No Man's Sky crashes and burns

Has there been any game in the past decade with a comparable marketing budget that shed players this fast? Blunderborn and Evolve are often cited as pathetic failures that were quickly abandoned and The Division has retained an even smaller portion of its initial playerbase but it only dropped by 50% in the first month since release. I don't think I've ever seen a game become a ghost town this fast.

Other urls found in this thread:

fanmail.biz/7710.html
steamspy.com/app/275850
imgur.com/gallery/RzOJf
gamescom-cologne.com/gamescom/for-exhibitors/registration/calculate-stand-costs/index.php
reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/51shmy/is_anyone_else_really_excited/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not hard with a population of one

Is the game still considered a success even after all the clear refunds?
I'm curious to see if Hello Games can actually become Goodbye Games after this travesty.

Alright let's do this.

It was kickstarter right? That money isn't refundable.

Let's not

I'm personally just waiting until it's actually the game it was marketed as before trying to get back into it.

Probably going to be awhile

Pretty sure the budget wasn't even that big, sony just decided to sink a bunch into advertising it for some reason. Could be wrong though, I never gave a shit during development.

This is because of you

Fuck off.

No

NO MAN'S REFUNDS

No I think Sony was backing it.
Considering all the blunders Sony should be bankrupt at this rate.

Sean, shitposting on Holla Forums isn't going to save your souls from the claws of Sony.

There's so much content, that everyone is overwhelmed by it all and have to give it up because they don't have the time necessary to invest in it. That's all, stop making correlations that don't exist.

So what? They've lost fewer and fewer players each day, you're trying to use percentages to skew the perception to your bias

Fuck off OP!

PROCEDURALLY GENERATED SHITTING PLANETS

Is Seanposting officially a meme now?

This is just my response to (you)

It's the new Toddposting.

Nice try, but "seanposting" will never be a thing.

Please tell me you didn't buy the game, please tell me your just baiting.
I can't fathom the stupidity of someone buying this game, and still defending it.

Post yfw you weren't retarded and cancerous enough to hope the game had multiplayer, nonetheless buy it at all.

I am so glad I waited until earlier this year to watch this movie. I don't think I would have fully appreciated it any sooner.

Le Foot Fetish Man's movie aren't all generally good, but Pulp Fiction in particular is great.

this is going to be the only thing that is true about this game

For once, a game with an accurate title.

Here your (you).

It should tell you something when there are massive amounts of people trying to refund this game on Steam and PSN. Its not just mild buyers remourse, they felt lied and cheated.

Congrats to the devs for trying to save themselves, but the damage seems to have been done. Cant imagine the hole they'll have to dig themselves out of.

Please no, I hate Microsoft but don't even wanna think of what they might try if they were only company making consoles…

He's right though. This shit has been stale since the second time, and it's almost always for dumb garbage that should be obvious to anyone who isn't retarded.

Sony thought this would be their indie darling and they sunk a lot of money into excluding the xbone from getting a release and hyping the shit out of it. No doubt it made back the development costs but I sincerely doubt they made back what was spent on marketing and I can guarantee it won't have hit its sales targets.

Hello Games didn't just fuck themselves out of a big juicy bonus by releasing a broken pile of shit with a tiny fraction of the features promised, they guaranteed no one will ever again will be willing to put up seed money for any future concepts they might come up with. Wouldn't be surprised if they shutter all operations within a year or two.

That's partly because its a single player game, though. There aren't many single player games that keep an active player base after a few weeks.

Not saying that it isn't also because the game is trash, but single player games do that.

Hey Holla Forums what did you use your refund money to get instead?

Thanks Sean for teaching me the value of money

Why did you buy it in the first place, dude?

Maybe he bought to it to just refund it.

I hope they made enough money to retire off NMS. Because they damaged their rep so much off it that not even normalplebs will buy their next game.

Like congratulation a dumbass for banging his head against a wall.

I'm not buying it.

haven't seen that face in a while

Im sure the numale thinks so too with his 2million bonus cheque

Post YFW Spore is 85% off and it still hurts

Saw that on steam, yeah, I felt it.

