Best portable for games

What's the best portable on the market, or coming up that's not the Vita or 3DS? Do any of you own one and recommend it?

Does the Pyra have any chance of being good when the Pandora was just an okay concept at best?

How's the GPD Win coming along?

Other urls found in this thread:

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8750-win-10-os-game-console-laptop#/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anything that isn't those lol

None.

N3DS.

A smartphone, preferably a big one like the Samsung Note or Nexus 6P. Can emulate any handheld from the DS/PSP down and some home consoles as well and in addition to that there are some good japanese mobile games if you're into cute anime girls.

For real men only.

I have one user. It's the only way I can play NTSC right now anyway.

Think the audio's fucked on mine though.

For Nintendo games, it's good. Try emulating anything else and it shits the bed often. Maybe soon.

Best examples off the top of my head.

Means having a controller connected to your phone at any time to play shit user.

I was pretty shocked at how shitty the DS is. Considering the way nintendo keeps all its IPs hostage on this piece of shit mobile platform I thought it'd at least be a GOOD mobile platform. The backlighting is too weak to see anything on a cloudy day, the battery life is a whopping two hours. The speakers don't go loud enough to be able to hear it over the sounds of the suburbs and city. This thing is a piece of trash. Fucking gooks.

OH MY GOD
WHO THE FUCK CARES

indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-win-intel-z8750-win-10-os-game-console-laptop#/

A tiny laptop you balance on one leg. Follow the path of the flamingo, brother.

This Chinese piece of shit when it comes out.

I was going to get a dragonbox, but then I realized I'm over 20 years old and have no need for a portable gaming device unless I want to get fired from my job when caught playing it, and when I'm at home I can just play emus on my pc.

I also realized I could definitely save 500 dollaridoos in my bank account or try my hand in the stock market with some blue chips, for the dividends, or OTC pink slips stocks if I think they have potential.

You guys know what I mean right? I think everyone here knows to make a good adult decision versus a foolish and childish one. One that would cost them a lot of money for something they'd barely use due to all the adult things they need to spend on and do like bills and work. Holla Forums is the right place for guys like us.

I like handhelds because I like to stick myself in small confined spaces wrapped in a blanket surrounded by pillows in a closet. Especially during the winter time because it's warm and cozy.

That actually does sound fun user. I just wear pajama bottoms/sweatpants and wool socks with a t-shirt(because some reason I'm never really cold there) while I play on my consoles or really do anything. Almost the same as getting /comfy/ under the blankets but more portable.

If you're outside of the house you shouldn't be playing video games.

I disagree.

I'm very interested in this as well, seeing how powerful small form factor SoCs are nowadays.

The Pyra is overpriced, but its biggest flaw is its architecture, unless you're just looking for a portable emulator machine.

The GPD is slated for release this October, afaik. Local prices differ greatly from the suggested 330$.

The Smach Z is probably your best bet for now. I'll see what they come up with for the kickstarter; my biggest concern is the lack of info regarding Merlin Falcon, but it'll probably be well above the x7's 153 GFLOPs. If only the thing weren't that ugly.

There's also the PGS, I guess, but that thing just looks like a big scam.

What's the point if you're getting glare most of the time? Unless its nighttime.

Wear sunglasses.

It's bound to be a scam. The Smach is actually a real thing? I thought it was a meme in all honesty. Only remembered it when grabbed images to post with the thread.

no it does what it's intended to, to play shitty games at 30fps on the go

Spoiler'd due to the graphic nature of this image.

nice shitpost.

Seriously, I've had similar thoughts about buying the Pyra. I have a cheap as fuck laptop with 8-10 hours of web browsing battery life, and it only dips to about 5-6 when I play something like Sky Rogue.

I've only heard about half of these things, guess it's time to do research. The most unfortunate thing to me about the Pyra, other than the price, is the architecture. As much as everyone will complain, having x86 support makes lots of other things available, including WINE.

Reminder me of this.

They've shown a prototype at Gamescom. From the looks of it, it's a big ugly piece of plastic.
299$ for 64GB SSD/4GB RAM/PF. 499$ gets you 128/8/MF/4G. Both come with a 5"FHD screen and mSD reader (and WiFi, duh).

Forgot the video.

It really doesn't look pleasant. Also not a fan of that haptic shit either.

I do worry that the NX might be more powerful which is why I'm waiting for the NX announcement before doing anything.

it's a prototype, even if it is that big and ugly, it's a good sacrifice, especially if it's upgradable.

You'd hope so. Even the fucking Pyra is capable of this.

Sure, two hours was an exaggeration, but it's still shockingly short. Especially if you crank up the backlighting so you can actually see anything at a time of day after three in the morning but before nine at night.

that's what the video I linked here
claims

It's using an embedded solution, those aren't upgradable by design, unless they're doing something new with the specification like Fairphone did.

Mind explaining what Click ARM is? since that's what they claim is gonna make the machine upgradable.

