Is this the only good "art" game?

Is this the only good "art" game?

Hence the quotation marks. But what do you call those games that are more like an experience than a gameplay focused thing?

Calling Ice-Pick Lodge titles "art" games is an insult.

Unlike "art" games they try to have interesting gameplay mechanics and implement those mechanics into the narrative, essentially giving the player something to play, rather than just trying to be interactive books, movies or paintings.

They always prioritize making a game with gameplay mechanics that can be played, and then meld that into the aestetic and overall narrative intent they want to accompany it.

This is the only good art game

Shit. I call them shit games.
Not even games, but interactive fiction.

its so slow and dulling.

Colors! 3d and flipnote studio are good, though FS is dead i think.

Fuck you fuckers and your fucking 'artistic vidya' bullshit. Videogames cannot inherently be art because they are limited by hardware. Almost everything can be stripped from a game and be called art, but the gameplay itself cannot be displayed or read about. If someone can't experience a game, or they can't git gud and complete it, than they can't even experience the reason the game fucking exists.

And don't give me the whole 'emulation and digital distribution' shit. Digital distribution, in the majority of cases, has some form of DRM that would make it impossible to play if the service is dead, let alone offline. The ones without DRM tend to be old, and the ones on GOD might be good because they lasted long enough to be re-released, but how many games makes that difficult because of technical limitations in the software? Some modern games still have issues on Windows 10.

Emulation still doesn't work for all consoles either. I ain't heard a thing about XBox emulation for games like JSRF. And individual games might have issues as well.

Saying games are art means that they'll last through the ages. Same as information being vital. We have historians for a reason. We have museums for a reason. Everything about a game can be preserved except the central part of the game; the fucking gameplay.

act four never ever

That's like saying that a book can't be art because it's limited by the paper it's printed on.
Or that a painting can't be art because it's limited by the canvas it's painted onto.
That a movie can't be art because it's limited by the reel it's on.
That a sculpture can't be art because it's limited by the material it was carved from.

I don't think you thought this trough.

Play more games op.

Additionally, tons of art didn't last.
A lot of art is composed by interactive experiences, for example let's say a room with interactive lights, that broke down over the years and thus made the original experience impossible to replicate as the artists intended.
We lost countless pieces of art simply because of time, bad maintenance, or other unexpected events that destroyed it.
Not only that, some works of art are specifically designed to only last a certain amount of time and then decay, or be dismantled.
Art isn't inherently everlasting, it's not a requirement.

You're missing the fucking point entirely you near-sighted fuckwit.

How much art has been lost? We don't know, because it wasn't preserved. The art we have is what was deemed important enough to preserve and display.

You can preserve a games art, models, music, sound effects, voice acting, cutscenes, rip them out, put them in an artbook or a soundtrack, and put it on display.

Try displaying the fucking gameplay and letting it prove its own significance. Even that art exhibit a few years ago in with a bunch of artsy game bullshit displayed games that looked nice. No STALKER, no katamari, not even Pathologic. Know why? It's impossible to explain the appeal of the game and have it make sense to the average mouth breather.

Games are almost an except because they existed in an age where digital preservation is the norm.

It's certainly one of the most pretentious "art" games.

Figure out what art is first then decide if games are art.
Which they're not, stop trying to justify your manchild hobby.

You have this weird idea that "art" is only something that you find in a museum.
Additionally, you seem to think that "art" is something that everyone must understand at any point in time else if it's not accessible it can't be considered art.
All the best work of art in any field is shit you have to look for, and understand, yourself.

It's no different with video games, most video games will be digitally preserved and eventually we'll have the means to replicate the way they played on their original hardware almost perfectly.
At that point it'll be up to each individual to find, understand and appreciate good games.
It's already like this, most of Holla Forums already does this with many old games before their time.

Some games won't be understood anymore by anyone, same as some pieces of art.
And some games will be lost forever, same as other art in other medium.

It's really no different in the end, you're overcomplicating the situation for no reason.

We had a "are games art thread" two days go
can we wait at least a week for a new one

No, every thread must repeat itself the moement it falls off. That's cause no one ever gets tired of them.

Sick 2 btw, check my 7

Nice try guy, but check these singles

Might have to play this just for the music.

Act 4 is out dude. Just finished it.

Also holy shit I regret the choice of the word art in the OP. Fags are getting lost in the weeds over buzzwords.

I don't really see how. It doesn't seem to be trying to convey some grand message nor does it talk down to the player.

I did not know this.
Clearly I need to check my gog account more often.
but to be fair I think it's fair to give up on an episodic game like after about two years

The music is pretty good through and through.
though if you aren't a big fan of country you might have problems

Probably yeah. What I want to know is how the hell they are still in business.

Its more Folk than Country

If you want to get really technical about the whole thing I think, if anything, it would be classed as bluegrass which is a subgenre of country.

Well they are self published which probably means they have real jobs and just working on the game in their spare time.

shit

just by listening to that music I can tell that game was made by a bunch of skinny hipsters who've never actually been to kentucky

If its Kentucky then it's got to be Bluegrass.

How is it art? It's a fucking point-and-click story game. Jesus Christ.

Go lick RPS nuts or something.