So is this a step in the right direction?

So is this a step in the right direction?

I'd say it'll semi-solve some indie shitters. The next thing to do is remove Greenlight.

Strikes me as another shit blanket solution so they don't actually have to investigate any of the individual reviewers who make a practice of it to inflate review scores.

Or just make the standards for passing Greenlight harder.

isn't the community the one who chooses ?

Better yet would be if they actually moderated Greenlight in any meaningful way.

Dubs speaketh the truth. Steaming pile of shit.

Is more choice really a bad thing though? Like they could just add a filter for "no greenlight games" showing up when you browse.

It's still propriety DRM

More filters might be okay. I just don't see Greenlight as salvageable. I do like that they're focusing on improving the review system though. I just wish people stopped doing shit meme reviews and put actual effort into their review.

Yup, I think the ones that get the most votes get to come on.

Basically either remove the system or just put something in place so that there's the chance for quality to increase.

wasn't the punch club guy crying about how everyone 'stole' the game by buying keys?

I don't understand the difference between Steam Purchasers and Key Activations.
I'm looking at reviews for Dead Rising specifically, and there's 158 purchases and only 15 activations.
The reviews in both categories all say the same things, and reviewers in both categories seem to have more than two hours of logged playtime.

So how do you have the game purchased and played for over two hours, thus being beyond refund cutoff, and yet still not be activated?

I like how the reviews are looking though.

Keys can be handed out by devs. Direct purchases show that the person used their own money to buy the game and were not influenced by the devs.

Oh, I was totally misinterpreting that. I figured that your key was generated and automatically activated the moment you bought a game on steam, but they're talking about third-party keys.
Makes more sense, in that case.

Devs do this a lot in order to inflate reviews. Sites like Inide Gala keep giving out keys so the game gets more popular so the devs hopefully get a purchase. All the games being given out are complete shit though. I've had only a few good games that I liked like Lovely Planet.

I always assumed third-party sites bought their keys and then resold them, but actually thinking about it for the first time, there's no way they could make a profit that way.
So they come straight from the developer, huh? That's dirty.

they probably makes some kind of deal with them like they'd buy 200 keys for the price of 100 key and resell them or they'd buy it from regions where the game is cheap but steam started fighting that with region locks.

So people who bought physical copies can't warn others?

Yes this is quite great anyway, devs can't just hand out keys to people for reviews anymore.

I'm sure it's pure coincidence, of course, that recent Zenimax games have almost as many keys redeemed as actually bought products.

(At least for me) Steam review scores are a thing that exist for the benefit of the potential customer. An additional source of information for people who aren't sure whether they want to buy a game or not. From their point of view, this update is a good thing as it increases the quality/trustworthiness of those scores, making it less likely of them getting fucked over. I've seen people cry about this already, saying that "Valve apparently doesn't value my review as much, just because I buy on Humble Bundle/etc." or similar things. It's true, they don't, but no one gives a shit about your review in the first place. It's very much a generation special snowflake-argument. Your review is your opinion, nothing more. The people who consider buying a game (and world by and large for that matter) don't care about your individual opinion. If you have a problem with your review scores not being taken into account (bear in mind that you can still post your reviews and people can still read them), that's not something you do for those people who actually need the information. It's something you do entirely for yourself, because apparently you believe that the entire world needs to have an extra shit to give, dedicated to your opinion.

Why? Because some people like bad games?
Does having bad games that you wont buy hurt the platform? Your "good" games are still there and more prominently displayed.

transparency regarding business practices is usually a step in the right direction.
disallowing cheating is always a step in the right direction.

i dont recall that, i stopped following the drama when the fucker decided to do that twitch thing.

still, being told that you matter less would suck if you took that kind of thing seriously.

It lowers standards and makes other indies follow in that same path. It's better to have a lot of average games and a few good ones than a lot of shit games and a few average ones.

Some of that could actually be resellers like GMG. They tend to have better prices. Not to mention keys given out for giveaways or included in promotional offers, like where they include one with a new video card or whatever.

