"Real" Future Techology

With all the shitty "Real Hoverboards" (being mono-wheel skateboards) and "Real flying cars" (being big ass quadcopters), I expect that a lot of fictional futuristic tech could be made "Real" in a really shitty way.
ITT: We come up with such shit

An extending grabby arm in a bulky box

Suburban ski lifts that break down every half-hour
Five-Hour Energy drinks and steroids
Someone hits you in the back of the head with a brick and you wake up in Thailand with no kidneys already available today

Laser pointer. Aim for the eyes.
A bottle of water and some seeds so just like the source material.

Bad video games

Shitty $3000 headsets from Microsoft
Buy today

Laser pistols are real though, DIY guys try to make them as a hobby and succeed posting their results on Youtube. They're just so energy intensive that it's only like an effective range of a foot and if you stare directly at it unshielded you're permanently blind instead.

VIDEOGAMES
I
D
E
O
G
A
M
E
S

But why…? We already have helicopters and they're better.

So, basically handheld laser cutting tools?

They mostly don't go past being able to heat a balloon enough to pop it. Lasers as weapons are not going to happen anywhere in the forseeable future. They can, however be used as missile defense in the same way people make them pop balloons at home. They just point it at the tip of a missile and make it blow up.

Video games?

Name some recent ones that don't fucking suck. Not even joking, I wish there were good games still coming out.

I don't know mate, my idea in OP was vidya related, and I was hoping other people would have vidya related ones too.

lasers you say?
hahaha no
hahaha no
not even this video has what the military is cooking up they destroy missiles and boats with lasers nowadays

Curious, how much of that is similar to the book Cardinal Of The Kremlin?(Big ass plants hidden in mountains, giant mirrors with very precise specifications, etc)

It's not exactly weapon-tier. Pretty impressive for homemade though.

This video proves my point of lasers not being weapons anytime in the forseeable future. They are only useful as missile defense.

Non-lethal weapon, you stupid fuck. Permanently blinding someone instantly disables them.

There's this other amazing invention that instantly disables people. Military doesn't really need non-lethal weapons and law enforcement can't just go around permanently maiming people.

To be fair it is probably pretty easy to shoot a blind person.

Its a shitty gun made form scavenged. How does it prove your point? That's like saying ballistic weapons aren't coming anytime soon because your gun can't hit people for shit.

Not really. Improving accuracy is doable if you have something that is actually effective at killing whatever the fuck it does manage to hit. You can literally make a very effective shotgun with a pipe because it's an actually viable method, unlike lasers as offensive weapons.

The energy requirements are a bit ridiculous. You'd also need welding masks for everyone you don't want to blind instantly, especially if it's mounted on a vehicle or a building.

I give you the energy requirements bit, but i figure at the point where laser weaponry for foot soldiers becomes a viable thing everyone on the field will be equipped with helmets that have glare protection built in them. Hell, dont they already have it?

No.

No.

Do you even think about practicality? Soldiers hate even wearing hearing protection because it gets in the way and you think they're going to walk around half blind with tinted-as-fuck goggles on and a hot ass, face-covering helmet 24/7? Yeah no. Projectile weapons aren't going anywhere. Portable rail guns and gauss cannons are more realistic than lasers. They're probably the next step, actually.

>Siri glued to a roomba that can sync to your pre-existing smart house technology if the toaster is running the right version

As you surely can tell i know jack shit about actual military stuff so I just made some assumptions because I remember seeing Soldiers that had Helmets with visors and figured they might be sun glare protection or something.

To be honest. That sounds a million times more rad than lasers.

YOU'RE LIVING IN A WORLD OF TECHNOLOGY BUT YOU ARE TOO BLIND TO SEE IT YOU STUPID FUCK

Military lasers are generally used to missile/aircraft defense (shooting them down, I mean), and are powered by naval reactors on cruisers (usually in the hundred megawatt range, unsure about the power output of the laser itself though).

But can you fuck it? Because I've wanted to fuck Rosie since forever.

I have seen these videos. They are incredible.

I love the fact that its so fucking powerful and accelerates so fast, it seems to explode but theres no gunpowder involved. Its just the fucking friction causing the air to catch fire. Also i dont know if you can see it in the video you linked but in another one you can actually see the air behind the projectile shimmering like on a hot road. Its fantastic.

I have around a terabyte of music, and there's nothing around near that price that'd be able to hold a fraction of it.

video games.

Then go make a thread about video games, faggot.

user, this is the video game board, this thread doesnt belong here.

Exactly. Why are you posting here instead of somewhere else talking about video games? Nobody's keeping you here or stopping you from making a new thread.

Video games suck anyway.

Because I want to remind you faggots to stop making shit off-topic threads. Sticking my head in the sand doesn't solve an issue, dumb cunt. Did I really need to spell it out for you?

I actually kind of agree but its virtually impossible to enforce "vidya only" on this board without pissing off a good chunk of the userbase. If there was more traffic i wouldnt care if the rules were enforced but theres only a handful of boards on this website that are actually active. So when people wanna talk about some topic other than vidya theres not many places to go to get a good number of answers without waiting 5 years. Just making a new board for those topics wouldnt help either because it would take time for some people to trickle in and actually start using the board. Pure vidya Holla Forums will never be a thing.

