Is this the worst controller ever?

Is this the worst controller ever?

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-ScpToolkit-XInput-Wrapper-aka-ScpServer-Reloaded
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no, the nes one is

How many times have we had this exact thread?

no, but it is incredibly overrated with a shitty controller.

they'll keep coming because sony fuckbois will always be sour for eternity

it doesn't help that there has never ever been a good sonic game

There's worse.

Here you go my fellow redditor. Have an upvote, keep being awesome (:

Are you discriminating against people with three hands? I sure hope not user.

It's bad, but there are worse.

Fuck you, OP, N64 is comfy as fuck.

Most of these are from 3rd gen or below. They were still experimenting a bunch with controllers at that point, so I think they should get a little bit of a break. Jaguar has no excuse, though.

Depends on the game. When replaying throught gamecube controllers the same games I played in the N64 (the two N64 Zeldas) I missed some stuff, despite liking the GC controller (Metroid Prime is the first thing that comes to mind).

Jaguar's control doesn't look good although I never tried.
Can say the same about the original Xbox controller.

Fuckijg why

I did and it's shit.

Dualshock is the worst of the modern controllers.

It's literally a 1994 design with two sticks glued on.

On the bright side, it was so shit that between people complaining and whatever retard(s) designed it being slapped around/fired, its successor ended up being fucking amazing.

Also forgot to mention since the face buttons are all shapes, nobody ever agreed on what means what, so some games are triangle for cancel and X for confirm, or X for cancel and O for confirm, etc.

Oooh look at this bait. Let's see how close I can get without getting hooked.

The standard N64 controller has one of the worst grip designs I have ever seen. Even the NES is more comfortable.

That controller makes me want to kill myself.

64 style analog sticks are very much prone to failure, use a first party controller! Just not an n64 one.

git gud nerd

Thats shit, had to use a 3rd party ps2 lookalike for this shit.
Btw are there any good 3rd party n64 controllers?

see

Nah, the NES, while uncomfortable for people who need to squeeze the dang thing, works for all intents and purposes, and is very long lasting. Have you ever used an N64 controller that was more than two years old?

There were a ton.

I'm going to regret telling you this, but yes.
The Hori mini, even though it's already expensive and rising

D'aw! Look at how cute it is!

I regret selling my N64 and Megadrive 2 stuff when I see threads like this. Hell, any mention of the 64.

I'm quickly finding more and more than emulation is not an acceptable solution for my desires. I've already bought a Saturn, a Sony BVM, and have been having a blast, and the games never looked better. Plus it's never been more fun mocking PC gamers who insists accuracy doesn't matter.

you just killed your own argument.

The n64 controller had the most accurate and precise analog stick of all time. Fuck anyone who says anything against it.

No it didn't. It was just taller than typical analog sticks became, but even then they make long capped analog sticks today.

Bullshit. The dead zone on a 360 controller is like the pacific ocean compared to the n64. Same with the playstation controllers. Haven't tried any other nintendo controllers since I didn't own them.

that's nice

Despite what anyone says about it, it is still my favourite controller of all time. The analog stick given centre attention along with the comfy centre grip really nailed it and nothing from other major consoles has come close since. Now if you want a worst controller, try the Wii and WiiU. Fuck that shit.

Here's a relevant question. What's the BEST controller?

its two posts above yours

kys tbh

the scale triggers with a second switch inside was a good idea, but the controller needed a lot of improvements. I think the face button set up was done just to appear different however, focusing on simplicity by encouraging devs to focus on some buttons more than others to be less alienating to new players.

tbh DS3 is pretty much the best controller and the only thing anybody needs. DS4 for babbies who cry about their hands being too big for DS3.

Its face button design is actually great design because your thumb has less travel time between the central A button and the other 3 buttons, and the asymmetrical design allows your brain to remember the shape of the buttons easier rather than looking down every 5 minutes because it's another controller that uses the diamond formation from the early 90's.

Sorry but you all lose.

