GOTHIC THREAD

Gothic is a magical series of games. I never played RPGs or RTS games, I remember saying as a kid "I don't play games with magic and swords". So while my friends played diablo, warcraft, neverending nights and stuff like this i'd play Duke Nukem 3D, Quake or Half-Life. Gothic however was the exception. It's hard to explain what's in it that made me like this game so much, but I'll try

It's an Action RPG, that means you don't just use mouse + few key shortcuts. You get third person perspective and walk with WASD and aim with a mouse like in a shooter. I also love the fact that you have 3 different ways of attacking. How does it work ? When you highlight an enemy and hold left mouse button you're in "combat mode" as I'd call it.Now you can attack in 3 different dirrections with WAD keys and block with S.

There's no level scalling, a wolf is always level 5 and will always give you 50 exp, you have parts of map that are populated with easy and hard monsters, so you can't just run around the whole map, well you can, but you're very likely to die.
There are several fractions you can join and each opens and closes some doors to you, which gives you a reason to beat the game again. In fact, I think I've beaten gothic 1 and 2 about 10 times each. It's just a game I play once a year or so.

Continued in post 2

Other urls found in this thread:

worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=154
youtube.com/watch?v=wnrKSskVZgY
youtube.com/watch?v=q3InY3uX-Xc
tawerna-gothic.pl/gothic/saga-gothic-na-gnulinux-36.html
pastebin.com/Nk0mpZ41
gamefaqs.com/boards/561413-gothic-ii/65242958
themodders.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=uhb32tm2s5lfuuvma5nbo6bgh0&topic=13709.msg141100#msg141100
immersivekhorinis.lolbb.com/
worldofgothic.de/dl/download_84.htm
pcgamingwiki.com
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gothic_II
pl.gothic.wikia.com/wiki/Gothic_i_ArcaniA
arcania.wikia.com/wiki/Arcania_Wiki
mediafire.com/download/yertlao7a1pdba0/Gothic.rar
moddb.com/games/severance-blade-of-darkness/addons/fogfix
steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We get this thread like every two months

Is this shithole really already overrun by little kids that grew up on the 360/ps3 gen already?

Every PC gamer that isnt a casual retard has played this game

WHAT ABOUT EXPANSIONS PACKS ?

Gothic 2 got an expansion pack called Night of The Raven and I think most people play Gothic2 + NOTR instead of the vanilla gothic 2. And why wouldn't you ? This expansion doesn't replace the original game, instead it adds additional chapter in the middle of the game and adds TONS of new items, characters, skills etc… It's also much more harder than vanilla gothic 2. Some monsters were replaced with stronger counterparts, some skills take more skill points to learn (you get 10 points for each level up) I always had very hard time beating gothic 2 NOTR while vanilla gothic 2 is rather easy. I didn't play gothic 2 NOTR in over a year though, gotta try it soon (I'm almost done with G2 now)

There's a similar mod for gothic 1 called Mroczne Tajemnice (dark misteries in polish). This mod is probably even more advanced than NOTR. In vanilla G1 you have 3 fractions you can join, Old camp, New Camp and the Religious Camp on Swamp. In Dark Misteries you get 6 or 7. There are several new maps, there are completely new items such as helmets and shields (gothic only had armours) You can create your own spells and there's shit ton of new ones. It's a polish mod and I don't know if there's english translation, but I'll try to find it

What do you mean "already"?
We've had idiots worshipping fucking Halo for years now.
Even your so called "PC gamers" on Holla Forums are ex sreaming shitheads kids playing fucking counter strike everyone saw as nothing but a waste of skin back in the day.

Holla Forums is utter shit.
It's nothing but ex console babbies that switched to PC and constantly try to prove how big their microdick is, and "PC" "gamurs" that only play shit games and only ever played shit games their whole life.

Maybe, but why the fuck not have it ? Besides, this game is very popular in Europe (at least in Germany and Poland) but most of Holla Forums is from USA

Also stop typing like a goddamn retard and learn proper grammar structure you shit for brains.

Aren't germanic north europeans supposed to be the chosen people or some shit like Holla Forums always says?

If that's the case then how do you explain this drooling baboon?

Halo is as old as Half Life, the turbo casuals that like that garbage were active even when cuckchan started

Just shows the state of this place when someone has to make threads about old good games trying to get the babys into them, otherwise they will just memepost to death.

Why are the controls and combat so clunky? Severance: BoD has vastly better combat, easily customizable controls, and item highlighting mechanic. Morrowind and Daggerfall have FPS controls. Why can't this?

Oh yeah, I remember my friend calling this game the european morrowind.

dude what's your problem

Lass uns WIldschweine jagen gehen!

You sure told him. :^)

I played Gothic 2 Requiem.

It's pretty good tbh.
It made the game waaaaay more difficult (notr to the third in terms of difficulty) and frustrating at times.
But I do like some changes.

I hate A LOT of the stuff though and it kind of put me off g2.
>lockpicking is scrambled with every single attempt (goodbye bospers bow and thieves' guild riches) and doesn't improve with dex

Ideally with g2 req you would walk around with godmode on (except while questing) so that you can enjoy the dialogue.
Also, insert pc_itemfeller, kill, then loot his foods and drinks (except apples) (that would be cheating).

A cool thing is that your char already knows skinning, alchemy, smithing (well, 3 lp for the self-forged sword).

I've never played g1 though (I played it for 1 hour, fucked around in the new camp for a bit).

ok

I've found the english version of Dark Mysteries. I didn't try it, I only played the polish version many years ago, so I'm not sure how accurate the translation is, but the gameplay itself is great. You get lots of new quests, characters, the old map is updated and there are new camps you can join (for example the old mine has a camp outside of it that you can join) New skills and spells, equipment, it's also much harder, what's not to like ?

worldofgothic.com/dl/?go=dlfile&fileid=154

youtube.com/watch?v=wnrKSskVZgY

youtube.com/watch?v=q3InY3uX-Xc

What I also hate about g2 req is that there's a stamina system but 2 handed moves drain so much stamina that 2h is absolutely worthless.
Add to that the fact that you need at least 60 strength for a decent 2h weapon, and the protections from a shield, and 2h is absolutely useless in req.
You can get cord's weapon if you beat him up. 35 str for 100 damage, 1 handed. best 2h weapon is 96 str for 120 damage

Here's the beginning of g2.

I kind of want to play it again but I don't think it works on linux.
I don't really want to install linux wine either as I heard it can pass malware.
Wat do Holla Forums?

I always liked G1 more than G2, but I started a new playthrough of G2 few days ago (I'm almost done, just talk with Hagen that the castle's gate was open and I can swim to Irdorath) and I really started to like G2 more and more. Still, there are a few things that make G1 a bit better, or at least less annoying

You know how to pick locks right away
The jumping animation makes you walk a bit faster
You can learn acrobatics (you can in G2 but only using cheats)

And most of all, I feel like the whole G1 is more balanced. I always felt that I'm at the right level at the right time. I could go to the forest to grind a bit, but usually just making shit ton of quests was enough to get high level. In G2 (and NOTR especially) I always felt underpowered.
I'n the current playthrough of G2 I have very strong character, I'm not sure if I just got better at the game, or I've been lucky or what.

I've heard complains about the controls many times and I never got it. I never had any problems with the controls, hell, in G3 they simplified so many things (combat especially) and it sucks major balls. Let me give you a small tip on how I play

First of all, in G1 go to options and select the alternative control scheme, I don't even know how the first one works. In the alternative scheme you walk with WASD and almost everything is done with a mouse, it's easy as fuck. Think of this in this way. If you don't hold left mouse button then you're just walking. If you hold LMB you're in "action/combat" mode. So you you want to pick up an item or interact with NPC you just press forward (W). When you attack you press forward or sides and back for block (WASD) In gothic2 it was simplified a bit, you only need LMB click to pick up stuff or talk with people, but you still need to hold the mouse and use WAD to attack (thank fucking god. the "MASH LMB" attack from G3 is so booooooring.

Maybe i should try that mod it looks like it has potential.

it was massively popular in germany, poland and russia, but not so much in amerika. i would be surprised if most people here had played it.

wir reden nicht über den dritten teil. es gibt keinen dritten teil.

I personally have 2 computers (both are toasters) one with Linux for my internet stuff and coding and the other one runs WINXP for my fav. games. I didn't try runing gothic on linux. I can imagine it beign tricky, since you need few patches to even play it on win7. But I will try and let you know.

Ever played Severance. You'd be surprised how much better the controls are compared to Gothic.

BTW, this video is from NOTR, but there are no big differenced betwenn vanilla and NOTR at the begining. You can tell by 2:10 though. Cavalron is not in Gothic 2 (it's a character from Gothic 1)

Also, my WinXP desktop, ain't it just beautiful ? I need to get GTAs and Max Payne yet… so many others too.

I don't know why this misinformation persists. You learn acrobatics automatically when you reach 90 dex.

?
Controls are great in g2.
Keep left click clicked for when you want to to target the guy, w to attack, ad for left/right attacks, s to defend, release left click to move, s to jump back (while also defending), ad to run/move around (not very useful), w to move towards him.

You just have to time it right, that's all.
You need to get the exact timing with the defending from the strike and striking before the AI defends itself.

Lol why would you swim to irdorath?
Also why skip the whole game?
Enjoy it man.

Yeah in g2 notr you can farm the whole forests in chapter 1 then learn master 1h or 2h (60%+) and then start chapter 2 overpowered.
But requiem fixes most stuff, as I said you already know everything (you need a hunting knife though, buy it from bosper) and he auto takes trophies and skins from animals.

Yeah I heard that in g1 you can master 2 specializations since quests give a fuck ton of exp (I read you can be a mage with high strength and master 1 handed easily - without clearing the map to farm).

And finally yes, g3 was shit, even with the bug fixing community mod.

Thanks, I probably should (have) posted in the linux or Holla Forums boards, idk.
I could google it and do more research or just try installing wine (I just recently installed linux so even if I get malware and have to fully re-install it I won't lose anything) (I only have 2 folders on the PC anyway, memes and music, both backed up on usb).

Beautiful desktop, I miss serious sam. First serious sam I played when I was 5 or 6 yo, with my dad.

It's shit compared to other RPG games like Elder Scrolls.

