Roguelike/lite

What are some good ones Holla Forums? Pic is probably the one I've spent the most time on

Other urls found in this thread:

te4.org/
te4.org/games/addons/tome/ignore-raceclass-locks
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation)
angband.oook.cz/variants.php?variant=zplus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

:^)

Unlocked every ship recently in FTL, I'll probably go back to playing nethack

ive been hearing good things about pic related but any anons play it yet?

Dungeons of Dredmore is a fun easy roguelike that actually still fits the definition. Tales Of Maj'Eyal is just a great roguelike all around.

i liked teleglitch

I recommend Risk of Rain, Super House of Dead Ninjas, Tower of Guns and Ziggurat.

Risk of Rain is a platformer. Each level involves reaching a teleporter and surviving an ongoing wave of enemies until it activates. The game gets harder the longer you play and most of the improvement to your character comes from picking items in the level. Most of the time you get items by opening chests, which costs money dropped by enemies, forcing you to choose between quickly activating the portal or exploring the level to get more items (getting more items is usually the best option). And there's co-op as well.

Super House of Dead Ninjas is also a platformer (I guess) where you have to reach the bottom of a tower, killing a lot shit in the way, including a couple of bosses every few hundred levels. There's a lot of unlockable weapons and it's quite fast and addictive.

Tower of Guns is an FPS. I'd say it's a little bit of a 3D bullet hell at times. There's a lot of verticality (you can have infinite jumps) and quite a few secrets. Only downside is you only use a single gun per playthrough (usually).

Ziggurat is also an FPS. This one feels like Heretic, theme-wise. You can pick different classes, which have different bonuses and penalties, and can carry up four weapons (a wand, a staff, a gun and a bomb). The gameplay consists of getting a new weapon in the beginning of each level, fighting a wave a enemies in each area of the level, reaching the exit, fighting a boss and going to the next level. Leveling up gives you a random choice of bonuses.

I agree with the user. I'd say Dredmor is nice entry-level roguelike, while ToME is a much more refined one. Also, you can play ToME for free and there's a ton of addons to customize the game.

Another free and really good one I recommend is Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, though it can be quite unforgiving in the beginning. The apocalypse happened, with zombies and lot of other shit, and you have to survive. There's guns, vehicles (which you can craft yourself), you can become a cyborg and/or a mutant… there's a LOT of stuff in this game. Download the experimental build if you decide to try this one. And avoid the forums, since it has been infested by SJW (or so the anons usually say).

I really wanted to like Teleglitch, but it wasn't random enough for me, since enemies and items in a level are always the same, only placed in different locations.

There is no point to any weapon ever other than burst laser II and flak cannon I. you end up with 2 or 3 burst laser II's in the first 30 mins of play and you win.

My first roguelikes were Castle of the Winds, Reaping the Dungeon, and some game called LAD (local area dungeon)

Adom is fun. My favorite roguelike. Other roguelikes I like are brogue and infra arcana.

While true, you have some alternatives to these. Like ion weapons/teleporter assault combo.

Nuclear Throne if you can live with playing a game made by SJWs.

Vagante is my favorite right now. Its just spelunky but better with online coop up to 4 people. once you beat the game it goes automatically to N+ making the game just harder each time. items can change how you play the game and it does the procedural generated level actually fun

Caves of Qud has been my favorite for some time now.

FTL is not a roguelike, it's an RPG with an ATB system
Spelunky is a platformer
Binding of Isaac is a twin-stick shooter

DoomRL doesn't get enough love. Good amount of build variety, no unlockables, five difficulties for different skill levels (I think I only managed to beat the third one and I wasn't too bad at the game) and a bunch of challenges (shotgun only, pacifist run, stuff like that).

The combat is also interesting. The weapons play quite differently and the classes' skills give the weapon playstiles even more variety. You can use shotguns as a sonar for example to check if enemies are outside of your range of vision because they make a sound when hit.

If you haven't played DoomRL yet go play it now. It's my favourite roguelike.

Other than that I'd say ToME (plays more like an open world RPG, extreme build variety), DCSS (pretty classic gameplay, play an older version because the dev keeps removing stuff), Desktop Dungeons (more like a puzzle game than a rougelike, can be played in short bursts) and Dungeons of Dredmor (babby's first roguelike, it's too slow to be enjoyable for me tbh).

