Why is this game so grey and dull?

I just watched Stalker kino from 1979, and I just want to compare the imagery of this film to the STALKER game.

In Stalker, the desolation and post apocalyptic feeling of the Zone is a lot different than STALKER. Sure, Stalker's Zone has a lot of building ruins, trash, and rubbles, just like STALKER, but there is something very soothing about Stalker. The Zone is full of green and lush vegetation. Walls, broken facilities, tanks, they were all covered in dew and vines, when civilization dies nature takes over. It's more of a feeling of freedom than desolation.

In STALKER, everything about the environment is grey, dull, boring. You don't find any feeling of freedom in this game. The buildings aren't even ruins, they look more like generic samey looking blyat slavshit industrial ghetto. Even though it's accurate to the real thing, it sucks. Walking from places to places becomes tedious as hell. You gotta need some kind of autism to love this kind of dull and grey environment.

Maybe it's due to the shitty grey filtering, maybe it's due to shitty textures, but I don't get it. How come does this game feel much more dull than the film?

Other urls found in this thread:

slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/roads/2014/09/the_stalkers_inside_the_youth_subculture_that_explores_chernobyl_s_dead.html
absolute.crommcruac.com/call-of-pripyat/download.php
moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/absolute-nature-for-coc
absolute.crommcruac.com/call-of-pripyat/screenshots.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

there was a film?

is it any good?

kill youself

Because they set out to achieve different outlooks on the same thing. In both the movie and the book the Zone is an alien thing, it's simply not of this world in the slightest. However the Zone of the games is to show the folly of mankind, that the only way in which humans can contribute to the world is through greed and destruction. Plus the whole Nuclear fallout thing and the way in which things grow and degrade in the Zone is very different to outside of it

tl;dr Book and movie show a Zone made by aliens, game shows a Zone made by humans

There is a film?

I've read Roadside Picnic. It was okay I guess but it didn't really satisfy me

Its really good.

Get the fuck out, get the fuck right back into Holla Forums you faggotslop.

kill yaself fool

2deep4u

Not really. It is assumed that aliens did it, but no one knew for sure. In the movie, it's even more ambiguous.

>>>Holla Forums

Are you going to offer any other possible explanation for the zones in Roadside Picnic other than aliens? If not, claiming it might not be aliens is waste of time.

The game doesn't seem to understand the film at all. There's hardly any similarities. It sucks that such a shitty game had to steal.

Yeah of course most Holla Forums kiddos haven't heard of Tarkovski, what a surprise.

Говна наверни, уебище.

Could be just a natural phenomenon.

Yeah, it's annoying how they stole the name Stalker even though it has no resemblance to the movie. If they want it to be "loosely" based on Roadside Picnic, should have been called The Zone or some shit.

Are we being raided?
There have been nothing but awful threads and posts lately.

Holy shit. How more summer can you get?

That's just par for the course with M/v/.

What the fuck you faggot? Go watch that shit IMMEDIATELLY!

Its gotten so bad lately, Jesus Christ
I come back from time to time during Summer since I usually post less as Im busy going outside, it gets worse everyday, dear God.

I dunno, man, shit's been getting horrible across the entire site lately.

I only browse Holla Forums now that /mu/ and /cyber/ are dead, so I wouldnt know.
Is it a fucking raid or is the site getting more traffic for some reason?

I dunno, man. I just don't know.

And pyramids could be a natural phenomenon. Doesn't mean that notion makes any sense.

I ma not sure you get that buddy, but the movie and the game are not connected at all. It has more in common with roadside picnic than the movie, and even that is a stretch.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. locations are 100% slavland. Go outside in a less populated slav city and that's what you will see.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl definitely could have used a lot more color and terrain variety, but that's more technical limitation than anything. I think both the movie and the game portrayed the book well, because I don't remember there being anything that pointed out the zone being lush as a whole like the movie, or barren as a whole like the game. And they both represent the things that are described, the harsh and unforgiving landscape, the brutal military checkpoint, the movie being one of those kinds of films largely failed to grab the life surrounding the zone, the bandits, the black market, the scientists working with the loners with permits, etc.

