Thief

So I just completed this game and thought it was pretty good, I'm just about to make a start on it's sequel and I just thought it would be nice to have a thread about this game and other related games.

Holy shit that story was well done, it didn't hit me over the head telling me who was who, it paced the story well enough for me to enjoy the character and the world and I don't know it was just good, why do stories in games nowadays not just stay focused and smooth like this shit.

I've also been playing The Dark Mod and I played the map also pictured which is about as good as any of the equivalent levels in The Dark Project or Gold.

What's your favourite level?

Do I have to play Deadly Shallows?

Why when someone has made an engine that has all the features of the original Thief games is there no Thief remake on it?

Other urls found in this thread:

ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135188
qbittorrent.org/download.php
gamma.cs.unc.edu/WAVE/docs/paperVR.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I also found this it's really slick and I'd love to see a game use this sort of technology, I should be able to listen to my games in as high detail I can see them, ffs.

Thief had a really simple version of this which was useful because so you could pinpoint what direction enemies where moving towards you.

Dishonored had a simple version of this too but I think it was limited to zones, I only noticed strong acoustics in about 2 areas, I feel bad that devs don't push tech like this over graphics.

If you play it for the missions, then no. It's inferior to the two previous ones, and there are TONS of fan missions that are a lot better.
If you play it for the story, then yes, since it brings closure to the overall story with concnetrating on the Keepers.
If you try it, look up the fix that merges the leves into one zone.
DS had the problem that it was released on consoles, and had fragmented level zones.

After Thief 2, I'd recommend Thief 2X Shadows of the Metal Age and then some fan missions.

T1: The Sword
T2: Life of the Party

you made sure to use newdark/the latest tfix for thief gold, right op? Also a thief remake could be legally tricky and very time consuming. Oh and thief uses a complicated sound baking system so every area is extremely distinct thanks to how it determines how sound would bounce around an area during the compiling process.

Oh, and never ever till the end of your days thouch Thi4f.

In Thief 1? Either The Sword or The Mages Guild not many people like the mages guild understandably
You don't have to, but you can see what was the precursor to Thief 4 and what happens to Garret after Thief 2. There is the DS Gold mod, which tries to make it like the original thief games in the areas that you do missions but some things you can't really fix.

I like the mages guild quite a bit. Nice mix of stealth, puzzle solving, and creative level design. Haven't seen a single level like it in all of gaming since.

In the past Thief threads I've seen a decent amount of people who did not enjoy the missions Thief Gold added. Though most of their criticism is towards the Thieves Guild mission.

Thieves guild is neat. Besides backtracking I really enjoyed it.

Were the last three levels supposed to be hard? I found them to be the easiest and dullest levels in the entire game, I liked how the final boss was defeated through thievery, I feel if this game were made today they would have been a regular final boss fight.

So Deadly Shadows is like Invisible War?

I tried to play Thief a few times before but because of how poorly it ran I dropped it, I discovered the newdark installer and was finally able to play it. The audio system is detailed but the one in the video provided blows my mindhow good it sounds, I kind of wish there was a HL2 release with that.

I already did, I didn't even have a good frame to compare it to and I dropped it fast.

I hated the mages guild too much backtracking the best part was bunny hopping around and listening to the guards get mad as fuck running around trying to find me, actually so much of the guard dialogue is great, I couldn't stop laughing every time a guard said "who's making that noise" angrily after breaking the sound barrier bunnyhopping down some of the corridors.

I think the thieves guild is like an inappropriate throwback to the corridors of ultima underworld. By the time you get out of the sewer you're greeted with a very empty feeling house. It's a very unsatisfying mission, too fucking long too. I hate it personally. Everything else? I love. The song of the caverns especially. Terri Brosius is an excellent designer.

The thieves guild mission was a real maze. Challenging to navigate in, but I liked it.

I wouldn't say so personally. There's some stuff in Deadly Shadows I like, and usually The Cradle is regarded as a pretty good level. The major complaint I have with it is that since it was also released on consoles, the levels are broken up and not as large. Overall though, it's more good ol' Garrett being the master thief so I'd say it's worth a play. Though, I have a harder time getting it to run than I do the first two games.

