Kotor 2

So I just finished this and I have to ask, what the fuck was that ending? Honestly I'm shocked this wasn't the mass effect 3 of it's time with an ending like that

Because you couldn't romance your Twi'lek genderqueer Social Jedi Warrior while the entirety of the writing wasn't shit made for television with various interpersonal drama, and finally Lucas Arts and Georgie boy were too focused on Force Unleashed to give a shit about Obsidian finishing their game or giving it some more marketing.

The game is infamous for being incomplete. There are mods which try to restore a lot of the cut content, with which the ending makes more sense.

Because Obsidian used to have a legion of drones that rivaled Bioware, and they overlooked any and all flaws the game had.

And when they DID acknowledge the flaws, they passed the blame from Obsidian to the "big bad evil publishers who fucked Obsidian over" like they do with every other unfinished game the company made.

I've been thinking and all Obsidian gems are unfinished.

NWN 2 - probably the most unfinished, you can see how awesome it could've been. Only the dwarf and elf have any meaningful conversation, the paladin speaks like twice in the game, same with almost everyone else.

Kotor 2 - mega unfinished, you often see greatness, but TSLRCM is a double-edged sword - some of the restored content seems like it was cut off for a good reason. Like, some of it is not only fucking shit but it also changes nothing, is not interesting and only adds more filler combat.

New Vegas - the least obviously uncomplete, but it probably had the most interesting content cut - Legion and stuff justifying Legion as a good choice. Still, besides bugs (which were in every fallout game anyway, and there's fan patches), it seems finished.

So was Obsidian fucked over with THREE of their games with "bad publishers" or were they just beyond incompetent at time management? If it were one, two games, I'd get it, but it's THREE, all done for different companies.

I know in KOTOR 2 Obsidian is very much to blame, they've actually made and finished one planet but didn't like it so scrapped it. The time spent designing, making etc that shit could've been used much more productively, for instance on FINISHING THE GODDAMN GAME

I don't even remember the ending. Wasn't it something like you were the evil guy all along?

You forgot Alpha Protocol

Kreia was.

Actually you beat Kreia, she is pleased that you've surpassed her, pulls out her crystal ball and tells you the future, then you go to the unknown realms or whatever those planets Revan went to are called

Then fucking TORTanic happened, all that build up for a KOTOR 3 turned into a pile of turd when the bigger threat of a True Sith Empire was them being cliched Sith Lords with HURR DURR gonna Force Choke my way to victory! then they redid the same shit with that crappy Knights of the Fallen Empire expack, same story, different version.

I sure love New Vegas and Kotor but yeah, Alpha Protocol is pretty much the epitome of Obsidian Games.

Plenty of great ideas, good writing and ambition packed into a bug-ridden clusterfuck of shit gameplay.
I'd say Obsidian was only ever good for it's writing. The rest of the staff just fumbled along and barely made proper games when they could build on pre-existing assets.

She actually is testing you, but yeah it's pretty stupid no matter the excuse. On the other hand, she never truly hides that she is mostly a hypocrite that pretends shit-talking to action.

Kreia probably frequented the Jedi equivalent of Holla Forums

But ending being shit is also partially fault of cut content that was so unfinished, it couldn't be TSLRCM'd. Initially, you were supposed to fight either Kreia or Atris depending on your choices and how much Kreia liked you.

TORtanic doesn't exist

Ding dong bannu all mentioning TORtanic

I'm on good authority to say "all of the above" from what I know about Obsidian's inner workings. They get really ambitious with their ideas, over promise to the publisher whom is notorious for not really giving a shit (see Sega, Bethesda- as both are guilty of this), and then when the shit hits the fan go into a massive crunch time to try and get the game out. The result is that during that crunch a lot of their ambitious ideas that they spent a lot of time on end up being cut, and it becomes so damn obvious.

With KOTOR2 the reason the ending sucks is because it was originally supposed to take into account your actions throughout the game. Instead they changed it to a damned if you do damned if you don't because at the end of it no one really wins since the whole point of the game is to either find or kill Revan.

Man I tried to play this again a few days ago but the utterly pozzed gameplay makes it unbearable. You can't even do stealth properly.

So many goddamn great ideas and only if they chose a better voice actor for Michael Thornton, it'd be sweet, the damn game could have been another Deus Ex but all we got was a poor man's Ass Defect.

Cancerware needs to die, but muh brand recognition by EA! when all but few of the 20-year veterans already left that shithole.

There were attempts to fix the damn gameplay, but Sega said no, like all of the publishers that Obsidian works with, they only work for them once, then they get discarded, look at Bethesda and Lucas Arts.

Think there were mods that modified all the wonkiness of the gameplay.

KOTOR2 wasn't even the worst case of publisher evil.

VTMB was the true case of the publisher being directly responsible for the death of a game and studio.

