These games any good?

These games any good?

If you like jRPGs and have copious amounts of time, yes.

i hope you like to read, a lot.
If you want something better, play The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel.

It is still best to play them in order so you don't lose gameplay elements going back.

Pretty shit tbh, don't bother.

The combat is awful. I haven't seen a worse, slower combat in any JRPG I've yet touched. Story is so slow that I've played 10 hours and nothing happened. Literally nothing. No atmosphere to compensate, neither, and the characters aren't interesting at all. Maybe later on it becomes better, but why would I force myself through it when I've heard from anons that it only picks up the pace after 30 (!!!!!!) hours when I'm not interested in anything relating to this game at that point?

Maybe I'd need more time to like it, but there's no way in hell I'm playing this over any other jRPG I own.

I recommend Grandia II (if on PC) instead. The combat is similar in some aspects, but it's actually done well and fun. The story is engaging from the very start, the characters are fun, the plot twist is amazing. Just great. One of the best jRPGs of all time. The port has issues though, but there's mods to fix them on Steam.

On 3ds, Bravely series is great but censored a bit (I dunno why they changed an Indian into a cowboy in second lol).

well, it depends of what OP wants, if he has a lot of time, then trails in the sky is a good start, but if he is looking for good gameplay, cold steel is where the good shit is.

It's not on PC, though.

Cancer.

In terms of gameplay maybe, but the story is forgettable, the characters are okay, I can't understand how people compare the Bravely games to Final Fantasy V-VI.

Nigga Grandia II is cookie-cutter for plot. There's not a single twist element that isn't predictable by anyone who has even remote experience w/JPRGs. You see it all coming from miles away.

The only saving grace in regard of plot/characters is Cam Clarke haming the fuck out of Ryuudo. They shouldn't have done a dark story for the sequel. You can tell the writer wanted to stick to genuine fantasy whimsy instead of that shit.

I love it, but as always it's up to taste.

The combat is pretty good, it's not autistically overcomplicated but the limits of character positioning and orbment placement (Google it it's like FFVII materia but 10x better) held my attention all the way through. Soundtrack is sex through earwaves that a listen at this shit. Story is… interesting. The First game is 40 hours of unrelated adventures through the adventure filled Kingdom of Liberl as my favorite female character Estelle Bright and her adopted half brother Joshua Bright try to get recommendations to officially join the Bracer Guild which is sort of like an organization of people that solves problems for cash. The prot kicks in at the very last moment.

Second game is 60 to 70 hours of actual plot, but you traverse the exact same kingdom again only this time with different dungeons. The real fun part of the plot though is in talking with everyone you see every second. Every little thing you do, side quest you complete or major event that happens is reflected in NPC dialog and the newspaper, which creates a crazy detailed world with fuckload of unique and interesting dialog and minor NPC that would otherwise just be "Random Townfolk A" having their own personal lives that happens offscreen. It's pretty great.

no, after falling for the hype in some Holla Forums threads and playing both, this is a very mediocre series with some very interesting background story that serves only as a tease. Annoying and boring character, tedious combat, rehashed environments, hit and miss OST and a story that hype itself pretty high and fails massively to deliver. i had to force myself to finish SC and i will never again listen to those FALCOM fanboy threads. play only if you have nothing better than a mediocre jRPG on your backlog.

Whether or not you will like it depends on what your taste is, but if you want a PSX-era type jRPG with a decent turn-based battle system, a really nice soundtrack, and some insane world-building I'd definitely recommend it. It was tied for my GOTY in 2014 with Soul Sacrifice Delta, and SC was my GOTY in 2015 along with Trails of Cold Steel.

Trails in the Sky FC and SC are pretty good.

Trails of Cold Steel is a fucking atrocity. The already dumb gameplay got dumbed down further and the entire plot is inane. The whole nobles vs commoners shit doesn't even seem to exist outside of people shouting about it randomly. If you like shitty anime, you'll like CS.

Fuck Cold Steel.

Fighting system is cool, the graphics are gorgeous (for 3ds) thanks to the heavy stylisation, the characters might not be the best in all gaming but they're better than what I saw in the 10 hours of Trails, which was a quiet, obviously in love guy and a stupid oblivious bimbo. Nothing spectacular. With the guy being found during a war, I just bet he's related to some higher ups in whatever some other country is called.