Neat. I only wish I could use headphones when playing thief, my ears are sensitive and I'm worried about hearing loss.

Needs better sampling or workaround.

The issue, one would imagine, would simply be in the way sounds from firearms work in Half-Life 2 (and in most games).

It's inferior to Thief 1 and 2 but i'd say it's still worth a playthrough.

There's nothing like getting to the cathedral for the first time. Let's face it, it's less about being a thief and more like a hero who pisses of a lot of people.

i am the only one who can't find the stuff that you are supossed to steal? i already searched the entire level and i cant find that vase

You can also find out how they completely disregarded the end of Thief 3 and did their own thing.

I meant precursor in terms of design, everything starts to become smaller in deadly shadows, along with there being a hub world.

Graphix patch for Thief Gold is 12/10, would bang.

Really, though, I just finished the first two games, and

[spoiler]

This is probably a reason why T2 had much weaker emotional response from me even though it had better gameplay: it felt like the last level was only halfway to culmination, emotions-wise.

The game would probably be much better if
1) Karras was shown as a fearless, inspired charismatic leader instead of a lispy coward we saw
2) The robots were shown as true descendants of human race: for example, if a mechanist-programmed AI was able to create works of art that are more perfect than anything humans were ever able to create. That would mean that humankind created something that rendered them clumsy, obsolete species, and Karras' motivation would be "hurr, we humans are ugly and don't deserve to be dominating species on this planet and must be replaced with someone far superior" instead of "hurr, I hate ppl and want to be a ruler of the realm of walking toaters".[/spoiler]

That's how it feels to me, anyway.

and what the hell happened to spoilers on this site?

They don't work if you make spaces between what you are spoilering

As long as you don't mind the clumsy "stick your backside to the wall" mechanic.

It's called being an anti-hero. It's done rather well in Thief games.

Separate spoilers
for each line, mang.
[spoiler]Line breaks
ruin them.[/spoiler]

Did you get the fanfixes for it?
TFix for Thief 1. Tafferpatch for Thief 2.

It's actually not bad particularly if you get the Sneaky Upgrade to join the levels up.

Licensing.

Thief and Splinter Cell are the best stealth games.

Naw i'd say that goes against the point of the game.
T1 had you fight a god of chaos. His realms were fantastic and inspired, but everything about him and what he intended was obviously disastrous.
T2 was against pure Order. Sacrificing lifes for control, abolishing faith for blind obediance. Under them there wouldn't be much place for Art. There wouldn't be much place for anything really.

It shows that both sides are bad, pure unresticted Chaos as well as overly restricted Order.

Someone sure sounds like an avid Moorcock reader.

But I still think that chaos beasts are not inferior to humans; they are just different. That is what makes their threat so real and scary: Constantine's vision is viable, what pagans and chaos beasts will create on the ruins of the old world will work just as well as the current civilization.

Wil Karras' creations I just don't see it: they so tremendously inferior to their human creator, and they don't really have anything drastically new to offer. In the end, they do not represent some alternative way of existence, they are just a bunch of clock-work toys, and nothing more.

>tfw you felt bad for killing the entire cave of burricks after finding a "burrick graveyard" cave in Bonehoard because that means they are at least an intelligent as dogs or even elephants

Weren't the servants Karras made just human-clockwork hybrids? I thought that was what he planned to build his "builders paradise" with.

Black Jack did nothing wrong.

I'm pretty sure servants are brainwashed/raised from dead with Precursor masks, and they exist because Builder's Children mechanical hands are clumsy right now (and because of the whole rich houses infiltration thing, yea).

Planning to play this for the first time, should I use any other patches except TFix? Anything for graphics?

Because they got writing teams now. Filled with third rated writers trying to make convulted stories.

I really liked this one
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135188

Although, I heard purist oldfags prefer to play with some other mod which doesn't change the game's appearance as much as this one.

Thief games actually have similar tech, at least it's 1998 equivalent. Get yourself an Aureal card, OP.
Nice video though, it's good to see work being done on audio.

