Bullshit Judicial System: The Game

So Holla Forums, it's been out for a few days is anyone playing? What do you think?

*I plan on buying it, just need to add money to my account*

Slow as molasses as I am, I am only on the second case, but I enjoyed it so far. Khura'in was a good idea. Sahdmadi is a bit too reminicent of Courtney I guess.
Now to fuck off forever from this thread.

Only just started the game

This is a little silly.

Payne's a bro for insisting they let Wright defend though.

Just finished the second case. Besides one shit word which everyone probably knows about by now, its pretty good! Second Case was really fun and the First is probably my second favorite starting case if only for the culprit's fucking personality and the setting.

I just beat case 4 and so far it's Pic Related: The Game. It's a major step up from Dual Destinies in outright ridiculousness and cooky characters.

Quit supporting this bullshit you fucking faggots.

I'm on case 3 and so far I love bullying leifa

About how long is it?

I usually got like 10+ hours out of each of the first 4 and I'd really rather not buy it unless it's plenty long

acceptable, but not for capcom

I've heard around 15+ Hours. I'm willing to bet if ya skip everything you'd get through gaster and I've yet to finish myself so I can't say particularly yet.

Playing Case 4.
I've been very disappointed with DD, considering it the worst game in the series.
This. however, is a major step-up and I daresay one of the best mainline games, with the best one being AAI2. I haven't finished it yet though, but so far it's great.
I am seriously suprised at just how good this is.

In short, it's everything DD should've been, finally getting a new trilogy a better direction and developing characters who've been left hanging since AA4 and AA5 (with AA5 being absolutely pointless and accomplishing almost nothing).
Fuck, I even care about TRUCY now of all people and she's a far cry from the discount Maya she's been in AA4.
They really know what they're doing, finally.

Fuck

The first case was really rough I was really bored. It's starting to pick up though. Every once in a while there is a real fucking groaner or out of place line. At least I haven't run into any of the constant spelling errors that were all over dual destinies.

That's been true since the start though.

They used to have defense attorneys in the past before passing the Defense Culpability Act: If your client gets a guilty verdict, you get punished same as them.

So unless you have 100% wins, you either die, get imprisoned or get the fuck outta the country.

Wat?

Isn't the game poking fun at microagressions though? As in, Athena is sensitive bitch for dishing out jokes at Apollo's expense and not being able to take the reply.

IIRC, she even tells Apollo to stop "snot-shaming" her.

True. I hated all the brats introduced in AA4 but Trucy is okay now. I still hate Apollo and Athena tho.

Also, separating Phoenix from the newbie duo was a great idea, giving Phoenix basically a 'hard-mode' challenge (since he is the experienced veteran now), with Apollo and Athena only spending time together, giving both time to develop.

Athena is now also a distincly super-rookie 'easy-mode' character (with Apollo being a more experienced middle-ground), which makes them feel distincly like two different characters, Apollo being a cool-headed but still just starting to mature attorney and Athena an overemotional kiddo.
I haven't really felt much difference between them as characters in DD, but here it seems they again put in more effort to give everyone a distinct personality. Even the Maya grown-up thing has been handled quite realistically, so they're definitely getting better at the writing department.

Yeah I think it's just that I've been paying attention a lot more to localization because of all the bullshit. The dub is really killing it for me though like it's been 10+ years why are there still like the same 10 english VAs for all japanese games. Also the music seems to be lowered a bit to allow you to hear the voices better.

Bang!

If I buy it at all I'll import the japanese version since the west has no physical release.

This game is more relevant to Apollo then the entirety of his own game.
Prove me wrong

Wasn't the last one too that was the one with his dead astronaut friend right?

Even if they are poking fun at that stuff it's still utilizing something that is extremely time-limited to make a joke. It's barely any better than a friggin meme reference. While it's true AA has always had pop-culture references I think most people tolerate them rather than enjoy them.

You're not entirely wrong. I mean Apollo did give us a look into his character despite what some anons say about that game, but the two after it have done better jobs.

This is something you have to accept for the translation of the AA games. You either go to the Japanese release for the pure experience or you put up with Capcom's memes and puns in the dub. This is how its been since the start and only recent events have made people care.