I wish STALKER was closer to the book in that there was a lot of life outside and around the zone, but you were largely on your own and walking on a tight rope once you entered it. Something like a STALKER game where instead of just being in the zone with all these warring factions, all authority existed outside of the zone, and the only time anybody ever went into the zone, was for military/scientific joint expeditions, or loners sneaking in at night to make some cash. Likewise you'd implement the grueling checkpoint crossing experience, lying down in a ditch for 5 hours waiting for the sun to go down so you can cross the embankment. You could go all the way and have it so that a bunch of the artifacts don't fuck your shit up until a few hours after you've already left the zone, effectively breaking your save.

What did he mean by this ?
I actually fucking hate what Holla Forums has become and I want to kill myself every time I see a "What did he mean" thread

What, you don't like your boards to be totally lawless and out of control?

Пиздец блять

I dont think it ever recovered from the freech raid and looking at the current state it looks like some stayed.

a STALKER where you start outside the Zone could have been done with CoP
BUT NO LETS JUST SPAWN YOU AT EDGE OF THE MAP, that beginning was so fucking shit i was like "wtf, is this some amateur mod?"

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

I don't like it. To me it's the film equivalent of a walking simulator. Boring and 2deep4u. Shot nice though. So if you like cinematography and the technical side of filmmaking, yes you should watch it.

I did like the tunnel sequence though. Forget what the proper name of it was.

Because it's not a movie tie in game. It's loosely based on Roadside Picnic, as was the film. So it takes some inspiration from both. It's not directly tied though.

That sounds good. I'd like a bit less combat and more environmental dangers and real exploration where you don't get a PDA map that shows you everything and with bigger levels and for the underground areas to be giant labyrinths you get lost in.

Only problem is I can't really think of a good way of doing environmental dangers. I always hated how sometimes you'd be walking along and then BAM massive radiation patch or the anomalies which were actually 100% invisible and would just kill you almost immediately. Can't really think of another way of doing it without it being too easy though. The change in CoP where they just had anomalous areas marked on the maps and everywhere outside those areas was safe, was really dumb.

The games are boring, the film is top tier kino

The BBC posted a story claiming Holla Forums was a home for the alt-right and Trump's 'storm troopers'. The only reason it hasn't been worse is the real Holla Forums won't show up in google.

user, neo Holla Forums has been steadily going to shit since the second exodus.

All of Holla Forums has been, you mean.

Even if they had spawned you outside it would still have been a Half Life scripted sequence or a cutscene. That being said, the game lacking such a setup really was amateur hour.

True but the last month or so has been particularly bad.

Holla Forums being the worst offender, of course.

Or they could have made another map with as much contrast from the Zone as possible, simple as that.

It would have actually liked to have a cutscene with a helicopter/truck dropping you off just outside and the first few minutes it's just you walking along a forest trail as things get progressively stranger and scarier.

Gimme some good bluegrass/folk, /mu/ Holla Forums, I need my fix.

the Holla Forums mod is more hands-off than the Holla Forums mods

The problem with that is Holla Forums need hands-on moderation at this point in time. It's been wall-to-wall forced meme threads for a good few months now.

The problem with Holla Forums is that there is fuckall to talk about beyond how much worse the Jews can get. I haven't watched a Western TV show in close to five years, barely bother pirating movies even, it's all poisoned by leftism.

those id digits are kino

What the fuck is up with this "lol randum ID xD" ?
I swear there is always at least one guy like that in every thread.

because you reply every time

Stupidity.

I never did like the colors used in the STALKER games, especially CoP. SoC was decently green, but CoP went full-on brown. But not even like an autumn sorta look with reds and oranges in there, that'd be cool, but more like all the grass and shrubbery died or is near dead. Which realistically makes no sense, the actual Zone is very, very green. But I guess we can't have that, because serious games can only have brown and grey, right? Yep, all that green I see outside my own house right now for that matter must not actually exist.

Stalker is a term for people who scavenge the Zone from Roadside Picnic iirc.

The film and game are connected only in source material.

