Small games

What are some games (old and new) that have a small file size.

Other urls found in this thread:

prog21.dadgum.com/173.html
shmuplations.com/compilestg/
my.mixtape.moe/tcbmzr.nes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just imagine for a moment. If Super Mario Bros. was made today using modern sprite and development tools it would probably be over 20 MBs in size

Assembly is a hell of a drug.

super metroid G.O.A.T.
1.6 mb

Depends on the CRT and the connecter.

.kkrieger
~3x the size of Super Mario Bros.

Snakebird. Only a few megs in size, and available on Steam!

How the fuck does the whole universe fit into 1gb? I mean I know it's procedural generation but most of it is based on actual data.

Celestia is smaller than that.

Doom, It's ported even on fucking printers and calculators

It would be interesting if we could upload swfs on Holla Forums. There's always swfs of super mario bros and old zelda games out.

How can that be 96kb? wat the fug

I haven't tried it (or heard of it before), is it better than space engine?

1.) procedural generation
2.) taking advantage of modern GPU graphical API calls to do most of the work

So high, so far to fall.

I think it generates everything. Even textures and models.

wasn't the multiplayer only version of hl like 60mb or something like that? And together with cs it was still pretty small. Same with singleplayer only halo 1. I had those games on a usb stick.

It generates all it's art assets through it's algorithm and loads / unpacks them on the ram while it runs.

96kb filesize game, 4-8GB ram usage

File size is 96kb. RAM usage is ~390mb.

The game itself looks fucking awful, though.

If you are making anything more complex than an nes game it is unrealistic

Don't expect Holla Forums to understand programming.
Don't expect Holla Forums to understand.
Don't expect Holla Forums.

We used to be able to but it got axed a while ago, I wonder if codemonkey is working on it. sfw. threads were always loads of fun.

Here's the thing, though. Back then, hardware resources were fucking limited. You have to make every bit, every register count if you had a remotely ambitious game. If you didn't, the game was simply slow, impossible to create, or more expensive, because you had to put more hardware on the cartridge.

Assembly is great when you're very limited and need to interact with the hardware directly. As a consequence, it's very difficult to make portable code, because it only works on one architecture. Ever since 2003 or so, programming in general has been pushed to a "virtual machine" environment; you write your code as normal, it compiles to an optimized and intermediary assembly-like code, and the backend has the translation from that assembly to the specific machine architecture. It makes portability a lot easier, and why it's possible to say, write a game in Game Maker, publish it to HTML5, and play it in a web browser on Linux. (Even modern C++ now compiles to a VM, which was unheard of a decade ago)

The downside of course is that you don't have access to that underlying freedom of manipulating the hardware directly. However, since consumer electronics double in power roughly every 4-6 years or so, you don't need to. 99% of the time, if your game is shit, it's because you programmed it wrong with incorrect loops and expensive operations. You fix that bottleneck, and it runs like a dream. Of course, since modern PCs are so powerful, you don't really to optimize that much - just make sure you aren't a messy retard and shit's fine.

Bonus trivia: On one episode of Game Grumps, Grant Kirkhope, the composer of Rare's N64 games like Goldeneye 64 and Donkey Kong 64 was a guest star. He told a story that they were using normal N64s but there was a fatal, game-crashing bug they absolutely could not track down. But it only happened to N64s without the memory pak expansion. With the shipping deadline closing in and no answer, they did what they had to and shipped the game with the memory pak and took a loss.

Get fucked nigger.

There are a lot of 2 KB Atari 2600 games.

Today I learned something.

Sid Meier would disagree

DK64 wasn't it?

The whole thing of DK64's bug was well known way before the game grumps shit m8.

That's the first I'd heard of it. Still the guy was indirectly a childhood idol, it was nice to hear his stories fpr the 30m or so

On the other hand, old consoles often didn't let you interact directly with the graphics hardware. But, as a plus, this meant that your game didn't need to include any boiler-plate rendering code.

Sometimes, it meant that it didn't need to include any collision detection, either, because the graphics chip would report when a sprite overlapped another sprite, giving you pixel-by-pixel collision detection for, from your perspective, free.

prog21.dadgum.com/173.html

bait

Enjoy your transparency

OH WAIT

Looks like shit tbh.

EGA Bomb was like, 25kb iirc.
Sucked compared to Scorched Earth, but that's one of the smaller ones I remember.

kill yo self fam, like smh

doesn't look blurry to me

Bullshit. You could fit it under 2MB without much effort, as long as the sounds are synthesized like in the original.

SE is very small.
Most of that disk space is taken up by our solar system's textures.
The procedural planets and stars are generated with GLSL shaders, from a small bank of reusable textures. The downside is that you need a dick ton of VRAM to fit the generated data.
The real data you're talking about is just locations and parameters of stars and galaxies known to us. The rest are generated using a mathematical model.

I think you can upload swfs just fine still, they just don't play in-browser but you can download and play them locally.

Also, you can upload up to 10MB.

JAVAFAGS GET OUT
RRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

shmuplations.com/compilestg/

This game? 40MB, the absolute maximum you could have on the Wii Shop Channel (thanks Nintendo). Has similar visuals to Super Mario Galaxy for about 1/40th of the size.

For reference, Fast Racing League, the predecessor to Fast Racing NEO, was this size as well.

I don't believe you, man.

Fuck user you just stirred some deep nostalgia

my.mixtape.moe/tcbmzr.nes

How small are we talking, OP?
I don't think I have any on my computer right now smaller than 100 MB. I feel like such a casual.

it's not really the point to make fully playable games in such low size because that'd be impossible (or it wouldn't fit neatly at 96 kilobytes), they're for a show off at demoscene meetings and competitions

.kkrieger is open source now, so you can try your luck at making a full game out of it. mind that the dev tools used for .kkrieger might be extremely cryptic for you

On the subject of size, compression technology has come a pretty long way as well.
I wasn't expecting a ~2GB archive of Amiga disk images to balloon past 30GB.

Is there anything more to it than a title, a punchin' dude and a block that seems to swap through a lot of sprite chunks?