I've found a tutorial on how to play gothic on linux, I'll try to translate the most important things

tawerna-gothic.pl/gothic/saga-gothic-na-gnulinux-36.html

So if you want music in your game you need to download those DLLs (dmband.dll, dmime.dll, dmloader.dll, dmstyle.dll, dmsynth.dll, dmusic.dll, dmcompos.dll) and put them in your .wine/drive_c/windows/system32 directory. You can however just disable the music in the configuration file if you don't want to do that.

open gothic.ini file and change musicEnabled=1 to musicEnabled=0

also change this to 0s
scaleVideos=1
playLogoVideos=1

To change resolution use these
zVidResFullscreenX=1024
zVidResFullscreenY=768

You need to open wine configuration, go to graphics tab and select "emulate virtual desktop" Whatever resolution you chose the game has to have smaller one. So for example in wine you set 1024x768 set 800x600 in game.

Now run the game like this

env WINEPREFIX="/home/user/.wine" WINEDEBUG="-all" wine "C:\Program Files\JoWooD\Gothic II\System\Gothic2.exe"

Wow, really ? I never maxed DEX so I'd know. That's cool. I know learning the acrobatics through character helper is somewhat bugged. You lose this ability after you load a save or something and you can't learn it again.

I agree, best controls are in skyrim and g3 and ES.
Best!
So complex and good!

I don't get you fam.

Thank you user!
polite sage

What's the easiest class to play in gothic 2 ? I always thought the paladin is the easiest, at least it's easiest to join, just few simple quests in town (and you're like 5 minutes aways from the town), but now I'm playing as a merenarly / dragon hunter and holy shit, it's much easier. Almost every main quests rewards you with gold, since you're not a knight / mage that would do it for honour free. I remember becoming mage hard as fuck. IIRC you need 1000 gold and a fucking sheep to even enter the church and then they give you the quests… I only played as the mage in G2 once. I remember I had to kill a stone golum. BTW, is it possible to have magic circles while being mercenary ? I've got like 5 runes that are not teleportation (I don't even know from where, I just found them I think) and it's annoying I can't use them.

I miss being a mage and raining fire outside of the castle killing all the orcs, so much fucking exp !!

Mage.
(assuming you have NOTR)
SPOILERS
Tell Vatras that Hagen won't see you. He then says the ring of water can help you reach a guild and directs you to lares in the harbour. Tell lares that you want to join the monastery. He'll direct you to diron in the marketplace. Get the statuette from the goblins in greg's cave and give it back to him, done you can enter the monastery for free.

Oh nice. I didn't know that. There's so many alternative routs in gothic, but there's that simple one that doesn't really make you look for other options. The best example would be going to the town. On your way to the town there's this guy who can give you some paper that will let you into the town basically for free (you need to do a quest for him later, but it's super easy) As a kid I never knew about finding lester or just walking around the sity through the sea. Almost every time I play gothic I find some quest or cave with items that I was supposed to find much sooner.

There's so many things I'd like to talk about in gothic, holy shit. For example, the orcs in G1 don't have any dialogs and usually all NPCs have the option "END" (or koniec in polish) to exit the talking, but orcs had "ENDE" I always wondered, if it was made on purpose or is it just standard non localised "END" used when NPC doesn't have any talking. The same thing happens with bandits in G2.

Another thing very much worth mentioning. The G1 and G2 has some awesome cheats. I'd not even call it cheats but sort of debug / developer mode. You enter BMARVINB and now you're in "MARVIN-MODE" where different keys do different things like a trainer. You can fly, resurect, go through walls, take control over other NPCs, create new NPCs, give them a face and clothes and items and skills, make them different guilds (if you want to make 2 NPCs fight eachother for example) You can "deattach" the camera from the player and position it wherever you want. Gothic was and still is used for many machinimas. I remember one series explaining all usefull tricks for making videos, such as how to make a thunder hit something or how to make glowing weapons…. it's so cool.

I wanted to embed some machnima to show what I'm talking about, but all videos are either in Polish or German. Try finding some english machinima.

Ende is end in german, isn't it?

Yeah, to max exp go to town through swimming, talk to lester, then come back and go through the gate with canthar's paper.

I pretty much know all of gothic 2 at this point.

polite sage since I'm simply re-iterating your post

Most of my friends played RPGs / Strategy games and one of them in particular really loved gothic, he made me play it in the first place. He knew all the routes, quests and bugs. And we didn't had internet untill 2006 or so. It was so crazy to find all those bug videos in gothic on youtube, we thought we were so pro to find them on our own hehe.

Dunno why but Gothic series cached on mostly in germany and poland

Fun fact:
You can insert face helper at the start of the game, choose a face that you want and then select "o" to possess him and play as him.

I think it fucks up some quests (since you're essentially a different person, you i.e. "Me" stays there) but meh.

Most of the game will work fine, but few quests will soft-lock the game, you'll be stuck in the dialog window. At least I remember it hapenning to me long time ago, but back then I was playing on cheats like crazy, so maybe something else fucked it up. I'm almost done with G2 now for 2nd time without any cheats at all and it's great. It's very hard, especially at the begining, but so rewarding.

As a kid I didn't even know it was a german game. We had it fully translated in polish inculing the voices. It's a cult game. If you played on PC in the 2000s you sure as fuck played Gothic or at least know someone who did.

There are soooo many bugs but luckily they are difficult to discover and none of them game breaking.
Requiem has 1 or stupid bugs though.
My favourite is that you can make an infinite number of swords from just 1 steel billet / raw steel as it just stay in your inventory even after you make the sword.

It takes a lot to make money using that method (around 50 gold per self-forged sword, or less) but it's not bad.
Though I'd rather just use "insert gold" if I wanted to cheat (I don't).

There's a ton of money in the game.

My favourite part about gothic 2 though are the dialogues and characters.

"Another one of those things!"
"So much for you, filthy beast."
"Keep your paws off stuff that isn't yours, got it?"

Pic related - this guy is bugged and he fights bandits (he's supposed to be their harmless prisoners) and he's unkillable (infinite health) so he's an invincible warrior prisoner that's pretending to be helpless but in fact could conquer the whole of khorinis alone.
Bugs ftw.

Of course, most of my friends had it and i played it in their houses, also i still remember gothic machinimas "gothic sklejamy" for eg.

Ein Drecksvieh weniger!

Gothic prawdziwa historia… do you remember that ? There's a whole movie made in gothic 1 (Gothic der movie i think ) and it was parodied using the text-to-speach ivona (which was very popular in those kind of parodies) I had this on CD (again, no internet at that time) and thought it was hilarious, but somehow I feel nowadays it wouldn't be so funny. I need to watch it again. I remember few lines like

Wygladasz jak kupa weza gaszona srubokretem / You look like snake's poop extinguished with screw driver

I like standing in the town and listening to people talk, it's funny

-I would do it differently
-I have opinion of my own on this
-Nobody cares about my opinion anyway
-Really ? I never heard of it
-I don't really care either way
-I can't help him if he doesn't want to
-Where did you get it from ?

It's like watching a youtube poop

What have you even been doing the entire time?

I always try to do all the quests for all camps and then decide which one to join. I prefer doing quests over grinding and you can level up very nice while doing quests, especially in Gothic 1.

For example, in G1 if you want to join new camp you really need to almost join old camp. Diego then will give you the last quest, the "test" You will get some paper that you have to deliver somewhere. You can go to new camp and they will change this paper, then return it to diego. By doing that you actually do 2 quests, one for the old camp and other for new camp. I always tried to do stuff like this and many of these quests will not be avaiable when you join the fraction.

Beating diggers up for scraps of ore, robbing people's housing and committing genocide against wildlife.

Kek, they're hilarious.

What I would do sometimes is I would play it late into the night (and I always act like a stoned retard if I've been awake for too long) and just do stupid stuff to see the NPC reaction and then reload the game to do it again.

e.g.: I would put godmode on, attack the citizens then run around and laugh as they shout "A-laaarm!" "GUARDS!" then walk to the upper quarter guard and start a dialogue.
The horde of 10 people would stop attacking me and just watch me talk to him.
I would say "I am a respected citizen of khorinis. Let me pass!" and he says in a HILARIOUS deep voice.
The guard answers "You are the DIRT under my fingernails. Scram!" and then I get attack by 11 people.

lol. I always played as a good citizen, but I've been attacked by guards many times, especially in the castle in the mining town. It's easyo to aggro them accidentaly.

There's one really weird thing about gothic. I always look at games from the technical perspective and their solution is really weird.
Everytime NPC dissapears from the map (for example he changes his clothes or just dissaperas because accoring to the story he ran away etc. ) said NPC doesn't just get deleted, he is teleported to a hiden spot on a map. You can find it with cheats, it will be filled with different dead characters from the game. I still don't get why don't they just delete them.

I had a save with basically everyone knocked down once, unimportant characters shot for more xp, every monster (including orks and trolls) killed, every available quest done and ready to join a guild.
I was between level 30 and 40 and could beat up the ore barons while still wearing that stupid novice frock.

I don't think I can muster that kind of dedication nowadays.

Shit, how could i forget about this ?

I think I've found a major bug in G2 and the fastest speedrun doesn't use it, so… I need to do it agaiin to see if it works.

You can skip killing one dragon in chapter 4. There are 4 dragons. One at the swamp, one at the vulcano, one at the fortress and finally the ice one. I killed all except for the one on vulcano. I was about to kill him, but I decided to go back to castle for suplies. I started talking with NPCs and one of them had an option "I killed all dragon" wtf ? I went to garond and told him that I killed all dragons, I've got my reward and exp, everyone was acting like I really killed all dragons. At this point I thought if I go back to Khorinis the chapter will change, but I wanted to kill that dragon for exp anyway, but I couldn't !

I could talk with the dragon, but I only had 2 options to chose "Who are you" and "Where's your treasure" There should be a 3rd one I think. After talking the eye of Innos was not uncharged, the dragon was immortal.

What always cracked me up were those hand animations when characters were speaking

My friend could really mimick those Gothic animations pretty well, it was hilarious.

We used to talk like this with my friends

I sometimes preach a bit of Vatras' sermon to my friend.

dänk

You know it.

Gothic 1 in 5:56 minutes

some info about it : pastebin.com/Nk0mpZ41

meh, using glitches

Shame.

Well, what did you expect, it's just below 6 minutes. There's one "bug-less" but I never watched it and I don't really dislike the bugs in the games, quite the opposite. It's different to play game fast or for funz and playing it normaly.