After chapter 5 the Default does shit its bed though, but even if you only do chapters 1-5 it's still pretty lengthy.

I disagree, while Pope being evil was pretty obvious, God being literally dead, wasn't.

The characters and their interactions were top notch, I don't see what you find bad. Name one jRPG with much better ones.

It was cool to see them talk in the taverns. Mareg was awesome, just like Ryudo. Elena was pretty retarded though, when she just went to the Pope when it was obvious he ordered to kill everyone in the not-Vatican it was hard not to wish her to just off herself.

Also why would you use Americano voices on PC version when there's Japanese ones? The only good voices in English version are Ryudo, Melfice and Zera (especially Zera, his voice is AWESOME), the rest range from bad to terrible.

While I agree that the differences in the orbment system were hit or miss, to argue that the entire combat system in Cold Steel is dumbed down is just stupid. Not when you've got the whole Link system, weapon types, a larger variety of spells, and more.

Also the whole commoners vs. nobles thing is supposed to be hidden until the end, since the nobles don't want the reformists to know what they're planning.

What? Did we play the same game?

And I distinctly remember everything about the mechanics being dumber in almost every sense. It's been a while since I finished it but the link shit was completely pointless. Most of the spells come complete in a single crystal thingy instead of having to add up the elements and trade off like in TITS.

Oh well. It's not like it matters, the amount of praise I've seen the game get on here just tells me that I'm wasting my time. Too many people are suckers for the animu

For what it's worth, I absolutely loved TITS, but had to push myself to finish Cold Steel because of the stupid "Military High School" setting bullshit and the "episodic" way in which the chapters were structured. And they were highly structured, following roughly the same sequence of school life, town exploration, followed by dungeon section and boss fight.

TITS is the better game.

Links are very important for the higher difficulty fights in the game, and the variety of spells IS higher, even if the orbment system was different. I agree with you about the old system being better, but that's neither here nor there.

God being dead was insanely obvious once you start counting bodies—an active God would balance shit out but Valmar's effect went unchecked/unchallenged.

The characters had their charm, though not in comparison to the first Grandia. Game was still a fuckton of fun on the gameplay alone, and the story wasn't a complete snore, just that I'd seen it done better (Breath of Fire 2, Final Fantasy Tactics). Just that I don't consider many of the plot elements difficult to predict. The maker is famed for timeless level stories and Grandia 2 is one of those, even if it doesn't shine as nicely as Grandia

Played it on Dreamcast, m8. A long time ago.

post more brown sugar, lewd if you have any

I want to go drinking then get whipped by Schera

I liked it quite a bit. The story is really well done(though it is more focused on character development than it is on plot), and the gameplay is a pretty good mixture of SRPG and typical JRPG elements. Imagine Growlanser IV, but turn-based and with battles taking place on separate, grid-based, map.

Grandia 1 is better in every way.
No, the Bravely games are just watered-down versions of Final Fantasy V. You have shit taste.

Actually Granas is said to be just asleep many times, so I just thought Valmar woke up earlier and that Elena's "purity" was the Granas' dormant effect.
I mean, it's not like anyone is particularly evil except for a select few, in fact most people are relatively nice or at least neutral. That I also thought was an effect of dormant, sleeping Granas.

Another cool touch was the Moon being an actual LIVING VALMAR FACTORY

Trails in the Sky is one of my favorite games, but almost no friend I recommend it to likes it. You either love it or hate it.

If you want to play something similar yet more approachable, I'd recommend Star Ocean 1 &2. The combat is better and the story is much shorter, but the attention to detail is very comparable. The job and item system are also extremely fun.

Hopefully that changes soon.

yeah mane

I'll never trust falcom again.

Bravely Default would have been completely fine if it didn't do the fucking loops and just added two or three more dungeons before the endgame.

TOP KEK

Can't you even read user? I just said that the game might be good gameplay wise (and is a "might" because the game is easily exploitable with some job abilities) but fails on other aspects I didn't even compare it with the TloH games.