Total war

What is arguably the BEST mod for Medieval 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

moddb.com/mods/planetwar-total-war/downloads/planetwar-version-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I really like Stainless Steel.

Thera is good
Tons of unit variety and faction differences from different time periods makes the campaign varied and different every time.
Just to name a few of the factions

The Third Age is one of the best LOTR experiences.

Ther is also Warhammer:Beginning of the End times

This. Once you start using it, it essentially becomes your new vanilla and you forget all about what the real vanilla game is actually like.

hyrule total war for fun, because it completely inconsistent and unbalanced

EB II is good if you liked Rome and are autismal over history.

This besides the shitty auto garrison thing the AI gets

CoWH: Begining of the End of Times

when they fix it

Does it change the way combat works?

What do you mean?
Like getting away from hammer/anvil that's in all Tw?

Shit taste TBH

Kinda sorta?
I'm looking for something that makes the combat more lethal.

Third Age: Total War with the Divide and Conquer submod.

Just wish we could play LotR mods on the new engine.

How about no?

Shogun 2 was fantastic.

I love Shogun 2, it's one of my favorite TW games, but I love it in spite of Warscape, not because of it.

It's a shit, single purpose engine that was meant to simulate line infantry combat and little else. The Rome and Medieval 2 engine is vastly superior in every aspect other than graphical fidelity.

There are some faggots trying to mod a LotR theme on Total War: Atilla

Why they chosed that horrible engine? I don`t know

Likely because there is not much else to chose from.

Every TW game past Medieval 2 was made in Warscape and Attila is the most "functional" of the bunch. That still doesn't fix the lack of proper collisions or the inability of units to retain formations, or prevent blobbing.

Pity no one else is willing to challenge CA at their own game.

I'm downloading it right now. What needs fixing?

Europa Barbarorum 2.
Still a work in progress, but definitely the most ambitious and promising of all the mods.

Shitgun 2 was shit.
I can't believe how people fell for that game just because it had slightly more polish than Empire and fewer fuck-ups.

Wanna play a campaign? I'm sick of playing with the AI.

This, Attila/Warhammer are probably the "best" of warscape

EBII is the only mod I can play anymore, I tried stainless steel and it felt like a couple of notches down. Doing a comfy game as Epiros killing huge amounts of barbaroi, I saved Μεγάλη Ἑλλάς from the Romans and Carthaginians, took some cities from Rome in the peace deal and went east, absorbed the Greeks below me and Makedon as well. Now I'm fighting Thracians and Dacians

I think I only have fall of the samurai, thats not the same as the one you mentioned right?

What exactly is WIP about it?

Still kinda buggy, but it's getting better. I can't say what is missing from EB1 because I never played it. I wish the ai were better at playing the game but that is a series wide problem

Additional custom units, buildings and events (like government and military reforms) that need to be implemented for all of the less known factions and some for the more popular ones.
Obviously a number of crashes and strange bugs that happen from time to time (the biggest one that I found in the latest release happens if you right click on multiple unit cards on the campaign map too many times).

Make no mistake, the mod is fully playable as it is now, it's just that the devs want to use the power of their combined autism to make everything as historically accurate as possible.
Just make sure to quicksave as often as possible and you'll be fine.

Did they change the combat somewhat at least?

Does fullchan have a group or something? Because I'll likely not be able to play until next week.

I learned a lot from the original EB for Rome. Is EB II really much better than it, or in general just a small improvement?

And it's a real pity, because it covers a very interesting period of history that is about as great and diverse in factions and unit variety as Rome was. Too bad they just keep fucking up.

Let me put it this way to show you how much better it is than anything CA has done.

You know the Marian Reforms? The ones that "professionalized" the Roman army? You remember how in Rome CA just made it a lazy scripted even that triggers at a specific date?

Well, in EBII you first need to cross a certain turn number, and you then need to have a character with a the "reformator" trait.

I think it's a pretty great way to handle such an event, with the added plus that you can now have your own general be in the place of Marian.

It plays VERY differently from regular Medieval 2.

Field battles last longer and you can't rout the enemy within the first 5 seconds by just charging from the rear, you actually have to kill the general to have any hope of getting them to run.
Skirmishers will run away as soon as you approach them with cavalry if they're out in the open on their own though, even if the general has high command.

During sieges you really have to surround the enemy from all sides and hopefully shoot him in the back with something once he retreats to the town square if you want to avoid losing at least half of your army.