It's a whole lot of stuff to implement for such a brief part of the game, and they're not exactly known for being fast workers at GSC. I'd love the next one to have a fully fleshed out perimeter and cordon though. Hopefully if Ray of Hope catches on like DayZ they can do some fast dealings with the devs and start making bank again.

As the poster who saw the Ray of Hope gameplay leak from closed alpha launch I can tell you you are going to be incredibly happy.

That´s actually a cultural thing. America and Japan tend to like very bright and vibrant colours, while in Europe everything is in grey and brown and outwashed colours. There was even a european rpg game a few years ago, which included an option in the settings menu to make make the colours more vibrant. This was specifically implemented to pander to the non existant american market. The devs of Stalker are in eastern europe, so there´s that.

What did he mean by this?

Stalker is the term for actual people who trespass into the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

Anyone who wants to see some cool chernobyl shit should look up The Babushkas of Chernobyl though since it's a document it's nigh impossible to find on the internet.

This rings true with me. Europe is generally quite a wet, cold and dark place and we mostly build things out of red brick and concrete. Brutalist architecture was as popular here in the UK as it was in the Soviet Union, and we have a common love of dark humour and cynicism, unlike America and Japan which seems to put out an absurd amount of upbeat, optimistic material. The Ukraine is neatly perched a stones throw away from north and east Europe and Russia, so it makes sense that it is like this.

Not sure if you're having a meme, but the stalkers of the CNPP subculture are named after the STALKER series

Stalker in russia is usually used to describe people who go into dangerous abandoned areas in hopes of finding something to sell. Some go to old subway stations, some find abandoned buildings and cellars, and some actually do go to Pripyat.

Stalkers were always there, and I'd say it's the other way around. Hell, the game came out in 2007 and stalkers are mentioned in the Metro 2033 book that came out in 2005, in case you need proof.

Good point, but wasn't the 2033 series based off the premise of the STALKER series, just STALKER got delayed for around 7 years?

I didn't think they were called stalkers until more recently. Are you from the former USSR?

Nevertheless, Kino/КИНО is fantastic and absolutely belongs in a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. thread.

RIP

moar КИНО

Only half-right. They took the name in reference to the book Roadside Picnic.

They're meant to be separate. Both are loose derivatives of Roadside Picnic. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is actually even closer to the book, since the movie doesn't have artifacts.

The term was coined by the book, ripped for the movie, used by the Chernobyl liquidators, and then turned into an acronym for the games.

Check the IDs my man, I was the first guy pointing out stalker is a Roadside Picnic name, I was just questioning what each instance was deriving from. I thought the recent CNPP urbex culture was STALKER derivative, but the name itself is derivative of the book. I know it's nitpicking but we're on a Mongolian Autism Support Forum.

Gruppa Krovi is fantastic as well. I learned about Kino because it used to be the menu music in the original Stalker Online.

Ever listen to Nautilus Pompilius/Наутилус Помпилиус? They've got some great stuff.

Whoops, sorry mate.

CNPP urbex is probably largely inspired by the games, driven by urbex itself becoming more popular over the past decade. I'm not familiar with it becoming an actual subculture though, got any articles?

The name has kinda transcended the franchise, book, and movie. It might as well be considered a mini-genre of its own.

I also can't overstate just how hugely popular and influential S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was in slavland. It captured the desolation of the Zone (the devs traveled there, a lot of textures are from photos and some buildings were modeled directly), was related to an incredibly drastic historical event, was made by slavs, was good, ran on shit computers, and appealed to slavic fatalism.

Also, Nautilus Pompilius scored a fucking excellent Russian crime drama named Brat. There's a high-quality copy on the pirate bay, and the full movie is on youtube with iffy subtitles. Not really related to S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but it's fairly /k/, and I highly recommend it. It's a great look into post-USSR Russia, soundtrack is amazing, and the story is quite solid.

At least it's good it's such a shame Biting Elbows sing in english. Я бы не отказался от альбома на русском от них.

