lore. Yeah, why did this faggot even bother responding?

I like Mothership Zeta. It's a very 50's alien story.

this.
also pic related
there's still mysteries from GW1 that are left unsolved but nope, anet are fucking dick heads

Black Isle made more than enough story for three crpgs. The problem with Fallout's lore is the only real new original things Bethesda contributed to the lore after buying it was the Institute, the Railroad, the Minutemen, and two bombed-out ruins that had nothing memorable between them.

The only thing that was interesting was the Minutemen, and that was half-assed. The rest of it was either a retarded subplot/plot to pander to civil rights addicts, or just bastardized abortions of established lore.

F4 did portray the BoS as the PoS they really are. It expanded on androids/synths and the children of atom, added laser muskets, baseball, a few more vaults, Jazz music, newspapers, and Salem Witch Trials.

forgot to mention btw, Marvel vs Capcom is also canon.
All the capcom characters each have their own marvel universe theoretically
oh and dracula

Also, since I brought up Bethesda, they were amazing at writing the original Elder Scrolls lore. The lore has several thousand years' worth of history for each of the ten races in the game, with weird shit showing up from time to time Khajiit have barbed penises, a bunch of humans tried to de-elf Akatosh and it fucked up the concept of time for 1000 years, the Dwemer managed to get their people erased from existence through some unexplained fucking around with a god's heart.

If you could find the hiring history of Bethesda, you'd probably find that 80% of the original team is gone, and the remaining 20% got greedy and decided to just milk their intellectual property, EA style.

Oblivion and Skyrim are non canon

Uriel septim is bald (from daggerfall) but in oblivion he has hair. Oblivion is rendered non canon for disregarding the lore and therefore skyrim is non canon bc it builds off of oblivion's non canon lore

And Capcom's Mega Man crossed over with Sonic the Hedgehog. Archie Sonic is a different universe from the games, but involves a multiverse which involves the games, all five Sonic tv shows, and has had numerous crossovers with things such as Sabrina the Teenage Witch (part of the Archie universe) and the Image Comics universe (including things like Spawn and Savage Dragon). Not to mention Ken Penders' smash hit classic The Lost Ones (TM) (C). But even ignoring those crossovers, the sheer amount of autism in Sonic games is legendary enough, and the Archie Sonic comics surpass it tenfold.

But that said, I'm not autistic enough for Mega Man to know if there is any sort of Mega Man multiverse which would confirm that the comics and the games are connected in any way. I figure the Mega Man games canon is autistic enough to be pretty significant anyway. Mega Man II on Game Boy has more lore than your average Bethesda game, and nobody would ever know unless they read the Japanese manual or some brief profiles in Mega Man & Bass on GBA.

They're a knightly military order dedicated to preventing the unwashed masses abusing technology. How is that a bad thing at all? Dumbfuck wastelanders have no business fucking around with dangerous technology they can barely comprehend.

taking technology from scavengers in a world where scavenging is a means of survival and not giving any compensation is pretty bad.
In some situations they could literally be leaving people for dead, like horse thieves in the old west.

Is it wrong that I really like the Backstory of halo? I mean bungie halo not 343 super-ancient forerunner-progenitor fuckery and that shit. I'm talking about shit like admiral cole, who deserves a game series made after him a lot more than the mc at this point.

By that logic, ED-E shouldn't exist. 3 and 4 are pretty shit, though.

All the actual lore of Digimon is included in these games. Thought Season 2 didn't make a whole lot of sense? That's because it's more of a sequel to a video game (Tag Tamers) than it is to the first season. Confused by how a character from Season 2 was in Season 3 despite it being a different universe? All explained in Brave Tamer. The whole series adds up to explain the nature of the multiverse, the true origin of Digimon, and the real big bad behind everything in the entire series. But only the first game, the most bare bones one with the simplest story (Anode/Cathode Tamer), has an english version.

You'd think with how autistic the Digimon fanbase is, someone would have translated these in the 15 years since they came out, but no luck so far.

And no, Battle Spirit 1.5 is not the same as the GBA version. It's an upgraded version of Battle Spirit, but only the original and the sequel were ported, not the upgraded version of the original, which featured new story stuff.