That doesn't really matter as long as you can filter well enough. Its both a skill to learn and the platform should have tools to help you in that. Steam does have quite a few tools to help you easily select. Selecting from top sales generally starts throwing out the worst crap. Then you can check some reviews as well. If you aren't willing to go through that much effort before you spend money, than its really your fault. Most shit games can instantly be recognized from the icon anyway. Its not like you are forced to go through the entire list of games whenever you want to buy one. Learn to filter. There will always be shitty people earning money by selling shitty things, don't work to hard on blocking that. No need to be that restrictive.

It's not my fault if other devs however follow in similar steps. It doesn't matter if they fail, they all do the same mistakes. An oversaturated market is not good. It ends up losing market value as well.

Steam used to be more restrictive and there wasn't such a generally bad opinion on it. Complaints about DRM and the likes weren't nearly as common. I think it all started when Valve decided to let more people into the platform. Keep high standards is good user.

Unless they solve EA (by removing it) they're not doing anything worthwhile. Reviews have always and will always be shit no matter how you turn it.

I don't think steam being more restrictive will lead to a greater number of better games, most of these games also exist on other platforms, many don't go to greenlight until after existing for several months on another platform.

Shovelware has always existed, nothing about it or how it affects other games has changed at all thanks to greenlight, it just means some good games are now available on steam that might otherwise not be.

I guess it's just different market values. It's like how a city can handle it's different parts. Putting a mall and massive commercial business causes value of shops around it to plummet. While value will increase in places without it due to the lack of close by shops. Due to that, the shops end up being at their teeth and try their hardest to keep value and standards fairly high. I've experienced this a few times so I guess I just see it similarly with digital goods.

Steam reviews and game journos reviews are garbage. What you should do as a customer is take a few days to browse either here or go to halfchan and read up threads about the game. Once you learn how to properly filter the obvious shills and the contrarians, you'll get a really good picture of the quality of the game.

Two good examples of this are Age of Decadence and Underrail. AoD had a few threads with people lightly bashing the combat and the meta gameplay but no substantial praise for it. That means the game is at best above average. Underrail had people mention some build troubles but no significant bashing or praise, meaning the game was decent or good at best.

Shills just aren't talented enough to pass off shitty opinions since other anons will call them out on their bullshit and contrarians just spark discussion from which you can learn more about the game's faults and qualities. Sites where you can't have an open discussion don't allow for this kind of peer-review? model.

There is no problem with an oversaturated market. Sure some will crash and burn in it, but barely ever is it those that do provide good products.

Steam still has a pretty high opinion on most sites, we are just very salty about the paid mod shit here. People have also become more conscious about DRM because by now, people are starting to become unable to play some of their favorite games due to failing DRM. We are starting to notice the problems. And some developers have started to incorporate their DRM in different ways now anyway, for example only being able to connect to their servers with no easy way around them. And you know, less people in general usually means less complaints as well, even if the the percentage of people not complaining may have gone up (don't know if it did, but it could have). Steam also didn't have competition, so nobody knew it could be better. You don't complain about DRM until GOG comes along and shows you how much less painfull life is without DRM.

Steam reviews aren't that bad. Genuine problems with the game do tend to arise from the first 10 reviews you glimpse over (for example if it bugs a lot). And you can generally also use it to judge what most people like about the game and if you share that opinion.

In my opinion, nothing beats watching gameplay videos if you really want to know if a game will be good.

You also couldn't possibly visit chan threads if you weren't very familiar with chan culture and spot shills or really know the general opinion on the game. It is not a good solution for most people.

Punishes people who can find a bargain on a reseller. I'm not sure I trust the buyers remorse crowd to be anymore objective but it is a step in the right direction. I don't advocate the ban on reviews but the filtering is perfect.

Being an uninformed customer is not an excuse for making poor choices though. Though I'll grant you that most normalfags wouldn't know that you can get a pretty good idea of a game's quality from anonymous posters, especially considering the reputation of chan forums.

