The Witcher

So is this series any good? I remember playing the first one and it being okay, but nothing special. Anyone played through the three and have a IT SUCKS ASS or ITS PRETTY GOOD opinion of it?

The first and second have retarded god-awful combat, the second one less so though. Other than that I heard the story is bretty good.

Just started playing the first one yesterday. While the combat is Essentially just timed clicking and occasionally changing Fighting Styles, I've been having a blast. For comparison, this weekend I played through Metro 2033, Last Light and Shadow Warrior 2013.

First one is the only good one it gets worse after that.

1 is a very rough game. Poor animations, graphics, voice acting, combat etc. but a solid story that turns to great during the last two/three chapters. I recommend people to try it out and stick with it.

2 has a lot more polish. A lot more. Better everything other than perhaps choice/RPG quality, even with the chapter 2 differences. The game suffers from a bit more of a console approach, but certainly due to the game only being about two thirds finished. The last act is quite quick.

3 is great. I'm still going through it, but I'm loving it. Lot of problems though. Animations can get wonky due to terrain and such, horse controls get weird sometimes. Open world nature means the urgency/flow/pacing of the overall story is greatly affected.

Play them. I think they're great, but won't be for everyone. Don't go in expecting top tier RPG mechanics, you play as the Witcher Geralt and all the restraints that entails for choice.

The Witcher 1 is fucking amazing in my opinion, especially considering CDPR used neverwinter nights 2 engine to make it.

nwn1s engine, my bad

The first one's combat is probably the worst, but it's actually kinda fun anyways.

The second one's combat is difficult at first because everyone has a shield, so you should get the spec point that makes your bombs stronger and create a bunch of grapeshot at the start of the game and just blow shit up with them. It gets easier later because they stop throwing enemies that can block at you.

Witcher 3's combat is like 2, but easier somehow.

If you care about story, you'll appreciate the witcher not just for being good, but different somehow from your usual media. All other modern AAA vidya could have been written by a machine without anyone noticing, Witcher games still have some character and flair and soul. It gets a bit more hollywood 'epic' in 2 and 3 though, I guess.

Personally think the time to beat 3 and see everything is much longer than it's worth, because the stupid open-world mechanics are just a lot of useless padding in the end. They made the game bigger, they didn't make it better in the same proportion.

Combat sucks in all three games, they're still euro action rpgs. Doesn't make them unplayable but marathoning two of them back to back would be very fucking tedious.

THE MOTHERFUCKING SCREEN TEARING IS MAKING THIS GAME UNPLAYABLE FOR ME I HAVE TRIED TO CREATE A PROFILE IN MY DRIVER SUITE BUT IT DOESN'T HELP THE GAME KEEPS FUCKING CRASHING FOR NO REASON AND AT RANDOM INTERVALS BUT AT LEAST IT'S NOT FREQUENT ENOUGH TO BE A PROBLEM GERALT PROBABLY HAS SOME SORT OF GANGRENE OR STD ON HIS DICK FROM FUCKING ANYTHING THAT MOVES WHAT A FUCKING DEVIANT THE COMBAT IS SORT OF SHITTY BUT IT'S ALRIGHT I DIDN'T EXPECT MUCH AS LONG AS YOU CARRY ENOUGH POTIONS AND SPREAD YOUR ENEMIES OUT SO THEY CAN'T SURROUND YOU YOU'LL BE FINE THE STORY MAKES NO GOD DAMNED SENSE TO ME BEYOND "I HAVE TO FIND THE GUY WHO TRASHED MY HOUSE AND TOOK MY THINGS" THE ELVES IN THIS GAME ARE A BUNCH OF FAGGOTS FUCKING DROWNERS I AM SICK OF THEM THEY'RE MORE ANNOYING THAN PIDGEY AND RATTATA AT THIS POINT

MY KEYBOARD IS BROKEN THE CAPS LOCK KEY IS PERMANENTLY PRESSED MAYBE I SHOULD JUST STOP POSTING NOW

First one was good, second was okay, haven't played third one(yet). I feel that apart from graphics, the second game didn't really improve. For me, the only interesting thing that I found nice in the second game was how different the game was depending on which path you take.
Jacques de Aldersberg did nothing wrong

He dedicated his whole life to a complex plan to solve a problem that was solved casually by the original mary sue adopted magic kid only a year later.

His whole life was a failure.

well, I did watch my brother play through the game. I wasn't that happy with the plot of the main quest. I also didn't like how the scoiatel had such a minor role in the game. What I especially hated was what the bastard writers did to radovid. He was such a chill guy in the previous 2 games. I mean sure he did blind philippa, but he sort of did have a reason. and why did they change white frost from normal ice age to some apocalyptic silly death coldness stuff?

