"localization"

Fireball

I mean uh

Sizz!

Is this translated by snoop dogg?

why can't they use clear and obvious spell names like Mabufu and Diarama?

Firebane?

I kind of like sizz better.

Some of these choices just are weird. Why use terms like Frizz, Frizzle, and Sizz, did those replace common spell names from the earlier DQ/DW games? Never played the series outside of the first two on GBC.

The rest I don't mind, but this just makes me wonder how the dialogue would get translated. Speaking of translations though, didn't Nintendo want SE to bring over DQ9 so badly? How was it in that game, because people seemed to love that.

>Drizzt

forwhatpurpose? The rest are even more retarded, though BlazeMore takes the cake from the old translation.

fo shizzle

What was the point in changing this?

Why not just use the Japanese names?

なんだとこれわ?
なんだ?

They wanted them all to be onomatopoeia.

Nice joke

"localizers" thinking that the game must have a "quirky" and "witty" translation because of the artstyle, atleast that's what i think as the reason

i mean romanji would work for me, it's not that odd for magic spells to have weird names.

could be worse

could have been sjw shit and memes

It's actually closer to the original this time. They also use silly phonetic plays for their spells, just look at the kana, it's all kata.
"ギラギラ" for example is a vogue term for "shining".

Shouldn't it be "Zzz.." instead, then?

frizz is pretty shit though, it isn't really close, I mean what is the spell supposed to do? Give them an afro or something? I think sizzle is not too bad though.

I long for the return of "Fire 1, Fire 2, Fire 3, Fire 4" type of spell nomenclature. This need for everything to be different and unique and original is so fucking stupid.

+1 AR
+1 weight class
Immunity against mind-altering effects
1.2 damage taken from fire-based attacks

that'd be like getting paid to translate

these guys are in the business of localizing, and therefore the name must be different. Gotta justify the absurd amount of funding somehow!

That remains to be seen

If they hit MH I'm sure they can get their hands on DQ.

I don't like it but it's not a "EVERYONE THAT BUYS THIS GAME IS A FUCKING FAGGOT REEEEEEEEEEEE" level of dislike.
It's just something that irks me but it's minor.

everytime

It's literally in the OP user.

Yes. It says in the pic what they replaced.

A reasonable response? Get out of here you dont belong

Thing is that they're so obviously proud of the translation making the game "warmer" that you know its just the tip of the iceberg.

Tried getting into DQ and the game I played had a bunch of characters written as having horrible accents. Except it's so bad that it takes me out of the game completely and kills any enjoyment of the story I could possibly have. Fuck that series.

If they want to recreate the unique terminology they should just use the original names.

Not that we're seeing that kind of response

But as per usual I'm betting this is just one of many "strange" localization choices

It does sound a bit weird but the new one is more faithful. The original words were onomatopoetic (mera might not sound like what you think fire sounds like but thats how it is in Japanese), and the original translation was not.

I know it's easy to hate on localization but make sure you ask someone who knows the original version before going on a crusade.

No. It looks more like they took one step to the right instead of going one step forward. It's different, but still is neither an accurate translation nor is it a one or two word description of it's effect.

The original translation is shit. Pretty sure all localizations of DQ have been trash, though I wouldn't call myself a big fan of the series and haven't checked it's integrity.

I hope you aren't implying this is a crusade.

Though I do expect this upcoming localization to be as trash as the old one, and maybe even more if they decide to be "hip" and "trendy" as NoA enjoys doing.

Here's an idea, how about hiring a native English speaker to translate it?

Reminder you could be learning japanese instead of suffering from localizations

This. It's easy to learn hiragana and katakana in a day. This will be the backbone for grinding grammar and vocab.

And guess what, you can play the early DQ games with only hiragana and katakana. Excellent for training.

I could understand this if it were an NES game with character limits and they just grandfathered it in, but this shit started with a fucking PS2 game.

Japanese is a shit language. Don't listen to these idiots.

But why?

Why not?

Don't forget that the kanji are really hard for Japanese kids to learn too, so any game that is intended for children will mostly exclude any Kanji. Also, older Japanese games with lots of text weren't able to have a ton of characters because of memory so I'd imagine many of them will exclude kanji outside of hud elements or the title.

Then what is a good language?

Nipland is a pretty nice place to live, though it's a bit expensive.

Kanji are only hard for japanese kids because their learning system is fucking retarded. It's easy, just takes time.

I didn't know this was a Magic School Bus game.

Getting the chance to live there without some sort of related degree is pretty much impossible though.
Their infrastructure is phenomenal and makes everywhere else look like savage muslim-tier countries.

SMT have the best JRPG spell names
Ma- All enemies
Me- All allies
-ra Mid heal
-rama High heal
-la Mid damage
-dyne High damage
-i cure X status

For the elemental spells, I think that it was trying to pull a fire, fira, firaga, firaja like in Final Fantasy.

They're going to fuck up VII by spelling accents just like the DS Dragon Quests.

'Ello der yungda weee werrier! or some shit.

This kind of horrible translation is one of the main reasons I could never get into the DQ series.

Who even fucking asked for this?