Puns are fine I mean from what I can tell a large chunk of japanese humour is puns and wordplay. I mean their whole justification for setting the game in LA is so they can give everyone pun names that the audience can understand. I'd also be fine with memes and references if it was replacing a similar japanese centered meme or reference. That just does not seem to be the case a lot of the time when translation comparisons are shown. All that aside I still want an undub for this game the VA for this game is the same generic anime dub and I fucking despise it.

Well Sal from the first game in the japanese version did that shit, referencing japanese memes and using forum speak if I recall. Like I said, this shit's nothing new with Capcom since they've done this kind of stuff since the original trilogy.

I completely agree on the VA though. I've heard people call it good but I want to know what kind of garbage they've heard before if this is what they consider "good"

If you watch anime dubs it's pretty much identical to that stuff. Which goes without saying because all anime is made with like the same 10 VAs since the 90s.

Is it as bullshit as the second and third game?
Jesus they were so poorly translated/localised

I do watch and while I admit its pretty bad, its had at least a few in recent memory with decent voice acting. Still, this voice acting makes Megaman X4's voice acting sound good.

I'm pissed because I can't play it.

I'm stuck on Case 2, and the first time Athena tries to used Widget with Bonny, the game just crashes and resets my 3DS. I've tried everything from reinstalling the game twice, to using another SD card, and even restarting on a fresh save and playing the first case over again. Nothing fixes it, so it must be my 3DS. It's never done this shit with any other game. I can't find any solutions online. At this point I'm sure its just my console and I'm not really interested in buying a N3DSXL just for Ace Attorney, despite how much I love the series.

Hmm I found an undub but it looks like unfortunately it's the european version so I'd have to restart my save.

Hack your 3ds, download the ROM and import your savefile.

Something tells me if its a hardware issue doing that won't mean anything.

If it's that particular game only I doubt it, especially if you're playing from the gamecard.
At least try it anyway, will take you about 5 hours and give you lots of benefits. AFAIK nothing's stopping you from playing licenced games afterward if you want.

I do admit, for entirely different reasons than the game, but still.

Faggot, that's how localization works. This "Reference can't be good" meme needs to stop.From the beginning Ace Attorney localization have done shit like that, and it corrected itself because of it, besides being optional jokes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with references, and as a cultured man you should understand them and they're clear enough to at least laugh at them without knowing the context. Stop being a faggot.

Where's that pic of the guy explaining how the Phoenix Wright localization came to be?

There's literally a character that identifies as a an attack helicopter, I am not shitting you, it's in the character's profile!

It's a remote control toy helicopter drone that a crippled girl communicates with because she's a shy a cute

I checked the context of your bullshit, and it was a joke that poked fun at the practice of calling microagressions when someone hurts your fee-fees.

the context is Athena makes a joke at another character's expense, and she gets as good as she got, then she looks stupid for calling microagressions.

Phoenix goes in full snark mode about that shit too, so no one is supporting it.

You're literally getting TRIGGERED by a fucking word, jesus christ.

When the first game was made, it was an actual satire of the Japanese judicial system, and defense attorneys are actually treated very close to how the series portrays Phoenix's treatment, with the only real difference is that Phoenix gets whipped in court by a sassy dominatrix openly and that's probably the only treatment that is exaggerated or made up.

I already talked about that here

Ah, fuck it, made a webm for the hell of it.

I'm on the last case and I haven't finished it, but here's what I think right now: It's fucking great.. except that there's too little of Maya. The game was advertised with the reunion with Maya being some important thing, but you only ever have Maya with you on one case, which is her own trial.

I feel misled.

People get triggered if you mention certain names around here regardless of context. Is it really shocking someone got triggered over a word here?

I know its for the meme, but that sounds amazing.

I liked Case 4, even if it's filler. Watching Sad Monk try his usual shit on Blackquill and have it backfire constantly was pretty satisfying after having to deal with him for two cases.

so they usually do it in the break room? got it

I'm on the Day 2 Trial of Case 5.
I was concerned by the fact that Case 2 and Case 4 are only one day each, but this game as a whole is far, far better than AA5.