Jesus Christ, now I'm feeling it, and I've never cared for spore before.

i still have no clue how they moved a single unit with their horrid footage from day fucking 1

Goddamn pirates ruining perfectly good games again!

Still doing better than Battleborn

KEK

This is a pathetically low amount of players for a multiplayer singleplayer game.

What is next?

THe best part about being poor is I don't even ever experiece hype for games anymore. I just know I can't afford it.

Keunu had a hard life

most of that is true but i think the quote is a fake as is the cake story

I want to hug him

Just write him a letter.

>thinking they spend

can I actually do that?

He's right though.
(1)(1)(1)checked

You have nothing to be smug or feel even the slightest bit good about.

fanmail.biz/7710.html

yo check my (1)

It's still an incredibly stale and almost by admission of the post itself a low effort routine.

Destiny?

The casual game market has the memory of a goldfish and the emotional temperance of a kicked puppy. Taking a massive, Jewish-malpractice-scented shit and then playing mute if the normalfags actually get rightfully outraged for once is a legitimate and oft-successful tactic for Devs to get away with murder in plain sight and no repercussions to do the exact same in two years with even less probability of lasting backlash.

does Holla Forums have an archive?

I think the game industry emulates Hollywood more and more every year.

Slash & burn business practices, lie through your teeth as much as you can during the marketing phase, release your trash and get as much money as possible from the first few weeks before abandoning it as word-of-mouth catches up.

great, now how is he supposed to learn his lesson

GEE WIZ WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING OP? THIS IS REALLY HOT NEWS I MEAN DAMN WOWZERS!

15 man studio sells 750k copies at 60€ on steam alone.
They must be devastated people quit playing their singleplayer game.

Didn't a 2-man team sell over 20 million copies at $20 and then got bought out by Microsoft for 2 billion dollars.
Because it seems that atleast they built a good game.
They probably made like $45 mil net, and I bet more than 90% of that went to Sony. Sean probably got his wage of $100k for a few years, and now he's probably exponentially fucked because his reputation is destroyed. Either way even assuming Sony didn't take a large cut and they actually distributed it among the members of the team, that's only a measly 3 mil.

*100 million copies, not 20

Most of that money went to Sony though. They've been bankrolling their shitpile for years.

didnt this game make like schwarteenteen gorillion dollars?

Cuck : The Game

Did /bane/ make this game?

I have no idea how anybody could have been stupid enough to get tricked by this game.
That was the most transparent scam I've ever seen.

You fucking retard, why did you buy stalker? All that money just went to the faggot who killed the franchise

Mon visage quand.

I think like half the population of Halo 4 left once CoD:Black Ops II came out two weeks afterwards

Why do you type like such a fucking faggot, jesus christ.

So, what happened to Sean after the fiasco? Did he defend the game on social media, or he's just hiding under a rock with all the cash?

made his money back from the star citizen kickstarter shit he bought

They still made a profit.

He is apparently happy now so don't worry about him tbh.

I think he just lays low ever since. His twitter is dead at any rate

citation needed faggot

Wow, this idiot really is impressed by large numbers.
So has there been any sighting of him anywhere in the last three weeks? Has he legit fled with the money / killed himself / been killed / been locked in someone's fuckdungeon?

steamspy.com/app/275850
Note how it accounts for refunds.
750,000 x $60 = $45,000,000
And this is only for PC, so yes no man's sky was successful. Oh and get fucked faggot.

And how much did sony spend on marketing alone?

As long as the people who paid for it didnt return it (I assume a lot of people did not get a refund) the game was probably a monetary success.

Nowadays its about getting money, who cares if they stop playing tomorrow? as long as you still have their money you are golden.
Sure the company's reputation is ruined and their next game will suffer a gigantic PR backlash but they just need to shut the company down and part ways with their bags of money.

Doubt they spent much, I didn't see any advertising at all, although I have adblock, but none irl, most of the "marketing" was through interviews and gaming events.

HAHAHA OH WOW

remember pre exodus in early 2011 all the sad fucks on Holla Forums buying journals and quills with inks for "Skyrim journals, because the games got infinite randomly generated quests fellow anons!"

They are doing it again.

kek

Journals and a pen is one thing but quills and ink, come on.

