Smash Mods/Fangames/Clones

Post and discuss Super Smash Bros. mods, fangames, clones, and whatever else, whether it be for fun or for competitive play. I'll start with this Brawl mod called Smash Bros Legacy XP.
Here is the download link:
forums.kc-mm.com/Gallery/BrawlView.php?Number=212860

Other urls found in this thread:

drive.google.com/open?id=0BxZMNpERcBNqQ2x0NnJjV3B3NEE
drive.google.com/open?id=0BxZMNpERcBNqVEJueHZXcEdFcUk
scrollsoflore.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1511626
dimensionsvs.tumblr.com/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL87hb-q85ABwGONPJnQAJisyITyA8H8dD
twitter.com/AnonBabble

simbly ebin

Reminder that Smash autists would rather waste time hacking console games with the ever present fear of DMCAs/CnDs over their heads when they could just make their own MUGEN engine for platform fighters that gives them full control over the game and has no fear of DMCA.

This is my favorite

Some Smash autists actually bother making their own vidya, though.

There have been multiple projects that tried to do this and most of them barely went through the alpha phase or even the ideaguy phase. Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Smash Bros. Crusade may be made from the ground up, but those games don't feature MUGEN-levels of customization or allow fan-made content. This is probably the closest one could get to an independent MUGEN-esque Smash Bros. engine.

Then again, it's probably easier to modify a preexisting engine than to make one from scratch. And Nintendo would DMCA the engine as soon as someone made Nintendo content on it, anyways.

Is this the fork of Project M XP? I remember having that just because of the gorillion stages. Couldnt give two fucks about the competitive scene. Looks nice, plus mew characters are always fun.

Sure, make your own games instead of designing cool mods that lengthen/enhance a game you enjoy

The developers of the mod said that Legacy XP is the merging of Super Smash Bros. Legacy and Project M XP, so yes.

Will remember this for when I get a Wii/Wii-U later in the year. I don't know why Metal Sonic is a thing but it's better than Knuckles.

And that game is horribly underrated. They could only get a handful of people to work on it with them. The rest spent 3 years waiting for the WiiU to be hacked so they could put wavedashing into Smash 4 when they could have spent that time making a beautiful custom engine designed around the idea of tools to assist in user made content.

Holy shit, were you born retarded or did you eat paint chips as a kid? You can't DMCA an engine because someone produced copyrighted content using it. If that were the case then every engine that's freely accessible(Namely Unity, Unreal, Source, GameMaker) would be shut down.
Your whole argument is the shittiest thing I've ever fucking seen. If your argument were even remotely true than the very same MUGEN engine that Smash clone was made in would have been shut down years ago. That shit's got fucking Family Guy and other characters that companies have a huge stick up their ass about yet I don't see SaltyBet getting any cease and desist letters.

That's not really a good argument when you're talking about console games. Every time a Smash game comes out the community has to wait several years until pirates crack the console it's on and then even after that the community has to go through the troubles of figuring out the ins-and-outs of the game. And then do other things that aren't as straight forward as regular mod tools or direct access to the source code such as hex editing.
Would you rather go through all that time and effort for each Smash release, or would you rather you get a GMOD or MUGEN engine equivalent? If the answer isn't the latter, then I don't know what else to say to you other than state the fact that you're autistic. And before you say "Well why don't you do it if you care so much?" the answer is simple. I would if my financial situation allowed me such freedom but right now I'm just trying to work up to a place of financial stability.

Dude, it's just a joke on Nintendo's innumerable DMCA notices. Calm down.

>>>/reddit/

Sorry if I missed the joke. I'm just getting frustrated by the faggots who defend modding console games. It's an unnecessary amount of effort and is fucking stupid.

I'm waiting for it to leave early access before considering buying it. Is it actually good?

Also, has anyone tried Brawlhalla? It's a smash clone on steam that's F2P. My friend was shilling it to me today, and I wanted to know if it's actually good.

Never tried Brawlhalla.I never thought it looked good enough to.
Rivals of Aether has all 8 of it's characters and is mostly feature complete. I'd say it's worth the buy.

personally fam a nigga can't get into it b/c it's too different from smash while not bein different enough. basically a nigga too old to really pick dis shit up but I ain't mean to throw shade on da game itself tho boi cuh da nigguhz put a lot of heart in 2 it feel me.

I know you can buy it on the xbone now so its basically done as a "finished" game

:^)

Never played Brawlhalla, but from what I have seen the characters feel very copypastish since there are 9 weapon movesets and each character has a combination of two weapons.

All your posts boil down to
If there was ever an appropriate use for "self-entitlement," this would be the time.