Here's the long, un-bugged run in just below 2 hours, still pretty impressive.

Speaking of glitches, especially in gothic 1. The game is filled with them, it's hard to not to use some. I love the fact, that you can avoid fall damage in G1, makes the game much faster, you can take a lot of shortcuts across the mountains. It doesn't really break game either, unlike cloning items or cliping through walls to reach stuff sooner, so i'd not put them on the same level.

It doesn't really matter which camp you join outside a small pool of sidequests, unless you're doing magic in which case you need to joun the Old Camp otherwise you can't get all the spells and dabble in dark magic when you get to Xardas.

Masz linka? Chciał bym to pooglądać.

So which camp is best to join and most interesting (from a sidequest perspective)?

Where's the magnet link?

All you had to do is type Gothic prawdziwa historia in youtube. There's like 17 parts, this is the first one.

I take it back, it's still pretty funny.

It really makes you think. Why are edgy faggots still doing extreme sports? Do they want to kill themselves in some of the worst ways to die possible over mere entertainment? I've never done anything beyond going to gym and doing casual sports. I don't see the point of parachuting, diving, rock climbing, and such. I think that 127 hours guy is a dense airhead. Life is a very precious grace.

GOG Editions, I assume they're in english and G2 includes NOTR, but I'm not sure

G1 :

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d780de9c08cb038e62d2cc96a89ecddd479f9145&dn=Gothic+1+%5BGoG%5D&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

G2 :

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0a470d32672f5320c0eb91beae306f3297d2d6f9&dn=Gothic+2+Gold+Edition+%5BGoG%5D&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Piranha bytes needs to die.
Risen 1-3 was so shit it was painful to play, worst part is that they lied about risen 3 saying it would be like the original gothic.

Has anyone seen footage of their new game?
It looks unbelievably shit.

I've never played any games from them except for G1 and G2. I've played a little bit of G3, but I uninstalled it after 1 hour or so… maybe i will give it another shot soon. One of my friends (told about him here )

Played G3 and he got stuck on a hilarious bug. I'll try to explain, but I don't know all details as I never played this game

So he had to kill some king and take something from his equipment to advance the story. He was in the woods killing goblins with the bow. He shots an arrow, but the goblin steped a side and the arrow hit some guy. He started screaming that he was assoulted an ran away. My friend didn't think of it and continued exping. Later when he wanted to return to the city everyone was hostile towards him. He managed to slaughter everyone somehow and entered the castle, but the king just ran away and vanished from the map. He couldn't finish the game… And that was before we had internet, otherwise we would just spawn him again or something. I don't think he played G3 since then.

"features"

Yes goyim, a good german game developer company needs to die because in the current year publishers and the market and reviewers and shills want simplistic 2 button SJW themed games.

this whole game screams of WHY

Just seeing that thumbnail makes me want to regurgitate my lunch.

That's literally what they make these days + their games are shit.
Warum? Was soll das?

Not sure if we should have an Elex thread but here are 17 minutes of the game.

I don't understand why they made the combat system identical to risen 3, never played it but I've only heard negative things about the combat.

I also HATE how they put in women fighters. Yeah, I'm sure -that's- believable, a skinny woman beating a bald muscular guy in hand-to-hand combat.

sorry fam, it stopped being good once the original goys left the company

Who left?
I never heard or read anything about that.

Yeah, but if the world were as it used to be (back when they made gothic 2 in, what, 2003?) they would make good games.

Gothic 3 was an idiotic decision (they wanted skyrim 2.0) but they made that decision because that's what the publishers dictate that the market responds to - mindless left click fest with no story, fetch quests but pretty graphics and huge open world.

skyrim was made 5 years after gothic 3

First thing that came to my mind when reading this is the Buttblasted Antonio. I remember him raging about Risen 2 or Risen 3 combat, since the dumbass didn't realise you don't just mash the attack button, but you have to time it with the animation. What a fucking faggot.

Besides the combat everything looks kinda cool. And I've heard it doesn't have monsters with level scalling… that's almost the most important thing for me. Then again, I don't play RPGs

They wanted the Oblivion audience, actually.

I think you mean Oblivion 2.0.

fuhlt sich gut

what about gothic vier?

Speaking of women in Gothic. There's unused female dragon slayer armour in Gothic 2.

I don't know what you are talking about, user

you know, the Gothic game that came after 3.

Back when I was in school, a friend in my classroom described to me the fastest way of getting to the final island in Gothic 2 and you can do it even in Chapter 1(I don't know if it still works with NotR). When you reach the harbor city you go to the paladin ship, walk sideways so you can enter on the ship and you go to the cabin door, if you move just right you can slip through the door and be teleported to the last chapter. I never saw it so he might have just been bullshitning me.

No, by left click fests I meant gothic 3.

Yeah I meant this.

It's not even called gothic 4 anymore, it's called Arcania.

As long as you somehow get through the door it's no problem, although I'm not sure that's possible without cheating.

tfw world of gothic was killed because of that game

Why even do that though?
Unless you bought fire rain and destroy undead scrolls, you're gonna get slaughtered.

The world of gothic died with g3, user.

Gothic 3 had a broken stagger mechanic because the games was sat on the market months too early. This was not an intentional decision

Well you would need to cheat in order to fight anything on that island, since you would still be level 2 or 3.

they worked themselves to death trying to make that fucking game playable.

I don't even like gothic 3 but I play it to honor their hard work.

Risen 3 is like that too, especially with magic since it's ranged and the game doesn't use a manapool so you can just spam it

That too, I just wanted to say that the teleport is not connected to any quest, as soon as you go near the bed in the cabin, you are sent to Irdorath.

I like the concept of Elex actually, it looks like it'll be pretty cool.

Don't play the english version, they can't afford any good VAs these days. Get it in german if you can, english subtitles are available I think.

That's why I said it's the fastest way of reaching the last island.

Don't know if you are still there. I'd say do as many quests as you can before joining any camp and then go Old Camp since you will do both Old Camp and New Camp side quests at different points in time. Though I haven't played it all that many times to call myself an expert on this subject.

That's not what I'm talking about user, and you know that.
See pic.

hard work != smart work
They should have made it more like g1 or g2 - good story, solid dialogue, small island with few views, good combat, difficult.
Instead they made a mess with a massive world, irrelevant boring dialogue, fetch quests and shitty "left click to kill" combat.
Also, fighting 10 people in g3 means fighting 1 person 10 times since they take turns to attack, like they do in the movies instead of the horde of orcs wrecking you, g2 or g1 style.

If I do get elex (I would need a new pc for that probably, so I guess I have to wait a few years) I'll get it in english.
I don't know German at all and after watching Der Untergang (and reading German history), it sounds pretty weird to me.
The language sounds very serious to me and unemotional so if I hear jokes or combat shouts they make me laugh.

Pretty reasonable, mega-satan.

Germans ridiculously easy to learn for an English speaker. Same basic sentence structure, same alphabet minus umlauts and the esset, which you don't really see anymore.

the only differences are grammatical gender and cases, both of which don't take much thought. You don't need to know what the dative, nominative, accusative or genitive as long as you know the sentence structure behind them. Gender doesn't mean dick, you just need to know what gender is associated with what if you don't want to sound like a retard.

German is no more weird than English and from the standpoint of languages English is bizarre. A Germanic language with no cases that's highly analytical with irregular grammar. Foreign speakers hate learning English.

It will work both in classic and NOTR. There's slight differenced between classic and NOTR in the Hagen behaviour though. In Classic you can tell him about the dragons without being in any guild and it will set the chapter 2 (of course, you still need to get to him in some tricky way, like walking sideways or jumping over the wall) in NOTR there's a check and you can't talk with him about this if you're not in a guild.

Oh yeah I almost forgot about agglutination, compound verbs are fucking dumb. You just take words and mash them together so the sentence flows easier, or to create a new word where none existed before.

Its the same principle behind latin roots, know your german vocab and you figure out the meaning of the sentence.

I'm a Pole and English is easier than German for me. German has three different conjugations, all verbs have explicit gender and a lot more more assfuckery. It's very easy to screw something up if you use freshly acquired vocabulary.

*verbs → nouns

Calm down user, I studied German for 3 years during middle school.

I just don't have the time nor desire to learn a foreign language from scratch right now and master it properly - especially not one that isn't directly relatable to my career progression.
If I could, I would learn Russian properly. I know chinese will be pretty important too in the coming years.
Spanish is also hella easy (studied it too, in highschool) so that's probably next on my list.

I'm polish too, I had german in school since the first class of elementary, so that would be 13 years. I know some phrases like Ich bin user, was is das and other shit, but I don't speak the language at all. I never had english in school, yet somehow we're talking.

polish is frankly confusing. Why do you need specialized characters when you already have the fucking characters that go with them? Why does a w make an f sound if its before a voiceless consonant. What is even the fucking point?

I will agree the designation of grammatical gender is pointless. Tea is masculine but coffee is feminine?

I gave up trying to learn how to read Cyrillic, its fucking stupid.

spanish is stupidly easy, I just don't have the initative to pick up another language. I'm trying to learn czech right now in case I need to leave the states, since they're pro-fun there.

Polish is supposedely one of the hardest languages in the world. As for female coffe… at least in polish I think all words enging with A are female. So both kawa and herbata (coffe and tea) are female. I also remember a movement to simplify the polish language after WW1. They wanted to get rid of the special characters like
ą ć ę ł ń ó ś ź ż

polish language is so hard even native speakers make mistakes, especially in spelling. On the other hand you get burgers confusing there with they're and than with then…

I know and i didn't say otherwise. I meant that when you speak of people who need left-mouse-button click-fest I immediately thought of the annoyed juan

I can read and write in Cyrillic. I learned it in about 2 days, of course, very slowly, like a child learning alphabet, but still. Czech you say ? I'm learning too, but it's way easier for me, since polish is so smiliar.

Hodně štěstí

Paradox get out

Diving is fun and relaxing
Nothing feels like just chiling at the bottom of the sea at the 50 meters under surface and thinking about your life

It's fun and games until the lizards comes

I usually don't defend sloppines and bugs, but bugs in Gothic 1 and 2 (and many other games) are usually fun things that don't disturb normal gameplay and tbqh I like them. Gothic 1 is prone to crashing sometimes though… that's a bad thing. I never could figure out what causes it, but i recall reading somewhere that it's because there's some sound file missing and when it's being played the game crashes. I think that the patches fix this problem though, so you only get that in the 1.0 version.