How about no way. Here's a formula for a kickass do-it-yourself handheld:

* any decent tablet — $60~$200 (lots of options here)
* iPega 9023 gamepad — $25
* 64GB micro SD card — $15
* various emulators — free
* various fullsets — free

Get a psp or psp go
Crack it
Shit so cash

what do you need mobile shit for? Unless you have a job there's no reason to go outside

RPGs and other turn based games:
Smartphone

Anything else:
Smartphone + Gamepad
PSP

Notable Mentions:
Laptop
Playstation Vita (if CFW becomes more prominent in the future)

Nvidia Shield
JXD Gaming Tablet
PSP or 2DS, maybe PS Vita too if a better hacking/jailbreaking solution is found and the homebrew scene takes off
Pandora or Pyre
GP2X or Dingoo

Don't bother trying to get a Bluetooth controller for an Android phone or tablet, it might be better than shitty touch screen controls but they're despicably overpriced and laughable in quality.

get on my level pleb

It's always going to be the console with the strongest specs once it gets emulation support.

So you've never even touched it?

Outdated and terribly underpowered by modern standards. Ditto about the Caanoo. But, pic related, there's the one that's been called their "spiritual successor", the GCW Zero.

Don't make this mistake. Their quality control is well-known shit. You can find lots of complaints about it.

I'd totally carry all that shit around everywhere.

just get a bag or something.

I already have a bag. It's where I used to carry my JXD, which now doesn't work quite right (told you about the shit quality control). Just waiting for my new tablet to arrive.

PSP
Easily the amongst the portables of our time.
If they had better analogue nub placement, it could have been the best handheld of our generation.

If they could ever get video out, it'd be fine. Still a bit underpowered by today's standards but definitely way better than anything from GPH or Dingoo. Kinda moot though since there's not a lot I want to play on the go beyond arcade games, which the Wiz is perfect for. Though I'd prefer a Caanoo or a Zero for the bigger screen size.

Yeah! I wonder what it's 2020 release library will be.

So when I was young my parents got me a gamecom instead of a gameboy.
But now everyone seems hell bent on building a "handheld pc" and everytime my sides nearly end up in space from laughing so hard at the tards. Each time it is a team of people that have never touched a soldering iron and wouldn't know thermodynamics if it hit them in the face. Every single product fails for the same reasons, poor pipelinging optimization leading to bottle-necking. Forgetting that heat has to go somewhere and no one likes holding an object at 60 Celsius. Favorite failure of a similar kind was the Oyua. I almost got on the bandwagon until my boss said they have no hardware engineers and are spending almost x3 what they should be on parts. Then when it does release it still had hardware issues ontop of shit software and shit UI. They had like fucking 10 software devs and still created shit.

Come the fuck on. And you could do better than those nubs and save space.

I really loved my GP2x, I had the F200 model, always wanted that rad cradle that's probably rare as fuck now.

Recharging AA batteries all the time was a bitch though

Just get a 3ds and a PSP and homebrew them.
3ds plays 3ds, ds, GBA, SNES, NES and Gameboy games, and the PSP plays all the PSP games and PS1 games.
If you don't fuck up it'll only set you back 200-250 smackaroos.

BAD choices. The PSP is old, has no worthwhile games, and has the wrong screen resolution for emulating PS1 games. NEW 3DS is ok for VC SNES and that's about it. Don't buy one just for emulation or you will be disappointed.

Is there really a good point in buying handheld PC?
You will be able to play very limited games on it which would be nice.

But at the same time you have your phone, which currently have quite decent library of ports. Including many Final Fantasy games, Knights of the Old Republic, GTA, on top of other games made for 5minutes of play specifically on phone.
It easily fulfil my requests of playing on the go and in the bed.

Controller is definitely nice but really controlling schemes are quite good.

Generally problem is touchscreen is shit when it comes to emulating buttons. Turn and slow games are fine but really trying to play platformers other than Kirby is shit. However there are things touchscreens does well.

Touchscreen is not shit, it is just different from button based controllers.

I almost got a cradle years ago, too bad people were already charging an arm and a leg. My F100 has served me well, despite eating batteries though. I wanted an F200 for the touch screen but since there were basically none by that time, I settled for what I had. I just wish the Wiz wasn't so small. Learned how to compile BennuGD stuff for it.

The PSP may be old, but it does not have no worthwhile games and natively supports some PS1 games and more with homebrew, I'd reccomend a vita if you can get one in the right firmware range and for fuckcheap, but that's not nearly as common and memory sticks fucking suck for the vita, so PSP it is.

What is this GP32x.com?

Hardware engineering is hard.
Most of the knowledge is gone in the West.

*10 years ago

i have a GPD XD. its probably the best gaming purchase ive made. GTA SA is on sale on the play store for 3 dollars so i grabbed that GTA CW and max payne. they all play really well. but i hear that GPD is making the XD2 so you should wait for that if you get one.

You know you're missing out on high res ps1 emulation that a cheap phone can do now, right?

god fucking damnit. the name is fucking "GPD XD".

Not an argument.

Pokemon XD is my favorite gamecube game.

PSP.

Have the makers said anything about fixing the controls? Many complained about tiny shallow dpad and mushy buttons so I didn't bother with it.

Sour grapes.

I have a JXD tablet for this. Only thing is it's fragile as hell. Need to send it in for repairs. Runs up to PS1 games without major problems. I beat Spyro 1 and 2 as well as Tekken 3 and Crash 1-3 on it.

the dpad and buttons were fine for me, yeah they were mushy, but they work fine. depends on if you like your dpad clicky or mushy. but in my experience you cant play fighting games on the dpad. i think the XD2 is gonna have a bigger dpad.

I emulated a few games on my phone and it felt cheap and boring. Mobile devices are worst way to play retro games in my opinion.

Because you need pic related.