What video games really DO have the deepest lore?

What video games really DO have the deepest lore?

Other urls found in this thread:

marathon.bungie.org/story/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Five Nights at Freddy's

The Elder Scrolls, if you take the time to actually read the in-game books.

Crusader Kings 2. Literally has all of human history up until the middle ages.

Honestly if you wanted to get into it simply by looking at "deepest lore" it would probably, actually, be the souls series. When you talk about "depth" all you're really talking about is how many layers there are and how much interconnectivity there is, which the souls series undeniably has lots of. Most bosses have a story, there's lots of connections between games, most areas have a story–even relatively basic equipment sets and NPCs often have stories. Hell, even the regions never shown in the game have lore, simply by virtue of all the shit you learn about equipment, spells, npcs, etc. that hail from those places. As an example: we know a considerable amount about places like Vinheim and the Dragon Academy, a prestigious sorcery school with a darker underbelly.

That said, while depth is certainly a good quality it's not an indicator of overall quality. Depth is good but it can often give rise to abstruse storytelling and unless the story is actually meaningful then it's just a pointless extension. Better to have "some good content" than "lots of bad content" and all that.

Are you fucking retarded, every rpg has that fucking premise for lore. Fuck off. Souls games have barely any fucking lore, but the atmosphere is what makes the game have weight. The faggot who wrote most of the shit cant even fucking read his own language well.

I fucking hate this souls lore meme shit.

Also second this.

I never found any lore when playing any of the souls, they were fun games for the gameplay and I very much enjoyed all the medieval weapons and armor. However lore was not to be found.

Oh, its there, but its usually just an npc saying one bit of text or some simple description on an item. But soulsfags will circlejerk it death and back. I hope FromSoft releases a lore book soon and shows that it is all shit and they have no idea what they are doing story wise.

Souls lore exists, it's just impossible to consume it except in wiki form, which, to me, is not very entertaining.

Destiny, imo, has extremely good lore, though I wouldn't necessarily call it deep, and it's also impossible to consume except in wiki (or card) form.

Other than those games, the only thing that comes to mind would be extremely storied RPGs with multiple entries building on each other. Your Elder Scrolls and your Final Fantasies and whatnot.

You are actually 100% legit retarded.

AHAHHAHA
holy fuck souls babbies found a new way to embarrass themselves

What?

I am surprised how fast Dark Souls 3 threads just fucking died, you see Bloodborne pop up more often then DaS3.

Gehrman has a prosthetic hand, Bloodborne confirmed for deepest lore

(checked)
fukken saved

I'm just going to say what everyone already knows but is too proud to admit: Warcraft.

You won't find any game with deeper lore than Marathon. It's amazing how much subtleties and secrets can be found underneath a FPS game with text terminals.
People spent over 20 years just analyzing the story from all possible directions, just look at this page: marathon.bungie.org/story/

Ha, no, Warcraft is Disney tier fantasy lore and once again, is shitty.

I wish Bungie had done this further with the halo series (pre 343 obviously)

I mean, Halo lore is one of my nostalgic favorites but it's by no means "deepest lore"

While I'm not sure if souls has the "deepest" lore or not, I agree with most of your points user.

Zelda.

I wouldn't consider it to be particularly deep, but the lore from the Metroid Primes is certainly a fun read.

Warhammer 40k or fantasy, they have multiple books about lore

If you read the bestiary FF12 has some pretty deep lore.

Eternal Darkness

It's a shame that dubs went to a Reddit faggot.

since when is it cool to hate souls games

Fallout has a lot of lore, As does world of warcraft, which got irredeemably horrible with the time traveling bs. IIRC gothic has a lot of lore, as well as Neverwinter. If you consider white wolf lore all apart of vtmb, it also has a lot of lore, though most of white wolf is entirely cancerous nowadays. Diablo has a decent amount of lore. Divinity Ego Draconis Not the divinity series recently, the dragon transformation one has a decent amount of lore as well.

Pretty much this tbh.