Brawlhalla is a good game but still on early access. It has good things and bad ones:

Good shit
- A lot of game modes (Timed, Stock, Stock but each life with a different character, a weird football game, a weird basketball game with bombs, that one rayman mini game of the beach, Dodge ball but with bombs and small place to manouver…)
- Custom games that you can find easily, create and or join. They also give you in game currency (Gold)
- No pay to win, 0. Everything that you can buy with real money is just cosmetics. You can't even buy advantage over someone that started the same day, the only thing that matters is experience.
- Even though characters are behind a in game currency wall (Gold) you can try them all in singleplayer before buying any with your grindy money (it doesnt take as much time, the most expensives are 5.4K when you get an average of 50~ Gold per match, that usually goes for 4 minutes or 5). EVERYTHING gives you gold, even private matches with bots or custom matches, whatever you do, you get gold.
Since the characters are locked, they give you 6 characters for free each week randomly. Every wednesday the rotation changes.
- Some nice combos
- Daily bonus. You get gold by logging in daily and they give you "missions" as in, win or play twice with X character for extra gold.
- Dodge cancels into specials, AKA "signature moves".
- Nice sense of speed; you can throw your weapon to someone else and catch it mid-air back, or you can throw your weapon up, do an unarmed combo and grab your weapon back to get a combo out of it, as an example.

Neutral
- Locked Characters. Grind to unlock if you want them online.
- A god damn GG button when you finish the match, it's too hard to write GG it seems that we need a button for that.
- Every characters have of moveset unarmed and two weapons (it is pointed next to the stats which weapons).

Bad shit
- Everyone has the fucking same body / model. EVERYONE.
- Everyone shares the SAME moveset unarmed and everyone shares the SAME LIGHT moveset with that type of weapons (only the light one). For example, with gauntlets up+light attack is a grab-throw like attack, every character that uses gauntlets will be able to do this move.
- Uninspired as fuck content that is generic. It does it's job, but it's the typical "We have a minotaur, we have an alien, we have a valkyrie…"
- Cringeworthy taunts if you spend money, they're memes. Like "deal with it" while the glasses are dropping from the sky, or just an emote of the character throwing salt. You can even do a dodge cancel so you can taunt in the air
- The dailies are only available on Free For All (Timed points). Expect premades going 2v1v1 because they suck or guys giving points to their friends and ruining the match. Or just the typical guy that stays away from the fight and goes in to pick up kills and win afterwards.
- A feature "stances" that changes the stats of the characters slightly are not available on Rankeds. I think it's a bad shit since its a feature out of it when it could add some depth.
- When there is a lot of fucking chaos, since F2P has the same guy-model that grabs you and puts you back in the fight, sometimes you get lost when in a 8 FFA match. The dude that gets you there reminds me of that one super mario cloud guy, however the only way to change his model is with real money.

Overall is a great free to play party game. You should give it a try.

I'm sure every faggot who was hacking 2D fighters before MUGEN came out said the exact same thing it's creator. A whole bunch of "Wah! Why don't you have fun in the same overly-complicated way as the rest of us? Why do you want better tools to make custom fighters?"

I don't understand. What does it do?

According to their website, in the SSF special mode:

Essentially, the Smash Flash 2 devs are aiming to make the new game mode play as closely as video related.

hey anons, i'm looking for a smash mod that was taken down recently, it apparently had amy rose as a replacement for sonic and just finding out about this i wanna be a pretty pink hedgehog like the faggot i am
also i used to have a huge crush on amy
have a sexy smiling CDI zelda

Fuck, I might actually have fun with smash again.

can we talk about actual mods and releases?
anyone can dump this?

It's trash.

I always wondered what the longevity of the average Smash mod was. Something like PM became widespread because of - correct me if I'm wrong - Brawl's oversimplification of Melee's mechanics, in addition to its own merits, or in spite of its lack of merit depending on how you look at it.

Given that Brawl kids who like shitty games have Tr4sh to play now, and Melee is as big as it is, what's the demographic for stuff like this? I get that there are always creative/autistic types who like expressing themselves through mods, but it seems as though there are so many mods competing for the spotlight none of them will ever have it.

Holla Forums pls

Impressive. Here's the download links to the mod:
EU link – drive.google.com/open?id=0BxZMNpERcBNqQ2x0NnJjV3B3NEE
US link – drive.google.com/open?id=0BxZMNpERcBNqVEJueHZXcEdFcUk

Probably for those who wants Melee-esque gameplay while having as much content or more content than Brawl since Brawl modding is far more in-depth than Melee modding.