My Kotor 1 and 2 review.

Major Spoilers
even with restored content mod, I felt as if the whole entire experience and story of Kotor 2 was watered down, diluted, boring, and inconsitent with itself.

The plot fell flat and didn't seem to really have a huge huge point to it, except for implying that you are revan with memory loss all over again, and going off to find yourself again the ending felt empty and all the boss fights felt painfully anticlimactic and pointless.

the dialog was good in some places but really stupid in almost every other. your chat options were interesting but felt very biased and limited in such a way that when you wanted to reply with black and white morality considering your morals fit the choices, you were forced to choose from options that were all in the gray area and were left choosing something you didn't want to say.

when you wanted to pick a moral choice that was more of a gray area and say what you really meant you were then forced to pick from moral black and white areas that didn't apply to what you wanted to say and often lead to your character unavoidably saying something you were not okay with and these issues would break the immersion of the game severely, because now your character was doing shit that wasn't what you chose for them to do.

the ending was severely guilty of this and broke the immersion for me when my character was constantly forced into betraying everything I had built them up to be by saying very stupid things that were basically the only dialog options. also, almost all the characters in the game just lied to your main character constantly, everything they said was always total bullshit designed to manipulate your main character and get them to believe things and concepts that were absolutely and totally fake so that your character would be afraid, which in some ways made you feel bad for the main character and constantly feel paranoid. this was very cool in some ways, but I also wanted to have allies that I could unconditionally trust. that game deprives you of this, I might say- for good reason…

the game also tried too hard to be edgy and did unbelievably awesome with that in one or two scenes, but awful terrible everywhere else.

It had alot of great features and character and weapon customization and characters and dialog that should have just been a part of Kotor one as a severely longer and more highly detailed game that continued on long after the defeat of the antagonists, possibly with some kind of open world system galaxy travel system and endless planets to explore in depth like in mass effect one (almost did this good, but needs work) the customization still felt incredibly limiting. would have been nice to make my own ship and change it however I wanted, maybe upgrade it if I felt it needed changes and make it look different. maybe be able to fly the ship and fight with it.

I like how it showed that the force has more grey in it than once thought. there's consequences for your actions, be them benevolent or otherwise. kotor 2 was a really neat deconstruction of morality, and what it means to be a 'good' person or a 'bad' person. my point is that it failed to do this, it tried but failed- but it still did a really interesting thing with it but it definitely needed work, and then seriously be improved to good quality.

Kotor 2
spoilers
>wake up after ???? happens and meet kreia
>protects you and gets her hand cut off
>teaches you some cool stuff while also constantly trying to brainwash you
>lies everywhere, everyone lying to you, shes lying to you too, and she is also lying to everyone
>also everyone is trying to make up complete lies so you worry about everything, everything is 100% bullshit
>saves you a few
>then she is like Uh Oh now I have to be the badguy for no reason and fight you but you gotta kill me so that I dont kill you because then you… uhhhh ???? something???
>kreia dies
>you get on the ship and fly away to nowhere for no reason
>THE END

the biggest lie the exile is told is that someones force powers can be taken away. I hate movies like Xmen because they always have to make powers able to be lost for some pathetic reason.

if starwars were real, you could not "lose" your force powers. the jedi masters only want to mess with the exile and use mind trickery to make her get depressed so that she just feels so shitty that she believes that she isn't connected to the force and doesn't try to use it.

some people actually believe that kreia ripped the force out of the jedi masters and thus killed them, but you can clearly see that she used life drain on them, (purple force lightning that regenerates your health concurrently) as this is one of the abilities in the game.

there is no such thing as somone being able to take away the force, 200% bullshit, and that's a good reason why kotor2 is a load

midichlorians are also bullshit, they are not the thing that makes the force, they can sometimes simply be indicators of the presence of the force, and they don't even always show up then anyway

I feel that Kotor 1 was a far superior and much more exciting and enjoyable game with a better plot and story (still kinda crappy though)

I really liked mass effect 1 and Kotor 1, but I didn't like any of the sequels and I don't respect them as real sequels.

I hope you enjoyed my reviews

I played the first one for five hours and quit.

why?

That would imply that people were hyped for KOTOR 2.

some were

Obsidian nearly always falls prey to poor time-management and kike publishers rushing them leading to a lot of cut content and clearly unfinished storylines.

When they do manage to put out a complete product, it's usually really fucking good.

Unfortunately, now that Avellone is gone Obsidian is pretty much dead. Fuck Sawyer

I just wish kotor and nvn didn't base their combat system around dnd and its fucking dice rolls.

Compare them to Blizzard of old, with deadlines "when it's done". That's the difference between a publisher client developer team and an independent one.

Holy shit, it's this guy again.