I think the duration of the days themselves is significantly longer which is why there's only two days at the most. Might be me being slow af when trying to find contradictions though

You aren't the only one. It seems rather than chopping it up and making multiple days, they've just extended them.

I kinda like this new pacing, and it makes more logical sense. Why waste time when Ema can bring in additional evidence since she's already on site.

Some retard put that line in as a substitute for Passive Aggressive, possibly because Passive Aggressive is too big to fit.

So i take it they still kept the shitty ones from Dual Destinies then? Shame they didn't use the ones Nintendo used.

I agree it is kinda nice, honestly.

Those ones I admit were surprisingly nice. I liked the voice acting in that game. Shame the plot shits itself toward the end.

I LOST MY GLASSES

I would have enjoyed the case more if Blackquill didn't keep solving the case for me, for fuck's sake at one point I figured something out and he comes and does it for me like I'm supposed to be impressed.

I never asked for these feels, case three.

Did you turn off the hint system? Blackquill still gives you some "subtle" hints, but at least it stops the worst of it I think.

I played this game and tried to argue in favor of it being good.

But at the end of the day I just couldnt….

make a case for it

High impact sexual investigation

Shit that's the hint system? I thought it was the thing in AA5 where if you looped a testimony enough times you'd get a big hint.

it's actually fairly representative of japan's judicial system, which until recently was happy to rely on confessions in lieu of evidence (a guy was put away for murder after 13 hours of questioning which consisted of a cop yelling "you did it, didn't you, confess", and being denied food and water)

they've recently begun to implement something resembling a jury system, but at the moment it's just making use of multiple judges for high profile cases

I don't know. I heard that you could turn off hints and did that in the options menu before starting the game.

So, I've finished the game, and I'd say that I don't regret my purchase. Even that non-canon episode that was just made available "Phoenix Wright: Asinine Attorney" was worth something, made me laugh like I hadn't in a while. I'm not without my complaints, Nahyuta's character really didn't do anything for me, and [Case 5 spoilers] if Dhurke had just said that he was already dead it'd have made the trial a whole lot easier. Anyway, I've heard talk about people wanting another sequel, but I feel like this might be the final main series game, and I wouldn't really be against that.

Now what makes you say that? Seems like they already have another game lined up in the cards, they're planning a TGS stream specifically for ace attorney saturday that will have "the latest information on Ace Attorney games"

Alright. To be specific, the main thing is the ending involving Thalassa talking with Phoenix and saying that they're finally going to talk to Apollo and Trucy. It seems like the thing that they would say happens, but never actually show it, if only because they could do it wrong in so many ways. The final boss, Ga'ran, was also the most powerful villain the series has ever had, at least politically, and it's unlikely that they could top her to allow for a sense of danger in the cases. Anyway that's what I was thinking, I haven't really paid attention to any actual news so I'm completely prepared to be wrong.

What is your rating on AA games?
I own 1/2/3 remaster & 5, but i only played through the first so far.
Also, are spinoffs worth getting?
Is Apollo Justice even worth the bother?

I have to object here guys. Aren't you guys noticing that the translation is fucking horrendous at times? I'm not talking about the microagression shit, but more about the tone at times? It's fucking FE:Fates all over again when it tries to use cutesy words, and I remember there was a fucking blatant gramatical error on case 3 somewhere, where they used "she" instead of "her". It's almost treehouse garbage tier.

Apart from that Nahyuuta or whatever his name is is fucking obnoxious, and I can't fucking imagine Edgeworth hiring him. I thought Edgy got all brobro with Phoenix at the end of AA3 and he "got" the whole "search the truth" thing. This new Tibetan faggot is the epitome of not getting it. And don't even get me started on the smug anime bitch.

I get it, the game is better than the last one. But it's fucking stupid to have every character have to go through the same stupid arc again from hurr durr defense is bad to ok yeah we're searching for the truth. It's like watching Umaru shit again.

That said, I haven't finished the game yet (middle of case 3), but I don't expect things will rapidly change here.

Edgeworth is also desperate for prosecutors, having fired, like, 90% of the department. This guy so far has a clean record and is a prodigy in his country.