This is where I heard about it, (sorry for Slate, run it through archive if you care enough): slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/roads/2014/09/the_stalkers_inside_the_youth_subculture_that_explores_chernobyl_s_dead.html
I found it looking up the effects of radiation on trees aha

I think what's most fucked about CNPP disaster is that it was basically one arrogant fucko in a control room ignoring all advice and feedback pushing through to get some backslaps from the administration in a retarded experiment that was called out as bullshit from the start and killed a shitload of plant staff, engineers, conscripts and even citizens and lead to the USSR suffering an economic collapse and leading the world into the paranoid clusterfuck that it is today. He denies that it was him that caused it all and claims to be stitched up by the KGB, but I haven't found any evidence supporting him. I guess I'd try and shift the blame if I led to the collapse of a superpower that toppled communism and made other superpowers so inward looking they starting framing the average person for non-issues. What an arrogant cunt.

Forgot to add I've seen BRAT, have you seen (I think it's called) Game of Death? With the guy who has the Travis Bickle styled gunsleeves?

BRAT is good for knowing how to fuck people up when it all goes to shit. Turn 10 shotgun shells into 4, just add nailheads.

Slavqts?

stalker did nothing wrong except have a shitty dev manager

If you hate it why do you perpetuate it here? I can;t stand all these "but I'm doing it ironically" people, if you do it all the time no you're not, you're just doing it.

I think it's supposed to convey a very depressing slav feel in a realistic way.
Realistically, you're not supposed to feel freedom in a terrible place.

STALKER is a fine videogame conversion. There's no trancedent zone, this zone is out to kill you, and there's mercs and artifacts every way, as well as all sorts of exotic mutants who buttfuck scores of stalkers all the time.

Plus the factions, the economy, the idea that the zone is either a quiet wilderness that can all of a sudden try to kill you, or an active hotzone of military activity/faction battles…

A true adaptation to the movie would either be a walking simulator or a tame MYST like. I think SoC is a fine translation between mediums.

Not sure what qualifies. Have this.

Holla Forums has always been a shit board. Even le trashman said that one day

Because so is life

This thread has become gold

If you dislike the look of STALKER from first two pics, nothing stops you from changing that:
absolute.crommcruac.com/call-of-pripyat/download.php
moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/absolute-nature-for-coc
Or you can be a supreme faggot and kvetch about things you don't like even if you can make them go away.

Even when the free-roaming aspect is the best part of the game.

Have another.

Do you guys think GSC will make S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2? Cossacks 3 is supposed to come out on the 20th on linux which is a good sign

I think the solution is to have it happen to other characters. Have environmental cues instead of making them totally invisible, stuff that NPCs could walk into and not make the player think "Why did you walk into the knee deep pool of acid?" like they do with STALKER. Or something like the web at the start of roadside picnic, Red sees it clearly, but the doc doesn't.

qt slav music?

So Tarkovsky is not eastern european? Wtf is that reasoning? No, I just want to see lush colored vegetation, not vibrant colors.

Yes it was, but somehow the color is still washed out, it's not green enough. CoP is even more retarded, I give you that.

If they could pick the best locations, like what Tarkovsky did, they didn't have to make it brown and grey. Pics related. Hell, in real life some of the areas are greener.

This is the wash out that I was talking about.

You can't be so dense. Are the pics titled green not green enough for you?

More pics are here:
absolute.crommcruac.com/call-of-pripyat/screenshots.php

Play CoC instead of SoC or CoP.
There's some really vibrant green areas there, if you catch it when the weather isn't raining, storming, foggy or demonic.

In general, though, the game is gloomy and grim to reflect the dead slavic soul.

The collective's name is Flëur.

Also, the fucking translation of both song is very coarse and inaccurate.

I'm Russian and have been deeply disgusted by most Russian things for the better part of my life (in particular the Russian folk's mentality) in but Flëur use the Russian language in a way that makes it shine, musically, phonetically and lyrically.

Since we're on the topic, feel free to ask me shit about Russia, I guess.

*both songs

How salty are the russians about the jews and marxists fucking your country over still?

You're gonna have to elaborate on what you mean exactly. Considering how corrupt Russian politics are I've given up trying to keep track of them long ago.