You said the exact same thing the last time there was a KotOR thread; about the game lying, and comparing it to X-Men and shit.

You said this, too, as though they can't be different force powers (as the game pretty heavily implies, when you examine the jedi masters' bodies and it tells you that they've been severed from the force) just because they share a visual effect in the game engine. They weren't likely to prepare an entire attack effect that would only get used in one cutscene.

Juding from the one reply you got, no one enjoys your shit reviews. Probably doesn't help that no one asked for you personal blog to be posted.

Did you play the restored content mod?

Obsidian has historically stood out for being different from the competition, different from bioware, different from bethesda, embarrassingly better than both despite their games being buggy shit. They achieved this by having a couple of talented writers and rpg veterans at the top - but I guess those people made poor managers even if they were good writers or designers.

It's harder to explain this perspective years and years after the fact, you realize, in any case things are different now. Pillars was kind of the nail in the coffin for any interest I had left in the company. KOTOR 2 ending with the restored content breaks my heart though, man, what could have been.

You again? Geez, you need to take your anti-autism meds.

Why would anybody even read an autistic wall of text that starts with "my review, spoilers ahead" on Holla Forums ?

ME3 had a huge backlash mostly because of the insane amount of hype and broken promises.
It was also a pretty shallow game, and adding a gorillion shallow endings to it won't change that fact.
KOTOR2, despite being unfinished, had some merits to it and interesting parts. There was also no artificial hype.

I really enjoyed NWN2 and MotB, even though the former was a buggy mess.

Alpha Protocol was more or less finished though I suppose you could still argue it was lacking in polish.

The story might have been finished but the gameplay wasn't.

This. They lied about so many things, so many, that it would almost impossible to go back any find every promise that was made during the mass marketing phase.

It's a wonder nobody has made another Star Wars RPG yet. KOTORs showed you just need to slap lightsabers to a shitty D&D game and write a bare minimum plot and you got a dearly remembered "masterpiece".

Beats me. I didn't even read it.

Here is the explanation of the whole plot.

If you played through it without the restored content mod or didn't constantly talk with your party members after every planet then you can miss pretty much everything.

Its well written and the plot holds up, even though they were obviously forced to rush the ending and some things like Nihilus fell short.

You're overreacting. ME3's ending was the end of a trilogy and was just a straight up deus ex machina with horrendous writing. KOTOR2 was set up to be The Empire Strikes Back of a trilogy. It would be best comparing it to Halo 2's cliffhanger.

Also, Mass Effect 3 was complete and appallingly shit on an unprecedented level.

KOTORII was incomplete and managed nethertheless to be merely underwhelming.

Pillars of Eternity was an independent project with no publisher deadlines and it still sucked.

I used to be an Obsidian fanboy, but now I've realized that the only good person in the company was Avellone, and everyone else is a hack.

Which KO would you TOR?

you haven't played it yet.

How many developers from Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian from the NWN 2 period were involved in the Pillars of Eternity project?

he is a demented retard from 4chan who makes these threads so he can samefag them to death

report them and move on

It was actually missing two entire hub areas and a bunch of fluff dialog, according to interviews and remnants in the game files.

kotor2 however is better even if he's samefagging

obsidian>bioware at that time

Didn't Obsidian offer to patch and add in a bunch of the cut content and fix bugs but have the publisher say no, or was that with Alpha Protocol?

Yeah it was pretty fucking stupid. I played full dark side, even made a deal with some general on some planet that he'll give me all the planets force sensetive children for me to turn into servants. And then I got to the end, and my character is like "uh oh an ancient evil has awoken, I being a full dark side sith, am going to self exile myself into deep space so that I can save the galaxy"

Both.

The theme of the game was free will/choice (along with the unintended consequences) and how ultimately it didn't matter because free will is an illusion when the Force exists. Everything and everyone is railroaded into its will and whatever bullshit destiny it has planned. Kreia was cast as the betrayer and she hated it, but ultimately couldn't fight it because it's all predetermined by shit beyond her control. She was betraying you from the start without even realizing it, repairing your severed connection in an effort to kill the Force itself.

Works as meta-commentary for KOTOR and what became Bioware games in general, all this "choice" but ultimately the game doesn't really change because fuck you that's too much work. They set about trying to make a game that wasn't like with Alpha Protocol and had some success, at least in terms of plot if not gameplay and bug testing.

KOTOR2 was never finished though, so nothing is really fleshed out or given proper closure, all you get the core idea.

They did. Obsidian was prepared to patch the whole thing to finish it but the publisher told them they couldn't release additional content. That incident was also pretty infamous. It's how the blame shifted from Obsidian to the Lucas Arts.

These days there are fanpatches to cover a lot of the missing shit and bugs though.

bump

what?
The first game had DLC scant as it was it was still there so why the hell wouldn't they let KotOR have some patches and shit?