(waste of dubs)

You literally don't know. you really think word of mouth carried this game as far as it did you?

So naive.

I suspect Hello games has been completely split up the middle by Sony cock and its very likely that any profit has already been swallowed up.

So no, you don't know. No one does. It is feasible this game has run at a loss but we do not know.

Too bad Sean Murray is trying to go underground, still no tweets from his twatter account.

In his grammer that is the correct spelling. There's also 18 quintillion gender pronouns.

So lazy, there are extreme strange alphabets he could have took inspiration from, like Ogham or Mongolian. But instead he made it look relatively normal.

There were people on Holla Forums pre Skyrims launch talking about "the right kind of glitter ink to match dwemer script".

Really. This happened.

The signs for 4chans downfall were there if only we looked.

This Nigga.

what the fuck how do you read that

He posted it on imgur, imgur.com/gallery/RzOJf
Good little drawings from a pure as shit game, bit of a cuck who tries to "Look at the bright side! its the journey that counts!"

Not only did I not buy this piece of shit, but I argued with two friends before release who both 'just wanted to try it out for themselves' and pre ordered, only to play for a day or two and then give up and admit it was boring and empty.

When will they learn? I don't care.

The ancient south american people had a language based on lengths of rope with knots tied in them painted different colours. They had no written pictograms nor any known form of mathematics so when the Spanish conquistadors invaded and burnt their shit down all knowledge was lost.

Human language could have gone in some very retarded directions.

Show me this supposed massive ad campaign then.
An user once said "citation needed faggot"

Star Citizen has made over 123 million with word of mouth, interviews and at gaming events. So yes it is most likely the the case they made a profit, and probably a massive profit.

top jej.

next thing youre going to tell me people who make comics and mods are responsible for 'the downfall'

When the userbase is more banned redditors and something awful rejects its not the same website anymore.

lol ok "word of mouth" it is homo :^)

Also SC hasn't made 123 million, that money is meant to go straight into development. So once again you fucking suck and guessing game profit.

It's not meant to read, I think it's just showing some basic symbols of the alphabet.
Ogham can be written in circles, but it usually isn't.
It's a really weird writing system.

You clearly missed the point, the point being.
I made it pretty clear.
Where is my citation I asked for faggot?

Last i checked only 7% of people refunded, and marketing was largely low effort shilling until the rabid fanbase did the marketing for free

Totally original alphabet doughnut steel

Some of those letters are almost straight ripped out of Japanese, holy shit.

right like you say SC raised 123mil through marketing events and PR which would would cost money

Are you seriously this slow?

Oh no citation, I'm giving this one to you, it was 100% word of mouth with No Mans Sky. Marketing budget zero, you are soo correct.

Ignoring the 250a26 dumbass, this game blew up way to big. It had to get some serious dosh behind it, I would love to see the figures on this game but I reckon this trainwreck will be buried.

I think the theory is/was that it was only used to keep track of goods, not to form coherent sentences.

haven't seen that in ages

Why did it die when it got a lot of content? How many games have so many unique planets to explore?

Idiot, they use abjads and syllabaries.

wew
still more interesting than the game.

It only costs a few thousands to be hosted at a gaming event.
gamescom-cologne.com/gamescom/for-exhibitors/registration/calculate-stand-costs/index.php
^ This is how you post a citation btw.
D'aaww can't back up his claims, what a shame.

It would never sell because casuls.

Which sucks because I want to speak ayylmao with other anons.
If Defiance didn't suck dick we could have had this.

You are clearly new, SC has spent a lot on money on marketing and merchandising. Hell they even had event where they sang happy birthday to the non existent game.

If you accept my "lack of citation" as a win you are REALLY simple.

Haha.
No they haven't.
I've already shown that shit only costs a few thousand.
The fact that you think there is a "win" condition to this argument says alot about you. Funny how I can back up my claims and you can though isn't it.

and you can't though isn't it. *

Meant for

Probably the most ancient writing system in Europe too.