This is some top tier bait

He's probably one of those faggots who actually listens to vaatividya and his fancanon Nice trips

DaS2 felt like a fanfic gone too far and I haven't played enough of 3 to comment

there's also plenty of Nintendo games that have a massive build up of lore simply due to how long they've been around

I guess it counts since they threw in werewolves, though the oWoD games never really meshed well together, unlike what they did with nWoD where it's all designed around the same base world

If were talking about a straight up stand alone vidya? (as in not based in an established universe like 40k), then my vote would be for Elder Scrolls.

All the splats mesh well together but the lore suffers for it, for the most part at least. Changeling and Hunter got better, and Demon is at the very least more interesting. Howeber, the core games(Vampire, Werewolf, and Mage) all lost a lot of their charm with the narrative switch in nWoD.

Focusing on Vampire, all the cool shit with Caine and antediluvians and shit, vampires literally being from biblical times, isn't there in VtR. Pretty much all ancient Vampire lore, including their origin, is lost due to the new way torpor is handled, with it's Fog of Eternity bullshit.

The lore of nWoD is, by design, incomplete, with a Storyteller expected to create new content and explanations for the events within their games. This is coupled with a focus on smaller, more local powers, with few/no characters have country-wide or international influence.
oWoD on the other hand was more fully fleshed out, with a complex history and meta-plot. oWoD also featured characters with global, even cosmic, reach.

That's changed since 2e, Dark Eras provides lore and history isn't forgotten anymore due to Torper where Fog of Ages is basically bad luck for certain elders. Still not biblical but why the hell would you want another biblical vampire when it was already done?

And always took the spotlight of the PC characters in adventures, just because oWoD has deepest lore doesn't mean every aspect of that is a good thing.

Marathon lore is actually scary.

The fact that TUUUUUUUUUUUBES spawned from the lore and research data in the game is a small testament to the love that was put into the Prime series.

Image only partially related.

define deep
Do you think gods and death and themes like that are "deep" or do you think subtlety and secrets are deep or do you think a lot of world building is deep or is really high quality world building deep?

How about no you fucking retard.

Some would say that Paul Masson's Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep flavor. What they mean is it tastes good. MWUAAAA

Real life.

At the end, we all wake up from our cryopods to the smell of smoke and fire.

Maybe you nihilistic atheists wake up to the smoke and fire of your own bodies burning in an eternal holocaust. Take some time to learn about your lord and savior Jesus Christ and maybe you won't have such pointless thoughts.

Tetris. After the 20834790th line shit starts to get metaphysical. Although a bit long winded when it tries to explain the double slit experiment. The best way to explain that is to be concise and impactful. Like TV.

Hear, Hear!

Stating the obvious here, Planescape. Since its an AD&D game and putting another 2-3 layers on top of everything that already happened, you could tell countless stories out of that box.

Meh. The books are filled with transcription errors. No one reads them anyway. It's all about the epic gameplay.

t. Pete Hines

But it's true that the TES games have some nice lore to them when it comes to the metaphysical aspects. My biggest complaint with TESO, aside from its existence, is that it just tried stuffing so much lore to the point it was all rendered generic. The game plays like an encyclopedia with no natural flow.

You later find out, in the DLC that comes after Real Life, that Jesus is an atheist.

truly the deepest plets

Matthew 7:1-2
Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Warhammer
literally books of that shit

Surprised no one mentioned Legacy of Kaine/Soul Reaver games.

I'd say Elder Scrolls though. Its deep as in there is a lot of lore, but also the lore itself sparks metaphysical debate of existence and reality.

Soul Sacrifice is pretty decent when it comes to lore. Sucks that it's Vita-exclusive.

Elder Scrolls doesn't have good gameplay. Not a single Elder Scrolls game does any aspect of its gameplay well in any way. It has never done anything that other games haven't done better. This meme has to stop.

TES.

Lore=Autism

I play games for the GAMEPLAY

Why did you feel the need to tell this in a thread about video games with lore

Warhammer 40k?

None. There is a reason that the arts degree graduates who find themselves writing stories for video games haven't won a Pulitzer Prize between all of them. Read a book.

jesus what the hell's going on here?