This. It's the same shit as Steam Guard. A minimal-effort solution which fucks over more innocent than guilty people, for a marginal benefit. Sound familiar?

I've never had problems with DRM since I've had a much bigger problem to deal with, hardware limitations. My old PC and my current laptop are outdated so I can't play that many new games. I've never experienced the problem due to struggling with something that can't be fixed by GoG or Steam.

Best part is Steam Guard did nothing but act as a fucking ball-and-chain for trading. It didn't stop hacking in games whatsoever, since they figured out near-instantaneously you can just use a burner phone or a throwaway phone number from a smartphone app to get around the phone restriction (all that really changed is that they were tying their dummy accounts to dummy phone numbers and then using WinAuth or something), and it didn't work for preventing trade scamming because if you want a trade to go through you'll be mashing "Confirm" as quickly as possible on your phone, so kids are still getting scammed.

Its not that, but how would a person new to chans, that just wants to know the popular opinion on a game even know how to spot a shill or see through some of the more subtle sarcasm?

Who does this fuck over and how? All they do is make it so you can select if you want to see just reviews from people who bought it on steam (so only people who certainly paid for their keys) or only those who got keys from somewhere else or all people. In what scenario does anybody get fucked over here? I am not saying its impossible, just that I don't see an obvious such scenario.

I do agree that steamguard isn't great, but its not mandatory either. I don't use it and I don't think I am missing anything due to it? And its pretty much the same solution every other platform with the same problem came up with.

Nailed it.

/thread

Reminder that Steam reviews are more important for devs/publishers than Metacritic nowadays.
Reminder that Metacritic is slowly dying while OpenCritic remains irelevant

The steamDRM hasn't ever given me any problems either. Nor has GOG, obviously. I do however have older games that no longer easily launch, and every now and then, I find that it is because of the DRM on it. Sometimes the DRM just expects things which no longer are the case. Hell, I no longer have a CD/DVD drive in my gaming PC, so the having to insert disk DRM is really annoying but generally easily fixed.

Once you have a platform with perhaps 50k reviews per day, you first and foremost want to make a blanket solution that helps with all of those reviews, only then do you really want to dive into specific reviews, if they are still a problem. Given how people now standard see just the reviews of games bought through steam, I would assume the problem of fake reviews from free keys is now mostly solved and there is no more need for further action.

And its steam, they hate anything they have to actively check. If they can design a system for it, they will. Same with their support as well as anything else.

Reminder that most non indie journos are quickly dying.

I've never used metacritic in my entire life.

I've seen some nasty DRM from 2002-3. There's always been annoying DRM. I kinda like the DRM in Gmod. It doesn't prevent singleplayer and instead the servers are DRM protected. I think devs should focus on that. If someone wants to pirate a game, they will do it. Denuvo won't exist forever.

There's also the thing where steam DRM isn't even mandatory. I own a few non-DRM games on steam. I don't really hate the platform or like it. My least favorite things on steam has got to be the community though.

Feels good

Plenty of normalfags did and still do though
Remember this gem?

does anybody?
anyone whos been playing video games all their life dont care so much about reviews these days because we have the luxury of gameplay footage. and normalfags arent going to go to some website because they buy things based off of hype.
i think the only reason it gets any attention at all is for the drama it can generate.

Well, it's a step in a direction. It's difficult to say if it's positive or not.

On one hand it limits the ability of developers to just toss out a shitload of keys to a marketing company and have them write puff pieces. On the other hand, it also limits the ability of people who bought a copy of the game somewhere that wasn't Steam. So if you're a smart consumer who shops around for the best prices or sales, then you're shit out of luck and can't review shit. So the review quality will skew towards fucktards who don't understand they can shop around.

I've hung around generally weird people and none of them use metacritic.

I'm glad gameplay videos are a standard. It helps me get a decent idea of how a game is.

metacritic has always been shit

With the default setting being to not include reviews from people who got their game with keys, people who legitimately paid for their copies from a third party and now find that for the majority of the userbase they basically don't exist.

Your ticket can and typically will sit in the void for upwards of six months with Steam Support, their support is legendarily bad and last I recall they haven't found a way to automate it.