Why do you open your mouth on things you clearly know jack shit about? Go and take a 10 minute look into the history of SC at least

I know about it, blah blah blah furries blah blah blah $20,000 coffee machine blah blah blah shit engine blah blah blah muh .jpg's blah blah blah derek smart blah blah blah cult blah blah blah someother shit.

Looks like the normalfags are rediscovering Spore.

We now live in a time where there's a game that makes spore look complete and fun by comparison, holy shit. Sean should be happy to know he discovered a new low for space games which is pretty much an achievement on its own.

MAYBE IF THERE WERE PEOPLE PLAYING IT YOU WOULD ENCOUNTER OTHER PLAYERS YOU FUCKING ASSHOLES

JUST PLAY THE GAME

is ark really that good? it's has like 80k players at any time.

Come on Sean, you don't think we actually bought your trash do you?

You decide.

What the actual fuck happened to the old Holla Forums? No wonder this place is dying.

Where the fuck did you roll in from? There is no 'community' for anything, just people with comparable but never identical tastes.

"community" he says. Fuck me its like gamefaqs decided to join in.

The gaming community you fucking moron. Go into whatever semantics you like, but if you don't understand what I meant you're retarded.

I don't think they ever had the intentions of surviving off continued support like those other games. NMS always seemed like a one buy-jew instead of a DLC workhorse like Evolve or Battleborn. Minecraft already stole all the Lego children monies.

Oh i understood. The concept of a "gaming community" is for children or retards that want a hugbox. People on Holla Forums like the same entertainment medium. Doesnt mean you have grand strategy lovers and shooterfags arm in arm chanting hallelujah praises the Jesus man oh lawd ah say oh lawdy lawd just because you happen to enjoy the electronic beepboop gameboxes.

If you are that desperate for a term created by someone else to apply some form of identity to yourself you are tumblr tier trash. Grow up, man up and just like what you like dumbass.

No because if you try crashing your ship it auto pilots away from the environment.

source

Well, they are the only ones left trying to defend this piece of shit, and their defense of the game before release was some of the dumbest garbage I've ever heard in my life.

It sure is.

Rich Evans summed up why numales sky is a shit minecraft to a T:

Love or hate minecraft he's right. A game needs a hook and this game doesnt have one when the galactic core is an infinite reboot back to the start.

Does he really have to tell everyone about his weird giantess fetish?

What highly hyped games keep at least 25-50% of their release base for even a few months? I'm not defending this piece of shit in any way, but I guess it's pretty clear that most of the hype machine shit is all about sell sell sell and then it doesn't matter to them.

But not everyone is here for every thread with a reaction smug chain, you know.

If you were autistic enough, you could compare filenames and filesizes to see if it's really only a few faggots doing the rounds every time.

Or fucking Steambox for that matter,

Is this bait?

>"That's 120 bucks to Sony."

THE LENGTHS PEOPLE GO TO FOR BRAND LOYALTY AND SHILLING EVERYBODY

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH HOLY FUCK

Wonderful music to my ears.

He isn't defending it. He probably isnt a fan of the mass migration from cuckchan instilling their cancer here. Yes, that means the hilarious reaction image chain.

Are you fucking serious right now?

Hold up, you're telling me those chumps censor "cockpit"?

You just had to say it

I dont get it

Is there anything this guy won't lie about? Those lies cost some retards 60 dollars.

You don't happen to have the 'no man' image, do you?

Who is this cum mum?

This?

They don't actually censor any words besides race related words like nigger anymore, that guy's just a fucking idiot. Which is readily apparent by the rest of his post.

What do you even do in this game?

That's the 18 quintillion dollar question, user.

You pick things up and put them down.

Shoot rocks so you can upgrade your equipment so you can shoot more rocks with better efficiency, while occasionally switching the map from a giant blue rock with tan dinosaurs to a giant purple rock with no dinosaurs.

ANYTHING

So basically Diablo 3 with the center of the galaxy instead of Satan.

This is why we can't have nice things.

At least in Diablo 3 you get to suffer with friends, you're by yourself to wallow in realizing you made a shit decision with this garbage.

No i'm serious.
Does it have a storyline to follow? Is the rebooting thing kinda like E.Y.E where something new always happens?
Do you have like a jungle planets covered with mist and alien flora and then you play cat and mouse with a local xenomorph predator or something?
There has to be more to simply farming shit in the game.