Also, the Digimon Card game on PS1 shows that Digimon World is the same ccontinuity as the anime, which makes things a hell of a lot more complicated.

Honestly, Disney has the deepest lore. It helps that it goes back nearly a century as well
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Duck_universe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_universe

And with Kingdom Hearts the rabbit hole only goes deeper

They had eyebots before 3, though.

If I remember correctly that game strays way off the path of ultimate spider-man comic lore, so it's technically non-canon

idk if later comics contradicted it, but I know at the time it was certainly canon and didn't stray from the lore. Honestly, by the time it came out, the Ultimate Universe didn't have much lore worth contradicting. They used the right versions of all characters and IIRC they bothered to make minor references to the game in the comics. It was intended to be canon. Unlike other comic games like Maximum Carnage or Separation Anxiety, which, while based on specific stories, were adaptations, rather than actually being intended to fit in. We see a lot of comics meant to fit in the universe of the games (though I think Ratchet & Clank is the only one that did it well, with the next game actually building off of stuff that happened in the comic), but few games meant to fit in the comics universe.

Goddamn it I love Digimon.

I am curious to know who the real big bad behind the series is.

I mean there were key elements that were very different from the comic storyline like carnage being peter parker instead of being made from his DNA. I don't mind the changes, I liked the game as much as I liked the original comics.

Shame it doesn't contain a single decent game.

Witcher franchise is always nice for interesting lore.

None. Lore is shit.

Incorrect. When Bethesda created Morrowind there were only 3 people of the original Daggerfall team still there, of whom Todd was one of them (as he was a shit tier QA at the time). Nearly ALL of the team that worked on Daggerfall aren't there anymore.

Battletech has an amazing lore but is relatively ignored because Muh Clan Invasion.

Then you'd better either learn moonrunes (and then learn how to make translation patches), or do what I do, and bitch about these games every chance you get until eventually the ball gets rolling and someone else who already knows moon and coding does it for you.

Hell, I made it decently far into Tag Tamers by using Google Translate on my phone to take pictures of the text and have google recognize and translate it. With prior knowledge of the series to help you out with some names and shit, it's totally doable, but it takes forever, and isn't worth it unless you're making a translation patch at the same time. But from what I hear, the actual programming knowledge required to do a translation patch is much harder than reading the Japanese text, and I don't have the kind of autism that helps me learn programming, I have the kind of autism that helps me learn the subtle threads and implications of the Digimon multiverse.

From what I can tell, it would be worth it. It's a mess of time loops within time loops and heroes and villains and gods that reveal that the heroes and villains and gods we see in the anime were actually just sidekicks and underlings the entire time. You could at least play Anode/Cathode Tamer if you want a taste, but the later games seem much more complex, both in gameplay, and in story. And I'm sure the summaries you can find online don't do it justice.

Has there been another exodus lately?

there are many reasons to hate fallout 3 but the one concession I give to it is the atmosphere was really good.

Did you actually just post "muh atmosphere"? Muh theme park atmosphere?

I just said the game has good atmosphere. You get the feeling of being in a wasteland far more so than you did with the first two fallouts, though that's partially because of the tech advancements.

having to cobble together a gun from crappy raider loot was cool. The metros were cool. The downtown areas were cool.

Funny, I got the feeling of being in a half-assed theme park far more so than I did with the actual Fallout series.

so you're just going to keep going on as if i'm a buttblasted fallout 3 fanboy?

Want my rating of the game? 4/10, its shit. I give it points for actually attempting to portray a post apocalypse instead of throwing you in a crappy sandbox full of memes.

Fallout 2 isn't nearly as good as you remember. Try playing it again and cringe at all the dated as fucking pop culture references that serve no purpose whatsoever.

Fallout is trash kill youself

I always liked Resident Evil's lore. The whole history of the Umbrella Corporation and how batshit insane the people who founded it were.

Fallout before 3 was a post-post-apocalypse setting. Sure shit's fucked, but humanity's bouncing right back.

chill out fam

yall posting in a todd thread

No bait man! The Ashford were complete and total kooks!

underage detected

That's amazing. Morrowind was great and Oblivion was decent. How the fuck did they manage to ride out not having any talent for so long?

RE/biohazard is actually interesting: the zombie virus is given a sinister corporate grounding to make it more than just "the virus is spreading", and later games introduced hive-mind parasites.