Does it in an interesting way as well, it throws up an extremely specific error about audio latency or some such that's only displayed if you pirated the game. Loads of people out themselves on the forums because they bring up that issue to tech support not knowing it only appears if you pirated the game.

Another problem is that games funded through Kickstarter will generally distribute their game to backers via Steam keys. So if you back a real piece of shit, then you can't review it to warn others when it inevitably moves into the Early Access phase of money-grubbing.

Is it really a problem that the KS backers cannot warn you, if the Steam customers are going to? They can get refunds now, so it's not like they are losing money.

MY ARMY OF FANBOYS AND SHILLS WILL DO IT FOR ME

Anyone that does this has only themselves to blame.

I very much agree with you there. DRM was getting much worse before steam came. We were starting to see always online as well as limited number of activations become the scheme. Never mind a few times where the DRM was pretty much mallware. Steam DRM is pretty nice as far as most DRM is concerned, and seems to be good enough for many developers to not bother with anything else (I would still prefer no DRM, but most devs don't).

Well, yes, but is that a major issue? Obviously it could be a problem, but I don't see the scenario where those that got their keys somewhere else would have a vastly worse opinion of a game for a good reason than those who got their game through steam. The oposite is true and does happen, where a large number of reviews are overly positive from free game keys.

Its not like its impossible to check the reviews of people that got their key somewhere else, its just that you likely have no need to do so because those that bought on steam will likely be a nice semi-random sample. Is there any game you are thinking off where those that got their keys from something like G2A or whatever would review drastically differently?

On the support part, that is exactly what I meant. Valve really absolutely hates putting anybody behind a desk and making them read user stuff. They are a company of mainly technical people, and thus will always look for the technical solution to a problem. They would never decide they have to monitor reviews through a person checking them.

It's an issue since Steam ratings are based on the balance of reviews. So if it cuts off a huge section of raters who would have left a negative review it skews how the overall product review is displayed.

but doom 4 is genuinely good

Hello user! I don't think Todd is such a bad fellow myself. He has done many great things and worked on many great games such as Fallout 4. I'm sure you just need to see the honest reviews on the steam version and all the hard work we've done on the game!

Steam brought in cheaper games to my country so I'm okay with it. Forget virtually purchased licenses to own a game, a physical copy of Fallout 4 costs about 120 leva. That's probably not much to many but that's like spending 120 dollars on it. We generally get cheaper products but games can't get cheaper so sales is a saving grace.

You do realize that includes people who bought it from Kinguin or G2A too?

Fuckoff Todd

I recall Fez having a tidy sum of negative reviews from third-party keys (and even a few "got it for free" accounts) with a higher rate of glowing "10/10 indie game of the year" reviews from Steam-bought accounts, actually.

Valve's flat-management, meaning it's do-what-you-want. They don't answer support tickets in a reasonable timeframe because they don't want to.

what twitch thing? is the punch shit done by some shitskin?

Pretty much. If you know how to read into the comments properly, it's a goldmine for informing yourself about games. Unfiltered opinions are a very, very powerful tool.

when the game hit release time, there was a surprise where instead of releasing the game the developer said "twitch has to beat the game first". there was drama, people sabotaging the run, and then dev had himself a cry reminding people how terrible they are before releasing it normally. he may have been forced to release it i cant recall.
quite funny, but im sure im missing a ton of details.

So people who buy keys at a better price from third-party sites need not bother reviewing? Good to know.

I would assume they hire a thrid party for all their casual support needs. Most of them would only care about support for bugs, not for shit like refunds and the like.

Having just checked Fez, it indeed has a higher rating of negative (but its still mostly positive) in the activated keys section than in the steam purchase section. Although that might just mean a few reviews difference. The top reviews for both are equal, with both having just 1 negative in the top 10. The ratio of steam purchase reviews to key reviews likely also means that little would change if they were included (only 3% of the reviews is from activated keys).