Well too bad, that's all there is. No story really, rebooting leads to the same shit, no jungle planets just barren rocks with the occasional sapling, no hostile ayys, fucking nothing. Just read the
reviews, they're actually right and good for once.

you see the center of the galaxy? you can go there.

thats it.

In order of questions

no, the planets are generated so technically yes but no new features or story elements, no.

There is literally nothing else.

Nope, minor amounts of 2deep4u wank but that's it really. The lore in this game is about as deep as a rain puddle in your driveway.

I don't know what approach E.Y.E takes but in NMS the rebooting is a little more literal than what you see in most games. Reaching the center of the galaxy is functionally no different from suffering a corrupted save file, you just start over on a new random planet in the same fucking galaxy as before, only the galaxy now has a new name which will be randomly generated the first 255 times you do this.

Some worlds are "lush", others are barren. Nine times out of ten the only predators you'll encounter are crabs that pinch your toes.

There isn't

SLASH
VE
SLASH

ACT7UALYL
FICKING
THOUGHT
THAT
FUCKING
NU MAN SKY
HAD CONTENT

YOU
CANNMOPT
ABOSLVE
YOURSELF
OF
THIS
SSIN
YOU
INBRED SHILLING FUCK

YOU
HAVE
ACTUALY THOUGHT THIS

YOU
WILL
BEAR
THE
WEIGHT
OF
THIS
STATEMENT

DFUCKING KILL YOURSFL

Yeah this tbh. I take no joy in this game failing. I was and actually am still looking forward to playing it, once it actually becomes something remotely close to the game we were promised.

Murray lying about it being multiplayer was super fucking retarded, though. I think that was most damning about it all. Any game, even one lacking in features, instantly becomes leagues better with multiplayer.

Guess i'll check back 3-6 months from now.

Well that cements them being ashamed of it.

Yeah, Super Mario Bros is a great game. If only it had multiplayer. And Zelda, too! That's why New Super Mario Bros and Four Swords are the best Mario and Zelda games!

Fuck you. You are the cancer that killed video games.

I just filter any poster with the bullet bill flag, it's just one guy avatarfagging at this point

To be fair, you can't really name a single open-world survivor game where multiplayer isn't just something that unquestionably works in the game's favour but also isn't a major selling point, if not the one core defining feature.

Actually, yeah. Any game becomes better playing with friends. The difference is, some games desperately need multiplayer, others are fine on their own. I've never played either of these two so I wouldn't know, but if they're bad games it's got nothing to do with multiplayer and everything to do with there already being a shit game underneath it all. Ask yourself this, do they get better or worse playing them single player as opposed to with others. Nice shit attempt at a strawman, though.

Oh no, some autist triggered by a fucking flag blocks my post. However shall I go on?

no, it's more fun. not better. those are different things.

Jesus fucking christ Holla Forums.

Pretty much, this shit was fun once or twice when it was >yfw you are not Burch but you see this shit ruin a whole thread every time now.

Why does 3DPD still manage to make me feel this way?

if No Guy Buy goes on sale for 75% off, I might buy it. I might.

Just pirate it, don't waste money on this pile of crap.

Why give even one cent to scammers? What the fuck man

I just wanted to see your salty reactions. I'm sorry.

I pirated it already, btw.

Why, though? I don't even see it being worth the bandwith and the time.

You're shit at baiting if you gotta apologize afterwards mate

It was day 1, and I wanted to see if it was as awful as I expected. I expected it to be boring and desolate, and they still somehow managed to disappoint me.

I know. I don't like confrontation.

That's strangely adorable.

What up with this guy's drawings?
They don't make a huge amount of sense.

Okay, day 1 pirate I can understand.
Also
Let me guess, playing a RTS 1v1 against a random person feels like dying.

I wouldn't say dying, but I usually expect a loss. I usually die in PvP because I just can't figure out how to kill the other player, no matter how I revise my tactics. The only exception is Overwatch and Quake 3.

None of the planets are different enough or interesting enough to bother "exploring" for any length of time, the center of the galaxy just resets the game.
But what happens if you move away from the galaxy? Can you exit the galaxy and fly into an endless void?