Fuck. Gothic is so buggy because it gives you so much freedom, it's the same in Half-Life. They could just seal the whole map with huge invisible box and you wouldn't be able to clip outside, but that's not fun, is it ?

The alphabet is pretty easy, what's hard is the fact that there are 2 verbs for every form, each used for different tenses.
e.g. to smoke is kuriti and pakuriti
Iirc one verb is used for the near future and near past and the present, another is used for the far future/past and the others ("will have been" etc.) but I'm not sure.

To be fair he's kinda got a point.
The beasts teleport-attack and teleport-dodge while the character moves like he just got out of a coma.
I never played though so idk.
He also seems to play like a noob.
The combat seems witcher 2 style but a little different at the same time so idk.
skip to 3:20

Yeah, rised 3 is crap, no doubt about that and the combat seems buggy, but my point stays. He's the kind of guy who needs fast traveling and left-mouse-to-win in order to have fun. What did I expect from a Xbox fag I don't know.

Again, I don't play RPGs at all, Gothic 1 + 2 is maybe the only one I've beaten. I don't know why, I'm just a FPS guy all throghout. But don't you talk shit about muh Gothic.

You seem upset. Are you okay?

Its great for slavic languages if you want avoid shit like ą ę ś ć ó etc…

Weird things are happening in Khorinis… I'm in the 5th chapter, I can go to 6th one now, but I'm trying to complete all the quests I still have and I've noticed that if I attack someone at the Onar's farm almost all other mercenaries will attack them too, even kill them ! Is this normal ? I don't remember this happening ever.

Yeah. He also chosen to learn Czech. As much as I love Czech language, it's probably the hardest one if it comes to spelling. Almost all characters have a version with a line or "mark" (upside down ^) above them.

?
When did I ever talk shit about gothic?
Except g3 which was a failure and arcania, which isn't gothic.

I was just talking in general, not directly to you.

Yeah.
Once you become a higher-up (paladin, mage) people respect you.
If you hit someone, they attack the person because the game considers that he/she "attacked" you unprovokedly.
It's pretty hilarious.
You can become a mage very easily and loot everyone in Khorinis in chapter 1.

ayy lmao. I love the gothic AI. It's so much fun.

There are several vendors in the city, but when you kill them and try to loot them, most of their items are gone. You can get those items however.

If you freeze your target it will lose 2 HP every second and if they will get killed by that their trading items won't dissapear.

You can get your 1000 gold back from daron that way.

Make sure you donate in increments of 50 gold rather than 200 so you can get +hp (lots of it).

Another small tip. You can change a lot of stuff that is not avaiable in the options menu by editing gothic.ini file. The most interesting ones are this
useQuickSaveKeys=1
Which will enable the quick saves option (F5 to save, F9 to load) it's very usefull, the comment in the file says
his feature is not testet good enough yet, and therefore it is disabled for goldmaster. you may enable it at your own risk by setting it to "1"
But I'm almost done with the game and I never had any issues. Usually I play for about an hour using quick saves and then do a normal save just in case. Another one is this :

usePotionKeys=1

If you set this to 1 you will be able to drink potions just by pressing H key. There's no animation, it will only use potions (no food or herbs) and you can do it in combat too (not while you're swining your weapon, but still, almost instant health) the devs say it's "lame"
we feel potion shortkeys suck in gameplay, so you will manually have to enable them here
So do what you want. I've played many times without it (because I didn't know about it) and once with it and it makes the game much easier and less frustrating, but… devs didn't really want it, so I'll try to not use it next time. I still had to heal myself after/before the combat, since I'm a cheap asshole and I was using lots of food and herbs instead of making/buying potions.

I didn't know donating to him gives you HP, I'm pretty sure there's no message displaying. Maybe that's just a bug in the polish version. As for getting your money back and stuff like this… there are several buged NPCs where you can give them something, then buy it from them and give it to them again. For example Vatras on the ship will give you 400 exp for giving him the book from Mario I believe (I'm gonna do it soon, but I'm just going from top of my head now) and you can buy it from him and give it again. Infinite exp !

I'll give you 2 and 3, but Risen 1 was basically a poorly-written, but heartfelt love letter to Gothic 2.
I didn't even think it was possible to like one, but hate the other.

Well, if you say so then I have a new game to play today. How exciting !

It's not as good, but you can tell that Piranha Bytes somehow avoided their haunting curse of "nun's asshole"-tier tight schedules and actually did just about everything they wanted to do.

If you're more like me and less like the guy I replied to, you should be in for a good time.

blooddetail=3

gamefaqs.com/boards/561413-gothic-ii/65242958
- Daron: donate in 50g incriments = +85 HP, +1 LP, +2 MP, +250 EXP
I remember that if you donate in 200g increments you get +3 LP and some HP.

I tried playing Risen 1, I hate it.

themodders.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=uhb32tm2s5lfuuvma5nbo6bgh0&topic=13709.msg141100#msg141100

zDontSwitchToThirdPerson=0
; … enables (1) or disables (0) auto-switching the camera to 3rd person during dialogs, interactions and combat.
; Attention: seriously affects gameplay if setting to "1", as everything can be done in 1st person, untested feature but fun

It's pretty fun to play the whole game in the first person perspective.

I just remembered that the lockpicking scrambling is in the config file, so you can probably change it back to the original. Here's copy from my gothic.ini (it's in the System subfolder)

pickLockScramble=0
PATCHVERSION=2
SHORTKEY1FARPLANEDIST=0.800000012
SHORTKEY2FARPLANEDIST=1.20000005
SHORTKEY3FARPLANEDIST=2
SHORTKEY4FARPLANEDIST=3
; … you can increase the feeling of lockpicking if you enable scrambling the combination on loading an savegame
; the value is the maximum length of combination which will be scrambled, 0 = off (default)

There's no picklockscramble in requiem and I did paste pickLockScramble=0 into it but it didn't change anything.
Requiem has its own ini and its own files so I think the guy just modified the game files.

The problem is that dexterity doesnt help in that mod either, all it does is it makes lockpicks not break.

They/he needs to fix the mod when he gets some time, should be soon (he released the beta on April 14) (I hope).

I'm playing on blooddetail=3 right now, I forgot about it. I'm downloading Risen right now, we'll see how it goes. If it's crap I still have G1 to beat. I didn't beat it whole since 2 or 3 years.

Is gothic open source ? Or is it just that you can change so much just by editing the "scripts" (I know they are rensosible for quests and general AI behaviour) that's what I call a good engine hehe.. even though it's buggy as fuck.

It's one of these games that will never die. Probably in the next millenia after the nuclear war there's still gonna be some cavemen with thinkpad laptops playing gothic and quake

What's that?
I heard about it once but never tried it.
Nice.

Pic related.

Hold on. Gothic has multiplayer?

I've only played it once when it came out, there was very few servers and it was laggy as fuck. Back then it was just PVP, but maybe nowadays it's better. Let's see….

just learn bulgarian bruh
we've got the least weird sounding letters, and if we have any we only use them in a few words/names
i'd tell you to learn russian, but the grammar there is a pain

Are there any games in Bulgarian?

It has one yes. It's manly played by polacks and krauts. It used to have deathmatch and other gamemodes but nowadays only roleplay servers survive.

There is a lone English roleplay server called Immersive Khorinis but it has a very small community.

Damn, this video really makes me wanna try hosting my own gothic server. I used to host many metin2 servers (popular MMO in Europe) and I was doing some hacks/ addons for other server owners… Maybe it's time for gothic with Holla Forums ?

the only notable game made by bulgarians that i can think of is the tropico series, and i have no idea if it even has the option for bulgarian as a language, since it's main audience is english speaking people
and i was about to say Tzar burdain of the crown, but apparently the bastards only made it in english and fucking spanish

I wish more games came out in their native languages, but making it english only is way easier. Not only because you have one language to work with, it's also easier to code for it (not special characters, so everything can be done with fast ASCII ) I'm working on my own game and I don't know if I should bother with polish version at all (there's not gonna be a lot of text though… so why not. I'd need to replace some code that relies on ASCII only though )

That would be pretty good for finishing the game easily.

So what does it to do?
Just questing together?

Well, the guy in the video explains how his server has those abilities like learning new skills and monsters that you can kill and loot. Sounds like the game has a lot of moding potential and I was in the moding bussiness (if you can call it) of Metin2 (MMO) for almost 5 years now. I'm seriously gonna look into that and try to launch something somewhere in the near future.

Thanks. I thought it was deleted.

Orcs escape from the city when it gets cleaned out. They take their quest objects and exp with them. It's annoying.

It's fun to loot the ship in the first chapter. Didn't they fix the walking sideways bug in G2?

Don't forget that G3 had an addon which was even worse than the original. Clearly time was not the issue.

That means nothing.

Gotta try this.

They kinda did. Most of the time the NPC will still stop you, but they will attack you after 2 or 3 times they stop you, so you can go forward a bit each time and sometimes go out of their reach. Many times you can just walk past them, doesn't really work on the ship, but when you enter the city all you have to do is go behind them.

There's tons and tons of little bugs in G1 and G2 (G1 especially) that will make your playthrough way easier. Of course, it's up to you if you want to use them or not. I personally love bugs in the games, especially when they can be explained why they work, as you can imagine, I like speedruns very much, but when playing on my own… not really. It depends.

In gothic you only die by fall damage if you fall on your back or your belly, it all depends on the animation, in G1 you can walk sideways in the midair, which will change the animation and you will land on your feet just fine. Very usefull and not game breaking.

Here's a list of few bugs that I'd consider game breaking, but are fun to use them from time to time when you just want to fuck shit up.

If you use one-time-use items (except for scrolls) while something is attacking you you won't lose the item. Very useful to get gold with opening sacks and getting infinite strenght / dex / hp with the potions / herbs

You can get a lot of items for free from vendors - explained here :

If a NPC bloks your path, you can just walk pass him if you draw your weapon or walk sideways (it was somewhat fixed in G2)

Some NPCs will have an quest item you just gave them. You can buy it from them and give it back for another reward - Example - Vatras in 6th chapter of G2

You can walk through many doors and walls. Just fuck around them, try jumping or walking sideways, eventually it will happen. If morph into a monster you will be teleported through a wall sometimes too.

