Why do devs want games to be like movies so much?

You don't pick up a book expecting it to be like a music album. You don't buy a music album expecting to get interpretive dance. So why the fuck would anyone want to make a video game that's like a movie?
Is this a whole part of the problem that video games is still a(relatively) young medium so we're not going to see an end to this "experimental" bullshit until video games hit the half century mark?

Because they're ashamed of themselves and the medium they're in and want to be in with the popular crowd, they always end up making god awful games.

It's more about devs trying to emulate a medium that has been proven to be successful I guess. Thing is the shit eating "gamer" of today likes it, so they continue

Because they are easy to sell

I like it when some games emulate movies; finding good cinematography in vidya is always fun. MGS1 comes to mind.

I think a lot of failed novelists/scriptwriters/talentless faggots who always wanted to be directors are making their way towards the western videogame industry, and it's really starting to show.

These people have no interest in videogames but it's the only industry that will pay them a wage.

Plus on a greater scale the videogame industry has started to emulate Hollywood in many different ways in the way it operates as a business.

It shows because they treat vidya as just a job instead of something they can really have fun with.

It also explains why they focus on having games with fancy visuals but with no depth or even "game" to it.

Sleep snug, smug!

because they finally grow up and the arcades are dead?

Honestly, I kind of want to blame shareholders for this as well. The last Sony presentation, where they showed off absolutely nothing in terms of actual gameplay but just a whole bunch of fancy looking visuals? It makes me think that the focus on graphics and story and "cinematic experiences" are pushed by the need to appeal to shareholders who don't get what video games are all about.

Video games are more profitable than movies you stupid fucking faggot

Talking about me?

I've (and many other anons) explained this before but i'll explain it again:

They're ashamed of working in the video game industry.
They think video games are childish toys for neckbeard manchildren and they hate the video game audience (you) so they try everything they possibly can to distance themselves from the video games audience (you).

Everyone involved in making video games, hates video games.

The writers wanted to make books or scripts for movies but they aren't good enough, so they're stuck writing for video games.

The programmers would love to work for a big company getting paid big bucks to work on making and patching programs that makes that company millions and in turn give them a comfy, relatively easy job, but they aren't good enough for that, so they're stuck being codemonkeys for some greedy publisher that works their ass off on insane timelines on an anemic budget writing virtual toys for babies 9 times out of 10 they would never play themselves.

The companies and publishers both hate financing video game projects as they require a shit ton of money, a shit ton of time, to shit out a product that unless conforms 100% to the current trend of big titles on the market it might not make them even enough money to recuperate the time and investment they poured into the project, asking themselves every day why don't they just make mobile titles for dirt cheap or quit the market completely and get into gabling machines (see konami)

The definitive answer is that this industry, is an industry for loser.
The people making video games hate it and feel like they're losers.
The people playing video games are constantly ashamed of themselves and they'd like to be seen by society as non-neckbeards so they gravitate towards movie games and cinematic experiences that makes them think they're "grown up" but they're socially stunted so they don't know what that actually means so they just buy into whatever fad they think will make them look "mature", sorta like a teenager vaping because they think it makes them look cool.
The SJWs hate video games and see them as sexist, caveman tier pieces of trash for woman and gay/bi/trans hating manchildren so they try again and again to change their nature to cram their political agenda into them except they still hate the medium anyway so they don't even buy the games even if they do manage to stir up enough of a fuss to change them.

Everyone making video games or involved with video games HATES video games.
They HATE working in this industry and they HATE HATE HATE the everloving fuck out of you and wish you didn't exist as a reminder of what this industry is actually all about, they're embarassed by you and HATE your guts.

More like some software engineer who doesn't even know how to code creates shitty flowcharts and airdrops them into a huge concrete box full of pajeet codemonkeys.

sleep snug, smug

You're not wrong, but you'll agree with me that being a codemonkey making video games is literally the worst out of all your options.
Because your pay is shit, your hours are insane and the director takes all the work.