FTL was such a pleasant surprise and definitely one of my favourite games. Music was awesome too.

How have I not heard of this? That looks awesome and also something that my toaster PC could play.

Don't Starve Together is really fun for a while with friends, until you realize there is no late game goal.

nope

one way heroics is a fantastic video game

now thats what i call an indie game

I've been playing it, I actually do like it.

I've gotten back into Tales of Majeyal recently. It's pretty good.

Tell me more, can't find much about this game…

it would be cool if there was a freedom FOSS linux type of game like FTL

Is Death Road to Canada an allright rougelike-like game? I keep seeing it pop up here and there

It's a true roguelike with tons of loot and lots of abilities.
Combat is much deeper than just repeatedly bumping enemies, using abilities in a synergistic way and managing cool-downs and multiple resources aside from basic HP and Mana is important.

Classes have a great amount of variety from each other, most classes also have decent variety in how they can be built.
Has several styles of "warrior" type classes including Brawler, Berserker, Archer.
Several types of Rogue as well.

Several types of spellcaster including:
Alchemist (throw bombs and have a golem buddy to tank)
Archmage (classic elemental blasting, also has magic shields)
Paradox Mage (manipulate time, dimensional space, gravity, etc)
Corruptor (uses spells that deal blight damage, inflict diseases, manipulate blood, and can take on demonic aspects).
Summoner

Several unusual classes, some of them are hybrids that blend physical combat and spellcasting:
Mindslayer (can attack with mental abilities while wielding psyblades and a telekinetically wielded two hander)
Cursed (Mostly melee combat but has great debuffs, abilities run on "Hate" which is gained in combat and drains away outside of combat)
Temporal Warden (seamlessly combines bows and dual wielded melee-weapons using time manipulation similar to the Paradox Mage)
Wyrmic (mimics draconic aspects, breath weapons and such)

Has more plot and backstory than most roguelikes, lots of in-game lore to find if you want. Writing ranges from pretty good to silly if Darkgod wrote it (The lead dev is a bit strange).

The game is freely available at te4.org/
Donating is optional and not needed (you get character cosmetic options, a bonus class, transferring items between characters, some other stuff I can't recall).
Buying the game on Steam is the same as donating. If you download the game and later donate you get the Steam version.
Supports mods/addons (Get Zomnibus for many quality of life improvements) and has an in-game chat server.

Most importantly, you can play as a Skeleton.

Why is every officer a special snowflake?

It's shit for this reason. That practice is supposed to extend artificially the longevity of the game. The assumption it's necessary is an admittance that the game would be dropped fast without it.
In ADoM all races and classes are available from the beginning. I like that.

And I'm playing ADoM for more than a decade already.

Really? for me telegitch's god awful filter and map turning made me nauseous

10 seconds searching the addons solves this problem.
te4.org/games/addons/tome/ignore-raceclass-locks

YOU FUCKING FAGGOT DON'T KNOW WHAT A ROGUELIKE IS

FTL, RoR, Halcyon6, Spelunky are not roguelikes, they're indie shit. Just because it has permadeath doesn't mean it's a roguelike you disgusting nigger

OP said Roguelite to try and pre-empt turbofags like you.

Try and read the OP more closely before you get triggered and have a massive chimp out. Embarrassing.

laziest copypasta ever

Not alot of people talk about Elona.

"Roguelite" is a retarded term that tells you almost nothing about a game, and nearly every entry in the "genre" would be better described as a platformer, shooter, etc.

I like the game, but it's probably one of the slowest roguelikes.
Once it gets going it's great, but the first few hours of most people's playthrough is grinding platinum coins

Berlin interpretation is so awful it allows anything and everything to be a roguelike.

Except that it's a procedurally generated game with perma-death. Which is what people want to talk about.

Do I care if it's a platformer, or shooter? No. I care first and foremost about it being a roguelite. That is a starting point for discussion. That is the common factor here. Hence the thread.

I'm commenting on the reason for unlockable content, not the content itself.

Crypt of the Necrodancer is pretty fun.
It's a mix between rythm game and dungeoncrawler.