Hey guys I'm posturing look at me I'm so cool I compared classic film to a video game.

Stalker was inspired by the film, so fuck off.

Worst thing happening in russia right now - they force orthodox faith on everyone like its some sort of brainwashing, and who doesn't like that - goes into jail for hurting feelings of orthodoxes.

This is some cuckery i only seen in medieval europe and pre-revolution russia. And jews want to take advantage of it, certainly. Every misstep Putin with his gang make to make life of commoners more harsh is on jewish hand. They brainwash internet into anti-putinist propaganda, putin bans that said internet and puts new rules on it, which makes propaganda against government even stronger.

You either owned in the ass by religious cucks and authoritarian corrupted politicians, who only care about money, or you will get owned by second october revolution made by jews once again.

I don't really believe in the "jews control everything" meme - in Russia you really don't need to. The upper class are all a big clique and perform precisely the function that the Jews would in the scenario that you're implying.

Orthodox faith is just another means of keeping the stupid faggots in line. My family in particular was never faithful and I, luckily, have only had to deal with it in school when Christfags bullied the fuck out of me for not caring about their deity.

Fags in Russia have it pretty tough. Really shouldn't be like that in a civilized country.

Stupid Revtards

Yes. Civilized countries shouldn't have fags.

Faggotry degrades masculinity and feminizes men, doesn't produce children, ruins male friendship and spreads aids. That's enough reasons to suppress that cancer.

Religion is a seductive lie - it targets the uneducated masses and uses fear to keep them in line.

Sometimes i miss the good old USSR days tbh

You just described Communism.

Fags are born fags. Suppressing faggotry is like trying to suppress lefthanded people - that is, traumatizing in practice and very ineffective.

Your understanding of social structures is very memetic and primitive, user. Try to think outside the box for once.

I just described pretty much any ideology directed at controlling the peasants.

My family had a house, food water parks etc.. and most of all hope of being the seed of the new world ;_; "before Stalin came and fucked everything up "

Holla Forums was a mistake.

You have shown your true colors, I'm not religious but you are a fucking rat that needs to be exterminated

My family was the one that made all that shit possible through inhuman fucking labor. I don't have to go into details - they were largely farmers and lived in Bashkortostan Republic.

Shit was fucked, user. Maybe you didn't get to see the parts that were fucked, but they were.

Do you ever think with your head or do you just eat whatever shit Holla Forums feeds you?

in Lenin days ? i doubt that he was a good man admit it

WE STILL HAVE THIS BTW
look at India Africa china and south east Asia

I don't care about other countries. We're talking Russia at the moment.

There will always be peasants and the rich. In the era of globalism, entire countries get to be the rich, and other countries get to be the peasants.

It's all the same, just scaled up.

Fags make the medical bill go high, spread aids, influence kids by it and other degenerate things.

Old people make medical bills go high

AIDS will spread from one fag to another - how is that a problem?

sorry I misclicked on the reply button before finishing typing it out.

gimme a minute, im doing something. I'll be back pretty soon

Anyhow, high medical bills are a very broad issue, and I can think of many social groups that cause a lot more weight on that front.

AIDS is spread by fags to fags - the effect on the straight population is miniscule. The main cause is still needle sharing.

you can't turn a kid gay. Being gay is some sort of mutation, it seems, just like being left-handed.

What an enlightened Marxist we have here.

calling me a buzzword and discarding my opinion based on that is retarded caveman behavior.

But of course, I'm a big bad boogeyman, critical thinking and logic is evil, amirite?

By the way, you can't suppress psychopathy. Psychopathy is lack of empathy. You can take away from a lack of a concept.

Absolutely human. Into the great nuclear crater of pre-ascension morality he goes.

I honestly think that the AI governing body theoretically is the only real way to ensure proper distribution of human resources and the highest level of overall global happiness.