There is a huge number of rebels that have full stacks within their cities and then another stack patrolling the region on the campaign.
Usually, the army that's in the city is worse than the one outside it and you can take both of them out with a well-balanced stack.
The patrolling rebels will sometimes come to you and besiege a poorly defended city.

Generals take a lot longer to earn high command, but might be because I'm always fighting with a full army, although it makes little sense since I am still usually fighting armies at least twice my size.
I don't know how much difficulty plays into this, but I always played it on VH/VH, so you could have a different experience.

Overall, expect at least a few sleepless nights.

How does it compare to EB for rome?

I'm pretty sure I read that you first needed to have 5 large battles with barbarians and 5 with Carthaginians, then had to have the rest.
Also, I think there's supposed to be more than one reform for each faction.

Bloody Koinon Hellenon have 6 gorillion government/military reforms based on how many Polis they control.

I never played it.
The only thing that I know is different is that the scripts are now automatic and you don't have to activate them.

It's a damn shame too since they really have a monopoly on the genre

Yeah, there's a few more conditions that need to be met.

I'm kind of hoping that once they're done with EBII they decide to make their own game. Would love to see what they could do without the hardcoded limitations of M2. I'd even give them shekels on kikestarter.

I'd love a China/Japan/Mongolia/Korea TW with the same scope of M2 and Attila.

Try to conquer China and Korea as the Tokugawa Shogunate, or be the Chinese, and much like the Romans in Attila, try to stop getting overrun by the Mongols, or as the Mongols actually conquer Japan.

It would be pretty fucking sweet.

Call of Warhammer because easy peasy install for a better campaign and english supported out of the box.

So many units from Warhammer Fantasy that they even included the fucking Regiments of Renown.

Third Age is pretty good but you've got to dig into the scripts to remove a bunch of bullshit artificial difficulty stuff they added. Fucking garrison script is the first thing to go.

Time periods are way off, you'd have to replace the Mongols with the Manchu for it to coincide with the Tokugawa

But China falls apart every 250 years roughly, so there's a ton of options for Asia, they'd probably do the Warring States period since thats the big one that everyone knows

Just make it three eras. 13th century for the China/Mongols/Japan play, then move the action to late 16th/early 17th century for sengoku jidai and the new Shogunate, and finally go Fall of the Samurai because fuck the haters, I simply love the idea behind it, maybe even stretch it to the Meiji restoration and the war between Russia and Japan.

Hell, make the American civil war a DLC while you're at it.

of course it's never gonna happen due to Chinese censorship laws and Sega/CA don't want to get on the black book

I wouldn't exactly want CA to make it because they have been getting progressively more shit as time goes by. Shogun 2 was the last high point they had, and unlike Rome and Medieval 2 it can actually be a challenge. I'm likely one of the few people that doesn't mind Realm Divide because it makes late game fun for once.

I remember early on, going into it fresh from Empire, I didn't bother guarding Shikoku because I thought the AI was too stupid to pull naval invasion. Turns out they weren't and dropped a full stack right on my capital. By the time I had transported my units back the damage was already done, considering I was at war with another clan and I had to restart the game.

First time I actually lost a campaign in TW.

If we are talking hypotheticals then I'd really love someone taking a page out of CK2 and beefing up the character management, make it more RPGs like, allow for ahistorical scenarios that the game can acknowledge and their ramifications, make the battlefield AI not completely retarded, etc.

Why would they censure a game about pre-commie china?
I wish to know.

Because it would involve a scenario where they get buttfucked by the Mongols, and it would give the player the ability to conquer China as Japan.

They are still salty as fuck about the Mongols, just imagine how they must feel about the Japanese.

The Chinese have a ton of censorship surrounding their history for "cultural reasons" and most likely, they want to only show off certain aspects of Chinese history and because they're eternally butthurt about the Mongols and Manchu
The real reason behind why China Total War would never happen is there's no real interest in Chinese history outside of small groups of people

Maybe normalfags in the West. RotK seems pretty huge over in Asia though, and I'd love a, well, Western take on it, especially a TW styled one since KOEI never seems to scratch that itch for me.

Because it's the newest, and they get to be the most modern and shiny LOTR mod this way, which is a shitty attempt to seem better off the bat makes their mod betterer and worth checking out.

Also these orcs lmao

ME2 probably has the highest quality of mods out there. There are so many different overhaul mods that turn it into practically a new game that there's no reason to buy anything from CA.

We will sail no furzer today, mon woi.
Ready to sail.
Ordairs?
As you wish, senor.
Grace adieu, this is an act magnifique that only belongs to men of great valor.

