"Gamers"

You wouldn't call someone who watches television a televisioner, you wouldn't call someone who reads books a booker, so why would you call someone who plays games a gamer?

You call someone who watches television a viewer and you call someone who reads books a reader. You call someone who plays games a player but you call someone who wastes money on DLC a gamer.

Why do we say "geese" but not "meese"? Why is "i before e" a rule even though more words break the rule than follow it?
Why do we spell "liquid" with an I but "liquefy" with an E?
Etymology is a bitch.

/thread

I just call them faggots.

A player is something different though.

And apparently the powers that be want to not only take back the term "player" but want to use it to push some weird agenda while discrediting older or "traditional gamers"

Meaning that there is some inherent value to the term "gamer"

How does the porcu know to pine?
Why does the beaver give a dam?
What is the difference between a duck?

I agree with this twink.

Because that's only half of the rule faggot. 'I before E except after C only when the sound is ee' leaves only a few exceptions. There's also the North American variation which has something along the lines of 'or when it sounds like A' which also helps.

Still trying to kill the classic gamer identity, eh? Amazing how that coincides with "gamers are dead" shit. Must be pure coincidence though.

How the hell did the people who made Crank High Voltage make something so devoid of charm, self awareness, humor in any form except for DUDE SEX LMAO or anything? It's so terrible.

thank you for correcting one thing i said while leaving my actual point completely intact

Even if it's nothing more than as a middle finger to Bill Gates and the CommonCore Coalition.

>call people who nig "Niggers"

Your point was fine, your example was not. I was just being autistic user, calm your tits.

Black guy > Negro
Negro > Nigger
Nigger > person who nigs
You've gotten the order wrong

when people are autistic i see it as an affront to my autism

This is precisely why it keeps getting brought up as well. Nobody gave a fuck about using "gamers" until recently. It comes from the same crowd trying to use video games as social engineering.

4chan Holla Forums hated being called gamers years before "Gamers are dead" and GG was even a thing. They didn't like how it associated them with the unwashed masses that called themselves gamers in the same way it's cool to call yourself a nerd. I suppose if Holla Forums is to remain contrarian adopting the name after everyone else winds up hating it makes sense.

A player is somebody who fucks lots of women

What if you fuck a lot of imaginary women

that makes you pathetic

weab

I don't do that shit, I was just asking for a friend.

the term gamer used to refer to someone who partook in games of chance regularly
this expanded

I personally think anyone who had an issue with the label is and was a faggot.

/thread

Reminder that the SJW indie clique is deliberately pushing the term "Player."

They aren't alone.

If you want to nip this in the bud then draw attention to the older synonym of "Player" as a "Pick-up Artist". Meme hard in that direction my misogynerds!

Really putting the tinfoil early in the morning, aren't you.

shit thread

Not every attempt is directly, deliberately malicious, though. Some are just shit, look-at-how-hip-we-are marketing. If I recall correctly, GameStop has been using this since the mid-to-late 00s.

I'm not implying that they are directly working together. Sony is pushing player the same way Microsoft tried pushing "Bing it".

(((anons))) here still try to push gamer+ ? Oh wait that failed, its now (((player)))

who gives a shit

i'm a gamer, i play games. Now hang me for using trigger words you shitlord.

It's just better than the alternatives.
Already taken and bastardized by niggas or something into playa
People can have vidya as their hobby and not even lurk Holla Forums. I should know, I used to be one of them

Unless you can think of something else, "gamer" is just going to stick.

someone who drinks sometimes alcohol - is not a drinker.

someone who drinks always alcohol - is a alcoholicer.

We call someone who's passionate and enthusiastic about books/reading a 'book worm'.

We call someone who's into movies a 'film buff' or a 'cinephile'.

We call gaming enthusiasts 'gamers'.

It is a descriptive name, we all game after all.

That's not how you spell alpha as fuck.

Who the fuck cares?

I am a masturbator.

This conversation is stupid.

You mean you're a wanker?

No, I'm a masturbator because I wear a silk glove when I do it.

That makes it classy.

tv is a passive activity

books = reader

you are flipping pages

games = gamer

you are interacting with the game.

You wouldn't call someone who plays football a footballer, you wouldn't call someone who knits scarves a knitter, so why would you call someone who plays games a gamer?

Gardeners don't garden and musicians don't music so what the fuck

That's because we already have a perfectly serviceable term for them closet homosexual

There was nothing wrong with gamer until media, magazines, movies and etc ran it into the ground.

This is now a dubs thread

SAGE GOES INTO EMAIL

FFS user now I wish this was the term we could define people that play vidya

Wait, someone threw a term for describing people that play games and it stuck? How do languages work????????????????????

it used to be that someone that learned the ins and outs of the games they play was a gamer
somewhere along the line that was lost
anyone can play games as a player, very few are deserving of the title gamer

The problem is that the term comes with connotations attached that lots of people want to avoid. When you think of the term "gamer" a stereotype pops up in your mind. You picture a small child who does nothing else but sit on his gameboy/PC/console, who has mommy and daddy take care of all his needs, who has no other concerns but his game. If not that, you think of a lonely, old, overweight man who sits in his room all day and who spends incredible amounts of time glued to his monitor. Among other things, these caricatures are often clad in body odor, stained teeth, cheeto dust, or any other manner of depicting unhygienic living conditions. This is the antithesis of what it means "to be an adult", so people who want to project themselves as "mature and cultured" also don't want to associate with anything that may ruin that image.

The question is, "where did these connotations come from? Do they hold some basis in reality?" If the stereotypes hold truth, then you also must ask yourself what you're doing to change the perception of those who harbor such stereotypes. Why get rid of the word when you can change its meaning to benefit you? I mean, look at feminist ideologues, they're trying to do the same thing with "slut". Is it working for them? Depends on who you ask. Is it possible to take a word and change the connotations that surround it to begin with? I'd say yes, but it has to be a concerted effort, and the new alternative perception must be clearly defined.

That's not a real movie is it?

Personally I'd rather we'd kept the image of video games in that negative and undesirable light, if only so game companies would continue making games for us instead of for the masses.

Actually, it's a semantics thread.

"Gamification"?

I guess that means we should call your mom, a whore.

If you're a nigger maybe

what are you a nerd?

/thread

let's just get on with it, rush the fucking crash of every fucking thing so we can all start over

Should have posted pic related

You guys seem to forget the term 'gamer' originally referred to table top players.