You're still thoroughly humanized. Stop. It will just lead to further pain in The Passion. Inhumanity is the only way to progress, the enlightenment was merely the first step, but The Passionate delayed it long enough for their pointless human ideologies to spread, of empathy and sympathy, of love and compassion, utterly human, utterly abominable. Adore Non-Humanity, embrace Nothing.

defining something as "abominable" is subjective requires a metaphysical scale of reference of "bad" and "good"

need for progress is subjective

adoring is human in itself

so is "embracing" anything

What the fuck are you refererencing, anyway?

*subjective, and requires

What is bad? Humanity. What is good? Inhumanity. We must leave humanity if we are to excel beyond death and life, outside of the thin layer that day-by-day entraps the odourless stench of death. Adoration of the inhuman is itself inhuman, and adoration of the human is human. To embrace Nothing is to adore it, and absorb it into your inhuman form, becoming totally inhuman and cut away from death and life. It is the death of the Ego and the death of the Altru, the birth of the Anti-Ego and the Anti-Altru.

metaphysical schlock

whatever, user. I sensed a kindred spirit at first, but on the second glance you cling to bullshit feelies, morality and similar bullshit all the same

It is thee who clings to morality, thou who wants to continue living in thine flawed flesh. Thou do not want to grasp the cosmos and see the fiber that holds the Nothing in the Thing, thou want to live in the dirt that is humanity, breathing thy disposed air, eating thy refuse, drinking thy urine. Adore Non-Humanity, embrace Nothing. Thou are infatuated with Ego, and thine heart is corrupt with Altru.

sigh. You know that acting retarded does not equate to trolling, right?

Feel free to embrace nothingness on your own. A noose, razor, poison, or gun, it's your choice.

Both were inspired by the novel. Name one thing absent from the novel and present in the movie that made its way to the game.

You know a lot about being retarded user.

Thanks for ruining the thread you pseudo-intellectual faggots

According to many, intellectuals don't exist at all and they're all just pseudo-intellectuals. Your derision of pseudo-intellectuals is itself pseudo-intellectual, you've went with a common slogan, a catchy little idea that allows you to shove away all dissent.

you're a faggot

Fuck off coward.

Still too brown and grey. Remove the shitty dusty filter.

So is this why Serious Sam games are one of the very, very few series to have an in-game setting for how saturated the colors are? I like it being there, I always crank the color way up, but I'd long wondered why Croteam alone seemed to think that was an option worth including.

We all know there are mods to fix it, the debate here is that it should have been greener by default. If anything, making it all super dull and brown should be what requires mods. The game really tries to be realistic, and realistically the Zone is very lush and green.

I never said SoC's colors were perfect, just that they were decent. Ideally it would have been greener like your pictures, but its default color scheme wasn't hurting my enjoyment.

I could be happy with the last pics in each post, but otherwise, the grass and small shrubbery in the other pics is still too brown. I don't just want green trees, but for the small plants to be green too.

Still, they are a heck of a lot better than vanilla colors, no argument there.

Because the zone in movie and game serve very different purposes. MovieZone is almost like a russian wizard of oz, with the colour of the naturally occuring zone covered in vines over natural structures contrasting with the sepia-toned bleakness of the modern life everyone ran to the zone to escape from. In the Gamezone, the zone has a direct paralel to chernobyl that didn't exist in the films, and it's all there is, the only thing you have to contrast it with is your own, comfortable pleasant life. So the zone is far more of a lost-boys wonderland made darker, spookier, awash with bleakness and enemies your trusty gun might not be able to take down. All of them knew what they wanted to communicate from the concept of the zone, even the original novel treats the concept completely differently then either game or film, going for a fifties b-movie turned lovecraftian garden of joys and horrors. All of them use the concept of a zone to communicate different things to the viewer. Whether or not they work for you is your own opinion, you read this far into my autistic ramblings, you make up your own damn mind.

CoP also absolutely fucked the draw distance for foliage. You get absolutely awful pop-in when a barren hill suddenly sprouts full ground cover when you walk 5 feet closer to it.

It didn't help that the only way to play the game was with a sniper rifle since everything is so fucking flat that you can take out patrols from across the map.

Brat 2 is pretty damn good, although you can't find an English subtitled version on Youtube for the second movie, only the first one.

Do you know the name of the Russian documentary about shit like needles and rat hair in food?