It just looks better in a lot of ways. Units aren't clones anymore, for instance. The HUD is a lot less clustered if you ask me, but maybe thats just my preference. The fucking god-awful city pathfinding from Rome is better, too, I can actually use skirmishers outside in cities in EBII, the dipshits won't decide to run face-first into pikes now.

I could never get into attila.
The combat seems improved but it tries too hard to be grand strategy.

Also because there already is a LotR mod for M2.

I'm actually waiting for Imperial Splendour to come out to make Empire actually worth the bother. I'm just mad they do the same shit as with Darth Mod and shit up the nice interface with historical portraits for no good reason.

If you want to try Planetwar, install it sight-unseen for maximum enjoyment.
moddb.com/mods/planetwar-total-war/downloads/planetwar-version-4

Would love a 30 Years War mod.

Christians defending themselves against Catholic Romanist apostates that love to suck the Antichrist Pope's dick.

I wonder how the TW style of gameplay would handle pike formations, especially Swiss and German ones that were a hybrid with pikes, halberds, crossbows/firearms and shock infantry armed with swords and maces.

Also, I'd love a TW covering the 18th and 19th century, inching close to WW1 but not going there.

Im curious about a WW1 or WW2 game similar to Total War. Having a (simpler) grand strategy part, and then having a battle part, that isnt an autistic simulator clusterfuck. Something like a grander Company of Heroes gameplay, but without any shitty resources recolecting part.

I wish in ME2 you could destroy the filthy Papists forever. Sick of being excommunicated because I didn't #rapefugeeswelcome all the (((Fellow Christian))) Armies into invading my territories.

There's a Great War mod for Napoopan. It's p good the only problem is that the AI can't really handle the huge scale of battle.

That's not a problem, the AI can't even handle the battles in Napoleon to begin with.

Why does Shogun 2's loading screen take so fucking long? I want to play that game without waiting between battles

Have you tried switching to whatever the lower DX option is? I think it allows for 9 and 10 and dropping it down to 9 cut loading times in half for me. Warhammer still has the same problem a thousand times worse though for some reason and I can't find any info on how to fix it short of buying a solid state drive.

Why didn't these retards use the Total Wawa game? The engine in that game is the best I've seen from Warscape so far.

From what I recall Total Wawa has really restrictive/nonexistent modding capabilities as part of the deal with GW.

How so? The Radious mod is a really big mod that gives every faction several unique units and changes the battle system.

I dunno, I'm not well versed on the specifics of modding. From what I recall though the units Radious adds are basically all models and weapons already in the game just swapped around.

What about the giant units and flying units?

All in the base game, unless I'm missing some.

No I mean how would they reskin a large unit and give it unique attack animations? They did that when modding medieval 2.

All the unique units are more or less reskins from what I've seen
You'd need more than reskins for a LoTR mod

Yeah, that's all in the base game

I was thinking that a LoTR mod would be the easiest to make on Total Wawa. They already have Orcs, human models, giant and flying units, and there are no 1v1 battles or shitty charges. Why fucking Attila of all games.

Wait, I thought the map couldn't be modded in warscape?

God dammit man, you are doing gods work.

Speaking of Total Wawa, is there a secret to making orcs not suck ass that I'm just not seeing? They're my favorite race but the complete lack of good anti-cavalry and ranged options makes them feel horribly gimped, especially early on in campaigns when you can't even get any biguns to deal with the chariots the other orc AIs spam and neither orc arrer boys nor goblin archers can scratch them.

Did you know that the Warscape engine isn't actually responsible for the gameplay mechanics? The gameplay engine of the Total War games is really just called the "Total War" engine (pic related is actually the logo for said gameplay engine). Warscape is simply the graphics engine. The gameplay engine for Empire through Rome 2 was, more specifically, the Total War 3 engine (as in 3rd edition of the engine).

We might not have noticed, due to them still using Warscape for the graphics, but the improved gameplay of Total WaWa is probably due to a new edition of the Total War engine.

Is EB2 for ME2 the pinnacle of roman TW?

EB1

Elaborate on the differences

EB1 is finished.

Has the AI even improved in any TW since Medieval 2/Rome?

No joke the AI was best in the original Shogun/Medieval (Mongol Invasion/Gold not included because they nerfed the AI for some reason) and the overall trend has been the AI getting gradually worse every generation, with the exception of Empire where the game would have been harder if they'd forgotten to implement any kind of AI at all.

That said I've heard good things about Warhammer TW, but I haven't bought a TW game since the Rome 2 disaster so I wouldn't know personally.