And the imagination the team had for the body disfigurement was From Beyond tier.

It's interesting and silly enough to keep your attention (if your attention span is short anyway). That's about it. I've played most of the RE games, most of which several times. I wouldn't say I play it for the lore. The only interesting bits are finding information about side characters that you usually don't actually encounter in game at all, which means the main characters aren't very interesting.

Actually, I got the feeling of being in a badly written Fallout fan-fic that's set in DC 20 minutes after carpet-bombed instead of 200 years after being nuked and populated with "crusaders for peace and justice" BoS instead of actual BoS, homebrewed super mutants, and something out of a Mad Max fetish piece.

When Fallout 4 did it again with Boston, I was actually surprised they didn't create bald raiders with suicidal attacks that involved them screaming "WITNESS ME!"

I know it's autistic but Sonic actually does have lore that feels cool in that it's not explicitly spelled out for you. For example, Void is established as the negative half of Illumina, the personification of imagination and dreams. Chaos used the negative power of the emeralds, which have limitless energy that can be used to do anything the heart desires. The chaos energy is imagination, and Chaos was using the negative energy. Essentially, Chaos, at least in his villainous incarnation, is Void. Chaos and Void are the same thing in Greek mythology, the first thing to exist. Void is established to be imagination, the thing from which at least the fictional Sonic universe is born.

Also there's Gaia, for more Greek stuff.

Shadow's design isn't completely for edge value. He's a tenrec, also known as a "fake hedgehog." Professor Gerald saw the echidna murals of Chaos, and created the Artificial Chaos based on them. Shadow is presumably based on the mural of Super Sonic chasing (following) Eggman (who of course looks like Gerald) in Hidden Palace Zone. This explains why Shadow's spikes are upturned, like Super Sonic's. Tenrecs are also yellow, like Super Sonic, and not red. But of course Shadow's color scheme is because of Black Doom.

And in case anyone doesn't know by now, the story from Sonic Adventure was being built up since Sonic 2.
This fits with Sonic Adventure, which is shown to take place on Tails' home island, and is shown to be where the Echidnas lived before the Chaos incident. It doesn't fit with the Chaos Emeralds being elsewhere (South Island) in Sonic 1, but then that's why it's a legend.

Knuckles Chaotix also ties in with this. In the Japanese manual they state that the island was another piece of Westside Island that was broken off in the Chaos incident, but raised again when the Master Emerald came close to the surface in Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The Chaos Rings seen in this game were the ancient tribe's way of harnessing the Chaos Energy from the Emeralds, as we saw them trying to do in Adventure. They were also going to have more expansion in some proposed versions of the cancelled Sonic X-Treme, where the Rings of Order were the Chaos Rings' counterparts to be used to seal CHAOSDOOM, the evil elders who were trying to use the chaos energy for themselves.

There's a lot of shit going on here. But everyone would rather be autistic over the god awful SatAM and Archie continuities instead of exploring the actual lore that is subtle, but there, in the actual games. And I'm only talking about the stuff that's easy to miss. Not the stuff that's front and center, but just ignored. Like how Eggman is only trying to take over the world because the anti-intellectual McCarthyite world government that wiped out an entire space station filled with well intentioned scientists and their families, and drove his world-saving grandfather to madness, is still in power in modern day. Obviously Eggman's goal of a global theme park is better than that. But Sonic outright says "it doesn't matter who is wrong and who is right" and fights him anyway. There's deep shit there and it's canon. And I know it's autistic, but I didn't come on this Cambodian flipbook imageboard to not be autistic.

It doesn't.

He's the fucking emperor, I assume getting some mage to conjure hair for him or whatever wouldn't be hard

confirmed for only playing F2

F1 was played pretty straight for the most part and that's why it's better than 2. It still has some references and jokes but I don't think it ever broke the setting just for them (like the Alien ship in 2).

fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Vault

Anyone remotely interested in Fallout lore owe it to themselves to give these a good long read, even if there's some Bethshit stuff in there

All the japanese Sonic lore is garbage.

reminder that Avellone knew somewhere deep down the world he "created" would get raped, and not raped with love Jodorowsky style

He dead dropped all the lore he had in the fallout bible, what bethesda is making isnt fallout, IP is a "spook", it will fall to other anons that dont care about shekels to continue the tale, kind of like stalker but worse

you are correct

seriously fallout 1 was pretty fucking depressing which is really what made it effective, no time lords or hitchhikers guide references

What? He didnt have any imput on f03 or 4

I kinda enjoyed some things in FO2. Like how it looked like people were trying to develop and get out of the desperation of the apocalypse. The music was also very good. NV also did this thing where the wasteland is moving on. Things like Honest Hearts did present that pretty well.