There is open-world MMO called Defiance (after some tv-show i've never seen) with similar world and mechanics overall. I think it looks even better. And you can customize character.

If it was something else i'd buy that "pre-alpha" but we all know with these dev's you'll have all this shitty animations, characters and blasters in final release. They never improve.

Fuck, the small Quick Reply button makes me thing I typed much more than I really did.

Some more bugs

In G1 you can double your ores. If there's a vendor that has some amount of money, attack him and let him kill you. He will take your money and for some reason his old money will double, so you can kill him and take 2 times more ore than you'd do usually.
In G1 if you beat a human with a sword you get exp, then you can kill him again with bow to get exp second time.

And some other minor stuff

In G1 when you go with Gorn to the new mine he will attack you if you attack guards from old camp.
In G1 you can walk through the barrier if you're morphed into bloodsucker (is that it's name ? I mean that flying piece of shit)
In G1 outside of the old camp you can see the line where 2 pieces of grass are connected on a angle. Keep jumping on it and eventually you will be launched into air

There is really not much you can do there other than role-play with others, kill monsters and create your own "quests" with other players to do.

This multiplayer is not a COOP game but a bare bones gothic 2 with monsters, other players and unkillable stationary NPCs that don't talk. It's a sandbox game really where you can run around with your buddies and do shit. There are faction wars sometimes where you can go and kill other players but it's all done in roleplay fashion meaning wall of words before anything happens.

I've been following the server for quite some time and the admin is trying to implement some questing. Here's their forum immersivekhorinis.lolbb.com/ if anyone is REALLY wants to try this shit.

In G1 you can use the story helper character (summoned by cheats) to set chapter 2 which will give you the in Extremo band in the oldcamp near entrance to the castle, idk why was it cut from the usual gameplay
In G2:NOTR you can make infinite money with blacksmith Harad. You make 2 swords and equip one of them. If you try to sell them, he will pay you for 2 swords, but only take one.

That's what I'm talking about. I'm long burned out on metin2 and I feel like I could add a lot of stuff to the gothic multiplayer. Maybe, idk. I'm kinda good coder, but we'll see. I'm gonna look into that for sure.

I like it for the Light spell that stops being visible over your head during combat. That shitty glowing sphere is very distracting if you play vanilla Gothic 2.

I think I never used Light in G2. Is there ever any need for it ? Maybe in the cave where one of the minig guys is supposed to be, but at this point I don't even go there.

If I remember it right, if you are carrying a torch and draw you weapon you will drop the torch on the ground giving you a small stationary radius of light. With the light spell you have a source of light that follows you even in combat. This was especially useful in G1 in those minecrawler caves.

Yes I know. My point is, where do you need the light in G2 ? Unless you play in the night or something… but I always prefer to just go to bed and wakeup in the morning. It's more usefull in G1 because there's more dark caves you need to explore.

There are a few small caves in the Mining Colony in G2. There is one in the quest where you need to find out how the mining expeditions were going and in one camp everybody was dead, the cave had no source of light and it was full of minecrawlers. You are right however, that 99% of the time you don't need torches/light spells.

You could try contacting the admin on that forum. Maybe you could collaborate or something if you want to do some shit with gothic multiplayer.

First I'd need to just download it and try hacking it on my own. I might know how to code, but I'm not familiar with Gothic Moding.

Another bug I just remembered now. If you don't want to learn stealth just walk backwards, no one will notice you lmao.

Holla Forums server when?

Did you even read the rest of my post?

For walking through walls, if you're gonna do it at least do it right.
c marvin c
Then press K to teleport yourself forward (through everything) (don't use it uphill).
For the ship, you can get on the rope tied on the harbour. Jump on it then walk slowly towards the ship, dodge the paladins, loot it then jump into the water.

Oh well.
Sandbox doesn't sound attractive.
Roleplaying even less so.

Character helper is fully in german, unfortunately.

Really???

Yes, really. At least in G2, but I'm 99% sure it will work in G1 too, why wouldn't it ?
As for the walls, I mentioned a method that doesn't require any cheats.
Speaking of bugs… you know that asshole from the Swamp Camp in G2, he asks you to find his amulet ? Well, he was in the castle. I went to find his amulet, but when I came back he wasn't there. I thought, well, he moved to that cave already, you're supposed to go with him anyway. But he's not there either.

Another fun fact. If you spawn a monster or NPC and walk away from him, he will be teleported to 0,0,0 coordinants. Usually you'd think that would be somewhere outside of the map, but in Gothic 2 it's the port in the city, in the mining map it's the castle. So if you ever wondered why random monsters have appeared in the port… yoi probably summoned some with cheats and forgot about them.

I made a quick webm to show the misterious cave full of dead people… This time I only had xardas in there. I know for a fact that the game hides characters somewhere in the map, but they shouldn't appear in a playable arena and it's pretty random who shows up there so… there must be a hidden place somewhere close and some npc bug out of it and fall in there ? I can't find the proper place for them, but I know where's one in the mining valey. I'll show that too.

I forgot to mention: requiem also makes magic damage scale with mana so e.g. magic arrow does 30 damage at 30 max mana but 40 damage at 135 max mana.

I saw the pc_itemfeller spawns near the cartographer in the harbour when I kill him.

No idea where he is, google it and see on forums what they say. He gets bugged pretty often tbh.

Anyone tried the Risen 3 real enhanced edition?
Apparently it fixes most of the stupid enemy behavoir and adds a shitton of fixes

Ayy… I recorded a video with the special cave in the mining valley and guess what. That asshole was there. When I ressurected him I could give him the amulet. Welp, I guess I won't finish this quest in this playthrough… not like it matters that much anyway.

BTW. You can reach that place without cheats if you fuck around the orc palisade enough to clip through it or something.

I came into this thread for this very reason, thanks user

Lol.
He probably died on his way out of the castle.
I usually only talk to him after I clear the outside of the castle.

Well, he's not really walking there. He should just teleport. Or maybe this one in cave is from the castle and a new one should appear near the cave with his amulet. This still boggles my mind. Why do they teleport old useless NPCs there instead of just deleting them. I can only imagine what someone thinks when he find this cave (in Khorinis) without knowing it.

More cool stuff

There are 2 cut monsters in G2:NOTR
You can summon them by this cheat
insert stonepuma , insert alligator , insert swarm

If you don't take the eye of Innos with you to Irdorath you can find it in one of the chests on the ship together with a note from Xardas about how stupid you are and next time he will personally execute you

the mud from G1 is in G2 as a zombie, only summonable by cheats. Same for the members of in Extremo (which don't show up even in G1 without using the story helper)

Orcs don't have running away animation, they will use the human one which as you might guess breaks their model quite a bit. It's mostly just a floating torso

Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 run on pretty much the same engine. Of course G2 is more advanced, but it's the same base as G1, similar to GTA 3 vs GTA VC vs GTA SA. I find it very interesting, because many things overlap ( I don't know how to explain this) and also it's very likely that the second game will have some stuff from the first even if it's not used. There's so many things I could list, I'll try a few

Frying raw meat is pretty common practive in G1, you can find a lot of fireplaces with a pan on it. In G2 I could only find ONE SPOT where this fireplace+pan appears, it's next to the door to the mining valey…. weird. In general I think G1 had way more stuff that you can interact with, although most of them are pretty useless. I believe it's because all NPCs are pretty much coded like the player (or more preciselly, player character is just another NPC) and maybe in G1 the player could do some of the stuff that only NPC should be able to do.

You can hide in a barrel in gothic 1. How cool is that ?

I also speculate that they planed to make khorinis a playable map in G1, or at least have another map. In G2 you can use the "secret" mining tunel to go to mining valey without fighting orcs. This tunel also exist in G1 with a gate in there, but if you clip through it it will load another map ! It's nothing, just black nothingness, but the fact that there's level map trigger is interesting to say the least… and that gate (I mean that 2D grille texture you can see in the castle for example) looks out of place. Instead of deleting the trigger or sealing the tunel they just put this gate there hmmm ?

I've downloaded Gothic 1 and the controls instantly set me back. Does the game have a tutorial for this or will I have to rough it out and figure them out myself?

Well, maybe I can help. First of all, go to options and select "alternative scheme" (I don't know the exact names, I only ever played gothic in polish) that will make you walk with WASD and turn with mouse.

Now here's the controls more or less

You draw your weapon with spacebar, but you can also press numbers, 1 for sword, 2 for bow and 3-0 for different skills. When you select a skill / weapon it will display a number, that means it's equiped and is avaiable under that number.

Think of the game like it has 2 modes. Normal one and action mode. When you hold LMB you're in the action mode. Now you can do stuff with WASD. Mostly W though. That's how you pick up stuff and talk with people. When you trade you also use A nd D buttons to move stuff from left to right. You need to hold the LMB too.

Also when you're fighting you can attack in 3 different ways, forward with W and on the sides A-D. The sides attack is probably the best, it's very fast if you time your attacks right, don't just spam attack buttons, press the attack button when the first one finishes and you'll get a nice combo. Ulternate between A - D buttons for fast side swings.

screen capped for when I feel the urge to play it

Most of these things are fixed in G2 (although it never bothered me in G1 in the first place) almost everything is done with just left mouse click, except for the combat. And thank fucking god for that. We all know how fucking boring the clik-2-win combat system from G3 is.

BTW, Another bug I remembered. Any NPC can trigger a map change, not just the player. You can easely see this in the old mine. Just shoot some people untill they run away to the mine exit and bum… suddenly the map is loading and you're outside.

I love betas / demos / old cut content and other similar stuff. There's lots of stuff in Gothic games that made me think, that devs had bigger plans or this is not finished.. they probably forgot to delete it. But I totally forgot about this demo. I knew it existed, but I didn't know it's so different from the original game.

You can only play in the old mine and you'll get a message that says this is the end of the demo, order the game when it comes out at day xx=xx=xx or something like this… But that's not all. There are 2 skills that seems to be removed from the final game. You can also replace the map file with the original map from the final game and it will work just fine. Most of the characters don't have any scripts, so you can't really talk with them, but there's one character from Gothic 2 named Canthar - That's the guy who gives you the papers so you can enter the town. There's also an extra animation when you come back to your human form after transformation.. starting on the knee and standing up terminator style.

Some of you might know that when you take control over ork you can equip a crossbow and there's even a proper animation… well, in this demo orcs actually use the crossbow !