Nope, invisible wall.

Has there ever been a good game to come out of San Francisco?

Serious question here

Legacy of Kain, Sim City, Tekken, Pac Man, RIFT, Dead Space, Dante's Inferno, Lugaru, Overgrowth

Die

If I could care less about your opinion, I sure would.

I will wait for the humble bundle space edition sale

Hrm, I didn't even consider that.

did it really crash and burn though? i mean they have already gotten paid. and since the active players have declined, they pay less for servers

it crashed many times, the game has crashed dozens of computers. But no, it didn't crash and burn in the situation you're talking.

It's been like this all year, buddy.
ETERNAL SUMMER

I honestly thought of pirating it, but then I seen some gameplay footage, and realized it wasn't worth wasting bandwidth or HD space on it.

Wtf was this shit game about?

At least some of you guys are still OK.

You can only travel within a star system without triggering the loading screen. You cant even jump to another star system without a hyperdrive and a loading screen that takes like a minute.

back to cuckchan with you my friend!

Thank you for calling this shit out. The rest of you need to be purged.

I did buy the game and had fun with it for about 6 hours. There are worse things you can spend your money on, no regrets.

Not anymore, fam. Been "under maintenance" for almost a year.

user, p-please

XD upvoted and subscribed fellow redditor

If sadpanda failed, it's not porn.

Let it go, lad.

why's he barefoot though

because he's amazing and doesn't conform to your standards of what a 'good' developer should be!
he broke all the rules and he's a genius!

holy fuck even meinkampf divided has more active players than that

I bet you think that for every xbox 360 sold Microsoft got %100 of that as revenue. Unfortunately in the real world only a portion of the sale become profit. Let's break down the maximum amount that Hello Games could actually see as profit from NMS Steam sales. Assuming that since HG is small they needed a venture capital firm to finance development, and after delays they patterned with Sony to get the remaining finances.
Assuming that a VC firm got 49% stake (Sean Murray and Grant Duncan look like the couldn't negotiate their way out of a paper bag). After running out of money and selling at least 20% stake to Sony, Hello Games now gets 31% of revenue. Game cost $60.00 the publisher takes 40%. So $36 x 750,000 = $27 million and %31 of that is $8.37 million.
Hello Games has 16 employees (including founders), lets say 4 people are paid $15.00/hr or $31,200/yr (administration, testers, low skill jobs), 8 people are paid $50,000/yr as general associate level employees, and the 4 senior employees (Sean Murray, Grant Duncan, Ryan Doyle, and David Ream) have a $80,000/yr salary. This is the low end to show how even with these conservative numbers the company cost quite a bit to run. Just to pay employees it costs ~$844,800. No Man's Sky took around 3 years to bring to release so it cost HG at least $2.534 million in salaries alone. So $8.37 mill - $2.534 mill is $5.836 million and England has a ~%20 corporate profit tax so now HG gets only $4.6688 million from the total $45 million in sales (just ~%9.63 of the pie). Ignoring all other factors like the cost of employee benefits, software license, hardware, building lease, general business tax, ext. HG maybe made no more than $4,668,800 from No Man's Sky. That basically gives them a %84.246 return or for every $1.00 in $1.84 came out. With that money HG can pay salaries for 5.5 years.
While NMS was not a flop it was by no means a success from a financial perspective for HG. No VC will ever give them time of day again and no publisher will parter with them. They have 5.5 years to develop and release a new game while still supporting NMS.

Revenue ≠ profit

Revenue ≠ sales x retail price

This. Multiplayer doesn't fix its fundamental problems at all, I don't get why people think that'd make any difference.

just give him a pirated GoG copy.

People are so terrified of being negative or being seen as being negative they will actively avoid reasonable criticism and decry it as hatred.

Gaming journalists are a glorified marketing arm and happily acted complicit to dev/publisher lies in order to maintain their livelyhood. The best bit of NMS was watching journalists squirm around trying to call out the game for being shit but being unable to accept any responsibility for bilking idiots out of their cash. Giant Bombs Jeff Girthman had this to say: "Yeah it's a pretty good game, it's got a lot to offer. You can't really play it for more than an hour at a time and you need a phone or something so you can play another game to keep you entertained. I'll probobly never play it again."