You can do spoilers with double asterisks, way easier.

**just put shit in there
Without the line break**

easier than typing that HTML shit

Taffer will never be a genuine insult.

PCGW lists that one, Necro Project and Enhancement Pack 2, so I'll see which one is best

I'm pretty sure every texture pack except the unfinished Canon one completely go against the original style, and one of them the creator put in puctures of his whore girlfriend in photo portraits in the first mission of The Dark Project.

I have been playing TG. This game is quite the challenge in terms of simple navigation. Levels are difficult because you have no clue where the fuck you're supposed to go and you're guided by an incomplete map and whatever contextual information you manage to gleam from conversations or notes. I am having fun.

The combat is shit, though. Did they make it so incredibly shit on purpose? I mean I get that you're supposed to try and remain undetected, but is it really necessary to make every single encounter with a bumbling idiot guardsman a life threatening situation that is heavily weighted in his favor?

They had dedicated writers for Thief the Dark Project. skillful writers are surprisingly hard to find though, did they all go into writing for things that aren't games or something, or maybe the industry likes propping up shit.

Must've take after her mum or something.

That work is 6 years old made to run on a game engine over a decade old and the data behind it was issued as a SIGGRAPH paper making the knowledge freely available. You will never in your lifetime walk around a audibly believable environment because developers don't want you to.

Obviously Licensing would be an issue but holy shit can't we just get flat level remakes from the originals touched up a bit, the old engine is so fucking archaic, a few fixes like the audio and collision of weapons in The Dark Mod would make the original engine completely obsolete.

I finished Thief:TDP 2 days ago and i really enjoyed it. But i could totally see the plot twist coming from miles when i got to "The sword". Currently im playing Thief 2 and im loving it.

For some reason i always miss like 300-500 loot in every mission, any tips?. AFAIK banners and flags can be cut open but that's it.

I don't like the dark mod, it feels really clunky and default settings have darkness really bright. I've tried playing it many times, but the original Thief engine is 10x better.

They made it more difficult to go against the guards by design. The point was to incentivize sneaking around and attacking with sneak attacks or from a distance. You can still game the guards if you need to by leading them into a hallway and taking them out one by one with a charged overhead attack.

Yes. Yes it literally is necessary.

The only right way of playing Thief is not being detected ever. Pulling out the blackjack means you're a faggot.
Pulling out the sword is basically a failstate.

Game devs fault for not disincentivizing blackjack use.

You can call that the right way, the developers still added gas weapons, flash weapons, and the blackjack into the game for people to use.

That is really the only thing Deus Ex HR and Dishonored did right - Giving bonuses and achievements for doing No Alarm, No Detection, No Deaths runs. Too bad the rest of these games was shit

Where do I even find the game? I've never torrented anything, I don't even know how to find it.

If all else fails you could always buy all three games for 17 bucks on GOG.

You don't know how to torrent?

Wait, it's worse than I thought. You can't find it? Just search for it on GOG or Steam.

Isn't Gold the same as Thief 1 with added missions?

No, no bully pls.

I don't believe that he's weak nor that he hasn't had as much training with swords as the bumbling idiot guardsmen
looks like he's wearing armor to me. Sure, it's not steel plate armor, looks more like a lightweight, hard, leather armor with some chainmail. Doesn't matter. Point is, he's wearing armor.

I feel like they may as well have removed weaponry entirely from the game if they didn't want people using it in the first place. Making weapons ineffective is just shit design that can't be defended.

>>>/reddit/

While I don't disagree with you, sometimes you get detected even when you don't want to, especially when you're new at the game and you don't have intricate knowledge of each level's layout. I got lost in level one because it's so fucking huge and there are guards everywhere. I never got detected because I took my time and made sure to move with caution, but a lot of the routes you can take through an area will lead you to areas you've already been to but from a different entry point. This is a large part of the game's challenge in the first place; when you know where you're going, the game is a cakewalk. Point is, if you're new at the game, you're bound to get caught at least once. When that happens, are you supposed to just lower your weapon and let the guards bitch slap you into a game over screen? Seems like the case.