It's a CRPG, not an action game. Combat is about having the right potions/buffs going in and using the right signs and stances.

1 isn't an action rpg you dumb fuck.

I guess they didn't have the resources to implement all the possible scenarios previous games could lead to. The politics were a side story after all. After the nobility opposing Radovid had been wiped out, the Temerians selling out to Nilfgaard if Radovid was married to Foltest's oldest child and was fostering the other one couldn't have been explained without the madness thing.

All witcher plots are boring, utter shit. You must be some pollak wanking about the only internationally recognized products of his country - a shitty generic grimdork fantasy story starring the self-insert character of some shitty pollak writer.

I share basically all your opinions, I'm probably only a third of the way through 3 right now and so far I've felt 2 to be the weakest of the lot.

For story, 1 has the best. It's a good mix between small scale daily problems and large scale conspiracies. 2's story has a really good setup in the prologue and payoff at the very end but 90% of the game is just meandering around doing mostly unrelated shit because it just happens to be between you and where you're going. 3 so far the story feels really weak because it hinges so much on you being emotionally invested in Ciri and Yen who have essentially not been in the games at all and the open world format means you have about a million more interesting things to be doing at any given time than looking for the characters you don't know or care about.

Gameplay wise I think 3 is probably overall the best though they all do some things better than each other in like a merry go round manner where as one aspect gets improved another falls apart. Combat in 1 is pretty much a write-off on the action component, functioning more or less like MMO or crpg combat where you watch animations play out and stats handle hits and misses, but it has a good potion system and the Strong/Fast/Group sword styles make sword combat the most strategic of all of the games. 2 Improves on the action aspect by making hits and misses all skill based but the animations and hitboxes are clunky, Fast/Strong/Group is gone for just heavy and light attacks with no strategic differences and the potion system is notably busted in many places. 3 fixes the animation and hitbox problems, fixes the potions a bit but not quite to 1's level, and makes spells the most useful and interesting where in 1 and 2 they're pretty rudimentary.

I think if you like long and complex stories with characters being shades of grey instead of morally black and white and can put up with combat that's like 80% whether or not you've read a book to find out which potion to chug and 20% execution then you'd like the Witcher series. If you want a game where the combat is super hard and requires minmaxing and quick reflexes then you'll be disappointed.

l-lewd

The first game is a cRPG, the other 2 are ARPGs

1>3>2 in terms of how good they are

incredibly long games that are very unsatisfying to play. Unless you hate game play, you may find something to enjoy about them, but you're better off spending your time playing good games. That is what the medium is about after all.

Don't push this garbage series on us. Witcher is an action game and more similar to popamole than a CRPG.

it's about as bad as crpgs, so it's a reasonable mistake? Is it really a mistake? You rpg people are so ridiculous with your definitions.

Unless you're a journalist who only knows entry level stuff like BG and PT, this is bait.

I wouldn't trust someone who is entertained by games with nonexistent game play.

Good thing I play CRPG's for the gameplay then, like KotC. It's not my fault you have such shit taste that you can't find any good games and prefer storygames.

what are CRPGs if not story games with about as much game play as an operating system?

I see, your problem is that you get your game reccomendations from top 10's and journalists or Holla Forums. Maybe if you stopped doing that you would realize that story games have always been the vocal minority of crpg's that the original players always despised for ruining the genre to make it look that way to easily fooled retards like you.

you can try and strawman as much as you want, but nothing you said has been true so far. You aren't very smart for someone who plays the "smartest" genre of games. I expect no less from you PC mouth breathers however

How did people sit through this? Story is cool and all but just like VTMB it turns to shit when you actually play the game.

I'm not a storyfag, but I love the stories in these games. I think that TW1 is my favorite in terms of lore/atmosphere and TW3 is the best overall, 2 was alright but didn't really excel at anything
I'm heavily biased because I'm a Slav

The original is god tier, the sequel has some moments but the story has a weebnovel-like route split that fucks up the whole pacing. The 3rd is okay-ish in a Skyrim sort of way.

a lot more polish what?

3>1>2

1 and 3 are amazing games. Great world to explore and very well written and interesting. 2 looked great (when it came out) but it feels more confined and linear.

No they are all dogshit, though the first one is the least dogshit and has some neat sidequests but don't bother with the sequels. If you really like the story, characters, or setting then just read the books.

I hope you don't do this

Oh shit I put sage in the subject field, fucking kill me I hate witcher threads even more than overshit

comfy

Then what are you wasting your time here for? Use some of your slav magic and make us some vidya gaems.