I really doubt there are many circumstances in which it would really matter. With the exception of cheating by giving out free keys. Although I will see if I can find some more examples where steam purchase reviews come to a more positive rating that key activations.

It seems like its not counted at either the user review at the top and is not standard displayed, although if people care enough, they may chose to see if key activations give a different review. But thats unlikely.

If what you bought was a steam gift rather than a steam key, you likely would be included in the steam purchasers, so your review would be displayed standard and you would be counted in the thingy at the top.

That was a good idea if was done by a AAA game, like if kojima will ever ruse us all and do the 51missino upon dismantle all nukes.

An indie dev tho was badly handled, plus I remember he cried robbery because pirates had finished the game that can be easily be played with a similar type on flash site like armourgame and he didn't get the money

It's a start. Removing Greenlight and Early Access would be a good next step.

Early Access is, unfortunately, too lucrative for them to remove it, but Valve admitted Greenlight was a mistake.
If they didn't want to straight up remove it and bring back in-house QA, they could fix it by increasing the entry bar (it's at a really piddly amount right now because few people actually bother to vote, something like less than 2000) and retroactively review games that have low sales and remove them if they're shit.

They want to make buying a physical copy seem like a bad thing.

They want you to buy directly from their store so they get the maximum profit. Digital only serves to give more power to the publisher. The exchange of keys gave back some of the power to the consumer.

The old saying "one bad person ruins it for the rest" is rarely true. It is almost always used as a way to justify bad decisions and power play.

get on with the times grampa

You can activate your physical copy on steam with your CD Key.
Worked for me with some old games I wanted to use steam with since the original MP had died.
Battlefront II for exemple.

its not like you can no longer view "key activations". youre merely able to categorize and sate your curiosity.

i wanted to activate my copy of titan quest gold on steam. if you own it on steam you get the anniversary edition free. but it did not work out for me.

That's a valid concern, but you're not getting an inferior product by activating a key, your review just doesn't count towards the average. Few people make reviews in the first place anyway.
In the long run it means fewer people will buy games blindly since the review score is more reliable.

The worst part about Greenlight is that it's ruled by shit "devs" pushing trash onto greenlight but bribing votes by giving away free keys. It's an utter cesspool and there's no effort on Valve's part to fix it.

hold your horses there retard.

greenlight is a good concept that has brought out promising projects to the surface market, it just needs to be handled better.

if you want to go nuclear, you should have straight out said to remove steam altogether, since its a monopoly of DRM cuckoldry that has total control over PC gaming.

that ID is unreal

the halfchanners are here….

I don't get why you people care so much if physically bought/keys gotten from somewhere else are not standard included. There is no clear reason why the opinion of those that got keys from somewhere else than steam should have a different opinion on the game. The main exception being possible abuse by developers with fake reviews from their own keys. So preventing such abuse by not showing those reviews by default doesn't strike me as a major problem. I have also not yet seen a game where the steam purchase reviews weren't a much larger group of people than those from key activations, so its not like you are ignoring the majority of people either.

While I accept that this might be a marketing strategy to make buying through steam seem like the better option than things like buying a key or physical disk, I agree with >10697322 that it will most likely make the reviews more reliable rather than anything else.

That said, I am surprised that the key activations are generally less positive or equal of some of the games I checked. But in many cases they are also so small in number their inclusion is unlikely to change anything and sometimes a single review either positive or negative could change the rating.

This meme is on here for quite some time now, I still don't get it though.

Its not a freaking meme, its tor users. If you browse through tor, thats your ID.

Seeing as it seems to be working reasonably again, I probably should return to using it.

Hello fellow Redditor!

Reminder that it was Nathan Grayson who made a big enough stink for them to make the greenlight moderation completely lax.

They did.

What did Nathan do next?
He wrote an article bemoaning the lack of quality control.

This is why you kill people like this. You don't reason with them it's a waste of time every time.

What ?

Just like democracy, right?

Hello VALVe Ltd. employee. It is generally advised that you lurk before you post so you don't stick out like a sore thumb.

Pretty sure some of those pixels had plastic surgery.

