3D Pronters

What does /g/ think of 3D printers?

Overpriced trinket making shit or generally useful to have and learn?

fun toy if you're a normie, useful for prototyping if you're an inventor of sorts, also useful for building replacement parts for random shit

Go pront yourself

If I ever wanted to have a complete collection of Dragon Quest Slime figurines, I'd probably use one to make them myself instead of spending an absurd amount of money on them.
Also, wrong board, buddy.

Ensure proper ventilation, you're already exceeding your recommended daily dose of plastic when you drink a glass of water - you don't need to be breathing that shit.

Depends on the kind, size, quality, and what you are doing with it. SLA printers are okay for some things but plaster and ABS printers are better for now.

Print to use has very limited applications due to the fragility of 3D prints; it is plastic after all. If you are prototyping or using it for casting moulds, you will need to seal, fill gaps, sand, wax, and so on but it is great.

Some nigger has made a 3D printed car looks like absolute shit and others make 3D printed jewelry or lighting, which can be quite beautiful if done correctly.

What are you considering ?
What do you want to do with it ?
Can you 3d model ?

t. industrial designer & engineer

Zero effort.

It was Aliens.

It makes it almost impossible to effectively ban a lot of things, like guns.

Nigga this ain't /g/.

3d printers are overrated. Additive manufacturing sucks for anything but prototyping. CNC subtractive manufacturing is where it's at, whether you're cutting metal wood or plastics.

3d printed guns suck, and always will suck. Or gid gud and do what this man did.

Make your own receiver from scratch, but the rest of the parts anonymously with cash, and as an end result you get a real gun. One you can even be proud of.

He could have done a lot less machining and gotten a better rifle out of it if he'd made a better pattern.

3D printing makes that easy.

Good job.

3D printed lowers suck ass. His is much better despite his crude machining.

3D printers do jack shit. 3d printed guns are a MEME.

Oh I see, you're saying he could have made a better casting using a 3d printed pattern.

He could have gotten an even better casting than that using styrofoam, a hot wire, and hot glue. Lost foam casting with aluminum is the best way for an amateur to get quality casts. Assemble the pattern out of foam, cover it in a layer of plaster of paris, then bury the mold. You don't need to worry about having good greensand, two piece molds, or any of that nonsense.

I 3D printed Hitler with that. Feelsgoodman.jog

And for that matter he could have just purchased an 80% lower and did barely any machining to finish it, but there is certainly something to be said for doing it yourself. He could give his kid that rifle and be proud of it.

Learn to read you stupid fuck.

You 3D print the pattern. Then you use that to form the sand mold. Then you cast a better blank for easier and better machining.

Also his gating sucked, and his machining wasn't much better. That receiver is a C- effort at best.

Agreed.. but it did work after all.

What's your field?

(checked)
and then you have kikes:

I'm a EE personally

3d printed patterns from cheap 3d printers are a pain in the ass to work with because the surface finish is awful. Yes you can fuck around with sandpaper, primer and acetone tricks, but it's all a hassle. Unless you're making an arsenal's worth to make a labor intensive printed pattern worth the effort to perfect, go with lost foam casting.

The fact that even an amateur machinist can make a functional rifle is the point nitwit. You don't need fancy 3d printer bullshit, just the decades old tools any farmer has in his barn already.

People in the firearms industry should have a standing arrangement to never talk with lispy nu-male "journalists". I'm sure the publicity is good for their businesses anyway, but by talking with these people they're just helping to produce anti-gun propaganda.

OP is a fag. I posted in the wrong board, sage this into oblivion.

I'm not sure what I would do with it exactly. I'm proficient with modeling software and it would be fun to build on my own. But after it's built I'm not sure if it adds any utility to my life. Print trinkets and that's it?

Looking at PRUSA MK3.

No. Not even close. Fucking around with styrofoam will never be able to achieve the same degree of detail as a simple 3D print.

No. It's the easiest way to get fast, mediocre casts.

Proper patterning and gating etc. are essential for complex casting, and once you have the pattern you can make as many units as you have flasks. Lost foam requires a whole new foam pattern with every attempt, whether it works or not. Cores, which are essential in any complex casting, are extremely difficult to pull off with foam.

There are kits with jugs that make it very easy with just a drill press and a few other tools, but can you ever be sure (((they))) won't track that purchase?

But how are they ever going to track (or ban) aluminum cans? That's the salient point of that project.

So don't buy a cheap 3D printer. Or spend the time, and bondo, to make a pattern that you can use over and over. Because the number of guns you need is always more than the number you have.