Rome 2 had the exact same AI issues that the original Rome had, except even more and worse.
It really helps that we have modding.

So you don't have any reasons?

No I mean EB1 is an actually complete mod, EB2 is still WIP, I'm sure when it's done it'll be better but why play a half finished product.

You're assuming that it's worse somehow because there is more to come.
Last I played I didn't run into anything unfinished. Being done does not equate to being better than something unfinished, although it does imply it.
Now, does EB2 miss anything EB has, or are you pulling this all out of your ass?

Yes, you contentious faggot and you can fucking google it because I'm not telling you shit now; you ask a question and get offended and fucking defensive like your married to EB2 when I offer an innocent reply? Mongoloid prick.

You never intended to you idiotic faggot. I simply, and repeatedly, asked for you to tell me what EB had over EB2, and not once did you give a concrete thing. If you had any intention of being helpful at all, you already would have.
I have hardly played EB2 at all, and I wanted to know if it did have any shortcomings compared to EB by someone who had played it, but apparently that's too much to ask your your retarded ass.

to ask of your*

Better to scroll up in the topic, the question was already answered.

Ultimately it's better to see for yourself, though.

Warhammer AI is super good at being annoying. They will micro the shit out of melee cavalry to always get back charges and constantly reorient units to receive charges but in sieges they drop the ball pretty hard by cramming all their infantry onto the walls except for their general who sits behind a gate and all their cav and monstrous creatures and arty just sits in the city square until you charge at them. On offense they tend to do a bit better but will still do retarded shit like sitting cav in turret firing arcs letting you slowly plink them down and building a ton of siege towers without manning them.

I have a favor to ask from you kind anons: could one of you possibly upload the Voice.dat and Voice.idx files (inside the sound subfolder) from the Call of Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times mod? My download was corrupted on that part, and I would just download it again, but I'm one of those poor few who have data limits to their internet (cancuk here), so if there is someone so altruistic, that would be awesome.

Fuck, nevermind. There's more than just that missing. Damn.

Sorry to hear user. You probably want to wait to install End Times at a later date anyway. There's a significant patch that will be coming out relatively soon.

Meant for

Fuck. Was I supposed to invade that shit or buy it out? God fucking damn it.

Army movement stances ruin campaigns entirely and for some reason they just keep making them more and more retarded.

Gonna say Stainless Steel
Heavy Cavalry is OP but hard to come by. Really enjoy it

That's the spirit. How can you pretend to be the successor of western Roman Empire on a straight face if some measly bishop is calling the shots in Rome?

I'm gonna load up the fucking game and do that Though it kind of sucks since I pretty much control the college of cardinals

Hungary has literally been warring with me since the 12th century

England keeps raiding my castles

Spain can't fucking decide if they want an alliance or keep being the corn-sucking traitors they are

My only real bros in this game are the Danes and Polish

honestly, the real issue with Total WaWa is how jewish the DLC is, they've got like 6 or 7 more DLC's they're releasing
The base game itself is fairly decent

This is actually true. The DLC varies in quality a lot, too. It's best to either wait for a bundled sale (Like with ANY DLC-whoring company, see Paradox) or get them from key sellers, not Steam directly.

So I finally got EB2 installed. Holy fuck this economy is rough, what is the best way to bring my economy up to speed with my army?
Also, as rome can 'allies' be turned into colonies directly, or do you have to destroy the 'allies' building and build a 'colony' one?
Also, what penalties do you get for having a non-Imperium general?

For what purpose?
It's absolute dogshit from every perspective except maybe the graphical one.
It's also impossible to mod Warscape games properly due to restrictions imposed by CA because they saw modding as competition for their shitty DLC cashgrabs.

Either disband your units or conquer nearby settlements.
I'd say the second option is much better unless you're an ultra casual.
Build ports and coastal patrols and get trade agreements. Trade is VERY important here.

Allied states are good for improved public order in the city and they let you recruit governors who improve it even further if they stay there.
Proper colonies are only good when the culture shifts significantly from foreign to your own.

Generals that have no imperium suffer command and morale penalties in battles as well as public order penalties if they're governing a city.

Just take the time to explore everything yourself and you'll figure it out.

Let's be real here. He gave Black Orks bows and arrows, he didnt actually add much in the way of content.

In Shogun 2, playing as Chosokabe. Beelined that archery tech for quest and then went for Terrace Farms tech. What tech should I go for now? I don't know which techs are good in this game

Farming is very important. You can get by without military tech for a while but economy only becomes tighter later on.