Retro general

recomment good old stuf.

everything is welcomed, from NES to MSX to PC or what ever weird fucked up handheld existed back in time when vidya was great. A time where a Gamer needed great skills to finish what he has begun.

A time when Korea was only kind of fucked, and they made officially sanctioned handhelds that only kind of sucked and still manage to violate the GPL. But playing arcade games on that fucker was fun.

Only old game I enjoyed recently was Magical Pop'n. Fun as fuck. Mainly delving through the PS2 library thanks to ESR now.

Do want to get around to Live A Live at one point.

Wiz means pee, user.

Duke Nukem 3D

Do not buy Duke Nukem 3D: Guitar Hero World Tour

There's gonna be one here that does user.
I need to continue this soon on the Saturn.

Tell that to Worst Korea. I doubt they'll even acknowledge that thing or it's predecessor.

Burning discs is for chumps, HDDs are where it's at. Seriously, if you can help it, invest in a HDD for it, it was great for Tales of the Abyss load times.

Live A Live is really nice, one of my favorite JRPGs.

I intend to when I get the money. I'm just doing ESR since have the DVDs on hand to play with. Seems like it's a pain to install games via PC instead of ripping to HDD like XBOX though.

It's on my list of shit to play. Have Front Mission and Famicom Detective Club 2 as well, it's just getting to them.

FMCB should come with a tool to rip straight to your HDD, I've used it once or twice. It's far less convenient and reliable than the HUEG's DVD ripping tool, though.

Haven't played, but I've heard good things about the series.
I don't know anything about this game, but now I'm interested. Going to look it up.

I have yet to successfully boot a burned PS2 game, but I am hindered by my lack of fucks to give on playing PS2 games.

Hell, I have a PSIO sitting on my desk that I haven't bothered to install yet.

A few MSX / MSX2 recommendations

Might try, but all I know is just install ISOs with Toxic for best method. Still pain in the ass, but OPL sounds like its worth it. Might even get MGS3 online back up since custom shit.

Front Mission is fun. Don't play it on a PAL screen on an SD2SNES, unless can put up with random black flashes during shit.

Famicom works completely fine, it's like Policenauts without the shooting, or as far as I've played anyway.

I need to get one of them soon, shit seems great.

If anyone has a download of MAME with roms compatible with that specific version, I would be pleased as punch since all these years I have been totally unable to get it running properly.

Faxanadu was a good late 1980s adventure game if you like that genre.

Behold: The VIC-20 port of Donkey Kong. One of the first games I have vivid memories of playing, and still as fun as it was over 30 years ago.
It's a full port of the arcade game (it even has the cut scenes), despite the VIC-20's anemic hardware. It plays much faster, though.

Faxanadu is labyrinthine trash if you like video games. It's pretty, and controls well enough, but it didn't feel fun to me.

Finally beat Castlevania 1, no deaths. Even did the Axe Knight hall without Holy Water. Feels good to achieve mastery.

Front Mission's DS port is legit as hell. Play that instead.

It also includes the second campaign from the PS1 version, with absolutely 0 graphical changes.

bump

Has a DS port? Fuck. Might consider it then.

What are some essential retro mech games?

Metal warriors on snes
Musha on genesis
armored core on ps1
that's all I can think of off the top of my head and they are all great games

Post your retro collections lads
Rules Nothing made after 1996

All the major ROM sites should have compatible ROMsets bro. And I believe the latest MAME supports ROM sets from at least a few versions back

What kind of displays y'all niggas using? Sony BVM D14H5U here

I've actually been thinking about picking up a CRT recently. Any suggestions?

Nothing beats killing off Death with no weapon multipliers. Except maybe beating him leather whip only.

Sony BVM. Setting it up costs a penny or two more than you might expect, but my god are the results worth it. Set it up with SCART to BNCs, make sure you're getting the right cables for your systems, make sure it's got the analog rgb/ypbpr board, and ebay away. Get a bunch of 75 ohm terminators too (get more than you think you need.)

There's currently a BVM 14G5U (14" BVM) on ebay with the necessary boards pre-installed going for about 200+shipping (Varies depending on where you are.)

You will be spending quite a bit more than you would normally, but you are seriously getting the best picture possible.

I only have a 30 Inch Sony Trinitron, have my SNES and N64 hooked up on S-Video, and my Playstation family hooked up on Component. It's a start, at least.