So you fire 90% of your corrupt workforce (allegedly) who didn't get it, and hire foreigners who also don't fit the job instead? Yeah, that makes real perfect fucking sense. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Reminder.

The key word here is Corrupt. Mr. Pajeet isn't/hasn't actually done anything corrupt, he's just very devout to his street shitting beliefs. Also he's really just a temp hire.

What i'm trying to say is, he's Apollo's version of Edgeworth.

Yeah, I agree that Nahyuta was a bit bland compared to other rivals. [CASE 5 SPOILER] Even when they fleshed out his motivations a bit he didn't change much in my eyes. Also, I can't blame Dhurke too much for not saying it as I can't imagine it would be very easy to tell your son you're dead, while implicating your wife in the process, but yeah a HINT would have been nice. The moment I figured that out though made it worth it as it was a pretty gut punching twist I'd say.

Also who would you all say is best assistant and why is it Simon?

Like, there's a huge chunk of the game that theyve already stolen from the first game(like the Metalhead Jesus that's basically Sawhit, and the little indian boy that's a standing for Larry Butz It'd make sense that the prodegy prosecutor who shares a history with apollo among other things, like A "father" who's basically von karma, but more powerful and more smug

Apollo Justice is Ace Attorney 4 if you want the entire plot you need to play it. I've only played one of the 2 Edgeworth Games but it was great though not necessary. I haven't touched Layton x AA but it is completely optional.

It's a mix between jap and American court system.
You better thank god it isn't full jap otherwise it'd be like willy wonka land.

Just finished case 4. Feelings so far:

Did I miss anything?

I didn't know Capcom was here too.

Yeah, I'm doing this case and its really good so far. Ironic how Phoenix gets a guilty verdict in the first case during the episode I decided to give the costumes a test drive. And his costume being Tigre.

I think the line could have fit in, especially since the original line is "That stings y'know?"
They could have kept the passive aggressive tone if they added:

Not to mention any SJW shit is SO out of character for her.
She's very up front and wears her heart on her sleeve. She wouldn't use bullshit like "problematic" and other weasel words that avoid direct conflict.
She'd call a jerk a jerk- no "Oh geez that's not very progressive, I'm just trying to help."

I can't tell if it was just one SJW (in which case, I'm getting Bravely Default flashbacks It's just a little censorship, it won't get worse in a sequel, right?), or a ham-fisted attempt at pandering to GG.
Or- god forbid- the translators feel it's a perfectly normal and rational word to use in [current year]. (Giving SJW what they want- making their made up bullshit legitimacy.)

I was in two minds about it, but it helped me look back at the last game more clearly.
It held your hand too much (and sometimes solved shit you should have been made to work out. I.e. You're a goner!), and the puzzles/mysteries weren't nearly as brain-teasing (relying too heavily on hail-mary "what if this theory is true" and sudden reveals of new information). The difficulty of the DLC case should have been the standard for case 4 or 5 (though the ending was a bit sappy for my liking).

So, irrelevant of the above, I'm gonna wait a year and get it on sale. 50% off or so. I want to support the franchise but unless reviews say it makes up for the bad of Dual Destinies, I've got to show them what I think it's worth.

I think you're talking about the "consult" option.

Is the Jap court system actually brutal?
I thought it was more a case they didn't go to trial unless they had concrete evidence? (Sort of like how they don't sue unless as a last resort)

I JUST FINISHED
THE ENDING IS SO PERFECT

investigations 3 confirmed

Had only just started playing dude, I quickly discovered how wrong I was.

Still, bothering to have a seat for a profession that had flat out not existed for over two decades seems dumb though.

I don't know why they didn't just get the guys who did the old objections.

I fucking hate that they replaced them with this new shit.

I think it's because the old voice clips were done by random people that worked at Capcom(not actual VAs).
Phoenix Wright is voiced by Ben Judd, a producer there for example.

That nation will be invaded by the USA for human rights violations. Get ready, here comes Justice!

Having finished the game, I can say that it's great.
It cured the reboot almost from all ailments and problems of AA5, while actually setting up the scenario for a future game which would exclude such potential fuck-ups again.