Is there a version that works with the release 1.4.8 of the game? The last one I see is for 1.1.0

Tower of Guns is really good. I'd call it a better Ziggurat because Ziggurat is very lacking in content.

Why?

underageb& doesn't even have a clue what copypasta means faggot

99% of "roguelite" games, as the other user said, is best described as a platformer, shooter, etc., are very different from one another, and have nothing in common with actual roguelikes.

It's not a genre. It's like tagging your game "sandbox" or "indie". Roguelite is a retarded term made up by faggots who want to attract the "lol permadeath is so hard guise" crowd, akin to "souls-like".

tl;dr Roguelite is reddit incarnate

It's a retarded term made up by fucking morons who, when you explain that a game is not a roguelike, still think that they're right and want to call it one anyway even though they're completely wrong.

Berlin interpretation is extremely strict and only allows "anything and everything" to be a roguelike if you ignore the fact that it has some major criteria that need to be met and don't understand what the criteria are because you've never actually played a roguelike.

Hold up here's the "strict criteria" in action
and I quote from it directly (roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Berlin_Interpretation)

Yeah it's a complete and utter farce. I can argue literally any game is a roguelike by the Berlin interpretation and be right

This. It's funny when faggot devs slap the roguelike genre on their game when it's not turn-based and grid-based, and the only remotely rl element is losing your items upon death

Only insomuch as you can argue that any game is any genre and be "right". That is to say that you're wrong, but insisting that reality is subjective anyway.

No wonder so many faggots jumped in on the rl bandwagon

Did you even read that line. That single line dismantles the entire definition and leaves it a complete sham.

Nope the interpretation allows it.
Just because I'm missing the points of the most pathetic definition I've ever seen that could only be produced by the worst type of people, means I'm still within the interpritation to say it's a roguelike.

Literally any game is a roguelike by the berlin interpretation because of that line.
Oh man Mario 64 is a roguelike because it displays your health in a numerical fashion and exploration is a key part, there's no Monster diplomacy as they all attack you on sight!
Totally a roguelike by the Berlin Interpritation

Shitty b8 m8

My fucking nigger

That isn't bait.
Read that line.

It allows literally anything and everything to be a roguelike just because of that single line.
Funnily enough it also allows everything to not be a roguelike.
By the Berlin Interpretation Rogue is not a Roguelike. Sure it meets all the criteria (exeption of the sokuban levels, but whoever made the list to start with forgot those were in rogue), but by the Berlin interpritation and I quote here

So by the definition, just because it meets all the criteria of being a roguelike, I can argue that rogue isn't a roguelike and still refer to the interpretation and be right.

So you're not pretending to be retarded then?

Obviously, it's up to players themselves to form a general consensus on whether a game is or is not a roguelike, the problem is that the people who laid out the Berlin interpretation didn't count on an influx of retards trying to cash in on the name.

If you can't see why you're wrong, you're fucking retarded. Go play your shitty indie pixelshit platformer and leave the big kids alone

jolly good show old chap
here here

It was made in response to that. They just got an influx of "well what about X game it meets almost everything" and "X game isn't a roguelike but meets most of the requirements" so as opposed to refine the definition, they instead decided to put that copout line that invalidates the entire thing, and lets me insult whoever tries to refer to it

Okay then, try to come up with a single reason the Berlin interpretation is good, and doesn't allow for this.

What it's how it's written, I'm right by your favorite ruleset.

Apparently they also didn't count on retards who think that acknowledgement of genre crossover and overlap means some kind of tacit acknowledgement that all games ever created are actually roguelikes.

Yeah when that's an issue the definition is shit, they needed to refine it and not put a copout line.
Definitions are formed by constant refinement not some assholes in a 2008 conference room going "well this is good enough" and letting autists hold it as gospel when it's the flimsiest genre definition I've seen. Even first person shooter is better defined.

FPS: Has to be in First Person
Roguelike by the berlin interpretation: Well it could have these things, but it doesn't need these things

Huh? What about games that you can toggle between the first and third person view?