Hello EA/GOG employee. Keep trying to make us look bad so that your platform looks better. Guess you are at least better than ubisoft who will suck up to our platform to get a game sold and then try to switch people over to theirs.

Sums up Valve pretty nicely.

Would you like the Jews in charge of Steam to get to decide instead?

you're my hero

They did before Greenlight and it was fine. Now there's no need to hire anyone to do it since it's automated.
Large companies are also exempt from the process if they got the money. If anything the current system is more jewish.

Pic not related?

It's true that there are cheating devs and individuals/organizations willing to shill your game on Steam in exchange for keys (or money and keys).

I'm an /agdg/ indie dev, this update dropped my game's review score to 66% (most sales were from bundles).

I've gotten a ton of emails offering positive reviews in exchange for gibsmedat when my game was first released. I imagine that every dev gets the same treatment. Hopefully this change will eliminate most of the cheating. Unfortunately this will most likely hurt my sales too.

Mixed feelings.

what game?
Also 66% means it's shit sorry

For sure, but reading steam reviews is something I do out of morbid curiosity more than anything.

I don't even have steam installed on my computer and won't be doing it again. Still, the reviews are probably some of the best comedy gold you can get your hands on.

shit game tbh

Someone explain this, because the way I'm reading this makes it sound like any copy not bought on steam won't be allowed to review.

That doesn't make sense to me at all.

One of the better solutions would be increasing the playtime requirements based on the game. If the game is only 2 hours long, then you don't need to play 10 hours to prove its shit… But if a game is touted as an unlimited sandbox, like Nu Male's Sky, then the people who barely put in an hour shouldn't be allowed to say "THIS GAME IS KEWL FUK DA HATERZ"

You know what? Put a goddamned character minimum on reviews and ban anyone who abuses the system. If you can't write 500 characters on a game, you don't deserve to influence the score.

Why would the reviews on your game from the bundles be better than those from normal steam sales? Unless you did give people keys in exchange for good reviews.

Not here to shill.

There are only 3 reviews in total
At least I earned back the Greenlight fee
You gotta start somewhere, right? Either way I'm making a new and much better game now.

are you really that ashamed of your game. wow

Where did I imply that? I made it just the way I wanted and am very satisfied. Wish it would sell better though.

Then post it here. I won't bully you. You at least finished something, unlike most anons on /agdg/ (which includes me).

Bypassing Steam Guard? Color me interested

They kwon everyone who do it.
They just want more money %30 more than only a steam key

While I wanna believe Valve does a lot of things for the money alone, this isn't one of them.

STILL USING STEAM
Fuck off already, no one cares.

Even if you don't use steam, there are some good reasons to care. It gives you a new way of checking if developers might be trying to inflate review scores. Which is pretty nice.

is this meta bait?

Haydee is trash. If that robot had no ass you wouldn't want the game. It's a great example of why greenlight is shit.

Man, kikes are really here.

ACTIVATE THE STEAMDRONES

Oh fuck. I just got baited. I don't even usually stare at flags since it's just shitposting.

but it has ass

I'm just interested in seeing if Valve can improve some issues in Steam. I'd love an update that gives you more profile features. And if we take Holla Forums-looking user's POV, wouldn't any corporation be evil? Same applies to factories. Just go live a farmer's life if you want to avoid this kind of thing. A lot of people make fun of Africans but the tribal people there seem truly happy. No technology or politics, just work, party and pray to the spirits. I sometimes think that anons never thought of that when they seem to bicker over a lot of things.

Oh man, so how close do you identify with your Facebook profile? What steam level are you? what is your background? Oh man, look at all those achievements and badges. You have such a high social media statues. I am so jealous.

KILL YOURSELF NIGGER FAGGOT

Contact THQ Nordic. They're pretty based, maybe they hook you up?