Link to download here, but the whole game is in german worldofgothic.de/dl/download_84.htm

yea the cave of the dead is a thing for some reason. there is a reason of course, deleting a character with major connections to the main story could potentialy lead to all kinds of bugs and problems, while changing his coordinates is the easiest thing in the world.
you would be surprised how many games just change coordinates for something instead of deleting or spawning it.

Yeah, I thought about this, they probably have some kind of script that runs on all characters and if the character is not present it can't work… but I'm sure it would be easely fixable.

it would be fixable no doubt, but probably not quite as easy. if they started writing the code in a way that made deletion problematic fixing it later on would take a while to do. the game was pretty buggy on release anyways so they probably figured they should just focus on stuff that actualy doesnt work and not stuff thats just sloppy but functional.

Sure. I just wonder why do these people appear in the normal playable arena in Khorinis. At least in the mining valey they are hidden hehe.

Risen 1 was also a fucking terrible game.

I never played it. What's so bad about it ?

posting wallpapers i got with my TOTALLY LEGITIMATE copy of Gothic 2

I used to have original Gothic from magazine. All my games were from magazines or pirated (from friend of a friend of a friend… I didn't have internet until 2006)

I wonder if that's the reason I like the old games and outdated graphics never bothered me. I was always playing games that were already 2-5 years old.
Most of my mates would just dismiss a game because it's old. The first time I played duke nukem 3d in 2006 or so. Wow, everything is made out of 2d sprites, isn't that neat ? According to them it wasn't

On Khorinis, dead NPCs are on a plateau inside a mountain between the ruins with the Jarkhendar portal and the lake with the black troll.

what a shame I was hoping for some gun powder rpg

Usually right, left, right, forward for a kill, right?

For example in the catacombs near the farm with mercenaries.

You need to be strong like a horse

I personally find this site very useful.
pcgamingwiki.com , as has a page for the majority of games.
To be slightly more on topic, here Gothic's 2 page, pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Gothic_II .

And here's a wiki dedicated to gothic and arcania, it has articles about all characters, items, quests etc. It's all in polish though

pl.gothic.wikia.com/wiki/Gothic_i_ArcaniA

Not shure how much content is shared between them but here is a english version.
arcania.wikia.com/wiki/Arcania_Wiki

It's almost empty unfortunately.

Here are download links to gothic in polish. Probably all poles already played this game, but maybe someone will find it interesting to play the game in different language or something.

Gothic 1 :
mediafire.com/download/yertlao7a1pdba0/Gothic.rar

Gothic 2 + NOTR (NOTR is a separate ISO, so you can install vanilla or addon as you wish)

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:A0CD6E38E8B955060500FA6AD83A9D0D98E613F2&dn=Gothic%20II%20Noc%20Kruka%20PL&tr=http%3a%2f%2ftracker.torrenty.org%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.publicbt.com%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80&tr=udp%3a%2f%2f9.rarbg.com%3a2750%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ft1.pow7.com%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.torrentbay.to%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.prq.to%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.istole.it%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969%2fannounce

I've tried Risen 3
It's not even that bad
They got a lot of stuff right
They are so close to nailing it, yet so far

Upsetting.

Gothic 1:
Use forward attack when the enemy is at a medium distance.
Use left/right if he is very close to you.
Jump back if he's coming towards you with the move-attack swing.
Time your attacks in between his; observe his pattern. Some have a left-right-forward swing, some have a double-forward swing. After they combo you get a 1 second window when you can hit them.
Parry from time to time, time it right.

That's really interesting.

Pretty much everything.
Haven't played it till the end but I heard that the last 2 chapters are exclusively puzzles (that are boring apparently).
2H weapons become 1H with shield once you get 4-5 hours in and level swords/axes to 7.
So skill system is 1h with shield or left click spamming spells or arrows/bolts.
vid related

Vid related, it's a small smaple of Risen 1 shittery.

Holy fuck, OP, calm down.

but I am calm

Alright goys.

I found out a way to make music play in gothic 1 and 2.

Click play on linux, click on steam, click configure.
I don't know which ones are necessary but I installed
Happy gaming!

I've recorded a controls tutorial for Gothic 1. The video was supposed to be a bit longer, but I had to cut it in order to get size below 8mb

thats a bit harsh when you consider that witcher 2 combat was a demon souls wannabe that failed.
honestly though i liked the melee combat in risen 1 for the most part and i wish they had stuck with it for 2&3.
its basicly like gothic 2 but you can dodge. beeing able to block constantly instead of having it timing based and the lack of new animations when you improve your skill are major downsides, but overall it was functional and fun.
melee combat that is. magic is complete shit outside of a few utility spells that are cool but never get used in combat.

the only thing they got realy right in risen 1 is the world. it captures the atmosphere of the gothic series and exploring it is fun as hell.
everything else feels like a poor impersination of gothic 2.

Witcher 2 combat was closer to Batman than anything else. How the fuck can you even compare Witcher 2 with Demon souls of all things

Well here's a question for you. What other RPG would you recommend to a gothic fan like myself. I never played any RPG besides gothic 1 and 2 I believe. I want a game where it's not just mouse clicking, there's got to be some action, especially in combat. No level skalling

Yeah, risen 1 combat is ok but it's nothing fantastic.

Play Severance: Blade of Darkness, if you can stand the difficulty.
If you intend to play using OpenGL, use this mod:
moddb.com/games/severance-blade-of-darkness/addons/fogfix
Several maps would be a real pain in the ass otherwise.

One of four available characters, others are the barbarian, dwarf and amazon.

This looks pretty rad user, thanks.

I was so disappointed by that game I couldn't finish it.

because they literaly said they took inspiration from demon souls for the combat.

i liked risen 1 combat because different enemies attacked in different patterns that you could learn. ghouls for example were realy hard at the beginning, but when you know when do dodge and when to attack they are realy easy to defeat. its a bit like a rythm game witch reminded me alot of gothic 2.

Well, it was merely okay.

That is a nice easy to understand tutorial without any time wasted and you choose a catchy soundtrack.

Thanks. I wondered if it even works, because I can't play it (I had originaly made 7 min video showing a little bit more stuff, but the webm was 14 mb… I can play it, but this cut version doesn't work. The music is taken from Camelot - Camel Park. Embed related

I meant to reply to you obviously.

The last dungeon in gothic 1 is retarded, too many mobs for no reasons, and spells are underpowered, hope they have fixed that for the 2nd. I regret to have chosen a weak firemage instead of a simple 2 hands warrior.

Feels good

I almost always play as a 1 handed warrior, it's probably the easiest to build, but mage is really powerful. I didn't play G1 since 2 years or so, I started new playthrough yesterday and I intend on playing as a Mage this time, so we'll see.

G2 has fixed a lot of bugs and made the controls much easier (almost everything can be done with just one left-click, combat is the same) and the graphics were spiced up greatly. It's pretty much the same engine and the game came out only 2 years later, but the outdoor environment look amazing. Wind moves the trees and rain, there's tall grass etc.

It's also much harder than G1, especially if you play with the addon Night of The Raven. For example, in G1 you can learn using sword (level 1) for just 10 points and then 20 points to get the master level = 30 points. In G2 you need to invest 1 point for each % of your skill and the first and second "level" comes at 30 and 60 %, so you need at least 60 points. Moreover, when you learn for example the 1 handed sword above 30% and your 2 handed weapon is below that you will have to learn both at the same time, that is, you will have to spend 20 points to get 10% in your 1 handed weapon, but you will also get 10% on your 2 handed weapon. Stuff like strenght or DEX will also take 2 points after some point (60 I believe) so my advice is to not eat any items which give you those points and use them after you learn 90 points from people (that's the maximum) You can learn more than 100% with weapons with iitems, but it doesn't make any difference, so you do 100%

In NOTR skills require even more LP.

Also, another thing. In G2 you can create your own runes (that's actually the only way to get any besides very few ones hidden in some places) and you can't learn the magic circles with any character besides mage. Playing as a Mage is pretty cool in G2. Learn the circles and create your own runes and potions ! Just remember, that if you're mage then you'll need 2 points for 1 point of almost everything except for mana. If you play as a paladin or dragon hunter then it's reverse - mana takes 2 LP I didn't check if the "price" for learning those skills is the same when you don't have any guild yet. If that's the case, then learn some mana before joining a guild.

They were on to something with the sea monster battles in Risen 3, too bad it looks and plays like it were a undeveloped concept version

I second that, fucking halo

I will consider playing as a mage then!

Some random questions:

Do we get a mount or speed potions, whatever that can make you faster at an earlier stage in the 2nd? town portals? It was seriously lacking in the first game and I found myself spending more time traveling than doing quests.

Can we put down strong ennemies from the beginning? It's another detail that makes me dislike the 1st game a big. In Risen 1 you can have fun hunting strong ennemies, gothic 1 didnt allow that, they won't lose a single hp, it was really frustrating.

I didn't really have a problem with the points in the first game, the only challenge was to reach the 6th level, I really hope we can cast spell faster now.

As a feedback, I have experienced numerous bugs during my playthrough, but spend a few hours to manage to enter to the free mine, I was opening the mine before that the pnj tell me to and it was messing the game, with the cave completion. By using speed potions I broke a few times script events without noticing and had to reload the game earlier.

-Found about the fry pan bug after few hours without even reading a fucking playthrough, unlimited money from the start.

Another bug was that the few videos didnt play properly.

Except of that, good stuff!

You can get speed potions lasting 1,2 or 5 minutes depending on quality.
Also the expansion adds a few teleporters that allow you to travel the whole map in seconds. I often use cheats to have NPCs drink one for boring escort quests, running across the whole map with someone can become boring very quickly

Actually, they do lose at least 5 hp per swing, but I know what you mean. But, if you're dedicated, you can kill strong enemies from the beginning, or you just use a scroll of transformation into something strong and just kill it that way.

Gothic 2 feels a bit more generic than the first game due to the setting, but it still has a great atmosphere. Besides that, it's an improvement in every single way. NotR is also hard as fuck, especially the beginning can be a bit frustrating because you have no proper armor and don't do much damage.
But you can always buy a transformation scroll and genocide everything you meet

There's a lot of bugs for infinite money or stats, read the thread, I listed a bunch. To answer your questions…

1. There are speed potions and they last 5 minutes - unlike 60 seconds in G1 (then 2 minutes and 3 minutes in later chapters) There are also teleportation runes, you will get almost all of them in Chapter 2 and 3.