You don't know how to torrent? What are you, 12? Hell, by age 12 I learned what filesharing was already, so you must be even younger than that. Of course, you're probably playing the fool for 'le ebin trolez', but assuming you aren't, I will introduce you to everything you need, little guy.
Link to torrent client: qbittorrent.org/download.php
Download for your OS accordingly, install it, and then when you've got it running, locate the button with a small plus sign and a chain above it. This button is located at the top left hand corner of the GUI, right under the File tab. You simply click this button and then copy paste the following string of gibberish inside:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:44e17b144c28cd07ee6c58f74a2a6a5e76f9f6a4&dn=Thief%20Gold%20(GoG)

You should then see an active torrent pop up in the center of the screen. Wait for it to download. You will have to specify a destination folder, so I advise that you create something on your desktop like "my torrents" or some shit, and then go into Options > Downloads, and then paste the path for this folder into the "save files to location" text box

Thief Gold is Thief 1 with added missions, yes. So play Thief Gold then Thief 2: The Metal Age.

Regarding the rest of your post, I'm still legitimately unsure if you're serious.

You're a better man than me. Providing all that information.

Not a chance. It's too much clinking and cumbersome.

You're just not cut out for this line of work, friend-o.

ignore paljeet and focus on the audio, paper sauce at gamma.cs.unc.edu/WAVE/docs/paperVR.pdf

I had to look up the location of one of the things I had to steal. It was in some random location. I'm not sure if there were any hints and I just missed them.

>let me out, someone please help, I'm so cold, why won't you let me go
>someone…someone please kill me, why did you do this to me
I just realized that a large chunk of the shit Garret deals with can only be seen by people with Keeper training and that nobody except them truly realizes how beyond fucked this setting is.

After a little digging, I can see why no one uses (second column) when it scales so poorly with dynamic sources. Shame Creative holds the patents to A3D's shit or we could expand off that instead.

It will be if you use it. It can also be construed as an ethnic insult, which would make me happy.

Try setting the audio to OpenAL. That gives something similar.

He's a great character

I fucking hated how Deus EX HR handled exp. Why give me more exp when I limit myself anyways. And why would a game telling me I can play however I want reward me with more shit if I play a certain way.
Especially the headshot bullshit was dumb. Way too easy to abuse that system too.

The way the first Deus Ex does it is better, you get it by completing shit and exploring shit, while the game doesnt look at how you play.

I thought the bonus-xp you got in HR pretty much only compensated for the loss of XP you didn't get for each kill.

But then again i know we have autists who did the entire levels sneaky and then backtracked to kill everyone to grind XP.

Thief was a truly unique game and tells a lot about the state of today's game industry where there's been no effort to even try and copy Thief's design much less progress from it. The games industry has no game designers today and story writers are below shit level. We would make better game designers than most of the trash that are on dev teams, same for the writers who don't know a lick about presentation and atmosphere creation.

You gained more for a non-lethal kill than a lethal kill and more than that if you shot them non-lethally in the head. Combine that with the massive bonus for not being spotted and no alarms and you're rolling in XP if you follow the boring playstyle the devs intended. Instead of fixing this in MD they just tried to make the essentially enforced non-lethal gameplay less boring.

Not really possible with the amount of supernatural shit and monsters you've got to fight. Remember Thief wasn't originally going to be a stealth game.

One of the TDM maps had a knockout limit on expert mode, I wish all the thief games did that.

Ghosting is fun but it gets tedious on repeat playthoughs. And knocking everyone out is really lame and super ez mode.

I got to a compromise where I try to do maps as efficiently as possible and only knock people that are directly in my way.

I think they can do better than just putting in a knockout limit , AI could assist by allowing guards to notice when other patrols are behind, or maybe even being able to notice when they just walked over an unconcious body in a dark space.

I just bunnyhop around the map as hard as I can, guards hear me and go ballistic, I had a trail of 4 or 5 guards run into one room because I had made so much noise.

Takedown then. I hear non-lethal takedowns are always the most silent takedowns anyway.