GEE IT'S ALMOST LIKE THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. CD KEY ACTIVATION MEANS NO FUCKING REVIEWS

The only thing likely better about tribal life is that the stress you deal with tends to have a tangiable solution. If you need food and you hunt and you catch something, you solved your problem, at least for a while. In todays society, our stress often comes from something that doesn't really get solved. If you have to perform at work, that doesn't really ever stop. And the worry of not having food or dying from some other shit is likely just too large to let many other things worry you.

Hapiness is something you can learn anyway. It just requires some effort and nobody ever tought you it, they found math and shit to be more important (likely is more important to your survival).

Also, I am not anti corporations, I am very much a (limited) capitalist at hearth and accept the existance of corporations. There are just two things I want to change and thats political influence of corporations on issues that should be more about society as a whole than just them and intellectual property (which, other than trademarks should not exist and is purely evil).

Did I ever mention that in the thread user? I'm saying things like being given more sort options for your profile. A lot of the features from Enhanced Steam would be nice.

And I'm a nobody with a 0 social status like I'd assume a lot of people on Holla Forums. Like I said, a tribal life might be better if you hate corporations. I'm saying it honestly, they seem very happy.

And user, I was addressing on the corporation bit. I think there needs to be first very specific people allowed into government, even less than what is acceptable these days. And second is to limit the political control on outside sources quite a bit, whether it's corporations or people themselves. You're voting so that the people within the political party are there to change shit, not so that some random purple haired twat can yell about injustice to other purple haired twats. That's my view on how to solve some current unsolvable issues at any rate. Doing so in practice would be extremely tough though.

I'm back to physical since game sizes uselessly inflated tenfold from 2014.
And I'm the guy who pirated CD-ROM ISOs over 56K dialup.

The Division came on five fucking DVD9 discs. FIVE.

Though, I must admit fitting five DVDs in a single-width case was a feat.

By the way, zuckberg is a cunt

worth a shot, dont know why i didnt sooner.

Say what you want but democracy is the most successful system of government in history. Theocrats, communists and all other Orwellian faggots need to kill themselves.

They seem to be afraid of Bluray discs, because the pinnacle of technology - Apple Macs - never adopted them.
PC master race can consider their self lucky that it's not 75 CD-ROMs.

Are you saying that your review won't go through if you bought a game through retail? IE Walmart, fucking game stop, etc. because if that's the case then that is kind of troubling. Some location become over stocked and sell some pc games really cheap. And if a game turns out to be bad and i bought it through retail, then with this update, I can't review it on steam. And since most retail versions of pc games just give you a key, you see where I'm getting at right?

But if it doesn't affect retail, then disregard this post.

Admittedly Blu-Ray drive attachment rate on desktops is pretty dismal. Not to mention having to fork over money to Sony for the license to press them.

retail games tend to connect to steam by providing a key, no? in those cases the review would be tagged as a key activation review rather than a steam purchase review unless things are not as they seem.

How else are you going to active a game you have bought on Steam but with a key? The only other method I'm aware of is someone gifting you a game.

I think this will be useful, especially if the "bought on Steam" and "key activation" reviews vary wildly in their scoring of the game.

yeah fuck no.
The most visible views will always be the positive ones regardless of ratio unless you deliberately filter them out. Tyranny of the default and all that.
They're just posturing themselves as being good inbetween bouts of pushing how far they can squeeze their drones.

I remember that thread, shitloads of shills were trying to advertise the game even though it was just some shitty "platformer FPS".

Step in the wrong direction.

If you buy retail it's counts as a key activation. In the UK it's cheaper to buy in Game then on steam direct. Same in most of Europe.

Buy game in bundle pay $1 suprised it's OK give positive review, buy on steam pay $14.99 release it's indie shit not worth that leave negative review.

He has a poor review on steam cause he charges to much on steam for his game.

Developers can get as many free keys of their own game as they want, so many developers make alts with the keys and use the alts to spam positive reviews of their game.

Of course it does, but why would those people be giving the game significantly higher reviews than people who bought it on Steam? The answer is because those people are mixed in with developer shills.

10/10

The game was honestly fucking trash, it spawned some porn and I've heard absolutely nothing about it since.

What if key activation was seperated by bundle and by activation via CD key?