Today we're pleased to announce our new game

or even worse

Aren't people fucking tired of this shit? Do you guys still enjoy sidescrollers?

yeah dude i enjoy side-scrolling shumps because i don't have to rotate my screen if i want to play vertical scrolling shumps

I guess shmups are fine, they're not as prominent as platfromers

I'm tired of shitty ones, OP.
I'm not tired of an entire arbitrary genre, though. That would be silly.

No, I still play the early mario and castlevania games frequently. What do you play OP, third person shooters?

I wouldn't have a problem with them if there was some effort to make them better than something you'd see on Newgrounds. and no I'm not talking about graphics.

I'm not talking about the classics, I'm talking about new trash

wow that's a good comeback

Don't you know OP? Side-scrollers are coming back. AAA has been shoving open world schlock with nothing important to do down our throats for so long that now the gaming market craves focused linear gameplay where you actually do a lot of stuff that actually fucking matters.
Sidescrollers are the masters of said concept.

Are they?
I've yet to see anything interesting. As soon as you shove something down the audience throat and fill the market with one genre it's always gonna end up being trite and overdone, doesn't matter if it's open world or sidescrollers

Just seems really limiting

I enjoy good sidescrollers.

Good. Hopefully they'll bring back good pixel based sprites too.
Sidescrollers even do non-linear pretty well too.

Besides Mario, does this even exist? Also, I would hesitate to call Mario a AAA title, because it can be made on a kid's budget and is primarily targeted at children.

I guess Rayman would count.

Open world is nigh on impossible to do well though. Older successful "open world" games were actually more properly pseudo-open or quasi-open; There was lots of gating in them.

There certainly use to be A list sidescrollers.
Also AAA anything is cancer.

It's just a perspective. You may as well be tired of games being in third or first person. It's what you can do in the game and how it is built around it that counts.

Yes. Only because is overflown by shit doesn't mean I'll stop enjoying my favorite genre.
Now, if only I could get a decent Metroidvania since we haven't had one since Castlevania OoE, indies only make shitty Mario clones.

Yes, but most of them were just Ubisoft trying to be hip with the indie crowd.

people normally shit on an otherwise good game by tacking open world on it because of "muh freedumbs". Freedoms to do what? it's a game not a country, these are the listen and believe people who only think freedom is good because they've been told so, if they were raised as slaves they would be just as happy.

I enjoy good sidescrolling platformers but the last one I liked was Rayman Legends.