The deadzones on 360 controllers are actually a software features. Only Logitech was dumb enough to implement a huge hardware deadzone on their shitty Xinput controller for PC.

I mostly play systems with 6 button controllers, but even then it's really not a problem? I can see picking up a game on a system for the first time but I've played with so many controllers I don't really have any difficult adjusting.

triggers are god awful on the DS3. The controller itself is a hacked together piece of garbage.

used it before, it's not particularly good.

Kill yourself, casual.

The huge xbox deadzone is probably due to the low quality of the stick. When I use one on a emulator it keeps sending signals at a centered position.

xinput/dinput is also horrendous.

That looks amazing. Why the hell did Nintendo release that trident abomination instead of this?

looks better than the Atari 5200.

Oh yes the dpad is so shit I can barely map it in pcsx2.

use a wii u pro pad if you really must settle for emulation.

Xinput is just a proprietary Xbox-specific controller mapping, while "DirectInput" is Microsoft's name for an USB standard HID controller.

Is there a way to convert DS2 pressure sensitive buttons properly to USB?

nigga what

I was an N64 kid and I still hated this fucking thing mostly just for the stick though

yeah, these are much worse

yes, and it's absolute garbage. Game pads on PC are incredibly worse than they ever should be.

What do you mean settle? Higher res that isn't eye rapingly bad is not settling.

The shape is comfy but the C-stick was an awful idea tbqhf.

Agreed. I kind of liked the 1950s-esque design as well.

It's too bad the build quality was so terrible, but what can you expect from a $20 controller? I remember mine beginning to fall apart not even halfway through Super Mario 64.

DS4 works reasonably well.

Nintendo is innovative in the wrong direction. They could have just made a second stick and forgone the c-stick, but they hung onto the idea of C-buttons from n64 too hard.

In a theoretical game that uses all 6 buttons equally where would you rest your thumb to reduce the lag between your thumb moving and pushing the button? Granted it's mostly relevant to fighting games, and at that point you should be using a fightstick.

inaccuracy, x/dinput, hacked together support is indeed settling. If you can, run original hardware.

Haven't tried my DS4 on my PC, but I imagine playing the same game would be worse on PC, unless there are unique drivers for the DS4.

The 64 controller feels more comfortable in my hand than a PS shaped one. The two analogue sticks being symmetrical and not placed according to usability like a 360 pad, for a start, and the bits that stick into your palms tend to be uncomfortable for me, too.

The 64 controller could certainly be improved, since I tended to destroy the analogue stick pretty quick.

rest on the most frequently used button.

PS1 controller was fucking awful.

i lyk dat shit monica tbh it was unorthodox fa sho fa sho but i ain't rly get da nyckas hatin on it tbh fam ya'll nyckas spoiled af n need to realize sumtimes nyckas b innovatin n it don't always end up perfect but ayyyy u already kno

Carmack put it well.

10/10

DS4 is just a standard USB/Bluetooth HID controller and with a driver can emulate a 360 pad.

N64 stock controller has very weird placement to some of the buttons as well as the analog stick. I mean, WHY IS IT so far from the d-pad, the analog stick?

I think the idea was that games would use either the Analog stick or the DPad, or that players would be able to use whichever one they preferred, but they would never be required at the same time for a game.

forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-ScpToolkit-XInput-Wrapper-aka-ScpServer-Reloaded

the idea was games use either the analog or the d-pad. Very few games use the d-pad. I think people who say this never actually used the controller.

>forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-ScpToolkit-XInput-Wrapper-aka-ScpServer-Reloaded
This is about using DS3 with Windows games. It's unneeded, because DS4 exists, which works out of the box.
My question aims at using DS2 with PS2 emulator. It's the natural thing to do, isn't it?
There are cheap USB HID adaptors which also work with DS2, but these are all digital only, because they are made for the original PSX Dual Analog controller, which the DS2 can emulate, too.
Until today I didn't find a way to proper emulate PS2 using the original DS2 controller. And PS2 games actually use those pressure buttons, so you're fucked without them.

the solution:
don't emulate.

For games I can't get the disc for, there is no other solution.