The surface finish only has to be good enough to release the sand reliably. You're going to be machining it anyways.

No. See above. The failure rate on lost foam is too high to justify the effort kludging up each pattern.

Then it's a stupid point, because shitskins in the jungle can churn out AKs with just some sheet steel and a hammer.

And he's not making a whole rifle. He's just making a very clunky receiver. He still had to buy the upper, barrel, trigger group, and so on.

Besides, (((they))) don't give a fuck about one guy making an amateurish receiver. What really concerns (((them))) are guys like Cody Wilson who made a small benchtop CNC that can churn out hundreds of guns.

The holy grail of small production homebrew firearms isn't receivers anyways. It's reliable barrels and especially rifling.

Too late. It's our thread now.

Thanks for confirming you have no experience with lost foam casting. Trust me on this: it's so easy even a retard like you could pull it off.
You aren't making hundreds or even tens of rifles. Nobody is going to be impressed by you LARPing as an industrial foundry. If you've only got a few rifles to make, your time and money will be better spent focusing on lost foam casting. You can easily knock out a dozen foam lowers in a casual Saturday afternoon to cast at your leisure. How much aluminum are you melting at a time anyway LARPer?

Cash nigger. You can find people selling them locally all across America. It's a huge cottage industry now.

You're telling the guy that posted it. I know that's the point.

>guns being easy enough for niggers to make means that making guns is easy isn't a good point
Guns being easy to make is the point, you impossible autist.

> What really concerns (((them))) are guys like Cody Wilson who made a small benchtop CNC that can churn out hundreds of guns.
Cody WIlson is a (very good) political provocateur. Orders of magnitude more AR lowers have been made by private citizens without a ghost gunner than with one. All Cody does is put a brand and a face on the concept to give morons something to fret about. Remember how much they kvetched about his entirely impractical but technically functional all-plastic printed gun? That's what he does. His CNC machine is just that propaganda technique taken to the next level.

Also,

I am guessing for animation ro gaming purposes. Toys are a good thing to prototype. Use it to make an original and make moulds after finishing the surface. Need proper draft angles and wax for release, and the part surface will be the mould surface.

ABS machine seems okay. Do not use bondo, too toxic and way harder to sand than the ABS. Use joint compund, gray primer, and lots of sandpaper, 120, 220, 420, 600. Beeswax surface. Mould in silicone.

3+ axis CNC mill is best investment, then laser cutter, then 3D printer. All are useful. 3D printer is more manual labor than CNC.

Sweet. We were building CNC mills and 3D printers at uni, 3D prining a 3D printer is possible. Some bongs did it 10+ years ago.

It had a metal pin.

Yep. For some.

SLA printers with plaster + sugar water needs resin. Some newer ones just use the resin and need extra cleaning. This is shit use but can get very detailed. Put powdered clay for pottery and fire in kiln. This is good use.

FLM printers can spool plastics like ABS or nylon and also metals. These often need extra support materials, which is a waste and can need chemicals to disolve.

I don't know what that first one is but it looks like a powder print unsealed, i.e., SLA. I do not see layers.

Lol. It is all about the intended use.

Well that all depends on the furnace and the melt. The big furnace can handle 4.5 tonnes per hour, but we have a number of smaller batch units.

Shipping dumbshit.

And does exactly what it sets out to do for a fairly reasonable price.

But you're better off saving up for a little tormach.

FDM

I had lots of trouble finishing powder prints and little trouble finishing ABS prints, as they were stronger, didn't smell like shit, and, presuming the nozzle and machine are fine enough.

I used the ABS printer for mechanical things to realize computer models IRL. I used the powder printer when I needed smooth surfaces that I was not going to sand or paint.

Well, 3D pronters will have a big future in the area of printing up Right Wing Robowaifu Squads, so yea. Eventually organic printers may also help with artificial wombs so, also, yea. These outcomes will have an impact on the world that is of concern to Holla Forums dipshit. Back to cuckchan with you faggot.

ayylmao

These have more use for architect and designer types in their current form. Architects have a boner for creating models of their buildings. But until metal cintering or something similar is available at consumer prices then it is just kind of a toy. A 3 axis CNC would be a lot more useful imho if you like to build and tinker with stuff.

As far as learning (if you are younger) yes I would say it is VERY useful to learn about them now, how they work, how to program them etc. as they will progress and will be the future of many types of manufacturing.

no they're not
youtube.com/watch?v=u7ZYKMBDm4M

Posted this just for you user. :^)

>>>/robowaifu/359