It lacked just maybe a bit of punch in just a couple of places to get on the level of greatness that is AAI2, but it's still one of the most solid games in the series hands down.

So, they.

– Made everyone human beings again and gave everything character
– Finally made Phoenix a very good mix of his AA3 and AA4 personality, he acts much more like a boss now
– Finally started solving shit left hanging since AA4 and finally gave Apollo a backstory and his own goals, making him a complete character
– Separated Apollo and Athena (who felt very similar in AA5) by making Athena the rookie and more emotional (emphasized in Case 4) and Apollo the AA3-level Phoenix
– By giving her a more distinct personality and a short case, they facilitated her growing in the sequel, making AA6 her actual starting point
– The ending finally unloads the mess that was AA5 with their 'three chracters at the same time' by unloading Apollo, finally giving Athena breathing room to develop in AA7 and beyond, a Phoenix/Athena duo should be good enough
– Dealed with the secondary characters. Finally developed Trucy into her own character to an extent instead of a Maya stand-in and made her actually relatable and not obnoxious; didn't botch the return of Maya actually giving her a very realistic mix of her young and older personalities (albeit showing a bit too little of her) and even made Pearl not the retard she was in AA5. And Simon is fucking great. New and old character also interacted quite seamlessly.
– Ended on a final thread from AA4, probably to resolve it in AA7 or 8. Also gave Apollo a great opportunity for his own distinct 'Arabian Nights Investigations' sub-series, utilizing his new chraracter without overloading the main series and kind of closing his starting arc finally
– The difficulty of the game is finally good again and the series stopped its stagnation

So yeah. They did everything I wanted next since 2008 in a main series. Finally, fuck.

Not only did they fix almost everything, but set up a foundation for a great sequel in advance, instead of shooting themselves in the foot like with AA4 and 5. After palying AAI2 and knowing that AA5 had very troubled development, I knew this team would deliver in AA6 and I wasn't disappointed (while being very sore about AA5).

Oh, and cases actually fucking suprise you again instead of being super obvious the MOMENT you see the true villain like in AA5 and partially AA4.
The only twist I remember immediately recognizing is
Inga's prosopagnosia the moment I found his note

Japan didn't have a jury system until very recently. I believe it wasn't until after AA3 that they got it, and even then, it's still only for extremely severe cases, such as murder. AA presumably exists a universe where they never got it and everything is still retarded in order to maintain gameplay mechanics.

It was actually AA4 and it was to rig the verdict so Kristoph would get his just desserts without the bullshit "having to think of every factor to win" thing.

Oh. I never played any of the games from 4 onward, but that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that real Japan, in real life, still barely has a jury system, and the games reflect that.

gaster blaster!

Just finished the game.
Undoubtedly one of the better games in the series, and Turnabout Revolution was a fucking strong ending. The setting and music alone were a great change of pace from the relative nothing that was DD.
Overall 9/10.

B R AV O C A P C O M

Do Nick and Maya fuck? This is important.

They only met in this game after like 11 years.

The important question is, is Nick going to fuck Iris in AA7?

A DRAGON NEVER YIELDS

I'm surprised this didn't get censored.

The whole game is basically 'Phoenix Wright and the Sharia Law' with the white lawyer coming into sandnigger land and establishing his own civilized ways.
I am sure it wasn't the team's intention, since the game probably was in development long before the refugee crisis, but I still loved that it came out now.

Phoenix is Japanese
Also the country is based on Nepal/Bhutan, you penis

No, phoenix is AMERICAN, and the country is INDIA, you fucking pajeet.

Which one looks more like Khura'in to you?

GET OUT OF HERE PAJEET.

You thinking Khura'in is india is really fucking absurd.

FUCKKK NOOOO
SO I JUST REINSTALLED MY BROWSER AND IT REMOVED MY BOOKMARKS BECAUSE I DIDNT SYNC SHIT

DOES ANYONE HAVE A LINK TO THAT FANFICTION THAT WAS POSTED LAST THREAD
FANFIC user ARE YOU STILL HERE

Use this as an opportunity to purge your desire to read fanfiction.

BUT IT WAS REALLY GOOD THOUH
I AM IN PAIN DUDE