I think Beth should've kept in mind that hundreds of years passed since the nuking. People are developing and moving on. The world isn't going to be fucked forever.

Come on, half the game is about real-politics of motherfuckers who are done with surviving and already thrived enough to have industries to start playing feudalism. Hell, NCR is already eating other city states in FO2.

I wish there was more of that. Even Morrowind presented politics pretty well. But Bethesda makes games for below average IQ plebs these days. I wanna see more conflicts that have deep motivation. Even Caesar had a lot of lore around him. Not like super evil nazi robot Eden. Skyrim's conflict also felt empty. It lacked enough autistic tons of lore and a conflict on a personal level.

Avellone wasn't on the team writing Fallout 1 and he well knows that Fallout 2 was where the lore got completely derailed.

Shit, that's actually kinda cool

Have fun with your Ken Penders garbage. The American Sonic lore has practically nothing to do with Sonic. He's a bit character in his own universe, which actually revolves around Sally Acorn and the Freedom Fighters. Then the comics diverged even from that, and just became world of krypton ripoffs that proudly had nothing to do with the source material, or even with other issues of the same comic. The closest they get to lore is trying to explain the whole mess that is how Eggman is not the same person as Robotnik, but actually Robo-Robotnik 2 from a different universe, who came to this universe after Robotnik was cannon killed, and then got turned organic by the same aliens who turned all the humans into cartoon mutants and all the animals into furrybait. And oh yeah, he's Robo-Robotnik 2 because the writer forgot his origin that he gave him only two issues earlier, and just made up a new one, with later writers explaining that the first origin was actually a different guy from a different universe who just never appeared again.

Naw, the Japanese lore is cooler. It's what was always intended, the games were built with it in mind. The guy who legally owns most characters from the american lore went to court to argue that they had nothing to do with Sonic, and he won.

too bad Uru Live is pretty much dead

Not one mention of the Might and Magic universe. Fucking really? The series with fantasy, demons, aliens, blasters and spaceships.

I don't get why people even joke about this. It's obviously true. The sheer amount of games and spinoffs has resulted in Mario having an insane amount of lore. You have three generations of Donkey Kongs, with two different series of Donkey Kong games, multiple instances of time travel, with loops and alt timelines, and then series that have their own lore that seems unrelated but is actually the same universe, like Banjo Kazooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day. And this is ignoring all the RPGs. I seriously doubt there is any video game series that has anything close to the amount of lore Mario has.

In Donkey Kong Land you even travel from DK Island to the city and construction site from the original Donkey Kong game. It's all canon and there's nothing you can do about it. No series has any mysteries as deep as the question of what happened to Donkey Kong Jr. Did he die in a terrible kart racing accident? Maybe he grew up and is the antagonist of Donkey Kong 3, who was killed by Stanley the Bugman. But then we'd have to say Donkey Kong 3 takes place after Super Mario Kart and Donkey Kong on Game Boy. Is Foreman Spike pissed at Mario in Wrecking Crew because Mario let his pet ape fuck up their construction site in the original Donkey Kong game? So many unanswered questions.

Pic not related, right?

Despite everything, while playing a great modded FNV I do consistently miss the large urban fights I had in Fallout 3.

fucking Emil Pagliarulo

I have to actually agree.

Resident Evil reall has an interesting lore. Anything related to Spencer really sounds interesting, and also the reason the zombie virus exist. They just wanted to be inmortal, yet some retards from marketing decided they could ship the zombie virus as some sort of bioweapon.

Then 5 came and turned everything that was interesting, even in stupid, in Resident Evil lore into just plainly stupid.

All lore can be interesting if you see it in the right way, even Street Fighter.

I thought Might and Magic was generic fantasy, but it sounds cooler than it should be.