Everyone knows who Kojima is, nobody knows who Ranmaru Chinchonchin that worked 22 hours every day with no breaks for 5 years on X MGS title coming back to his shitty apartment filled with trash and broken dreams every night passing out on his dirty unwashed bed soaked with seat that died from overworking and heart failure due to his entire diet consisting of coffee and instant noodles is.

*all the credit

Fuck them. I wish I could be writing anything and be payed for it.

A large amount of game company executives are Hollywood washouts. That pretty much explains everything.

During GG back when people were looking into the background of game critics and writers it was revealed most of them were failed actors and movie critics who resent the game industry for not being what they wanted. So what you said about them being failed novelists/scripwriters/talentless faggots is very true.

Also a lot of them get pissed over the fact they can't really bring up their work in social gatherings without getting laughed at by their more successful peers. Its just pathetic these parasites have attached themselves to gaming with their goal of making it into an art through their pretentious stories all so they can be accepted.

Basically they are the most pathetic people on the planet.

From what I have heard, the absolute worst thing you can get other than being given the task of testing sound is programming the UI for games because no matter how good you make it, not a single person will care about it even though it is a fairly difficult task.

It's the influence of the fucking jews. Like how Jews Did 9/11

The moment games can actually evolve, and I mean progress in the sense of gameplay becoming more varied and complex is when the industry starts viewing vidya as toys instead of movies. So many non-normalfags know that vidya is going on the path of being more "cinematic," yet even some games that are universally loved want the player to play the game out as if it's a linearly structured novel or film. Terms like sandbox shouldn't even be defined as a genre, it should be what all games should be molded after.

I wouldn't blame them. Just look at the current industry. Half of the industry is filled with pretentious, weaboo, thin-skinned, obsessive, faggots, while the other half are normalfags, SJWs, over-idealistic niggers who hype everything, and corporate suits who only care about the money. The remainder are the bitter, cynical oldfags who are either try to cling on to the past, or are too tired to even try anymore and commit their lives to shitposting.

It's probably a lot easier to write a cliched competent story than create mechanics that fit together and are enjoyable all the way through the game.
I think everyone here on Holla Forums could write the stories to one of the story heavy games like Uncharted or Last of Us that Naughty Dog is so eager to shit out.
Which is such a shame since Crash is pretty solid.
I find it baffling how 'video game journalists' and 'critics' say that they are masterpieces of the medium.
I remember Total Biscuit saying that Bioshock Infinite was Ken Levine's magnum opus, which is either him being a retard, or a massive slight towards Ken, though I'm leaning towards the former.

Two reasons

1 - the already mentioned clique of Hollywood and TV rejects who hate the medium for not being the one they want.

2 - Shady groups use them to remove skill ceilings from games and make them more like interactive movies. This makes gaming more widely accepted and played, but it also makes it a better propaganda tool. Everyone can get in on it and play today's game. It also allows them to clean up gaming's image and make it more agreeable for educational (propaganda again) purposes. Holla Forums dug this out years back and then right after GG got co-opted hard and became very soft and liberal against the soft and liberal press and media they were fighting.

Because they get writers that are failed film/tv writers to make the story for their game.
These writers couldn't get in a medium that requests talent (initially) so they take whatever they can get their hands on and shit it up. Just so happens that the vidya industry has no fucking standards when it comes to writing.

On the second point, the attempt to take over gaming due to the potential profit of educational games paid for by taxes through Common Core is a much bigger factor than most people think. In fact, it is the reason why the "Gamers are dead" articles exist, the articles aren't talking about "muh soggy knees" like most would believe they are but rather it is a cry for help in order to attempt to convince companies to switch from vidya as entertainment to educational vidya. The articles all came out simulteously only one day after the father of the creator of GameJournosPro recieved a massive one-time sum of money for "game-related endeavors", a sum which exceeded the total sum of every single contribution by Bill Gates leading up to that point, thus leading to the conclusion that he was paying him to use his family connection.

I see the "they want to be in another medium but failed" argument all the time, but is there any actual proof of this?

I wonder if those critics even play games, or if they have low self esteem issues so they don't want to be seen playing "kiddy games"

Yep, a huge deal a lot of people forgot about or simply don't know. Its no surprise that GG crashed and burnt very quickly after all those revelations came out. Before it was just some nerds fighting other nerds over identity politics, then it became a witch hunt and investigation into connections, money trails and corporations.