OH MY GOD MY FUCKING HERO THANK YOU SO MUCH user! I LOVE YOU PLEASE ACCEPT THIS AS A TOKEN OF MY APPRECIATION!
you probably have it but, here's a lost/unfinished warcraft game from the 90's finished now! scrollsoflore.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1511626

not bad

So… Playstation Allstars?

Technically, that falls under Smash clones, such as video related. I know there are better Smash clones out there, but you get the point.

I like having a lot of content, too, but it's a bit pointless if nobody plays the mod, isn't it? Although I can't really blame them for following a more popular scene in a more easily moddable game.

I actually put off watching that video since I figured it'd be cancer and it didn't disappoint. Jesus, who gets so mad about Fox being good he needs to nerf the character that hard? I hate getting combod by Fox as much as the next guy but the whole point of a mod like Scrumpy's is to make the shitty characters viable, not to fuck with the high tiers any more than PAL already did.

Oh I didn't see clones in the op. Either way I just making a shitty joke

Nairo's faggotry aside, Amy and Brown Palutena look surprisingly good. Mr. Krabs, too.

fuck you I spit out my drink

I fucking adore the community of this game.

WE NEED A Holla Forums PLAYS ASAP

I'm having a lot of fun with Brawl Minus. The new mewtwo and Waluigi play a bit odd with their hitboxes really hard to gauge. But I like their gimmicks. Mewtwo moreso than Waluigi.

Kinda wish it was more popular. But eh. I'm getting tons of fun hours in this. I hope they finish working out all the characters so I can do events with these broken ass characters.

LOL

jesus

Don't forget

At least we got Bandana Dee from all of this.

It is bad when there's a better way.

Yet no one has done the better way right so far.

That's because of a few things. You get scenarios like:
A) Smash Flash 2 where they just wanted to make Smash Bros but with a handful of extras.
B) You get things like the Wavedash Games fuckers putting something that looks like it has potential together. But then they want it to be an esports f2p game so that means no mod support(According to them in their own words anyway).
C) The big problem of no one's tried to make Smash Bros equivalent to MUGEN. People have tried to make Smash Bros in MUGEN itself but no one's tried to make an engine for 2.5D platform fighters with strong mod tools like MUGEN has.
I have no idea what's keeping a small team of programmers from making a MUGEN engine equivalent for Smash Bros. I follow platform fighters very closely and I've seen teams with less than five people churn out working prototypes in less than 6 months for their platform fighter with features not seen in Smash Bros(Like a full color wheel to alter a character's colors and not just 8 palette swaps). So it baffles me that no one's thought to get 5-10 programmers together and make such a thing a reality.

Why wouldn't they just finish up the work that the PM team started?

You act like doing something like that, and doing it well, is easy. Building an engine like that from the ground up is difficult and time consuming. Modding an existing engine in which there are already tools for and documentation is much easier, even if it is on a console. Those who make these mods usually don't have enough of an interest to dedicate to making an engine like that. Instead of complaining that no one makes something like that, why don't you either learn programming and start on it yourself, or try to get together a team to make that kind of engine. Whining that people are doing things they want in a way you don't want them to is just being a brat.

I am learning to code but I've had to put it on hold since my current financial situation doesn't allow me a lot of free time. Once I've developed enough competency with code I'll make an attempt to assemble additional members. Until then I'm just gonna bitch about the fact that no one else has done this already.

If you look at the comments of the original trailer you will find a couple faggots that seem to be devs talking about how they decided not to finish the PM dev teams work out of respect. Which is fucking retarded because the PM dev team doesn't deserve shit after they chickened out at the first sign of Nintendo doing something.
It seems the Brawl modding community will be perpetually butthurt about the leaked characters as long as the remnants of the PM dev team and it's dedicated army of cocksukers are allowed to stay relevant.
TL;DR the Legacy XP team is a bunch of faggots.

I prefer PM's gameplay and character selection to melee's. I'll still enter in melee brackets, but will not go out of my way to a melee tourney unless PM is at the venue.

legacy is shit

Maybe it's because it's actually a lot fucking harder to do what to you're talking about because it involves building a fighter with a focus on platforming physics from the ground, let alone one that's designed to be infinitely expanded upon with user content.

I mean do you ever wonder why most Smash clones are fucking shit (both fanmade and otherwise)? You can't just get few codemonkeys together to shit even a simple one out and expect anything decent out of it. It takes two and coordination, much more than you're letting on, you fucking faggot.