I think the combat is more or less the same in both games. Keep in mind, that you probably had the 10% crit chance for the whole game, in G2 you need to learn at lest 30% to get proper animation and 60% for the better one, so you will get those crits more often.

You can use scrolls even on level 1 if you have enough mana, runes are only for mages, except for the teleportation and light of course. As a Paladin you can also learn their special runes, but they are pretty useless.

G2 has less bugs, certainly less if any that will break your game like in G1. I know the doors to the old mine are fucked, it's better to not touch them, they should be open from the begining. G2 is overall a huge improvement over G1 and simply a better game. I personally have so much nostalgia for the G1 though.. this map and those quests BTW. You get to return to the mine valley in G2 too !

The frying pan is funny thing in G2. It's very common to find those in all camps and even outside, but in G2 I only ever found one !

BTW. If you want 2x speed (and it last the whole game, maybe reload resets it, not sure) there's a simple bug, it requires an item that is only in NOTR.

You need to find black ore. When you eat it it will give you slow mo, everything moves slower except you and the game accomplishes that by halving the speed of everyone except the player and then doubling it. So what you do is eat the black ore, then transform into something. When the black ore effects wears off you will get your speed doubled, since you're not "player"

Thanks for all the hints! The 2nd game should be an interesting open world then! I really dont know what to expect yet but it really sounds promising! Got to wait for a few months before playing though '_' I wonder if there's still cult members around.

Also more ladies plz, and more dialog with ladies '_'

there are few. You meet your main friends such as Diego, Lester etc… NOTR has even more characters from G1.

I can think of two frying pans in G2 right from the top of my head, one is at the pass to the valley, and another in a fisherman's hut at the harbor.
But who need the frying bug when you can just replicate smithing materials by drawing your weapon during the heat, grind or cooling animation?

That's the first time I've heard of this, I have to try this for myself next time I play the game.

Gothic 2 has quite a few women and even a brothel, but you still mostly interact with men.

As for the ladies, there's bunch of them. You're in a regular city, so there are civilians, both male and female. No female warriors though… unless you consider civilians with wooden sticks and farmers with sickle warriors.

I meant that one near the valley. but you're right, I remember one in the harbour too. I didn't want to use it for bugs but just to fry the damn meat. I almost never buy potions untill chapter 3 or 4 and rely on food and herbs.

Ice spells in Gothic II were like "you win" button, especially against Seekers. Add more powerful summons like the golem or demon and with enough mana potions you can defeat anyone.

Yeah I know. For some reason I very rarely use magic in Gothic. I'm a simple man, that's why I don't play those RPGs or Strategy games. Gimme a mouse, keyboard and a rocket launcher. That's my terrain.

And learning alchemy is definitely worth it, especially to a mage, for making all these bonus stat raising potions you wouldn't get otherwise. You can buy ingredients from several traders, including the witch in a hidden cave. Their stuff renews every chapter, so don't forget to buy everything you need before advancing the main plot.

And if you walk left right when the game starts you will be outside of Xardas talking range and you can play on Chapter 0.

What's with everyone saying that NotR is sooo much difficult? I had a blast playing it as a water mage, once I had more than 50 mana.

Well, I'm a RPG noob and it's a fact that it is harder than vanilla G2 or G1

Sagita?

I don't believe there's any other hidden witch in the game. She will ask for sun aloes (or something like that) for the alchemy lessons. You can find it where the black troll is.

Fuck. I totally forgot about this run. This is 101% of the game (I call it that, because it does all quests + some that would be impossible) of G1 in just about 3 hours. Part one in embeded, link to part2 in description

pretty sure the witch can teach you alchemy even if you arent a mage, so its always worth it.
and the cave isnt exactly hidden since a quest from some mercenary leads you there if i remember correctly.

if you played it without the expansion first you will get raped by everything you think you can take on without trouble.
but once you get used to it its actualy not that hard. and i always thought mage was the most overpowered class in the game. theres a reason its so hard to join them, once you have a bit of mana you can very quickly get spells that two hit an ork warrior. or just freeze everything and then take your time.

thats why i like playing mercenary best where you can only buy a few rolls of the realy powerfull spells and have to use them for maximum effect for example when you are vastly outnumbered or fight an enemy you shouldnt be taking on yet.

there are speed potions, but even better are transformation spells. as a snapper or even scavenger you are much faster than on foot and they cost very little and last as long as you want.
you can defeat enemies that are way to strong for you if you either play perfectly or use scrolls to give you an advantage. but since scrolls are a limited resource you should only use them when you realy gain something from it.

Thekla gives you this quest, she's the cook. Her stew gives 1+ STR, she will give you one bowl after this quest and I think every new chapter, so it's best to do it right away. I'm not sure if she gives you new stew every chapter, but when I killed 4 dragons in valley I could told her that I did that and she gave me another bowl

LOL
Did you mean Neverwinter Nights?

yes lmao. Last time i saw this cover was 5+ years ago.

pic related

Gothic 2 (both orig and notr) ending with a mage is a walk in the park.
Spoilers
You get fire rain spell which is instant cast aoe and kills almost everyone in 1 cast. The end consists mostly of 10 orcs camped together so it sucks for melee or ranged but for a mage you just summon a skeleton or demon to distract them then use fire rain twice, done everyone dead.

As I said, after playing g2 notr original or/then notr once, try the requiem mod. It makes it even harder (much, much harder).

By the way, a good trick in g2 is to invest up to 29 in a skill then use +5 to get to 34 (e.g. 34 strength) since it costs you 5 points to get to 30 or 34 but 10 to get to 35 or 39 respectively.

Holy shit even g2 looks better.

You can use cheats for speed pots.
Either insert itmi_pc_speedpot or whatever the code is (google it) for the speed potion item or you can "insert pc_itemfeller", type "kill" in cheats while facing him then loot him and he'll have 10 of everything on him so you can loot 10 speed pots this way (easier).

Also to fast travel you can loot the teleport runes off pc_itemfeller.
Or: use cheats (e.g. "goto waypoint bigfarm" teleports you to Onar's farm, "goto waypoint tarverne" to the tavern etc.).

Yes, you can beat strong opponents but you need uber skill.
You need to hit and dodge a master swordfighter as an untrained swordfighter without getting hit while hitting him 50 times but it's possible.

What?
You mean fire mage.

What's the RPG with the biggest number of sales?
Skyrim.
What's the RPG with the lowest difficulty in the history of video games?
Skyrim.
Compare 5 hours of skyrim with 5 hours of gothic 2 notr.

Nice!

It's just that a mage has more directions to invest his stat upgrades in, so alchemy is the most useful for him.

You can become an apprentice to Constantino in Khorinis.

It's NotR, you can become first a fire mage, then join water mages for more spells.

Really???

If Skyrim is too easy for you, turn the difficulty up.

Yeah, that'll solve it!

yea, but constantino is a complete fucking bitch. the mushrooms he pays you extra for permanently increase your mana when you eat lots of them. i think +5 mana per 50 mushrooms. and they are everywhere. and he even tells you that but only when youre halfways through the game and already sold him 100+ of the damned things. he is by far the worst master to choose.

Who cares about his character? I had more recipes and that is enough. You don't have to sell those mushrooms at all, and +10 mana is not that much for just one playthrough in your life. You don't need uber weapons as a mage to try smithing and benefits from hunting amount to more money, nothing more.

bosper is best. pays full price fo furs

Where else would you learn Ice Block and Ice Wave?

Gothic 1 was made by a small team of friends, who wanted to make a Game.

Once Gothic 1 was finished, part of those people left, because they got other jobs.

The people who stayed, hired some new guys, made Gothic 2&3 and Risen 1, after Risen 1 the people from the original team that made Gothic either left or changed position inside the Company to things that has nothing to do with active game development.

The people who made Risen2&3 were new developers hired by Piranha bytes and with the exception of the team leader, who was one of the originals that made Gothic 1, they will be making ELEX.

Because in Gothic 2 you can cook over any fireplace when you have a pan in your inventory, if I remember correctly.

You buy the empty runestone from the monastery then make the rune yourself?
I remember I used ice block in the original g2.

A shame, I didn't know the whole team left.
Tbh I don't understand why they kept the team after risen 2 and 3 pretty much failed and were universally hated.
I mean, at what point do they fire people for incompetence?

i choose him as master in the first playthrough, went through all the shit with him not wanting to hire anyone and then halfway through the game he tells me that all those mushrooms i sold him would have permanently improved my stats. hes a cunt.
also, your master is a way to make earn money and he only pays extra for mushrooms that you should better use yourself.
and im pretty sure you can get all the important recipies from other sources.

my nigga.

You are scum, you are dirt, you are wothless, you are trash.

Wow I played this shit like a thousand a time (maybe six) and only knew about the swimming in method. Im still getting suprised after all this year.

At least Risen 3 was better than 2, hopefully Elex will be another step into the right direction right q_q?, right?.

The morrowind audience, they wanted the morrowind audience, G3 released a few months after Oblivion. Why would thwy want that is beyond me.

I think the game was released so early that the company decided to abolish the fight system and just allow you to left click your way through the game.

At this point i have no hope left for the project. but who knows maybe doing something completely different will help them find their way again.

wait, there is no hope to be had?
not even a tiny bit

Still crying over those chat leaks?

Also this looks fucking great

The torrent isn't working. Is there an alternative?

Nice, Khorinis is almost a different place. Looks too modern to play tbh. I like the original too much to use the other texture packs.

I played all the gothic games and think gothic 3 is the best, fight me

you madman
I can't deal with the popups that stutter the game. The patch doesn't help much either. The quests in the towns feel copy and paste. After clearing a town from the orcs, it's filled with generic npc's that have nothing to say. They only thing likable in the game was the music and some parts of Nordmar.

I never went to the south, is it any good?

South is the best part of the game imo besides some select parts of nordmar, quests are much more varied and interesting than the generic collect 10 wolf pelts bullshit you get in the middle region, for example one of the towns is being overrun by undead, they attack in waves until you explore and find out they are being raised by an orc necromancer hiding in some spooky underground ruins.
Not gonna lie it's not a good game by any objective standards, I just really like the atmosphere, it's such a comfy game to just wander around in and appreciate the landscape.

Did you use the community patch and if yes which did you use all the changes they made?