Technically still posses the First person element, so it's still technically an FPS.
Roguelike by Berlin interpretation is so incredibly flimsy, you can argue successfully following the definition, that anything is or isn't a roguelike.
All because whoever made it decided they needed a copout as opposed to actually having to have a hard and fast "meet these"

I think people usually just take into account the default or less shit view, like how modern fallout can be played in tp but no one does that for the entirety of the game or even significant portions

Mario 64 confirmed FPS

Yup, you can totally say it is and be close enough to correct, still stricter than the Berlin Interpretation.

Counter Strike is a Roguelike.
FTL is a roguelike.
Galgun is a roguelike.
[email protected]/* */ is a roguelike.
World of Warcraft is a roguelike.
literally anything is and isn't a roguelike by the Berlin.

yeah, i cant imagine anyone playing command and conquer renegade in third person, except for the vehicles.

classes and races have to be unlocked
retarded lore dumps everywhere
stat system based on dragon age
donating gives you exploration (wiz) mode "for those that want to see the story unfold faster" (billed as a hamburger hepler mode)
cooldowns

Do you go around as Richard Stallman and destroy Microsoft space crafts and proprietary bandits with the rebel flagship replaced with Windows?

I also really enjoyed Desktop Dungeons and BoI. With FTL those games make the holy trinity.

I tried Nuclear Throne and Enter the Gungeon but they didn't do it for me. EtG in particular just took way too long to get going each time.

Underrated post. One Way Heroics is awesome.

I often hear people complain about FTL on here, but also praise it. Probably a divisive game due to RNG involved, especially the crystal quest, but it's probably one of the only good Kikestarter results and I've played it upwards of 300 hours at least since the release.

It's my go-to "something relaxing for an hour or two" game.

i cant get in to it. its bullshit, but i can see why and how some people have the audacity to make it work.

Really comes down to knowing the RNG like Binding of Isaac or other similar games.
You play the game enough to know whether you're in a shitty RNG situation or not and what your best options are.

*admission

This was a nice thread about videogames until you showed up and fucking ruined it.

Holla Forums is the worst place on the internet to talk vidya.

This.

People can't seem to understand that games that rely on luck, but still have player interactions, require the most skill. Accounting for N different outcomes, and mitigating risk management is a very important skill some people just do not have.

Exactly. Why do you think high stakes poker is a thing?

'But…but there's too much RNG'

No you dense fucker. There's JUST ENOUGH.

FTL must be the best game i ve played in like 4 or 5 years, that and Dustforce and Steredenn, my faith into indie games was restored, i'd rather search for hours into the indie vault for one of such gems than settle for some stall AAA game.

you romance the demongirls?

I like Shiren the Wanderer and Torneko No Daibouken in the Mystery Dungeon series.

It makes me so sad that some of guys come here and just shit on real roguelikes.

Now that that is out of the way, have any of you guys ascended before? I've managed to ascend in nethack ( using some scummy behavior), dcss ( with an easy class) and brogue (with a lucky run).

What's your favorite YASD? Mine still has to be trying to get on my horse in nethack, falling off and hitting my head on a rock.

I've ascended twice in DCSS and have zero desire to play it anymore.
One as a GrEE of Veh, and one as a GrFi or Gl (can't recall which) of Qazlal. Gargoyle is ezmode, I know. Qazlal is fun as fuck though.

I've also technically beaten DoomRL but it was long ago when the game was half the length it is now, and I think it was on Hurt Me Plenty.

I've never gotten into Nethack or Brogue for some reason. I've tried them and they just didn't appeal to me.

Angband is a good free roguelike that has gotten steady development. It has several tilesets to choose from, and easily customized windows for displaying whatever information you like.

Difficulty curve is pretty gentle for the first 30 or so floors (out of 100)

I have liked ZAngband more for its variety. It's a pity its development has stopped long ago.
angband.oook.cz/variants.php?variant=zplus

Cataclysm:DDA is pretty fun.

Bump

thought I turned that feature off, but guess not. what's the reliable food source for calcium? I'm soon running out of bones to make bone broth

Please dont fucking kill me Mr. Moose

If vitamins are screwing with metabolism then stop taking so many. You only need about two a day or one every 14 hours if you want to be super technical. You can take more if you've recently gone without nutrition to help boost it back up but after that you should go back to the regular dosage.

This one seems obvious but nobody posted it yet

tales of illyria on android