Achievements

Is this the biggest asspull in the history of gaming?
The most blatant yet most succesfull attempt at manipulating consumers?

Achievements and gamerscores are literally nothing. It's pointless numbers and little goldstars to keep you engaged.
It's not unlike the little stars preschoolers and retards get from their Teachers simply for trying.

Like a score or rank after a level is completed?

#rekt

Why exactly does this bother you? This is actually less intrusive than having a highscore system because you don't have to base your entire game around achievements. You can just dole them out as you like.
They are also used for stat tracking on how many people did a certain thing.

>>>/reddit/

Ignore them or turn them off.

When they're done for actual challenges (get through an optional stealth section without getting caught), then I get it.

If it's a challenge already in the game, or shit like "you got this far in the game"- who gives a fuck?

Not to mention while you could use the progress achievements to see how far people who played the game got, it doesn't tell you out of them, how many are actually people who are the target audience of your game, and wanted to complete it.
Why do you care if the guy who bought it on a whim didn't beat it? Surely it's more important to know why the guy who wanted your title suddenly dropped it.

I like achievements. They give me something to do after I've beaten the game and it gave me more incentive to beat the game on a harder difficulty. I play the game automatically now, but I used to not until achievments became a thing.
But their only good if they are actually ACHIEVMENTS and not lol congrats on walking 5m
I got every single achievment on ODST

Click the spoiler. It's you right now.

Oh go fuck yourself.

At the end of the day, the only people who care about scores/ranks or achievements are autists, speedrunners and completionists.

normalfags don't care, Holla Forums faggots with a lot of backlogs won't probably care too

lurk more or >>>/out/

Sorry I don't try as hard as you do to fit in.

I still think you should stop acting like a complete retard though.

Your argument is shit.

so this is what eternal summer is like.

I'm not sure how most normal achievements are manipulating consumers in any meaningful way. The only thing the creators care about (and thus want to manipulate you in) is selling the game, you get achievements after buying it, and I doubt anyone buys a game for the achievements.

Couldn't you unlock shit using achievements on the 360 for those shitty avatars or something? That'd mean your argument is shit.

Lol are you gay or something kid?

False equivalence, friendo. Often, the high score is a direct result of your personal performance in a match/level, whereas Achievements are more akin to being a courier or some shit. Go to a place, do x thing, get a little sticker that says you did it. This is an oversimplification of both concepts, because there are caveats and exceptions to both, but the point still remains. Generally speaking, if you got a high score, you played well enough to earn it. With achievements, you completed an arbitrary task and got your boy scout badge for it.

Extremely insecure manlet detected.

I wish people got b& achievement more often…

Reddit is here forever aren't they?

It's a good method of collecting statistical data for developers, in order to produce next time a cheaper, better polished turd.

*cheaper → more cheaply made
To make it cheaper it would defeat the purpose.

you can thank HW for that.

#triggered

As long as they're ingame achievements and you can get some cool unlocks for them I'm all for it. But if it's just some shit you get for something would be doing anyways in the game, especially when it decides to spoil something later in the game or trivialize a rather emotional or important thing then what's the fucking point

Kill yourself

etc. etc.
The devs either want to pat the players on the head for every mundane task, or they're just abusing the achievement system for easy surveillance on what they did or didn't in the game.

It's hilarious sometimes seeing review copies having like 60% completed the tutorial stats on them but I agree that it's just really mundane and useless.

when i was young, around 1987, we got cool things for doing cool shit in games.

thats gone now.

get an archieveminz insteed and be a good goy.

Shouldn't you be in bed grandpa?

?????

I use them to see how far my friends got in a game, so I know what not to talk about, etc.
as mentioned

It is definitely not a good indicator of expertise, and some people focus on them far too much and created an unimpressive metagame for themselves to collect achievements.

:DDDDDDDDDDDD
ebin

Aside form being good boy points, it tricked a bunch of casuals into thinking they were good at games by giving them obvious goals waved in front of their faces instead of getting good naturally they're leashed around like fucking idiot tourists.

School trains kids to expect a trophy every time they take a shit. Vidya does the same to not lose the retard market.

It took long enough for people to get this. Achievements are only there to help them do cost cutting in future development.

They even boasted about it when this trend started, about how only a tiny minority of gamers would finish the games they purchased. Not surprisingly immediately afterwards they sold large portions of the game as DLC while it was on the same disk and drastically reduced the amount of unique content going for procedurally generated assets.

Most consumers didn't care and are to this day still providing them with all the information that the law allows. That's why the xbone was going to only work online while a spy camera was pointed at you, they'd save the publishers hundreds of millions in market research over an entire generation. There's also benefits for their psychological marketing research as well.

This is big data in action to fuck over consumers.

You're missing the point of these things, OP. It's not to show off online or to pat gamers on the back. It's to be able to cut corners in game design. Let's say a dev has a 6 hour shitfest on their hands. One way to fix that would be to add more content. Another would be to add hundreds of invisible collectables in odd, hard to reach places and give an achievement for finding them all. Which do you think a lazy, modern dev is going to do?

That bunch of text never gets boring. How I love Stalker.

I hate these fucking things, they dont do anything but pop up and mock me.

I don't know I kind of like them, but then again I'm the kinda guy who would get all the skill points in a Ratchet and Clank game.

I think being a QA tester is a bigger scame (reqd: Early access)

Cry harder you pathetic shitter

Completely annihilated

kill yourself

I think that the general consensus for good/bad achievement design is that achivements for things you were going to do anyway are stupid. MAYBE you give one for beating the game or for reaching a major milestone, but for just completing one part of the game? Fuck that. Well-designed achevements should encourage you to play outside the norm, or reward you for going off the beaten path. They're a way to increase the replay value of a game without forcing the player to make shit up. The other value of achivements is giving the player hints; achivements can be used as teaching tools if you set them up right.

achievements were an amazing way to get people excited about datamining

you can see over the last generation that developers looked at how little content in a game normalfags actually consumed…
then stopped putting more content than that into their games.
achievements aren't about the carrot, they're about instrumenting the consumer's rate of content consumption.

Nice projection, suicidal bro

This is what happens when an obese facebook dwelling kike owns the board.

That's literally what video games are.

>>>/4chan/

This isn't a bad thing per se; if you make a survey about how much of a game people played, you only learn about the mindset of people who fill out surveys. By having an automatic and anonymous way to log hours played, stats, completion, you can figure out what the average player is like, or run more details analysis to get different psychographic profiles about player behaviors. This is a great tool, but has been horribly misused by developers and publishers.

I like them, and find it useful to track my progress across multiple games, like knowing what difficulties or optional challenges I still have to complete. Some of them are completely retarded and shouldn't exist though, like . The ones with collectibles can be pretty fucking boring and can feel like busy work, but that speaks more about how the game is designed rather than the achievement/trophy itself.

getting those had game affecting applications m8
achievements in general is just the acknowledgement of a pointless statistic

kill yourself