Sleep snug, smug

I worked in the games and cartoons fields for a few years before deciding I didn't want to work 16 hour days without overtime on a regular basis. I know from experience that Filmfags are the most arrogant and pretentious assholes in all of creative expression.

If you were interested in animation, TV, or, God forbid video games, the Filmfags went out of their way to let you know that Film was not just different from what you were doing, but higher and superior.

An ex from uni had this exact attitude, and I tried to tolerate it, but the shit gets old and I dumped her quick.

I liked her for her red hair and huge boobs. She was Jewish. I didn't know any better at the time.

According to data on Steam, for some games they didn't even finish the first level before ditching them, often times they would just play for half an hour and then write the review which is how even retards that WEREN'T bribed gave NMS high scores after release.

There was always a clear connection though, it is simply that there were "muh ethics" and PR-faggots constantly moving goalposts to inhibit discussion. Sure, it helped get people to look deeper into it and find other more interesting shit, but the goalpost moving never really ended there. Even after the ADL released their .pdf for Common Core, where they unironically made Gamers are dead articles required reading for the exercise, there were retards doing damage control by talking about how "muh based mom" was right and that it was just a tinfoil conspiracy and that what the ADL had presented was just a recommendation and not part of the standard Common Core material. There were shills among them too, for example one that pretended to be a teacher in favour of Common Core and how it was really helpful for the students.

I do think that they do it to try and validate the time they spend playing shit.
To be fair to TotalBiscuit, I doubt he'd say that the game is Ken Levine's best work ever now. Nevertheless, it is the sort of shit that retards say about games that are forgotten in about 3 weeks.

Hamburger helper

I can see that. Some of the prevalent voices were obscure failed movie critics like David Faraci and Anita Sarkessian.

I love the medium of film more than I do with modern vidya, but it unfortunately contains a lot of cancerous primadonna types who think that they're better than everyone for analyzing film.

I roll my eyes whenever those people label any moment of same-sex compassion as "homosexual".

A guy feeling sorry that his male friend is dead? He's gay!

I'm a failed writer and I'd be happy to write for any medium. Yet these miserable fucks who have never touched a videogame other than fucking Mario and GTA are churning out shit and not even caring.

I have learned the very basics of Unity/C# in the past, but I'm abandoning it and going to give UE4 a go once I'm not using a fucking microwave oven.

Honestly Flim is just a higher form of fan fiction, that is accepted because retards know no better.

A lot of modern films are weak, but the older ones were very good. Did you know that Die Hard 1-4 were film adaptions of novels?

So just like the movies, there are a couple hundred Die Hard books?

because movies are an established medium
vidya isn't
and it shouldn't be because the establishment is run by kikes who hate nice things

The first film was a remake of a novel called "Nothing lasts Forever". It had a bittersweet ending where the "Mclane's" daughter (the wife in the movie) died with the terrorist. The other films were remakes of novels that were unrelated to the first one.

Because a lot of devs are dropouts from film school. Ex. Kojima and David Cage are big ones.

Because it's the easiest way to sell a game to the masses.

The problem is obvious, you're taking a product that belongs to an interactive medium and using a non-interactive medium (i.e videos) to sell them.

When you do that then then making a game which play well stops being rewarded. You could have the most fun game ever made but no one will be able to tell that from the hype material because trailers and gameplay videos can't be played,

Instead what becomes rewarded is making the game merely look good instead. Obviously graphics is one part of this but these days a bigger part is putting focus on scripted cinematic sequences that make the game look more like a film than a game.

And unfortunately people are often so easily impressed by cinematic sequences in games that they will allow it to cloud their judgement of the actual gameplay (and even the actual story for that matter), this is basically what happened with Bioshock Infinite.

