Gone and Forgotten

Gone and Forgotten relics of gaming

I remember playing darksiders on that on my old very bad computer. it was a really fun experience since my internet wasn't that bad.it was a good idea but I don't anyone would be too serious about it.

epic meme, XD

OnLive is alive and well. It's called PSNow now.

also didn't nvidia have something similar ?

relic implies something worth treasuring

To me it just makes me think of useless shit we've done up in nigger areas.

Name a useless relic. Name one.

I thought all relics are useless and that's why they become primarily temporal symbols of times past; of sentimental value only. Antiques are old and anachronistic, but still useful.

Panda 3D.

Nvidia has a server GPU line aimed at the VM providers. I am not sure anybody is using it for a cloud gaming service, though. You can try it out yourself by spending a few cents on a GPU instance at Amazon's AWS.

They also have streaming functionality in their windows drivers that allows you to stream you own games, from your own PC, to other computers and mobile devices. Same as steam's game streaming, only without the need for any kind of account.

I actually liked that. I had a shit computer but had good internet so I was able to abuse the 30 minute trials they had.

It wasn't terrible except for the fact that fucking every game played like a low quality youtube video.

I'm hoping high-end VR will see the birth of a new generation of arcades. Very few people can afford a headset, SLI 1080s and a full cockpit but I think some people, myself included, would happily pay a couple of bucks for a go on the best hardware available.

Don't count on it. A bunch of millenials want to open a VR arcade in my hometown. They have the funding, they have a location, they have the tech, they have the staff, they even had official support from valve. What they don't have is worthwhile content, however. Nobody is going to pay by the hour to play tech demos.

Depends on their target market, if they are hoping to get more millenials in then they don't really have any content but if they target the old audience they should get a shitload of simmers coming in as every sim worth a damb has had VR support for over a year.

The one thing VR needs is VIRTUA COP. And possibly House of the Dead. I'd play those on a VR headset.

I thought about this a lot and how I'd open one if I were rich. You coul call it a "VRcade" its perfect. And it could be like laser tag where you just pay for like an hour session or something and go and play. It would be 10/10

Yeah, they are going for "room scale" rather than cockpit stuff. But, they might have a point. Most people who are into sim genres don't mind plunking down a few thousand [currency] for hardware every few years. Never mind that even a few hundred [currency] can buy you a really nice setup, nowadays.

You don't need to be rich yourself to start a business. You just need a concept that sounds enticing enough to rich people, and the ability to sell it to them.

That is exactly what I was thinking, then you would get groups of mates coming in just like they did 15 years ago for Daytona.

While I agree many hardcore simmers would drop whatever they could afford to get the best at home experience I still think the option of classic arcade PvP with your mates would still bring some in.

While it certainly wouldn't be your core business I also think you would get a lot of older guys that aren't really into vidya now but haven't been in an arcade in 20 years and come in for a look / hear about it. The last system my dad owned was a PS1 (as in the first ever PS, fuck you Sony) and he got it because of seeing a mates steering wheel and sim setup. He hasn't touched vidya since but I'm willing to bet that him and his mates would go at least once.

You know what, rail shooter might just work on VR. is there any such game on steam now?

This remind me of another relic of the past, cyber cafe and LAN party

fuck, forgot pic

I'm sad now.

Goddamn it, we still have Cyber Cafes around, but LAN parties are rare.

Also, Projector console parties, N64 and PSOne tournaments of Gran Turismo, Mario Kart, Mortal Kombat 4, and Smash Bros.

There are still cyber cafes & LAN centers around, but they're very rare. Many of them have tabletop gaming areas and sell WotC products in order to stay afloat.

That sounds like a wonderful place, but I'm being optimisitc; Have you been to any? Are they decent?

Fug, didn't embed.

In my experience, at places like that the computers are outdated and the computer areas are falling apart, because maintaining tabletop gaming areas is just much cheaper

Smaller lan parties seem to be rare, but for me, in belgium, lan parties aren't that rare. If I wish, I could probably do multiple of them each month (not that I could afford that). That said, being in about 3 organisations that organise lan parties does help to find them. I do about 6 lan parties a year, and thats plenty for me. As with most people that actually organise things, I have grown tired of gaming on lan parties myself anyway. Mainly doing board games and drinking now. The good old lan games see very little play these days anyway, and that with some of our lan parties being specifically targetted at not playing the usual competition games.