I don't like the way you're talking.

SCP does work with some Dualshock adapters, you just need to identify it as a DS3 when prompted. It's designed for Play.com twin adapters (pic related), but it's been reported to also work with some generic adapters.

Shit, you got me.

are we talking pre or post analogs or both in general

if you don't like it you don't like it I'm just curious

Without the analogs. Just feels awful

It was the first dual stick controller in a way.

The main thing that was trash about it was how easily the joystick deteriorated. Play a month of mario party and your controller is fucked.

The Jaguar controller isn't that bad.

yes, I've attended smash64 tournaments with the same controller for about 10 years

No. Original Xbox was clunkier.
N64 had the neat Z trigger under it.

Woosh

Also playing Goldeneye on a N64 is pretty much impossible. And fucking Nintendo and Activision killed the 360 enhanced port of that game so we are forever stuck with a terrible version of a great game.

On the topic of controllers, what's the best classic controller to use on the Wii, since my old one is starting to fuck up (not Wii U, I'm not giving kiketendo anymore of my shekels).

yeah without the analogs it's just a mutant SNES controller; didn't really nail it until the sticks came in

IGN get the fuck out of here.

Saying the only version that exists is terrible while at the same time saying it's a great game it's obvious you're just a hypocritical faggot faggot.

The analog stick was the most shitty part of the controller because it was so delicate, it was a miracle my second one survived all those years and "merely" became extremely sensitive to one specific angle so I always had to keep it steady at a specific point to stop myself from moving.

The only thing that sucked about the Tridildo was the analog stick breaking so easily, wearing out fast, and really hurting your thumb sometimes.

Pic related is the real deal. I lost a half-inch off the length of my left thumb after beating Sonic 2 with it.

I never had any problems with it. There are so few games where you have to use the D-Pad or the left shoulder pad

Use the pro controller

No?
The only bad thing about it was the stick using rubber bands instead of springs making it wear out before long and become really hard to use, but for its time it was like 3 controllers in one.

This on the other hand is a piece of shit.

my autism hurts

even worse, they're off-center

No, it's just the first attempt at a dual stick controller. They figured most games wouldn't use it so they made it a separate holding position. It's actually pretty brilliant. I'm sure there are plenty of other monstrosities out there that make this thing look uncomplicated, or are you just a fanboy, OP? I mean OP is usually a faggot so it wouldn't shock me.

There's only one stick though

???

Your own N64 controller + a Gamecube-style replacement stick + a replacement PCB for your replacement stick.

Go to bed, DMX. You're drunk.

Taunt cancel Captain Falcon platform movement shenanigans.

You do netplay?

Having 6 face buttons was awesome on N64, but I agree the C-stick wasn't the greatest.

Did you even look at the fucking pic of OPs post?

180 WPM is so easy now!

I don't recall, but I remember reading this was a device made for disabled people, it's not a game pad. That or its supposed to make typing with all 10 fingers something more ergonomic.

I can't remember an N64 game that required the D-pad

Reminded of that one crazy-ass marketing guy who got into a fight with the Penny Arcade guys over what was meant to be a device to help disabled people use game controllers that he tried to push as a ~pro gamer~ accessory.

Miyamoto designed both.

Sony put out a dongle for the DS4 recently for PSNow. No idea if it has drivers though, I haven't looked into it enough yet.

It's just Genesis controller with playstation style handles and numeric pad for inventory management you dipshits. Most games don't even use the numeric pad, and it's useful for games like Doom and Alien vs Predator where you have to change your guns constantly. It's not as unwieldy as N64's controller.

Any paricular reason to pick this other than for the dildo handles?

Care to elaborate?

They're Eskimo kissing. How gay.

Does any game use the D-Pad for serious use? I can't imagine it being useful in anyway.

Kirby 64

That's because a and b are transparent with the letter underneath the button. The angle makes it look that way though.

I know Pokemon Stadium used it for navigating the main menus.

I'm now considering suicide again.
Replacing a controller with a touchscreen sucks.