Movies also require very little thinking to do well, often times directors and writers simply rely on intuition and whatever pops in your head. In fact the movie doesn't even need to be good, it just needs to look good and not do anything horrendously wrong to be successful, after a certain period of time people simply go into a sort of trance state where anything that isn't complete dog shit seems entertaining. For vidya you don't really have that because you have to concentrate and be actively involved in the matter so you can't take advantage of that trance state which movies do if you simply manage to not disappoint them for long enough.

To be fair, movies are a clusterfuck of development in of themselves. Also, most casual audiences go to movies for the story anyways, instead of visual direction.

You're right about it being easy to decipher the plot, even the "convoluted" plots are easy to understand in film and TV. They're not complex like literature unless if you see arte~ films.

I can't dismiss all film analysis though. The technical side of film like pacing and editing are interesting because so many directors get that wrong.

They indeed are a clusterfuck but the core concept is still fairly simple even if difficult. By the very nature of videogames, you have additional layers to further complicate the matter both clientside and on the side of the developer. The customer in particular becomes an issue here because while for movies they are a passive agent, in games they have an active role, which is something you will never see in a movie unless you do one of those shitty interactive movies where you click on the screen to decide what happens next which I have yet to see anyone do right.

Sleep snug, smug

apart from speculation about kojima, no its just pontification

That would be pretty fucking rad though.

Face it, you don't care about Ranmaru Chinchonchin either.

It's not like being a director isn't a difficult job. I hope you get cursed with having to be management someday so you can see how easy it is.

MGS1 is acceptable because it's also still game that has good gameplay. It just also has really long (but really good) cutscenes.

So at the end of it all, would the solution be that we need more positive people in this industry who are here because they enjoy it?

They want to show all available content at once. No branching narratives, no alternate paths, no hidden easter eggs. One railroaded narrative is easier to design and test than a free roaming experience that plays out differently for everyone.

I sorta do, i've talked with some people that worked in video game development, a mix of indie, AA and AAA guys.
They're usually average, good people.

Not sure Holla Forums does tho, Holla Forums tends to be insta-triggered by 90% of people's opinions, i bet they'd never buy platinum games titles again if they spent some time talking with people that actually work at platinum, i bet at some point someone would say something they don't agree with and it would de-evolve into THEY'RE CONTROLLED BY JEWS BOYCOTT PLATINUM etc like it always does.

All the good designers, animators and programmers got pulled away to work on some secretive 'Matrix' esque project, I bet.

One of my favorite games is a VN and before I played it I thought all VNs or movie meme games were universally shit and that cutscenes/walkingsim/dialogueclickingsim were awful and had no place in games. I still believed it after I finished Danganronpa because I thought it should just be an anime, then I watched the anime and hated it despite it being a 1:1 adaption because I realized the pacing was shit since they have to give you X amount of time to analyze each clue. Well for some clues that time was way too long because they were obvious, and for other clues it was way too short. I would sometimes spend an hour going over each crime scene in the games and going back to stuff I had looked at, but in the anime that just didn't work. The trials also had no tension because somehow the simple easy gameplay that they have during the trials makes it way more tense. It make you feel like YOU have to prove whodunit rather than you just being an observer that watches other people figure it out. I guess what this means is that Danganronpa can't just be a movie/anime because the pacing would get fucked up, and it can't be 100% gameplay because then they couldn't tell the same carefully directed story.

I know about all the plot holes and retarded setting (anything tragedy related is shit), I just really like how entertainingly ridiculous the plot is (and the aesthetics of the music/art/UI are great).

Sony sells movie, the disc that stores the movies, and the device that plays the movies. What do you think?

I'd say that I was going to boycott Platinum now, but I never bought anything from them and I probably wouldn't have anyway, so whatever.

What's wrong with the employess there?

They're not really right-wing or apolitical, they're left-leaning progressives. A lot of folks in the entertainment industry are.

Because the audience for video games now (casuals) want it as well. Supply and demand, this is what Holla Forums asked for.

i don't really care about what the devs are like themselves as long as they don't release shitty games or force weird morals into their games.
i do boycott publishers when they continually ruin games i liked.

Are you any good faggot?

Because CGI movies are easier and cheaper to make.

Also this. They don't even take pride in their work anymore.