I use the community patch, with alternative AI on because that seems to make humanoid enemies spam less attack and actually try to block and maneuver in fights, apparently it makes creatures spam less attacks but i haven't really noticed that being true.
I don't use the alternative balancing, gothic 3 combat is already a nightmare, unless you're masochistic you don't need to make it any harder than it already is, you're probably going to drop the difficulty to easy after your first encounter with any four legged mob
a tip for avoiding a lot of deaths: never try to fight an enemy downhill, you will get your shit pushed in, always fight uphill if you can. Also watch the fuck out for any kind of wolves, they are the true terror of the game, they have almost no cd on their attack animation and a pack can stunlock you from full hp to dead in seconds even when you're an avatar of a god in the endgame.

I remember killing some sort of drake when doing some underground exploration in the first zone for some reason he kept attacking some retard I had with me, but yeah getting raped by boars and wolves in the beginning still held true in Risen 1. I haven't gone really far into the game, I was just done with that Ork fortress where slaves are digging for artifacts and never went further due to losing my savefiles.

I don't remember if that was the setting that made getting skills harder, I was hesitant on that one because I wasn't willing to handicap myself if it was too harsh (like having to do some excissive min maxing) but still did not want to reach god mod status too quickly.

It worked for me about 2 weeks ago, I'm even still seeding.

Impossible.

Use
Gameplay in g3 is shit and so are the quests/story.
If quest from humans
That's it.

Btw I played most of gothic 1 this week (got to the ore mound with uriziel but stopped and uninstalled it since I got stuff to do).

It's pretty good tbh.
It starts out reeeeally boring and it gets piss easy (especially for a mage with destroy undead at circle 4) halfway through.

Also you never get problems with money since everyone ignores you if you lockpick their chests.
Also no one cares if you beat them up, they just say "looking for trouble with me again?" but then continue as if nothing happened.
Also you can beat people up in repeated rounds, e.g. raven you can hit him twice, then he downs you but he doesnt take your ore or your weapon so you can get up, hit him twice again and repeat until he dies and then take his weapon.

It's pretty stupid.

Combat looks like boring garbage. No wonder I stuck to turn based RPGs until Demon's Souls came out.

Risen 2 and 3 still made money, there wouldn't be a Elex if they were financial losses.

And some of the new developers share family names with members of the old team.

Neat, didn't realize we had a Gothic thread going. I've been replaying the series and I realized the fuckton amount of mods that are around now.

Played G1 with a mod called "Die Welt der Verurteilten" which improves textures and addresses some weird inconsistencies with old ones, adds some questlines, features like armor improvement and general bug fixes and weird logic problems with some quests NPC's. But I don't think there's a German version.

Then I moved onto Gothic 2. Velaya is an amazing mod where you play as one of the girls from G1 but in the G2 world. Fully voice acted (in German) but you can get it with English text. Completely new story that takes places after G2 finishes and the Hero leaves.

Right now I'm playing The Returning (but a German version called Die Rückkehr 1.12.9 Rebalance) because it's originally a Russian mod the current version of "The Returning" 2.1 is only translated to English and German with google translate. The rebalance version is missing a few of the features 2.1 has (but also changed things from the original other than translating) but it's not machine translated so all the dialogue is great.

It's the G2 story but heavily modified. It even has 2 new main guilds, Beliar mage guild and a return of the Sect Camp from G1. It also adds tons of sidequests, 3 minor guilds anyone can join (hunters, assassins, traders) and tons of features and general world changes.

I meant that I don't think there's an English version of that G1 mod.

Actually they didn't give a shit about the Elder Scrolls.

After Gothic 2 came out, Lord of the Rings got big and they wanted Gothic 3 to be the Lord of the Rings of video games.

In G2 you can't just beat up people like that. You will have to pay a fine if you're in the City or in the monastery and on the farm, without doing that no body will want to talk with you. Some people will be upste on you forever. G2 is overall much better and refined game, but I love the story and map of G1 so much.

Yeah, they might've made some money but it's not as if they got a big crowd or enthusiastic support or anything.

DA 2 failed but they're still releasing future DAs even though they didn't release financial information for DA:I (so it failed).

Combat is difficult and requires timing and precision and attention.
It's much better in g2 but in g1 it's still better than that of 90% of games out there.

Try out Mroczne Tajemnice (Dark Mysteries) mod for G1. It's like NOTR for G2. Info and link here

sage

So are these Gothic games still worth playing? I was too poor to get into pc gaming when I was young.

I have almost 100 posts in this thread praising the first 2 games, so in my opinion definitely yes. I'm playing G1 right now (5th chapter, gonna be done tomorrow probably)

Totally.
They sometimes have a 75% sale on steam, you could get g1+g2 gold for 5 $/£.

Start with g2 gold, it's better and its story doesn't need g1 at all to make sense.
G1 is more hardcore as in less dialogue and smaller map and gets piss easy after the first half of the game, though before that you can skip most combat by getting helpers.

Mod g2 after your first playthrough but play it normally the 1st time, then you can get the graphics mods or requiem (req makes it uber difficult and hardcore but includes the graphics).

Or you can buy it from gog or torrent it, there's a magnet link in this thread, ctrl f it.

Thanks for the responses guys. I read some of the stuff here but I assumed most of it was nostalgia. If it's still worth playing now then I'll be sure to pick it up when it's on sale.

Well, there's some nostalgia to it for sure, but as someone who doesn't play RPGs at all (almost exclusively FPS) I love G1 and G2. That can either mean that it's an excellent RPG that made someone from outside like it or it's very bad and even RPG noob likes it. Not sure which, but it's one of these games that I just play every few months.

Gothic 2 is just amazing. One of the thing that I really like about it is that the technology is outdated but NPCs are more detailed than in most modern rpgs, and the world building makes you feel like you are there. The music is amazing too. I don't know what to say about it, it's just awesome and also weird how not many people made games similar to it.

Now I have to play Gothic 3 with that community mod, I know it won't be as good but I hope it's still half as fun.

I wonder if my toaster PC can play G3, maybe I could try it with the community mod. I tried G3 once, but I hated it so much I uninstalled after one hour or so.

I know these sorts of pics, but is that actually your PC? Or is it another random image?

Anyway, if you do try gothic 3 get the GOG version since you just install it and don't have to do anything, it's patched to the last community mod already there, or so I've read.

That is the problem.

They don't care about the fans, as long as they sell enough copies and get to make the games that they want to make.

That's my PC. My friend works at some company that destroys confidential information like letters from banks etc. He got about 10 PCs from some office to destroy, he managed to bring me 3 of them. They have 1.8 Ghz Duo Core and some HD Radeon (6450 I think) It's funny how much faster this PC is than my first PC in 2003 (athlon XP 1.6 GHZ and GeForce 4) but most of the games work even slower. I installed windows XP on it and use it for older games. My laptop (which is not much better, but still faster) runs linux)

Dude, I thought you were kidding first. But that's just awesome. I always liked the idea of gathering all sorts of old PCs to install windows XP, 95, 7 on all of them and have them as backups if my main PC dies. It's just nostalgic as hell.

Anyway, I am pretty surprised when people shit on old PCs that don't have a 8GB video card and a twelve core 6 ghz cpu. People underestimate PCs, I finished GTA V at 60fps on high settings with what's considered a low to middle PC build. And my thinkpad t410 can run source engine games, and some amount of modern games on it at low settings.

I would say it depends on your CPU specs on how well gothic will run, so you should post your main PC specs then. Also, do you live in the attic? Cause that's comfy as fuck.

Oh and I forgot to say something, I'm not sure about letting your PC in the drawer. It has a very high chance that it will heat up, and if it catches fire near that wooden desk, you're basically fucked. Also parts need to be fixed so vibrations don't fuck the hard drive.

Well, I don't have any other options, it's been like this for 5 or so weeks now and everything is fine. I should stick a fan there, I will when I find one, it's not really a priority. I need to get Amiga first.

Nothing beats installing a game and hearing some sweet keygen music, glad CODEX and Reloaded still has that stuff.

Yeah I remember Reloaded had a remake of this intro (webm #1) in AssCreed 2. As for the previous one, it's not just a simple crack intro, it's from full demo called Obnoxious. But it's "first code" of HCL from 1991, so it doesn't have all hot routines possible nowadays or even just few years later. C64 can do so much it's mindblowing. (2 other webms are from 1993, but are one of my fav. )

And here's something from 2014

You also have that 2000+ keygen song music pack?

Holy shit, skimmed through it and this is fucking amazing. I need to listen to get the full thing. I don't know how these guys have so much talent.

The C64 scene is very alive and produces lots of demos and standalone music and graphics every year. In December we'll have another X-Party - The most elite C64 demo party, so I hope to see some new heavy weight entries. The demo you're watching now won the 2014 edition. Here's full video from the event

I'm simply gonna get everything form that retro demo scene channel, I could listen to this for hours while I draw.

If you just want the music there are music disks aswell, you might consider them full albums. It's just one program on 170 KB floppy with 20+ minutes of music.

I think I'm actually gonna get the actual videos instead since I don't know how well I can run the programs in the future, and I like to store stuff.

I just gave you link to such albums. I don't encourage you to emulate C64 for just music, as its sound chip (SID) is very hard to emulate and the real thing always sound better (all videos Ive posted are from real machine). BTW, what are you drawing ? I'm coding a game. If you'd want to help or just talk about bullshit you can add me on steam

steamcommunity.com/id/amigarules/

I'm drawing a silly animation so I see if my humor can get me some money or not (it probably won't), I'm drawing animations for my own game that I'm coding, and I am also still learning how to draw from various resources. I'll take a look at that link, thanks.

I have it on my seedbox and it's not downloading at all.

That's weird, I'm seeding it right now and I have currently 300 KB/s up on it. Did you link to the right post ? You linked to the polish version of gothic, if you mean those in english from GOG I didn't test them, so maybe they don't work.

I'm downloading the Polish version. It seems that rTorrent fails but Transmission is working so far. I wonder why this is. Anyways, nice to get to play this again.

I'm using uTorrent.

That's malware.

Or you just use a bow for everything non-humanoid. It works well enough to seem intentional

Gothic 3 is alright if you go in without expectations. Almost everything that made the previous games great isnt there, except for two things. The world and the musik. I must have spend about 150 hours exploring the world and it didnt get boring. Then i finished the main quest and was utterly disapointed. The point is, the game has some good qualities.

I'll be honest, that is a cool fucking setup.