Vidya to help break skinner box addiction?

I want to get away from playing MMOs and games like them. An endless, pointless grind for marginally increasing numbers… It's worse than crack.

What are some good games to help break a skinner box addiction?

Other urls found in this thread:

progressquest.com/dl.php
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This is like telling a heroin addict the wonders of oxycontin.

Play some nes games, faggot.

Video games as a whole are a terrible idea for skinner box addiction.

If you must play video games, play something with a competitive atmosphere where you will hit a 'peak' and need to practice to overcome it.
Fighting games come to mind.
Fuck it, go on Fullderp and just play a few rounds. You need to think about every possible action you can make and none of them will actually work and you'll get yelled at for shitting the bed but it's fun.

I'd suggest picking up a different hobby. Something that requires a lot of time and dedication (which you should have plenty of if you've been playing MMOs).
Art, craftsmanship, working out…
Hell, get a job (if you don't already have one) and feed your skinner box by watching the numbers in your bank account go up.

NES games are the trick.
They're really short and generally lack skinner box elements.
I'd advice against playing RPGs, many of them have the same mechanics the games you're currently playing have.

cookie clicker

Will do.

Speedrunning. Especially in games where you can break the game or sequence break to do so. Super Metroid, Metroid Prime, Dark Souls, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time.

Autism based games like minecraft will help you replace the timesink feeling

Whenever you feel the itch to play a pointless repetitive time-sink MMO, simply "play" Progress Quest instead.

progressquest.com/dl.php

Yeah, this seems like a joke at first, but it works surprisingly well at eventually weaning oneself off the skinner box.

I was like that too, but then I embraced the grind, now I revel in it. It is the best form of electronic entertainment.
Just make sure you're playing one that is also fun on basic level and doesn't have devs/publishers that only care about your money instead of making their game better.

What do you thing score is for? You're supposed to replay the same levels in order to get higher score, as an arbitrary indicator of your skill/mastery of the game. Fundamentally it's not different from MMOs.

'the fuck is a skinner box?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning_chamber
Basically this. I remember there being a screencap some user made that explained how it applies to most multiplayer, and even single player games today, but I can't find it. Basically, it's a system that rewards the player with meaningless and small prizes in exchange for doing mundane chores with no real sense of challenge or progression.
Extra Credits also made a video on this, but he's an unbearable faggot with a voice that'll make you wanna kill yourself.

Dwarf Fortress

Once you get into the game you will physically lose the ability to enjoy MMOs or any other kind of casual games.

Don't play the games if you just do it because you feel forced to. Nobody is forcing you, you already know you never achieve anything really. Play games you are entertained by instead.

I guess somebody might tear their eyes out from the boredom and lose the ability to enjoy games, sure.

life

It is, only that you get the experience instead of your in-game character :^)

Nice thread

Along these lines, but a suggestion for a specific game would be Rocket League.

The game is really fun casually, but also has an extremely high mechanical skill cap. It also requires a basic understanding of positioning. Best played with a friend or two for sure, as you can coordinate more easily.

I don't really like cars, soccer, or games that require you to consistently perform well to get good results, but somehow this game did it for me. Since I started playing it I don't really play any other PvP games and just occasionally pirate or buy an RPG to sink 20-30 hours into.

Work on your backlog
Thats how I stopped playing shitty MMOs and flavor of the month "games"

How else can one measure his skill in a PvE game? It's either time or score. Or both.

Oh I should point out than RNG-grinding is indeed the worst and can go fuck the right off.
Future lies withing material/money grind, the way Black Desert or PSO2 does it. You're guaranteed to get your shit as long as you run relevant quests/kill relevant enemies enough times. So it becomes another form of leveling or scoring.

This faggot knows what is going on. Dusted off my psone and ps2 a few months back and decided to play vidya I never gave a chace too when I was a young'n.. No regrets. Also never played classic psone Resident evil games. First one was meh, but part 2? That right there is an excellent game.

You're a faggot, user-kun.
+18 is cancer and far from guaranteed. +20 is absurd. When +15 was the limit, you'd have an argument.

If you want to change how you behave there is no "miracle cure" or dumb way to stop doing it, you just need to summon up the willpower and stop.

Objectively the best video game ever made.

Also very good.

at last i truly see

SKinnerbox addiction has nothing to do with the games, but how you play them. Any game can be a skinnerbox game if played with the goal of increasing your stats/score. The key to breaking this is playing games for their frivolous, fun merits. You should be able to start having a great time with a game within 10 mins of starting it up. If the only way to have fun with a particular game is to invest hours and hours of your life for one moment of satisfaction at the end of what could only be described as work, then it's a bad game.