Please, tell me more about aliens in medieval fantasy.

That was a modern world before Armageddon and ayy-demons influx. Somehow doors in another dimension opened and "magic" fill the world.

Faggots here are so contrarian that they go full circle and shit on FO2 then praise its sequels.

People say Mega Man X has crazy lore, but frankly, Zero is a bullshit mary sue and the entire story of the series revolves around how much better he is than X, including him literally beating bosses for you, even though he's just a fucking edgy Proto Man ripoff. Also, none of the villains are actually interesting, especially since the ones that approach being interesting are still just ripoffs of Dr. Cossack or Ballade.

The original Mega Man, on the other hand, has pretty underrated lore. It helps that it's not full of itself and always shoving its story in your face, so you're allowed to think about it on your own and not have it ruined by hamfisted execution. This fucker right here (pic related) adds more interesting lore than anyone from Mega Man X, he gives a canon ending to both Mega Man and Dr. Wily. But nobody will ever know who he is, because it's not shoved in your face like that piece of shit, Zero.

The Wizardry series also had this fantasy sci fi hybrid thing. The races were all "aliens", in a way.

It should be noted that Wizardry was one of the first games to let you play as the bad guy, in Wiz4. Another interesting bit of info is that the series was sold on the basis of its difficulty, kind of the Dark Souls of its era, but with the differnce that this is true in the case of Wizardry.

You never played the first two nor do you understand what Fallout is about.

Posting because it's eventually posted in every Fallout thread anyway.

Are you autistic? What does having a farm or not have to do with atmosphere? Atmosphere is all about aesthetics, like the mise en scene of films. You should complain about the artistic details, not the scientific details.

I think Fallout 3 is the prettiest looking Fallout game. All the destruction and decays are portrayed beautifully and intricately. Even if it's not scientifically accurate that after 200 years people aren't rebuilding much, I don't really care. It's still a good looking game.

Compare it to bland and barren looking games such as STALKER or New Vegas and FO4. They couldn't present the apocalyptic world as beautifully as FO3. Every ruble, every dead radiated vegetation, and every collapsed building have an intricate texture details put into them. I think it's Bethesda's prettiest and most surrealistic looking game since Morrowind.

6/10

Holla Forumsirgins are aesthetically bland. They're unable to see the superiority of the set design, lighting, and composition of Fallout 3. I see the flaws in the gameplay of Fallout 3, but the visuals are simply stunning. I tried playing Borderlands to scratch the itch of longing for beautiful apocalyptic visuals, but I couldn't, everything looked bland, cartoonish, and overall shit. The Last of Us has inferior lighting and composition. New Vegas somehow looks worse despite using the same engine, must be due to the lazy set design and composition.

I know that most of you might think that pretty graphics is a waste of resource, but it really adds the production value and for me, it makes exploration much less tedious.

*blind

The Donkey Kong side of Mario lore is almost as deep as Mario lore.

The original had not sound, faggo.

Metro 2033, books cover what the game will not.

Even if LL isn't entirely up to snuff

Man, Oblivion engine aged like dicks…

I ended up enjoying the book a lot more. Bits like the Kremlin monster were unsettling as fuck.

Nice.

where can I get the books free?

>>>/pdfs/
They've got some links to some torrents.

What thread because I don't see it.

Look around.

I came here to post that, DF is on the same level as TES but for a completely different reason.

Checked some main threads and can't find anything. I'll just see if I can find it via Google.

Can these faggots leave?

A point of lore is to be consistent. A consistent lore is a believable lore or interesting one. If no fucks are given to this than anything can appear at anytime for any fucking reason. It's like if a new owner of DC decided that Superman wasn't the first super hero of DC. It was actually the flash. Than proceed to make lore specific changes to lore to make flash first.

But who cares about realism in a world of super powers and magic, right?

The importance of lore is directly proportional to the importance of story, if you are going to bother making a detailed story the least you can do is not contradict it later.

This.
People who say otherwise are retarded; part of the reason I hated the recent (ala 2006) TES games was due to lore-breaking.

A point user, just one. There are multiple reasons why lore is important. Another is the reason you gave. Give anyless care to lore is no different than allowing a child write whatever they want, however they want as canon.