Somebody get me this webm of a guy with a fully functioning tattoo machine for an arm

Meta is also against the rules. And OP was about real life versions of vidya things, if you took a second to read it. Now go either talk about vidya or finish your homework.

It takes much less time to overwrite all the music on the 20$ music player than it takes to listen to everything you have on it.
External 1TB drive is what, 50$? And if, for some reason, you don't have a device to connect the two with, a Raspberry Pi based machine will cost you another 50 bucks at most.

Doesn't fucking matter. I'm fine with the topics being loosely related to video games, but at the end of the day if it's not fucking video games, it needs to go. This is simple shit that even cuckchan and reddit can follow. The only reason people would STOP coming to this board is because faggots let it go because there is simply no standard for threads. Go to Holla Forums or Holla Forums with this dumb shit. If you're upset with the smaller userbase, then you need to have a talk with yourself on whether you should take the thread to cuckchan or reddit or whatever forum has a bigger userbase to discuss this shit. I'm not big on rulefagging, but if boards are merely a SUGGESTION on what you should post, then the concept of boards should be done away with entirely, since it would only be there to separate autists shitting all over each other. May as well name the boards based on how much autism it generates rather than the topics at hand.

Got it, so telling people that this thread has nothing to do with vidya is against the rules? /meta/ is for discussing how to run the board, it has nothing to do with telling OP he's a retarded cancer who forgot what board he's in.
Yeah, quote exactly where that is in the OP. Now tell me where all the relevant vidya posts are in this thread.

Award for the least thought-out post of all time goes to..

Tactic 1:
Step 1: report the thread if you don't like it
Step 2: Fuck off

Tactic 2:
Step 1: Read op and see that it was supposed to be about video games
Step 2: Try to re-rail the thread back to being about video games.

>ITT: We come up with such shit
>Like
>Real Gravity Gun
>An extending grabby arm in a bulky box

Because OP set an example of the real-life version being incredibly shittly.

Yeah but I was trying to keep it in the same example. A better one would be

i am the only one who is pissed by the fact that caseless amunition and non-newtonian fluid armours are not used on videogames?

Kill yourself nigger.

How about:
Oh wait we got those already

You'll throw out your back moving that goalpost, user.

Thanks for coming out here today, user. We're glad to have you here.

Let me go to every thread that merely mentions video games in OP, but does not explicitly say "let this thread be a video game discussion".
Oh wait, that's every thread on the board, because we are not fucking autistic, and can interpret clues given.

If you're going to argue with the OP at least stop bumping.

Honestly you should stop replying all together because even if you don't bump you know he's going to reply and bump it up.

Say some one liner about how he's a faggot, close the tab, and be done.

I better leave before anyone notices.

You said to post examples and find the quote in the OP, so I did. Just because the example was from a popular IP doesn't change the fact that OP literally started off with a vidya-related example. It's hot his fault that you came home from school and decided to shit up a thread.

You know, the good thing about launching explosives is that you don't have to be in a straight line, ner even see the enemy at all. You can fire it the moment you learn he exists nearby.

Alright, I'm gonna go make a post about sex fetishes but then say "I personally like video game cosplay." Because that makes the entire thread about video games at that point. I love you lad.

Right, and that's how there's a ton of posts replying to OP related to vidya. That's why OP just posted one image about an item from a movie series, and another image about some generic heli drone. Love all the cideo games here today.

They're arguing about a particular example, yes, but it's all still mostly relevant to the OP.

If the enemy isn't in your direct line of sight, the laser will just tell them where you're pointing. If they are, it would be much more effective to just shoot at them.

Why would the enemy fire bullets if he can blow me up?

Yes, relevant to the OP that generates almost no discussion about video games because it was so poorly worded and implied even with images that it wants nothing to do with video games.

A pencil.

we really have regressed to 4chan levels of shitposting and constant faggotry

where have you been since late 2015

Ah, yes, the fabled homing laser.

Okay yeah more like a couple inches. But the point stands. And the military lasers use tons of energy and require fuck huge specialized batteries and it still needs to concentrate on the missiles and boats for a second to work.

I think if the laser is high powered enough just looking at the impact point could be enough to blind you

Come on user I was trying to make it obvious that I was being retarded since 2 posts beforehand.
reread

Shit, I only read your response to me and didn't see that. You get to keep your dubs.

I did see that but that's memeing, not pretending to be retarded.

I've seen the pitch the guy is making for them. It'd be a neat idea if it were feasible, but it's not.

Basically he envisions them as totally autopiloted taxicabs. You get in, tell it where you want to go, and it takes you there automatically and supposedly super fast.
Sounds like a death trap to me.

It is, actually.
If you permanently blind most of an enemy nation's soldiers and citizens, they just acquired a massive burden to care for, as well as a massive morale loss.
It's much easier on a nation when their people are simply killed.

Ah, 5.45x39mm, the poison bullet. Almost makes you wish you were shot with a 7.62 round instead.

good point.

It's like a nuclear bomb except there is no damage to the physical structures, so once you conquer the place and kick out the populace, you have a pristine city to move into.