Platinum? As in, that company that is mostly comprised of japanese people that probably don't give a shit about America's values and politics, or their particular brand of left vs right dichotomy? This is "my dad works at Nintendo"-tier bullshit.

My original post was simply meant to be interpreted as:

"Video games are made with dozens of people in your team so they're going to have very different personal and political opinions and talking to them individually is going to give you varying result, same as any person in a team that makes any type of product".

Only this guy

got it.

The rest of you immediately turtle shelled into the tinfoil hat bunker and started warming up ready to do mental gymnastics and revving up your asses for a shitstorm.

God fucking damnit Holla Forums is a hive of utter mental illness.

every time

It's because of the way you set up that statement, by saying that you talked to a bunch of developers, then mentioned Platinum.

Devs have tried to make games feel like movies ever since 3D gaming became possible. It's just that only in the past 8 or so years (due to advancements in graphics) have games actually started to really look like movies.

It has nothing to do with linear vs open world; GTA proves that

Can I get citations on that first achievement shit, I hate reviewers with a passion and a friend genuinely doesn't believe it when I bring this up.

The problem isn't linear vs open world

That is actually the problem. It's a false dichotomy that exists in a binary state in a lot of people's minds.

Games are such a unique medium due to their interactive nature. They don't need to be strictly defined by one or the other. You could easily have a game like, say, Morrowind, where halfway through you join Dagoth Ur and just begin your conquest of the rest of Vvardenfell, one city at a time (abandoning all other prior engagements).

But no, even in a game that's "open world", even Morrowind has a linear quest.

devs/journos still can't get over Roger Ebert saying the vidya can't be art

they think that imitating film is the only way for vidya to become accepted as an art form

Because there are more people who enjoy movies than people who enjoy vidya.
It's simple shitty economics.

This is still funny.

The lot of them who are butthurt about Ebert are failed film school drop outs, or otherwise idolize film, but are too shit to ever even come close to making it in the film industry, even as a film critic (in an era where fucking nostalgia critic exists).

What a bunch of faggots.

Because they're a bunch of poseur hipsters that want to be part of the Hollywood cool crowd.

Lib arts colleges paint vidya as being "below" them to make up for the fact you need actual talent to get anything done in this industry.

I'll never forget seeing one cunt of a dev saying something along the lines of "Something strange about the death of Roger Ebert and the release of Bioshock Infinite as a true art game".

Didn't Ebert already say that some games can be art after he played some old Japanese game?

Easy.

It's the same reason that early film was so similar theater.
The medium hadn't developed it's own place yet. More specifically, the language of cinematography wasn't developed.
The same is true for vidya. The most successful and similar medium to video games is film. It makes sense that games would tell their stories like this.

This is a part of it.
As long as shity walking sims and 'p&c adventure' games keep getting good media reception vidya will remain tied to film.

There have always been shitty film like games, games have always been relatively mainstream and only a few developers actually want to make films and you can't prove otherwise. You fags are just sitting in a trend but well over half of you wouldn't know it because you've only lived through 1.5 trends and assume that what they are now is the standard evolution of video games, also you cuckolds are picking out a few games that overdo the film part as if they are the standard, even though most games released have no film like elements and 4 of the last gens 5 top selling games 0 film like elements.

collectively kill yourselves

number 10 of the top ten highest grossing games of all time has made more than the highest grossing film of all time, even when offsetting for inflation. There are more games making over 1 billion dollars annually than there are films making that annually, Games that make big money cost significantly less to make than the equivalent films, and video games get a higher share of the profits than films do of the ticket price on top of games having microtransactions which are not shared publicly.

You are so retarded it hurts, but posting anime and being retarded go hand in hand.

But video games have developed their own place, they did this over a decade ago with developers figuring out how to tell story through gameplay and integrating gameplay and story seamlessly, but developers still ignore this and take the easy out because they want to follow what's trending gameplay and story wise even when these elements don't tie in well. The easiest example of this is Naughty Dog, their entire career has been chasing trends and polishing that turd but at no points in time have they actually made anything of any real substance, probably their most original title was Crash Bandicoot which poorly adapted 2d platfoming into 3d but completely ignored things like level design and the thing people refer to as game feel and instead traded this in for polish in terms of story telling and animation/graphics.