I've seen at least 3 or 4 gaming journos lamenting that gamers are too stupid to see though such obvious and blatant bullshit as the NMS marketing hype. Yet before launch they were happily parroting that hype to anyone who would listen.

I hope everyone in this thread is looking forward for Hello Games next release, which you will all be called trolls and haters for criticising because of their past behaviour. Which will become a massive success on the backs of paid shills and ignorant people with too much money.

Just think, one day we'll be called misogynists for NOT playing video games.

This thread is an impressive avalanche of shit.

I didn't buy No Man's Sky, I pirated it, and considering I invested zero dollars, instead of being super buttfrustrated, I enjoyed the game for what it was.

No Man's Sky is an incomplete indie game that has some potential. It probably should have got another year or two of development time and cost half as much. I blame Sony for that. When you have bloodthirsty corporate vampires backing your development, of course it will fail. What game development needs is the 'when it's done' attitude that you see from people like George R.R. Martin. He won't rush his book out, half finished, just because some corporate faggots want to cash in on the pop culture wave of hype.

Sure NMS is broken, but all I had to do is download some mods and slap those on the game and made it a lot better. Every time I see some angry nerd review the game, the complaints are inevitably things that I already fixed in my copy. Are people just computer illiterate or what? It doesn't take very much effort. You go to the modding site, you spend 5 minutes downloading some files, you slap those files in the right directory and you boot that shit up and say 'hey look I made this game more fun for myself.'

For example, whiny babies cry "the flying sucks, you can't crash because the autopilot wrests controls from you and forces you to fly at safe elevations" meanwhile I can fly my ship right into a cave and bounce around until I die or fly my ship underwater.

Whiny babies cry "I can't shoot anything on a planet with my space ship" meanwhile I can harvest anything I want while flying my ship. I can sit in the air and obliterate a flock of birds with my laser or strafe the trees to harvest carbon.

Why must I be alone as the PC master race, surrounded by the unevolved chimpanzee faggots, to braindead to do the simplest modding.

great post

"6 days ago Sean posted:

""What matters now, as always, is what we do rather than what we say.""

And then HG go dark.
They have a universe that they've birthed, and probably the largest canvas ever created.
They've just earned themselves a lot of money for a fifteen person team.
They are passionate about this game, they've worked on it for years.
most of the bugs are fixed :)
They've been open that NMS is all the team will be working on for the foreseeable future.
They know what we all want.
I'm so excited to see what they do next!
Roll on two weeks time!"
- reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/51shmy/is_anyone_else_really_excited/

The aaa/mainstream market will always be shit,this is the demographic now, there will be no "crash" no recovery.

Invest in your niche indie devs,autist dwarf forts, and avdg devs,its all you have left

Going any sort of distance away from the small diorama of stationary planets + space station will make the game spazz the fuck out though. It's not like there's anything to see in "space" anyway since regardless of where you go there's only going to be an endless soup of asteroids and a couple (stationary) freighters that spawn in your proximity.

NMS will be credited with saving Elite Dangerous at least.

It is not PC master race to fix a bad game by turning it into a mediocre game and play it instead of other, much better games.

Mods should expand on good games, not patch glaring holes of omission in objective shit.

You blame sony for Hello Games signing a contract with them. Sony is not to blame here. You don't get to sign your soul to the devil and then cry foul when it gets a bit hard. Sony wasnt the one out their lying about this game, Sean Murrey was. if he had a conscience he wouldn't have squirmed his way through so many interviews as he looked visably uncomfortable lying through his teeth.

George R R Martin signed on to make a TV show with the expectation that his next book would be finished inside of like seven fucking years. It's been seven years. His book isn't finished. A "when it's done" attitude is fine, but when it is a cover for a "im just fucking around doing nothing waiting for random chance to write it for me" it's lazyness. Valve are still working on that next half life game. Do you think it will benefit from the extra years they've been waiting for it to be done? Did Duke Nukem? You call yourself PC master race but you have learned nothing from the history of pc games.