Yes it's difficult but it's not impossible nor is it as difficult as you make it out to be. When I look back on it maybe the idea of creating an engine for it from scratch is needless.
You could achieve the same thing faster by using something like UE4 or Unity where building good mod tools is definitely something you can do. When I was posting before I was thinking more from an aspect of making the engine and tools from scratch so you can maximize the control the user has over the engine. Which if you have the time, budget and manpower is definitely something you should want to strive for.
But being realistic on what a small team could do using an already established engine that has mod tool capabilities and pre-established like UE4 would be one of the best choices available to a team that wants to make something like an infinitely modifiable and expandable Smash Bros.
Still doesn't change my mind that the mod community really should have built their own platform so they wouldn't be limited by console hardware or the release schedule of official Smash Bros entries.

Fuck me if that isn't the shit ties sort of argument ever uttered on the internet. Go be nodev in another thread.

*the shittiest

So what's the general consensus for Super Smash Flash 2? I know there's shit like the game being made in flash and 4 animu characters in the roster, but the game seemed to be pushing the limits of flash, especially with confirmed native controller support for the next build, and anime characters seem to be a rosterfag meme at this point.

Actually try reading my post you double nigger I never say that it's a fucking cakewalk you illiterate trash.

I never understood the autistic rage over the Weeb characters. They literally tuck them into the corner of the character select screen and there are dozens of other characters to choose from.
Honestly I cant wait for the Beta.

I know some people currently working on a smash-inspired game in UE4

dimensionsvs.tumblr.com/

Since Rivals of Aether has already been brought up, here's some footage from a recent tournament. The Grand Finals are notable for being between Etalus and Kragg, widely considered the two worst characters in the game. If you decide to get it, consider following the dev on Twitter. He gives away codes for the promo skins and the game itself pretty often.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL87hb-q85ABwGONPJnQAJisyITyA8H8dD
Apparently he's working on the first post-release character, which would be a wind-based animal in a mecha, with the ability to overcharge itself.

INTO THE TRASH

Oh, yeah, and the dev and the PR guy both entered the tourney that I linked footage from. They got bodied, though.

Did you buy it?

I bought it when it first hit Steam last September.

I like that the characters are mashups of other characters. Shame they haven't updated the tumblr in a while. Sucks that you have to go to their facebook and their YouTube if you want to see any of the other content

Captain Dandy and Standbot looks cool, though.

That's Meta Knight fused with Artorias in Ike's pose. And the little girl seems to be a mashup of Mario, Roll(Megaman Legends design) and the Engineer.
The second one honestly is just cartoonishly buff Commander Shephard. Probably the least interesting design out of the whole lineup.

These are pretty neat designs. Will have to keep an eye on this. Standbot a best.

Found more goodies on their Facebook page. Including a shot with two more characters and alt costume for Captain Dandy

How do I git gud? Who should I start with?
I played quite a bit of Smash 4 and main King Dedede

To add to what the other guys said (samey characters, LoL pay model, etc.), Brawlhalla's recovery is absolutely stupid as fuck. Every character gets 4 jumps with floaty movement (think Kirby/Jigglypuff, forgot whether that includes up special), and every single jump resets if you wall jump. Also the max damage possible makes you take knockback like having 100-120% in Melee, so it's really, really hard to finish people off. But yeah, really samey cast overall.

Just play RoA instead, it's very faithful to Melee physics-wise. There are some general mechanics differences, but parrying is a cool replacement for shield/stationary dodge among other things. Biggest draw aside from feeling a lot like Melee is that most of the characters are really inventive, even when copping moves from actual Smash characters. Except Zetterburn, but he's supposed to be basic.

As an avid Rivals player, every character having 4 jumps would be terrifying. Especially a decent Kragg. I switched to Wrastor recently and Kraggs have been shitting all over me. Absa would be pretty scary with Kirby jumps, too. Her aerials are already extremely powerful. Just imagining 4 sweetspot FAirs in quick succession.

Yeah, but the worst part is that just about everything except for huge, telegraphed moves doesn't kill that well, especially in that context.

It's that "balance by making everything really mediocre" philosophy. At least if you did that with Rivals it'd have sort of an "everyone's a glass cannon" feel instead. It'd be unplayable but it at least it wouldn't feel weak.

Yeah, the game has balance issues because some stuff is just better than it needs to be, but it does make the game more fun. I play against an Absa, I know that I don't want to be above them because their forward air will rape me. A Zetterburn will probably fireball into fsmash because they all think that's a true combo. If I play an Etalus, he'll get wrecked because Wrastor just destroys Etalus.

I love it

online blows though cause you have to reset every match or 2 if you can even get in a match

start with mario, learn some melee tech

once you've got a feel for spacing and movement and some basic combos go through the roaster and find a character that interests you, then see if they fit your hands.

find either local places to play or going on anther's ladder for getting good.