You know the script writers and shit like that I can see. But as far as I'm aware the programmers in the vidya gaem industry are code monkeys and anyone of a higher level then manual labor who did want to make vidya gaems stopped wanting too once they learned actual coding and go for different jobs.

This is probably one of the big reasons why games are moving away from gameplay. Making a movie-type game simply requires one to write a story, and (usually) add some degree of interaction to portray it. Making a game with enjoyable mechanics is something that requires forethought and significant degree of fine-tuning in order to turn out well.

Welcome to nepotism, enjoy your stay.

No. Sounds like you're the one who hates games if you're projecting so much.
Or then you made some good b8, got me to reply
T. game dev

I think he was merely exaggerating and meant that this is the mentality of many people in western mainstream AAA development.

This is actually tied to a major problem that goes further back then vidya gaems and into tabletop gaems. Writers don't like writing around blank characters for a player and would always rather make their own characters do cool things and for you to sit there and read/watch it. This is a very ingrained and fundamental problem and writers have to have the right kind of mindset to not constantly do this.

The reason why AAA studios are so full of shit is because they are run by shareholders who don't play or care about games or the gaming industry.
Ubisoft, EA, Sony, Zenimax etc. are all following specific "trends" and "mainstream appeal" because the idiot shareholders think that's what gamers like and the idiot consumers who keep buying the same fucking games year after year.

You probably have already seen this, but it's still brings up a good point. Characters can have a set personality/traits, it's just that the game surrounding that character has to complement it so the player can experience the same things as him.

Its because everyone who makes games can't write a book or make a movie but want to tell a story they think will be cool.

I think Bayonetta is a fantastic example of doing this thing really well. The gameplay is all about being flashy, perfect, and stylish while beating the shit out of angels that are all pure and holy, so of course the protagonist is an 8 foot tall very sexual supermodel with guns on her high heels and attacks with dance moves, of course the visuals are colorful and flashy, and of course the music is upbeat pop music mixed against imposing church music.

I complain about voiced defined protagonists a lot but if they actually make the protagonist something other than (((generic protagonist man))) and have them actually suit the game then I have no problem.

Anybody can write a book nowadays. You don't even need to get a publisher involved anymore and it costs significantly less than a game or movie to make. Sage goes in the email field.

I don't know the answer either, but my guess is that it's more "Hey, look what this game engine can do." and less"pls buy my movie, you misogynerds."

You really just strung that together, didn't you?

If the shit games are bought a lot, the shareholders are doing exactly the right thing.

Because they're hacks and they take inspiration from even bigger hacks like David Cage and Kojima

Don't get me wrong I like MGS but really fuck all those cutscenes

Nice assumption you have there.
I was referring more to how you didn't explain yourself well, retard.

because video games are an inferior artform.

It isn't an artform to begin with. It's just a medium of entertainment. The core element of any game is the gameplay, and that can't be an art. The game can contain art in the form of its assets, but that's it.

Movies are considered high brow so they feel the need to incorporate the high brow elements of film into games, thereby pushing all the things that made games games.

In other words, gameplay makes games games.' Movies make movies movies. What happens if you make games more like movies? They cease to be games.

Friendly reminder that discussions about what is "art" are discussions about meaningless phrases.

This. Scrabble is not art. Poker is not art. first person shooters are not art.

Gameplay is difficult to advertise.

Gameplay is difficult to teach.

Movies require nothing but a pair of eyeballs.

tl;dr webm related.

Games in their ideal form let you engage as an active agent in a virtual situation. The powers that be are uncomfortable with the children of the masses having that experience, so they encourage the production of passive propaganda-driven non-games that require very little player agency.

Games can be art.
I consider Xenoblade Chronicles the first one to be art.

Everything that takes skill and imagination is art. Buildings can be art. A piece of woodwork can be art.

But those vapid post-modern "journalists" of course are too dumb to realize that.

Can a game of chess be art?

The design of the game can in itself be considered a craft.