There's another DQ localization thread still up, go look at it IF YOU DARE!.

Doesn't that happen every time someone gets hit by fire in a not serious anime?

It's far worse than what was originally expected to be just overblown text accents.

I kind of expected "Snooze" to be "Snoozle"

Kanji was a mistake.

This isn't even close to being the worst thing about Dragon Quest localizations, OP. Call me when they do pic related.
There's probably been a thread about it being in the game already and I missed it

My immense autism must step in and correct that rama is the mid heal and rahan is the full heal.

A common opinion of someone who has no idea what they are talking about. The language would be much harder without kanji.

Yes, because learning up to 85,000 different characters is so easy.
I know, I know. Only around ~2,100 of those are actually used, but that's still over 2,000 symbols you have to learn.

that some doctor Seuss shit here

Easier than reading a string of just hiragana, yes. And much more space efficient.

aaactually, mid level damage has a few various suffixes, only a couple end with 'la', Freila, Megidola, Garula and Bufula while Agion, Aques, Zionga, Zanma and Gryva obviously do not in 'la.'

Tentarafoo best spell name though. It can stun any fucking enemy in P:Q. Every. Enemy.

But you're reading strings of just Latin characters.

Holy fucking shit do I hate these motherfuckers with every fiber of my being.

Fuck leftists.

yeahbutlatincharactershavecapitallettersspacesandpunctuationtomakethemeasiertoread

FireBane

FUCK OFF NIP, YOU LITERALLY STOLE THE FUCKING CHINESE PAINTINGS AND SAID "IM GOING STO STEAL BECAUSE IM A FUCKING NIP" along with our religion because you're fucking retarded to MAKE YOUR OWN
EVEN THEN ALL OF THE KANJIS ARE LEARNT BUT NEVER USED, YOUR SHIT LANG UAGE IS SO BLOATED THAT YOU AHVE TO REPLACE IT WITH OUR LANGUAGE, FUCK OFF

how tall are you again?

The Hero Yoshihiko taught me that stuff like sizzle is correct and the old translation is the one that stunk.

ayy

Holy shit, they're not even trying to be subtle anymore. I feel bad for DQ fans, this is impressively awful.

I feel bad for vidya in general. They've been smearing their shit stained fingers over game translations for years now, and still these mental cripples aren't tired of their infantile humor.

And it's likely not even the translators if the translation on the Japanese cartridge of DQIV is to believed, but talentless "editors" doing it because leftists are soulless abominations that deserve the gas chamber.

I blame normalfags with no standards, honestly. They've done more damage just in the fact that they've been accepting of these terrible practices for a while now and even defend it with non-arguments over and over until the end of time. If there were actually any sort of standards by the general purchasing population it wouldn't have gotten this bad. Probably.

Sure didn't stop them when comics started selling like shit.

Just think about it, leftists actually managed to obliterate a whole artistic medium in under 20 years. They are cancer given human shape. Zyklon B is merely chemo.

The religions various waves of white people gave you?

It's like everything they touch turns to shit. Like Midas, but for feces, and they actually enjoy the experience.

Zyklon B is a pesticide.
No really, I hate sounding full-Holla Forums, but ZB was used to treat typhus. The idea of killing somebody with it is on the same tier and expecting a bug bomb to wipe out a room full of people.

you're right

they should have called it Blaze and BLAZINGA

I don't know whether that would be absolutely hilarious or cringey to the point of making your face a black hole.

I don't get it, the names look goofy, but how is this as bad as rewriting plots or putting sjw shit in the translation?

Please run yourself over with one of Chairman Mao's tanks, chink.

Holy fuck this can't be real. They're fucking laughing at everyone.

Worst change would have to be the ability Half-Inch(steal).

Now that it seems like the accents won't be nearly as harsh but feminist agendas seem to be forced into it, do you think any of the costumes will be censored for Maribel?

Holy fuck Snoop Dogg really did write the spell names.

Underrated post.

What the fuck is there to censor? She dressed more conservatively than most Western harlots today.

Oh, wait, I forget, leftists are mentally ill.

Still don't know if the Slots are still in DQ73DS either.

Could have use a Reality Checker instead.

There is nothing wrong with Blaze.

Sizz is far more accurate since it's based on the concept of glittering and shining, while Frizz is the odd one out.

Taoism was conceived before white migration or dominance.
Hinduism, if you're incorrectly asserting the Chinese are actually Hindi, was also home-grown in India.
Hinduism's competitor Buddhism has had roots in China, but also has no major ties with whitey in origin or even development.
Shinto, however, has most of its enduring elements ripped from Ryukyu spiritualism, Taoism, or Buddhism.

These have been the names in the english version for years now it's just consistency

Siddharta was a blue eyed Aryan Kshatriya.

Borgia please go.

It's onomatopoeias. Anyone flipping out over this needs to get mad at the Japanese one first.

Sorry, it has been a while.

They are trying to make it into a quirky meme game…

It will only get worse if you don't put your foot down.
Remember Bravery Default?

If we're lucky, everything being done to DQ7 3DS will crossover onto FFXV.

Damn, Ms Frizzle's pretty hot now I guess